OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":38hu7yrq said:
dogorama":38hu7yrq said:
JesterHawk":38hu7yrq said:
Threats: A fickle portion of the fanbase that panics anytime the team loses or performs suboptimally in a victory which causes another portion of the fanbase to lambaste them as inferior fans leading to increased angst, namecalling, and general idiocy among said portions of the fanbase.

Although, I guess this can be listed as "Other" since it isn't really a threat to anything since it's just a very small, but exceptionally loud and obnoxious number of fans banging on drums and shouting incoherent, rambling thoughts, and cherry picked stats. Unless Pete Carroll has unbeknownst to me, unveiled "Seahawks.NET Rants Wednesdays" into the practice routine, the handwringing is pretty useless.

How are you really any different than them when you interject your opinions in a thread that has absolutely nothing to with that?
The existence of this thread presumes the team is in need of help that the present staff cannot provide, and further presumes that posters here are capable of providing a superior analysis than can be provided within the organisational structure of the Seahawks. it has everything to do with the uninformed second-guessing that takes place whenever the team stumbles.

The thread doesn't presume anything other than an organization can get "off track" and sometimes employs consultants to get a fresh perspective. The invitation to do a SWOT analysis doesn't direct anyone to take any position other that their own, and in fact, one poster listed all threats as external threats. That is their position and I respect that. You are also entitled to your own opinion if you choose to do an analysis. What you are not entitled to, or should not be entitled to, is to come on a thread and criticize everyone for expressing their analysis or opinions, if you will. If you have an agenda you would like to express on that subject I would suggest that you start your own thread.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2xwm45ot said:
lukerguy":2xwm45ot said:
Let me continue from my last post

Opportunities:
-Core of team is locked up long term. Coaches and GMs both received extensions. Continuity is king.
-Division seems to be a great situation. With the Rams moving it cuts travel down. We have fair challenges with STL and SF and great test with AZ. AZ window for greatness is short as they have been "charging the credit card" so to speak.
-Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn may provide opportunity to rejoin Seahawks in the future if they are let go. Both can contribute in different ways.
-Opportunity to get healthy. No one is gone for season on IR (knock on wood). Russ, Ifedi and RBs banged up. Jimmy improving every week. Team will excel when Russ gets full mobility back.
-Opportunity to get Jimmy Graham the ball more- even if covered. The trade will be worth it once Russ throws the ball even when it appears he is covered by one man. Wouldn't recommend double coverage, but he has been highly under-utilized. He's a top 10 player in the game when healthy.
-Team seems to have a level of camaraderie back which was stunted by Harvin/Chancellor issues. Opportunity to grow again as brotherhood.
-JS has managed the cap situations well. They may be able to cut certain players without large cap hits and add new players if under performance becomes rampant.
- Opportunity to improve offensive line play and continuity.

Threats:
- Lost hunger for success by experiencing previous success (human nature)
- Greed/jealous for what others have on team creates discord.
-Pete Carroll some day wants to go back to LA. JS wants to some day go back to GB. Pete Carroll retires without properly trained successor.
-Russell gets hurt because of level of protection. No back up plan.
-Level of play of stars like Earl Thomas regresses with age.
-Rams some day finally get franchise quarterback to go along with elite defense.
-Mega earthquake takes out CLINK or at least causes for major reconstruction costs (I know a little far but still a possible threat).
-Tom Cable moves on and Seahawks have poor offensive line skill and no master ZBS guru to teach it.

I like how you lay things out. Are you an accountant?

Have to admit that the earthquake scares me. Can we substitute a return of the Beastquake and put it in the "Opportunities" column?

Hello, thanks for the compliment. No, not an accountant but I do own a finance company.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Ahhhh. So there's where those spread sheet talents come from. :p

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
dogorama":3vfh2eiw said:
What you are not entitled to, or should not be entitled to, is to come on a thread and criticize everyone for expressing their analysis or opinions, if you will. If you have an agenda you would like to express on that subject I would suggest that you start your own thread.
You're inviting people to express their opinions about the team. Mine vary from yours in that I don't believe we are remotely qualified to do a SWOT analysis of the team, and that the notion that the Seahawks leadership is somehow incapable of identifying the need to seek additional assistance or to pursue it where appropriate (which they would already have done if they felt the need).

