Steven Hauschka

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Like him well enough too but recall at least one PAT that was blocked this year because of it being kicked too low. Would be nice if he could improve it but perhaps that's 'just how he kicks best.'

timmat

Reaction score
timmat":83aeh765 said:
I think it's actually a pretty tough call. You can't argue with his performance historically, which is the bottom line I suppose. But are we paying for his past, or what we are currently seeing and how we think he will perform in the future?

My hesitation comes because it appears he kicks about the flattest ball in the league - both kickoffs and field goals. I keep waiting for it to bight us in a really important spot. He's been this way most of his time in Seattle though. But it seems like this year even his extra points aren't getting good height to comfortably clear the line. My season tickets are in the south endzone up just a bit, pretty much center cut. You regularly see opposing teams kickers have the ball reach near the top of the goal posts in height at some point during the flight of the extra point or field goal. With Hausch - even on short kicks, he's at about middle of the way up max height. And I don't mean where the ball lands. It concerns me that even from extra point distance, almost every single kick is just scraping over the top of the blockers outstretched arms. But, the guy has consistently produced.

I think the entire kicking unit (snapper / holder / kicker) haven't been real smooth this year, but that reflects mostly on the kicker - deserved or not.

After tonight, I feel strongly that although it's been a good run, it's time to move on from him.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I think he's been a great kicker for us and it would be a gamble to get rid of him. Looks like the Cards have gotten into his head a bit, other than that he's been money for us. It's not broke and doesn't need fixing.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
As much as I can't stand him this season, you really have no other option but to pay the man

Ilinoiseyhawk

Reaction score
No. He's having a bit of an off year. Dan Bailey is having an off year, too. It happens. Kickers sometimes lose their mojo here and their but compare him that scrub the Bucs picked up in the 2nd round, and you'll feel a lot better about what we have.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I agree it's a gamble. It just seems like he's missing easy kicks, and I'm not convinced that we can't get similar production elsewhere. The guy's not Vinatieri

At the same time, Vinatieri is a HOF. And looking at some of the other kickers around the league, 90% is not bad. But still, I'm more focused on situational football and he seems to be missing CRUCIAL kicks. I can deal with a miss in the 1st quarter but not multiple game changing misses

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Draft new kicker for club control on the cheap. Move money to O-line.

strohmin

Reaction score
Our special teams blocking is big time fail. They don't give him a clear lane to kick and its in his head.

HawkMark1976

Reaction score
Folks it time to re build the team by shedding salary on Defense, WR, TE, kickers and spend the money getting better O linemen.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
ivotuk":pgioqt8a said:
You pay him.

There's few, if any kickers more accurate, more dependable, and that can hit 50+ yarders day in and day out.

Of course you could be like Minnesota, get the best college kicker to come along in a long time, then watch him miss a gimmee kick and get you eliminated from the playoffs. Then lose more games for you.

You pay Hauschka. Because you won't find a better kicker.

Of course, if he'd have been more accurate, more dependable, on kicks and extra points that are generally considered gimmes, we'd be 2-0 vs. Arizona this year, we'd be 11-4 this year on the season, and would have shored up the #2 spot in the playoffs, something which may well come back to get us eliminated from the playoffs.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I'd definitely get rid of Nolan "Try to catch this!" Frese before considering getting rid of the dynamic duo of Jon Ryan and Steven Hauschka. They can't do their job when other players are throwing wild snaps and failing to block guys on the line.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
The Outfield":oyx069q7 said:
I'd definitely get rid of Nolan "Try to catch this!" Frese before considering getting rid of the dynamic duo of Jon Ryan and Steven Hauschka. They can't do their job when other players are throwing wild snaps and failing to block guys on the line.

I think it has to do more with the line and the low trajectory kicks at times than it does with the snaps. A lot is made of the snaps but I imagine if Pete thought it was an issue that it is such a cheap easy fix that it would have at least been looked at. Not another ls'er brought in to be looked at all year, nothing. If he was so brutal how are the best eyes in the biz missing it.

