Steve Hutchinson gets inshrined into the PFHOF

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Today hutch finally gets into that yellow jacket. We all know the story behind the pill. Whether you've erased him entirely from your Seahawks memory bank, or you prefer to look back on his time here with a sheepish grin, there's no denying that he was one of the premier players at his position and deserving so of his place in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The famous and controversial "poison pill" that brought the prime of Steve Hutchinson's hall of fame career to Minnesota and led to an NFL rule change probably never would have happened if then-Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren had been in the office on that fateful day back on Feb. 23, 2006.

https://m.startribune.com/how-a-bitter- ... 600085659/

Jville

Reaction score
A link to John Boyd's article entitled ""Relentless" Seahawks Legend Steve Hutchinson Joins Pro Football Hall Of Fame Saturday" >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/relentless-seahawks-legend-steve-hutchinson-joins-pro-football-hall-of-fame-satu[/urltargetblank]

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm still white hot about that poison pill BS. How we could ever let him go is still beyond me. Same with Kevin Mawae.

kidhawk

Reaction score
This one is really hard for me to figure out. I loved him here as a player but the way he left really stung. I have a jersey that I’ve added each seahawks hof’er number to but I’m just not sure if I’ll pull that trigger for Hurch or not. With that said he definitely deserves his place on the hof.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hutch deserves a spot in HOF as he was the best LG in the game during his playing days. The poison pill is all Tim Ruskell's doing. It wouldn't have happened if Ruskell just did what he told Holmgren he was going to do - franchise Hutchinson. The only GMs worse than Ruskell is Tom Flores (as a Seahawk GM). Thank God none of these GMs are around the Seahawk organization anymore.

https://news.yahoo.com/bitter-pill-...KbRGLgSx9VJ-jGEbq-sDyLaZnJT5rDbbmgDDOC6DAQflc

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Aros":2vyr97y4 said:
I'm still white hot about that poison pill BS. How we could ever let him go is still beyond me. Same with Kevin Mawae.

Kevin Mawae was a legit FA, so we can't complain he took the best deal out there.

However, the Hutch thing was complete unprecedented Bullshit. The NFL should never had allowed the poison pill contract. Oh wait, it's illegal now. Too late! Hutch is a HOF Viking. Good for him. Has nothing to do with us.

Yah, I'm still bitter.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1gt5mwpm said:
The only GMs worse than Ruskell is Tom Flores (as a Seahawk GM). Thank God none of these GMs are around the Seahawk organization anymore.

Truth. Tom Flores was a great coach, terrible GM. If we had a legit GM who know a QB from a Turnip, those teams in the early '90s would not have been so hard to watch.

seabowl

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":24f0e3qh said:
Aros":24f0e3qh said:

Kevin Mawae was a legit FA, so we can't complain he took the best deal out there.

However, the Hutch thing was complete unprecedented $h!t. The NFL should never had allowed the poison pill contract. Oh wait, it's illegal now. Too late! Hutch is a HOF Viking. Good for him. Has nothing to do with us.

Yah, I'm still bitter.

True story. I was at Jets training camp after Mawae left and yelled to him he should be in Kirkland. His response was I like it better here. I think he wanted out from Seattle

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I watched all the 2020 speeches tonight. Some very good ones. Of course I am biased because Steve was with us for five seasons so to me he's still a Seahawk regardless of the BS after his fifth year, but his speech was incredible.

No teleprompter, no notes...Not that that is a negative for those that use those tools (I would!) but I can't get over how eloquent he spoke and how many names he rolled off his tongue in just over 6 minutes! I am lucky if I can recall my wife's name sometimes. He even said how he regretted how things went down there in the end with the Seahawks but they have mended fences, so all is good in my book with him.

He gave plenty of shout outs to former Seahawks. Jones, Tobeck, Gray, Alexander, Hass and others. He even mentioned the humility of class organizations he got to play for. So let's cut him a break. Does he deserve ROH? That's clearly up for debate but imagine if Russ had Jones and Hutch on his left side throughout his career. Wow.