Just because my opinion is contrary to yours makes it no less valid in a thread inviting peoples' opinions.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1itqba99 said:
dogorama":1itqba99 said:
What you are not entitled to, or should not be entitled to, is to come on a thread and criticize everyone for expressing their analysis or opinions, if you will. If you have an agenda you would like to express on that subject I would suggest that you start your own thread.
You're inviting people to express their opinions about the team. Mine vary from yours in that I don't believe we are remotely qualified to do a SWOT analysis of the team, and that the notion that the Seahawks leadership is somehow incapable of identifying the need to seek additional assistance or to pursue it where appropriate (which they would already have done if they felt the need).

Just because my opinion is contrary to yours makes it no less valid in a thread inviting peoples' opinions.

Unless your opinion is that we don't have a right to OUR opinion.

olyfan63

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":5sbgzmhu said:
dogorama":5sbgzmhu said:

Kiwi, a more constructive thing to do would be simply ignore this thread and post where you actually have something to contribute. Sure, you have the "right" to express your opinion. But WHY do you need to do it here, and take the thread off track?

At last check, most fan message boards like this one expect and even encourage guesswork and speculation. "Qualification" is not a prerequisite; as has been repeatedly pointed out, most truly "qualified" individuals are receiving paychecks for their coaching and consulting services.

It would be awesome to read more SWOTs by other posters. Props to LukerGuy and others for their efforts. Really, a stab at a real SWOT is time-consuming enough it almost takes a separate post for each letter, S, W, O, T, like the two-part posts that LukerGuy did.

Right now the best-laid plans of PC/JS have been turned into hamburger by key injuries. A few things they hoped would work out clearly haven't, or at least haven't gelled yet. (OL, RBs, and TE's as example where things are in disarray) One thing we have seen is that PC/JS make adjustments. What adjustments will they choose to make? A SWOT is definitely a useful exercise and no doubt PC/JS are doing their own version of it full steam right now. Can't wait to see what PC/JS do. See how they adjust scheme to the situation. What players they go get. Which current players step up big-time. Tha's a big part of the fun and excitement of following this amazing team, front office, and coaching staff. It's interesting and even exciting to see what some of the fine football minds on .NET come up with (of course Kearly, but a personal favorite of mine is BigSkyDoc, followed by far too many others to list here), and then see which of those ideas then align with what PC/JS do, and what winds up working or whiffing. Fun stuff!

Now, can we get back to people posting their own SWOTs and critiquing others' actual SWOTs?

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":1grfsp6j said:
Kiwi, a more constructive thing to do would be simply ignore this thread and post where you actually have something to contribute. Sure, you have the "right" to express your opinion. But WHY do you need to do it here, and take the thread off track?

At last check, most fan message boards like this one expect and even encourage guesswork and speculation. "Qualification" is not a prerequisite; as has been repeatedly pointed out, most truly "qualified" individuals are receiving paychecks for their coaching and consulting services.

It would be awesome to read more SWOTs by other posters. Props to LukerGuy and others for their efforts. Really, a stab at a real SWOT is time-consuming enough it almost takes a separate post for each letter, S, W, O, T, like the two-part posts that LukerGuy did.

Right now the best-laid plans of PC/JS have been turned into hamburger by key injuries. A few things they hoped would work out clearly haven't, or at least haven't gelled yet. (OL, RBs, and TE's as example where things are in disarray) One thing we have seen is that PC/JS make adjustments. What adjustments will they choose to make? A SWOT is definitely a useful exercise and no doubt PC/JS are doing their own version of it full steam right now. Can't wait to see what PC/JS do. See how they adjust scheme to the situation. What players they go get. Which current players step up big-time. Tha's a big part of the fun and excitement of following this amazing team, front office, and coaching staff. It's interesting and even exciting to see what some of the fine football minds on .NET come up with (of course Kearly, but a personal favorite of mine is BigSkyDoc, followed by far too many others to list here), and then see which of those ideas then align with what PC/JS do, and what winds up working or whiffing. Fun stuff!

