Steven Hauschka

253hawk

Reaction score
I'm sure glad the majority of people on this board aren't in charge of the roster. Guy has had one rough year (and still a pretty decent one by most kicker standards) and everyone is just dumping on him. FG-wise, he was better this year than he was in 2014. And we went from having a solid line and an amazing long snapper to...well, what we have now. Give the guy a damn break. I hope he drills a game-winning 50 yarder in the SB and makes everyone shut their stupid faces.

Optimus25

Reaction score
253hawk":2bo2gqbz said:
I'm sure glad the majority of people on this board aren't in charge of the roster. Guy has had one rough year (and still a pretty decent one by most kicker standards) and everyone is just dumping on him. FG-wise, he was better this year than he was in 2014. And we went from having a solid line and an amazing long snapper to...well, what we have now. Give the guy a damn break. I hope he drills a game-winning 50 yarder in the SB and makes everyone shut their stupid faces.

I'm not googling anything because i don't care that much... But to say this has been a pretty decent season kinda baffles me. I would rather have that buster ass Aguayo in Tampa right now. If our game in Atlanta comes down to a PAT try I'll literally have a heart attack. Im with you in that it's too early to play jury and executioner, and i hope he does come thru on a big kick, but at this point i think OP had a valid conversation started... If nothing big changes the landscape, Steven needs to be ready for a pay cut because i think the FO has plenty of ammo, like losing a division game by shanking a 20 yarder by 47 meters.

253hawk

Reaction score
Optimus25":2zj8ic2d said:
I'm not googling anything because i don't care that much... But to say this has been a pretty decent season kinda baffles me. I would rather have that buster ass Aguayo in Tampa right now. If our game in Atlanta comes down to a PAT try I'll literally have a heart attack. Im with you in that it's too early to play jury and executioner, and i hope he does come thru on a big kick, but at this point i think OP had a valid conversation started... If nothing big changes the landscape, Steven needs to be ready for a pay cut because i think the FO has plenty of ammo, like losing a division game by shanking a 20 yarder by 47 meters.

FGs:
2013: 33/35
2014: 31/37 (I don't recall hearing any chirping here, right after he re-signed and everything)
2016: 33/37

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really don't really give a rip about XPs and I don't think Pete does either, otherwise he'd probably try going for 2 now and then. I'll take a missed XP over a missed FG. He's still #3 in all-time accuracy...and people want him gone? Aguayo has missed 9 FGs this year -- more than anyone else in the league.

Leew72

Reaction score
253hawk":1qbz8elc said:
Optimus25":1qbz8elc said:

FGs:
2014: 31/37 (I don't recall hearing any chirping here, right after he re-signed and everything)

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really don't really give a rip about XPs and I don't think Pete does either, otherwise he'd probably try going for 2 now and then. I'll take a missed XP over a missed FG. He's still #3 in all-time accuracy...and people want him gone? Aguayo has missed 9 FGs this year -- more than anyone else in the league.

XPs are HUGE. If your team is trying to come back or trying to snuff out the hopes of the opposition there is nothing like a missed XP to get their tails back up after the blow of conceding a TD.

I believe his missed point against Arizona flattened our D in the next series.

I think Pete is probably very concerned that he starts to kick it a bit higher and on target

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
253hawk":gsg90hrp said:

I'm pretty sure Pete cares about points.

HawkerD

Reaction score
regardless it is going to cost him a lot of money on his next contract where ever he signs. XP thing is fixable. I say that because he is still doing a go job on FGs. Although it looks to me that the FGs aren't as true as they used to be. I would bet they could sign him for 3yrs/7.5M.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Notice the difference between the kickers and height they're putting on the ball. Granted Prater was kicking farther, but holy hell I didn't notice in real time how close Steven was to another blocked kick.

Attachments

• IMG_2759.JPG
    IMG_2759.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 668
  • IMG_2760.JPG
    IMG_2760.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 668

Optimus25

Reaction score
I'm no kicking guru but I found it really interesting that in my pics above you can see Steven snapping his head up to look at his kick versus Prater is head down following thru and his ball is well airborne already. Not knocking Hausch cause I couldn't say good or bad habit either way, and maybe he always does this, but if you're digging for a story line about kicker confidence, that might be a clue.

Stainlesssteve

Reaction score
253hawk":1ujybt6m said:
Optimus25":1ujybt6m said:

FGs:

Would be interesting to see those stats adjusted to include all PATs and remove kick attempts longer than 35 yards or so.

