OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3hm72djm said:
Fluker playing inside limits the negative impact of his pass protection issues

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/5/29/17 ... pff-grades

This sentiment is totally wrong, IMO. Fluker's pass protection is much sounder at RT, where he has more time to setup and uses his long wing span to corral rushers.

Fluker's pass pro at guard is a big problem. The shortest path to the QB is through the middle of the field. As a guard, Fluker is too slow off the ball and does not have the instincts to mirror rushers inside. Some of the best rushers the Seahawks will face this season are interior rushers.

Leaving that judgement to Solaris, dude coached OL for decades, and he hand picked Fluker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":3b90lbjq said:
hawknation2018":3b90lbjq said:

This sentiment is totally wrong, IMO. Fluker's pass protection is much sounder at RT, where he has more time to setup and uses his long wing span to corral rushers.

Fluker's pass pro at guard is a big problem. The shortest path to the QB is through the middle of the field. As a guard, Fluker is too slow off the ball and does not have the instincts to mirror rushers inside. Some of the best rushers the Seahawks will face this season are interior rushers.

Leaving that judgement to Solaris, dude coached OL for decades, and he hand picked Fluker.

Yeah and we have seen hand picked guys here before just as a reference, not that I am doubting the guy in his first year as O line Coach.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
7c9981a0b9a44252c065f90e5fce01fe

Interesting physique, built to push DE or LB to the right.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
toffee":2l6goivf said:
hawknation2018":2l6goivf said:

The only reason I can think of to stick Fluker at guard is if you believe we have a better option at RT. But if you think having Ifedi at RT is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, then I'm concerned.

The notion of "continuity," even when what you have was failing, is bizarre to me. Switching horses midstream is another challenge because it requires getting guys up to speed at new positions.

I'm more excited about what we have going on the left side of the line with Pro Bowler Duane Brown at LT, 2nd years Pocic or Roos at LG, and former Pro Bowl alternate Justin Britt at C. In general, I think Russell does a better job adjusting to the pressure from the right side (as he did with Britt at RT in 2014 or Gilliam at RT in 2015).

King Dog

Reaction score
Sounds like a RG to me. Mmmmmm. Love me some pancakes.

The Giants averaged 25 yards more per game when he was in the lineup at Guard last season (5 of best 6 rushing outputs of the season with him in the lineup).

From ESPN:

"Fluker, 26, is now expected to reap the benefits. He’s set to become a free agent next week in a weak offensive line class. Surely, there is a market for a mauling right guard who can displace defenders and also flashed improvement as a pass blocker.

The Giants originally said Fluker was being viewed as a right-side player. He would get a chance at right tackle and guard. But they came to realize that he was best suited for guard. It plays to his strengths and doesn't leave him on an island as a pass blocker."

nj.com

"The Giants are averaging 130.3 yards rushing in the three games since Fluker entered the lineup. Offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan said Fluker's pancake blocks give the team a spark."

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
King Dog":39hozh46 said:

The Giants averaged 25 yards more per game when he was in the lineup at Guard last season (5 of best 6 rushing outputs of the season with him in the lineup.

"The Giants are averaging 130.3 yards rushing in the three games since Fluker entered the lineup. Offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan said Fluker's pancake blocks give the team a spark."

Man, if we could have 130 rushing yards per game ....

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":3pj40o8m said:
King Dog":3pj40o8m said:

The Giants averaged 25 yards more per game when he was in the lineup at Guard last season (5 of best 6 rushing outputs of the season with him in the lineup.

That would be a huge improvement I think Pete would like closer to 180 to 200 overall not including Wilsons scrambles, if we can find a middle ground Wilson should be more upright and the defense more rested.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Everything I've read from draft profiles to NFL reviews says that quick footed DEs eat him alive. Imagine him at RT vs Von Miller.

He's needs to stay inside where he's had the most success.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":146c8edf said:
toffee":146c8edf said:
King Dog":146c8edf said:

That would be a huge improvement I think Pete would like closer to 180 to 200 overall not including Wilsons scrambles, if we can find a middle ground Wilson should be more upright and the defense more rested.

If we can run consistently, opposing defense would have to respect our run game. That itself will make Wilson’s job a bit easier.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
ivotuk":12wunskz said:
Everything I've read from draft profiles to NFL reviews says that quick footed DEs eat him alive. Imagine him at RT vs Von Miller.

He's needs to stay inside where he's had the most success.

He hasn't had success inside. His pass protection has been better against those quicker DEs because he uses his length/footwork pretty well on the outside. On the inside, Fluker just gets eaten alive on the regular.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
He's not going to be an amazing pickup, and he doesn't have to be. If he can be a 6/10 mauling run guard instead of 2/10 at everything, like Joeckel, it'll be an improvement.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
RG could be Fluker’s spot to lose. RIP Jordan Roos. J/K

D.J. Fluker, limited for much of OTAs with a knee issue, got some significant work with the first-team line at right guard. The rest of the starting OL was as it has been throughout OTAs — left tackle Duane Brown, left guard Ethan Pocic, center Justin Britt and right tackle Germain Ifedi. Intriguingly, when Fluker did get some rest, his replacement at right guard with the first team was typically Willie Beavers and not Jordan Roos, who had filled that role during most of OTAs. Beavers signed as a free agent last year and spent time on the practice squad but was a fourth-round pick of the Vikings in 2016 and appeared in two games that year for Minnesota.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... m-defense/

bmorepunk

Reaction score
toffee":1iug98ow said:
7c9981a0b9a44252c065f90e5fce01fe

Interesting physique, built to push DE or LB to the right.

Do night fight this man.

Seymour

Reaction score
LOL. DJ Fluker aka John Coffee.

ccb31d7f6d72312boriginal.jpg

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":26d25trt said:
LOL. DJ Fluker aka John Coffee.

ccb31d7f6d72312boriginal.jpg

Hanks’ a 6 footer, David Mose’ 6’4”, and Duncan was 6’5”. In the movie, and this pic. Coffee sure looked over a footer.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3db1ghnx said:
RG could be Fluker’s spot to lose. RIP Jordan Roos. J/K

D.J. Fluker, limited for much of OTAs with a knee issue, got some significant work with the first-team line at right guard. The rest of the starting OL was as it has been throughout OTAs — left tackle Duane Brown, left guard Ethan Pocic, center Justin Britt and right tackle Germain Ifedi. Intriguingly, when Fluker did get some rest, his replacement at right guard with the first team was typically Willie Beavers and not Jordan Roos, who had filled that role during most of OTAs. Beavers signed as a free agent last year and spent time on the practice squad but was a fourth-round pick of the Vikings in 2016 and appeared in two games that year for Minnesota.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... m-defense/

The other spots are pretty set. I wonder if this was more to determine what we have in Beavers and if he should be on the team or not.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
One reason I hope Roos earn the job over Fluker . . .

[youtube]tTXftI9BgaQ[/youtube]

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Pete's renewed emphasis on the run game has me feeling that the RG spot is Fluker's to lose. Knock on him is pass blocking and he is supposed to be a solid run blocker. Solari chose him and he is a low cost hire. I bet Solari knows if he can coach him up.