Students Of The Game

Scout

Reaction score
One thing that MacDonald might do more of now is use a Cover-0 look more often now that he has press corners like Woolen and Witherspoon. I'm sure he's already going in the lab.

Flores does a lot of this and I think Macdonald will lean on a lot of that too given the talent the Hawks have at CB and the front seven.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Flores does a lot of this and I think Macdonald will lean on a lot of that too given the talent the Hawks have at CB and the front seven.
The only problem is you need to be sure tacklers. I don't think Mac is going to go crazy like Flores but it's an option he'll probably exploit more often.

There's a player in this draft who is one of the press corners in the whole class. His name is Renardo Green. Dude is a stud and I'll be thrilled if they get him in the middle rounds. He's a bad ass.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
Fricken fantastic
I don't always read the stickied thread as lotsa times it's just ( introduce yourself) type stuff but this is gold, gonna be up way too late readin stuff now
Hope this takes off too
v

OP
OP
FortWorthSeahawk

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score

Longer video with a lot of All-22 film study. Some of this footage has been seen in other videos, but I think the breakdown is much more detailed here.

Something that is painfully obvious (and likely picked up by many savvy fans here on the board) is that we're going to need a linebacker (or two) that excels in coverage, to make this version of the defense work as intended. A lot of the schemes appear to rely on playing zone up top and allowing the linebackers to either play straight man-to-man, or play a 'pseudo' man scheme where they cover the receiver deeper into their zone before releasing them. Unfortunately, our linebacker coverage skills seemed to be average, at best, so we'll need to upgrade there somehow...or adjust the scheme.

This is an older video, but this a good breakdown by Erik Kendricks on the difficulties of playing linebacker and the coverages he was asked to execute.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FortWorthSeahawk

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
One more looking at what the more effective defenses have been in the last year or two. The video correctly stresses that if you have top tier talent, you can play more basic coverages (sounds familiar, right?) but for everyone else you'll need to be more creative in disguising your coverage looks. Also, what is one of keys of defeating these more exotic defenses? Running the ball effectively.

Same creator also took a look at what some of the better offenses are doing to be successful. You guys see anything in here you'd like incorporated by our next OC?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Brock Huard about our new coach's scheme, which Michigan still uses:
“I’ve seen a nickel blitz. I saw that in high school,” he said. ” … I’ve seen the double dogs, I’ve seen some of what you’re trying to do, Clint Hurtt, and trying to be aggressive, Ken Norton … And then I see what the Baltimore Ravens do, and it’s totally different. It’s just much more exotic, it’s much more challenging, right? It’s very hard to decipher who’s coming and where they’re coming.”
“Go see how much (UW Huskies quarterback) Michael Penix got hit. Nobody got to Michael Penix this year save for Arizona State on a wet sloppy night when he was banged up. Nobody,” Huard said. “Nobody until Michigan got to him in the national title game. They show you one look pre-snap, and it’s a very different look post-snap. They show you one front one week, they show you another front the next week.”

Scout

Reaction score
The only problem is you need to be sure tacklers. I don't think Mac is going to go crazy like Flores but it's an option he'll probably exploit more often.

There's a player in this draft who is one of the press corners in the whole class. His name is Renardo Green. Dude is a stud and I'll be thrilled if they get him in the middle rounds. He's a bad ass.

Which is why I suspect the Hawks will be drafting inside line backers early and often.

OP
OP
FortWorthSeahawk

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Changing gears a little from pure film study. If you ever wondered why (or how) a quarterback designates the "Mike" position pre-snap, this is a good video to watch.

This is a great channel overall, hosted by JT O'Sullivan, who occupied a QB backup slot for like half the teams in the NFL during the early 2000s. Worth digging into if you enjoy his style of teaching/explanation.

OP
OP
FortWorthSeahawk

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Now that Grubb appears to be the official OC, shall we take a look at some of the concepts he ran with the Huskies this year? Obviously we have a strong following of the Huskies here on the channel, but this will likely be useful for those of us who didn't watch every game.

Here's a breakdown of some plays ran against Oregon

More Oregon footage, but by a different analyst

Footage/breakdown versus Texas

A look at a play-action concept that Grubb used multiple times throughout the season

Usage of multiple option routes

I'm looking forward to seeing more from others, as this is obviously a coach that many are well acquainted with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FortWorthSeahawk

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score

Spring game interview with Ryan Grubb, going over his philosophy. Specifically calls out two things; at least 16% of plays need to be explosive (with an understanding of balancing TOP to allow for the defense to recuperate) and the 12% rule, where negative plays need to account for only 12% or less of the total amount of plays run.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FortWorthSeahawk

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score

All-22 look at Witherspoon's rookie highlights. Good film, but the title is a bit misleading as the answer is basically he could do a lot of different things next season.

Jville

Reaction score

Longer video with a lot of All-22 film study. Some of this footage has been seen in other videos, but I think the breakdown is much more detailed here.

Since Karl Scott was retained. Re posting a related video might be of interest to enthusiast that enjoy this thread. It's a different presentation in that it is a coaching film.

Heads up: The video quality is disappointing. It's best viewed and understood on a larger than walk around screen with replay throttled back to three quarters (3/4) speed.

OP
OP
FortWorthSeahawk

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score

Long (over 90 minute) video discussing Grubb's offensive philosophies based off of the 2023 Apple Cup. Film study really doesn't start until about 30 minutes in or so, but it does give us more footage of what "could be" our offense moving forward.