253hawk

Reaction score
Leew72":2ydbh1el said:
XPs are HUGE. If your team is trying to come back or trying to snuff out the hopes of the opposition there is nothing like a missed XP to get their tails back up after the blow of conceding a TD.

I believe his missed point against Arizona flattened our D in the next series.

I think Pete is probably very concerned that he starts to kick it a bit higher and on target

They're only huge if you put them under a microscope depending on the situation.

The missed XP against Arizona was because he had to pull it, otherwise the edge rusher would have blocked it anyway. Between the off-target snaps which slows down Ryan getting it in place and the OL letting players advance into the kicking lane, that's already ramping up the difficulty.

The one thing he should try to change is where it's being snapped from. He likes it way over on the hash mark for some reason.

EWA

Reaction score
Optimus25":1w3iyr6d said:
I'm no kicking guru but I found it really interesting that in my pics above you can see Steven snapping his head up to look at his kick versus Prater is head down following thru and his ball is well airborne already. Not knocking Hausch cause I couldn't say good or bad habit either way, and maybe he always does this, but if you're digging for a story line about kicker confidence, that might be a clue.

I was thinking the same. Prater is driving the ball where as Haush is trying to finesse the ball.

253hawk

Reaction score
Bunch of kicking-whisperer Freuds in here I guess. :roll:

AgentDib

Reaction score
It is important to note that there have been a lot of missed extra points this season league wide. Remember back in November when there were 12 missed in a single day?

One possible cause is that under the current rules there are minimal penalties for defenses that jump early on an extra point, whereas on a field goal it can give the opponent another set of downs and a chance to score a TD. Moving the ball back also removed the likelihood of a fake extra point leading to a two point conversion. Combined these two factors let special teams play extremely aggressively when attempting to block the extra point with minimal downside and that results in more blocks and pressure on kickers.

One way to adjust would be to go for the 2 point conversion more often. Last I saw teams were well over 50% when going for it this season. I wouldn't mind the Hawks adjusting their strategy on this over the offseason as I think we have the personnel to convert at a rate well above 50%.

A

Anonymous

The NFL got what it wanted by moving the EP back.

Haushka has still scored 844 points since he's been in the league, so don't be too hard on him. He joined the Seahawks in 2011 and has since become the 2nd all time leading scorer with 759 behind Norm Johnson's 810.

I'm gonna let him slide on the missed ones so far this year, but in the next three games he better get his act together.

:mrgreen:

Funny story: After Johnson missed that kick that cost us a huge game and ended the season, KISW FM had a crank call on the air that was calling local carpenters saying they needed bids to move all of Norm's kitchen cabinets 2 feet to the right.

Optimus25

Reaction score
AgentDib":qbx5hlum said:
It is important to note that there have been a lot of missed extra points this season league wide. Remember back in November when there were 12 missed in a single day?

One possible cause is that under the current rules there are minimal penalties for defenses that jump early on an extra point, whereas on a field goal it can give the opponent another set of downs and a chance to score a TD. Moving the ball back also removed the likelihood of a fake extra point leading to a two point conversion. Combined these two factors let special teams play extremely aggressively when attempting to block the extra point with minimal downside and that results in more blocks and pressure on kickers.

One way to adjust would be to go for the 2 point conversion more often. Last I saw teams were well over 50% when going for it this season. I wouldn't mind the Hawks adjusting their strategy on this over the offseason as I think we have the personnel to convert at a rate well above 50%.

Actually when you look at the stats there are many kickers nailing pats like nothing. Atlanta's kicker is like 57/57. Granted the average conversion rate is down but ours is an isolated case of absolute freefall.

A

Anonymous

Perhaps, but how many of those kicks that represent the decline were due to bad snaps?

Optimus25

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":6znpec60 said:
Perhaps, but how many of those kicks that represent the decline were due to bad snaps?

I've said for a long time that even good appearing snaps can have a unique timing or even spin that makes the kickers timing a split second different. I think frese was a disaster in every sense, but regardless none of that should explain the terribly low kicks as shown in my pics above...

He's way too low in any way you wanna analyze it, and I find that difficult to attribute to anything related to the snap.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
A lot of money for a guy that is no longer money..Seriously, someone posted thinking XP's are worthless? Where were you 2 weeks ago when we lost the bye week because of that miss...seriously deflated the team.