Congrats Hutch.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":34bipe64 said:
I watched all the 2020 speeches tonight. Some very good ones. Of course I am biased because Steve was with us for five seasons so to me he's still a Seahawk regardless of the BS after his fifth year, but his speech was incredible.

No teleprompter, no notes...Not that that is a negative for those that use those tools (I would!) but I can't get over how eloquent he spoke and how many names he rolled off his tongue in just over 6 minutes! I am lucky if I can recall my wife's name sometimes. He even said how he regretted how things went down there in the end with the Seahawks but they have mended fences, so all is good in my book with him.

He gave plenty of shout outs to former Seahawks. Jones, Tobeck, Gray, Alexander, Hass and others. He even mentioned the humility of class organizations he got to play for. So let's cut him a break. Does he deserve ROH? That's clearly up for debate but imagine if Russ had Jones and Hutch on his left side throughout his career. Wow.

Congrats Hutch.

I think the fact that Tobeck was the one who introduced him was telling and his comment about saying he would have loved to play next to Jones his whole career as well. Lots of his former Seahawks team mates there, Hass Chris Grey, he even called out Locklear in thanks.

Jville

Reaction score
Link to Steve Hutchinson's Hall of Fame Speech >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/video/live-video/[/urltargetblank]

Rat

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2mtrtmu7 said:
Aros":2mtrtmu7 said:

However, the Hutch thing was complete unprecedented $h!t. The NFL should never had allowed the poison pill contract. Oh wait, it's illegal now. Too late! Hutch is a HOF Viking. Good for him. Has nothing to do with us.

Yah, I'm still bitter.

I agree with you. Honestly, I thought the transition tag was a shrewd move by Ruskell and I supported it at the time. I assume he would not have done it if he thought something like this was any kind of possibility.

sutz

Reaction score
Rat":1sq4ffcg said:
Hawkstorian":1sq4ffcg said:
Aros":1sq4ffcg said:

Yah, I'm still bitter.

I agree with you. Honestly, I thought the transition tag was a shrewd move by Ruskell and I supported it at the time. I assume he would not have done it if he thought something like this was any kind of possibility.
Indeed. Hutch should have been a Seahawk for life. :229031_banghead:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Aros":30207hly said:

Likewise!

Russell certainly screwed that situation up. They never should have allowed Hutch to be in that situation and disrespected him. Mawaewas pure stupidity.

GaiusMarius

Reaction score
Russell did screw up the situation.

But Hutchinson did not have to agree to the poison pill. I'll call what he said about playing next to Jones what it is...bunk. A nice bit of hindsight ignoring his actions and decisions as a grown man.

That was his decision as much as Russell's mistake.
So good for the Vikings that they got a player into the HOF.

RiverDog

Reaction score
GaiusMarius":24od0008 said:

But Hutchinson did not have to agree to the poison pill. I'll call what he said about playing next to Jones what it is...bunk. A nice bit of hindsight ignoring his actions and decisions as a grown man.

I agree with this take. Hutch stood to make a boat load of money no matter who he signed with, but he chose to leave a defending conference champion for a .500ish team. It was an underhanded lawyer trick that he knew would result in him leaving the team.

Ruskell screwed up big time by trying to pinch pennies instead of slapping the FT on him, but that's hindsight. Fact is he was sucker punched. The deal was that Hutch could still go out on the FA market and bring back an offer and the Hawks would match it.

chris98251

Reaction score
GaiusMarius":vnlt9st0 said:

No he didn't but in his position Ruskell used him as a pawn and disrespected him, you have to remember that Ruskell and Holmgren were at odds also and this was Ruskells jab and Holmgren telling him really I am the Boss. Everything went down hill from there till it bottomed out with Mora as Coach.

evergreen

Reaction score
Remember we signed Alexander after that instead. As if he was the important cog in the system! Any NFL back was getting 1300 yards behind that line. Can you imagine Marshawn??? Or Russ with that line???