Steve Hutchinson?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Is a consultant for the Seahawks now and was in the war room for the draft? I'm sorry, but f**k him. There's a short list of former players that I have absolutely zero use for and Hutch is one of them. Yes, he was probably the best OG in NFL history, but I'm still not over the "poison pill" bullsh*t and how complicit he was in making it happen. I don't care how good of a job he does as a talent scout now, he's persona non grata as far as I'm concerned.

Hutchinson has no fault here, the issue was with Tim Russell trying to save pennies.

The transition tag was an idiotic decision on Ruskell’s part. There were promises made to Hutchinson that Ruskell didn’t care about keeping

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
More so a Ruskell bad move…I’m over Hutch leaving Seattle…it pretty much cemented Holmgren done in Seattle as the offensive line deteriorated drastically…

If Hutch can help Seattle now return to offensive line prominence—man, I’m all for it!

Hutch, leaving was bad, real bad, but there has been trades done during the Carroll years that was in my opinion way worse than Hutch and the transition tag….

Bobblehead

Reaction score
How naive can people be? If you truly believe that Ruskell came up with using the transition tag without Hutch's agent requesting it, I have a Nigerian prince that you can help out.

If you believe that Hutch's agent requested it without Hutch's approval, I have another Nigerian prince you can help out.

If you believe that the Vikings came up with the provision that Hutchinson would have to be the highest paid lineman with a provision so that the Seahawks could not revise the terms of Walter Jones' contract to make a contract work with Hutchinson without his agent assisting in the terms to get Hutchinson out of Seattle, I have yet another Nigerian prince that you can help.

Hutchinson did not want to continue playing for the Seahawks. His agent played Ruskell like a fiddle and then played the PR game to keep Hutchinson from being hated. Apparently PT Barnum was right judging by these posts.
Mike Holmgren is quoted as saying that Ruskell promised a franchise tag..and while Mike was on his hawaii vacation, Ruskell behind, Mikes back, gave him the transaction tag, being betrayed by the Hawks front office, why would he want to come back?

BASF

Reaction score
Mike Holmgren is quoted as saying that Ruskell promised a franchise tag..and while Mike was on his hawaii vacation, Ruskell behind, Mikes back, gave him the transaction tag, being betrayed by the Hawks front office, why would he want to come back?
Why would I want who back?

Jac

Reaction score
I think bobblehead, means, why would Hutch want to come back to Seattle, after Ruskell had placed Hutch on the transition tag, instead of the franchise tag….
That's what I never understood about this whole thing. Hutchinson was free to negotiate whatever deal he could, and Seattle could match it. A player of his caliber could really drive up his price that way. Was getting the transition tag instead of the franchise tag that much of a diss to go completely nuclear? I'm probably missing something. And of course Hutchinson is complicit in this whole thing. The poison pill wouldn't have happened if he didn't agree to it.

morgulon1

Reaction score
How naive can people be? If you truly believe that Ruskell came up with using the transition tag without Hutch's agent requesting it, I have a Nigerian prince that you can help out.

If you believe that Hutch's agent requested it without Hutch's approval, I have another Nigerian prince you can help out.

If you believe that the Vikings came up with the provision that Hutchinson would have to be the highest paid lineman with a provision so that the Seahawks could not revise the terms of Walter Jones' contract to make a contract work with Hutchinson without his agent assisting in the terms to get Hutchinson out of Seattle, I have yet another Nigerian prince that you can help.

Hutchinson did not want to continue playing for the Seahawks. His agent played Ruskell like a fiddle and then played the PR game to keep Hutchinson from being hated. Apparently PT Barnum was right judging by these posts.
So....

This is all Hutchinson and we're stupid.

Got it.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Is a consultant for the Seahawks now and was in the war room for the draft? I'm sorry, but f**k him. There's a short list of former players that I have absolutely zero use for and Hutch is one of them. Yes, he was probably the best OG in NFL history, but I'm still not over the "poison pill" bullsh*t and how complicit he was in making it happen. I don't care how good of a job he does as a talent scout now, he's persona non grata as far as I'm concerned.
I felt exactly that same way for a very long time. I started letting go when I heard stuff about Holmgren playing favorites, and hints of a dysfunctional locker room. If Hutch thought it was a toxic environment, then I don't blame him for wanting to leave. That doesn't excuse the poison pill, though, and the lying about it. But for me, enough time has passed for it to be bygones.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Now, now... SA37 disagrees.
I remember at the time, SA said it was a "once in a lifetime offer." My response, then as now, was that it was actually a "twice in one week offer." Hutch just made sure the equal offers represented unequal risk to the teams making them.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I thought the transition tag occurred because Ruskell went on vacation and had his secretary handle the paperwork, and they missed the deadline to counter while Ruskell was still on vacation? Something like that.

Regardless, it was slimy by him, his agent and the Vikings, and pure incompetence by Ruskell.

Hutchinson (I refuse to acknowledge the nickname "Hutch." Dude can eat s***) has been a consultant for a couple seasons now, so it is what it is.

I was furious that they brought Aaron Curry as an assistant linebackers coach a few seasons back too. Boo them all

BlueTalon

Reaction score

Bingo.

The reason I hated Hutch for so long is that in one week he went from not knowing that the poison pill language was in the contract, to knowing the poison pill language was in the contract, to being the one who asked for that language to be there. That was the basis for the Special Master's decision saying the poison pill language was legitimate. (That doesn't excuse his decision saying that the language about the highest paid lineman being determined by the date that contract was signed. That whole business stunk like crazy.)

Last edited:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I thought the transition tag occurred because Ruskell went on vacation and had his secretary handle the paperwork, and they missed the deadline to counter while Ruskell was still on vacation? Something like that.

Regardless, it was slimy by him, his agent and the Vikings, and pure incompetence by Ruskell.

Hutchinson (I refuse to acknowledge the nickname "Hutch." Dude can eat s***) has been a consultant for a couple seasons now, so it is what it is.

I was furious that they brought Aaron Curry as an assistant linebackers coach a few seasons back too. Boo them all
Transition Tag happened when Holmgren was on vacation with Ruskell going behind Holmy’s back at least that is the story that has been told. I always wondered if it was a power play between Hutch and Walter Jones that Hutch wanted to be the leader of the O line and it wasn’t happening playing with Jones

Sounds like there was a toxic HC/GM relationship between Holmgren and Ruskell

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Sounds like there was a toxic HC/GM relationship between Holmgren and Ruskell
I'm pretty sure that happened somewhere along the way. I'm thinking of things like keeping two punters while cutting Michael Bennett* in the preseason, Ruskell signing TJ Duckett and Holmgren never using him, things like that.

*When I think of Ruskell doing a boneheaded move, this is what I think of, not the Hutch situation.

Rat

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that happened somewhere along the way. I'm thinking of things like keeping two punters while cutting Michael Bennett* in the preseason, Ruskell signing TJ Duckett and Holmgren never using him, things like that.

*When I think of Ruskell doing a boneheaded move, this is what I think of, not the Hutch situation.
Ah yes, the Mare/Coutu two-headed placekicking monster. I thought that was going to revolutionize league roster construction.

I don't remember if anything came out about this, but I remember being super hyped when we traded for Jason Babin, only for the coach to barely play him. We cut him because we needed the room after that Keary Colbert panic trade, and then he became one of the league's best pass rushers, even notching an 18-sack season with the Eagles.