The Outfield

Reaction score
flmmkrz":1m62ar62 said:
The Outfield":1m62ar62 said:

I think it has to do more with the line and the low trajectory kicks at times than it does with the snaps. A lot is made of the snaps but I imagine if Pete thought it was an issue that it is such a cheap easy fix that it would have at least been looked at. Not another ls'er brought in to be looked at all year, nothing. If he was so brutal how are the best eyes in the biz missing it.

Same reason our Bevell is still here and our OL still sucks. I'm not so sure they have the best eyes in the business, at least at deciding who needs to stay/go. Gresh going was a cap decision, and keeping Frese may still be a cap decision, but at some point you gotta think about how this guy can cost you the playoffs with these inconsistent snaps that we almost never had to worry about with Gresh.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
The Outfield":8n43xu7k said:
flmmkrz":8n43xu7k said:
The Outfield":8n43xu7k said:

Same reason our Bevell is still here and our OL still sucks. I'm not so sure they have the best eyes in the business, at least at deciding who needs to stay/go. Gresh going was a cap decision, and keeping Frese may still be a cap decision, but at some point you gotta think about how this guy can cost you the playoffs with these inconsistent snaps that we almost never had to worry about with Gresh.

Well those are entirely different. They knew the oline sucked and tried to address it, it just didn't get any better. The eyes did see the problem tho. As for Bevell, like there is here, there is disagreement about Bevell and Petes loyalty to him bought him this year, but I do believe it's his last barring a great playoff but neither of these problems can be addressed in season with any success so you're stuck. Plugging in another long snapper, one that is familiar with system is a lot easier and for the minimal savings I can't see them risking the season for that. I can't see them believing it's a problem because it's such an easy fix. Hell they were willing to cut our leading rusher mid season for a back who showed nothing based on their belief in him so they must see something in Frese they like because the amount is paltry.

chris98251

Reaction score
flmmkrz":uahnwjx7 said:
The Outfield":uahnwjx7 said:
flmmkrz":uahnwjx7 said:
The Outfield":uahnwjx7 said:

Well those are entirely different. They knew the oline sucked and tried to address it, it just didn't get any better. The eyes did see the problem tho. As for Bevell, like there is here, there is disagreement about Bevell and Petes loyalty to him bought him this year, but I do believe it's his last barring a great playoff but neither of these problems can be addressed in season with any success so you're stuck. Plugging in another long snapper, one that is familiar with system is a lot easier and for the minimal savings I can't see them risking the season for that. I can't see them believing it's a problem because it's such an easy fix. Hell they were willing to cut our leading rusher mid season for a back who showed nothing based on their belief in him so they must see something in Frese they like because the amount is paltry.

What they see is he can get down field quickly on Punts for coverage. That's it.

djb28

Reaction score
Keep him. None of these kickers can seem to make an extra point any more.

Maybe instead of trying to boot 60 yarders in practice and before games they should try extra points instead,

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":823563pj said:
Draft new kicker for club control on the cheap. Move money to O-line.

Remember going cheap has given us the crappy long snapper we have.

Pay the man.

Hawks46

Reaction score
strohmin":el09s878 said:
Our special teams blocking is big time fail. They don't give him a clear lane to kick and its in his head.

This. Get him better blocking, and more consistent snaps. Both the blocking and snaps are getting to him.

He missed that PAT on Saturday because he had an AZ player running at him from the right. You could see it: he saw the guy and pulled the kick left to avoid getting blocked. Which it would have if he kicked it straight.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
I would argue that if you could go back and put in our regular long snapper, his misses go down by half. The shaken confidence of the group chasing high/low snaps weighs on the minds of everyone on the field, even the defense coming after the ball. Letting the defensive left end rusher go fast and free several times has rushed him to pull left more than once. If anyone needs let go....its the snapper, followed by the ST coach that cant figure out that 2 foot gaps between your blockers, especially either side of the center, is......a recipe for disaster. JMHO

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Depends on how much he wants in free agency. I don't see him getting, or even worth, $3 million per season based on this year alone.

If he can get signed for under $3 million, then bring in competition to challenge him