Now, can we get back to people posting their own SWOTs and critiquing others' actual SWOTs?
You've got me wrong - JesterHawk posted a Threat that he identified, which was dismissed by dogorama as having nothing to do with this thread, but I counter that the very existence of this thread shows that JesterHawk's identified Threat was a valid one. It's entirely on topic as it is a discussion of JesterHawk's proposed Threat.

However, I do find most posters here come from more of a blue-collar background, or at least not from such a corporately structure that spends time constructing formal SWOT analyses. It's likely to be viewed by many as fancy-pants middle-management claptrap.

I am also guilty of thinking that because none of us have the intimate knowledge of the team available to team management, the best we can possibly do is to be the proverbial blind men describing the elephant, except within a formalised structure many won't be familiar with.

At the end of the day this is all just a fancy way for people to express their opinions, which they can do without all the unnecessary overhead in many other threads which are more accessible to people without business management training.

So in conclusion, my opinion about this approach is:

Strengths:
Allows middle-management individuals an opportunity to express their opinions on the Seahawks in a familair way.
Invites discussion from people who are most comfortable operating within this formal structure

Weaknesses:
Formal structure may be a turn-off to posters unable or unwilling to invest the time in all four areas in order to present a post.
People unfamiliar with the structure may feel inhibited expressing ideas within the structured format
SWOT often seen as middle-management make-work by people outside the corporate environment

Opportunities:
Forcing people to consider both strengths and weaknesses may encourage fair-minded anlalysis
Any additional Seahwaks discussion is a good thing

Threats:
People who don't care for the format may say so
Possible stagnation if not enough people take up the SWOT structure rather than simply posting "Fire Bevell".

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1nwlcix3 said:
olyfan63":1nwlcix3 said:

You've got me wrong - JesterHawk posted a Threat that he identified, which was dismissed by dogorama as having nothing to do with this thread, but I counter that the very existence of this thread shows that JesterHawk's identified Threat was a valid one. It's entirely on topic as it is a discussion of JesterHawk's proposed Threat.

However, I do find most posters here come from more of a blue-collar background, or at least not from such a corporately structure that spends time constructing formal SWOT analyses. It's likely to be viewed by many as fancy-pants middle-management claptrap.

I am also guilty of thinking that because none of us have the intimate knowledge of the team available to team management, the best we can possibly do is to be the proverbial blind men describing the elephant, except within a formalised structure many won't be familiar with.

At the end of the day this is all just a fancy way for people to express their opinions, which they can do without all the unnecessary overhead in many other threads which are more accessible to people without business management training.

So in conclusion, my opinion about this approach is:

Strengths:
Allows middle-management individuals an opportunity to express their opinions on the Seahawks in a familair way.
Invites discussion from people who are most comfortable operating within this formal structure

Weaknesses:
Formal structure may be a turn-off to posters unable or unwilling to invest the time in all four areas in order to present a post.
People unfamiliar with the structure may feel inhibited expressing ideas within the structured format
SWOT often seen as middle-management make-work by people outside the corporate environment

Opportunities:
Forcing people to consider both strengths and weaknesses may encourage fair-minded anlalysis
Any additional Seahwaks discussion is a good thing

Threats:
People who don't care for the format may say so
Possible stagnation if not enough people take up the SWOT structure rather than simply posting "Fire Bevell".

Wow! I can't even imagine how anyone could take this seriously. It's just something to pass the time dude, lighten up.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
dogorama":2vkn4s4s said:
Wow! I can't even imagine how anyone could take this seriously. It's just something to pass the time dude, lighten up.
I'm plenty light - I'm just passing the time. Even did a SWOT thingy for you so we can have discussions :)