Surprise cut (post training camp)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Each season there is a player who seems to be a shoo in to make the final roster cut. Any predictions for this year? I'm leaning toward Jacob Hollister (especially if Dissly continues to improve healthwise). No reason to pay $3.2M to a 3rd TE (behind Dissly and Olsen).

Also, Travis Homer and David Moore could be on the chopping block too.

xray

Reaction score
With Dunbar cleared of charges. I think that Tre Flowers goes away one way the other .

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
xray":3a54qa3q said:
With Dunbar cleared of charges. I think that Tre Flowers goes away one way the other .
I know I’m in the minority but I wouldn’t be sad about that.

Erebus

Reaction score
hawkfan68":u9ymub5r said:
I'm leaning toward Jacob Hollister (especially if Dissly continues to improve healthwise). No reason to pay $3.2M to a 3rd TE (behind Dissly and Olsen).

For the reasons you just listed, I don't think cutting Hollister would count as a surprise.

rjas77

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":eq2ljlp9 said:
xray":eq2ljlp9 said:

No you're not...that kids got long arms and that alone is something one can mold into greatness

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Hollister is the only dependable TE the team has. I'm going to go with BJ Finney. I think they bring Britt back and Pete sticks with his guy Pocic as a backup.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The thing that makes it difficult to predict this year is the lack of preseason games. In the past we have seen draft picks and I drafted guys play well to make the team. We have seen debates about whether or not certain guys should make it. How will we determine the next Jordan Kent, Kaden Williams, Troymaine Pope, Jazz Ferguson...?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
xray":3odwujxy said:

I hope this one doesn't happen. I'm looking for Flowers to be taking a healthy amount of snaps as the outside corner, shifting Griffin inside when called for. If not that, he's the next man up at outside corner, and we know he can do the job.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Surprise cut?

I suspect that could happen, but I rather think there are a few guys who could be traded.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Flowers is a lock to make the roster, outside of injury. The dude forced more turnovers last year than Shaq Griffin has in his three-year career.

Excepting a couple of ugly lowlights, he progressed a ton in his second season at the position.

Surprise cut? Phillip Dorsett. Classic underachiever. And he doesn't play nearly as fast as he times in shorts. He couldn't emerge on the Patriots wide receiver depth chart last year, which is one of the worst in recent memory.

Ultimately, they'll opt to hang on to two of Swain, Sullivan, and Ursua.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Flowers got absolutely clobbered in the playoffs and it's a big part of why we lost, but he's good depth and cheap at a position this defense values. I doubt he goes anywhere.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Definitely not Flowers. He's young, cheap and ascending; and by some metrics graded as one of the best CBs in the league last season in man coverage.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rjas77":19j9lyu3 said:
Sports Hernia":19j9lyu3 said:
xray":19j9lyu3 said:

No you're not...that kids got long arms and that alone is something one can mold into greatness
If he learns to turn his head sooner and play the ball I’d agree. Long arms don’t mean anything if you don’t use them to play the ball at that position.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
KJ Wright. I mean if you want true surprise cuts, that one would certainly be up there. But we have 3 young linebackers itching to take his spot. He's lost a step. His price is higher than the other 3 young guys.

Being a coach favourite makes it a surprise but not the strangest.

hawks85

Reaction score
Surprise cuts? Despite what the reports are saying I still think Seattle is still trying to sign Clowney. If that happens there will be a few cuts. I still think they will make cuts to try and re-sign Clowney.

Rat

Reaction score
nanomoz":3te6db0l said:
Surprise cut? Phillip Dorsett. He couldn't emerge on the Patriots wide receiver depth chart last year, which is one of the worst in recent memory.

You probably would have seen more of him if you were watching the team he played for.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Probably Hollister but that depends on if Olson has any tread left/is healthy or if Dissly is healthy. The Stanford te we got is also a potential x factor when healthy.

If britt is healthy I could see him brought back on a cheap deal and Finney cut.

Can see a receiver go like Moore or dorsett for josh gordon, especially now weeds legal in the league.

Shaquem and flowers would be less surprising.