Tackling (or lack of) - not only mentioned here!

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

Hopefully as Pete says "were gonna do better" -

I still think we're too f'ing bent on this 3-4 stuff. Dunno what was wrong with what we did - and I miss BWagz. Do what cha know. I know it's a passing league. He talks about getting more people closer to the ball. Do it. Run a 4-3 and crowd the box with dudes against run-strong teams. Anyways - off track here.

But, I'm sure others have different analyses -

Last edited:

mistaowen

Reaction score
Taylor has been awful this season, especially at tackling, which is depressing because I really thought he could become the guy. Poona and Woods have been doing a nice job at point of attack but LB's have been horrendous so far. Both LB's are getting pushed back way downfield, Barton more commonly, cannot get off blocks, poor technique, missing assignments.

cymatica

Reaction score
Can see 3 players, including Taylor, getting shoved from behind. #8 gets his armed grabbed and pulled by #11 on the 49ers. This happened all game long and 49ers had 1 penalty. Hard to stop a team that is given free reign to break the rules

Last edited:

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Can see 3 players, including Taylor, getting shoved from behind. #8 gets his armed grabbed and pulled by #11 on the 49ers. This happened all game long and 49ers had 1 penalty. Hard to stop a team that is given free reign to break the rules
Agree with the blocks in the back and two holds (on #8 and # 13). The hold on #13 while the runner is still in the backfield followed by a block in the back of #13 is the most egregious thing I see in this play. However, Taylor needs to make the tackle and Brooks needs to shed that block.

cymatica

Reaction score
Agree with the blocks in the back and two holds (on #8 and # 13). The hold on #13 while the runner is still in the backfield followed by a block in the back of #13 is the most egregious thing I see in this play. However, Taylor needs to make the tackle and Brooks needs to shed that block.
I don't think you can blame Taylor on this one, he is getting shoved behind the RB from behind. Taylor definitely has been poor in the run game, but this play was more of a shining example one sided officiating.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Bobby is a shell of his former self. Watch the games they've played. Love the guy, but he is MUCH slower, and has missed tackles.
Sad to say - but he did lose a step 2 years ago. I remember him getting TRUCKED a few times. I mentioned it here, and overwhelming 'meh'.

I Love love love him. I miss him. But, you are correct, and I haven't even seen his games this season.

What I miss is the discipline. He could steer these wet behind the ears types. For that matter, so should sherm and kam. bring them on as goddamn coaches already! Stop eating popcorn on the sidelines and help out dudes!

HawkStrong

Reaction score

Block in the back is NOT illegal at/close to the line of scrimmage.

Last edited:

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Where does the rule state that? Did not see anything in the rules that hinted at that.

Read the rule book:

"SECTION 2 - PERSONAL FOULS

ARTICLE 1. CLIPPING

There shall be no clipping against a non-runner. This does not apply to offensive blocking in close-line play where it is legal to clip above the knee(s), but it is illegal to clip at or below the knee(s). See [3-7](https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2022-nfl-rulebook/#section-7-close-line-play), close-line play."

"ILLEGAL BLOCK ABOVE THE WAIST

Blocks an opponent (from behind) in the back above the opponent’s waist, or uses his hands or arms to push an opponent from behind in a manner that affects his movement, except in close-line play."

Makes sense for many reasons but think about it: all a defender would have to do is pull a spin move or turn their back to the olinemen and it would draw a penalty.

cymatica

Reaction score
Read the rule book:

"SECTION 2 - PERSONAL FOULS

ARTICLE 1. CLIPPING

There shall be no clipping against a non-runner. This does not apply to offensive blocking in close-line play where it is legal to clip above the knee(s), but it is illegal to clip at or below the knee(s). See [3-7](https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2022-nfl-rulebook/#section-7-close-line-play), close-line play."

"ILLEGAL BLOCK ABOVE THE WAIST

Blocks an opponent (from behind) in the back above the opponent’s waist, or uses his hands or arms to push an opponent from behind in a manner that affects his movement, except in close-line play."

Makes sense for many reasons but think about it: all a defender would have to do is pull a spin move or turn their back to the olinemen and it would draw a penalty.
Pretty sure you miss interpreted that rule and how it applied to that play. Taylor was making a play on the ball carrier, he was not engaged in close line play as he already blew past his blocker and was then shoved from behind right when he was about to tackle the ball carrier.

There are also a couple other players not engaged in close line play who were grabbed and shoved from behind. I have seen holding called all the time for the exact same as in that play and even much less every week for years and not once did any coach, player, or announcer argue against it.

Last edited:

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Pretty sure you miss interpreted that rule and how it applied to that play. Taylor was making a play on the ball carrier, he was not engaged in close line play as he already blew past his blocker and was then shoved from behind right when he was about to tackle the ball carrier.

"SECTION 7 - CLOSE-LINE PLAY
Close-Line Play is contact that occurs in an area extending between the outside edges of the normal tackle positions and three yards on either side of the line of scrimmage."

It's still considered close line play. I literally posted the link with the definition.

cymatica

Reaction score
"SECTION 7 - CLOSE-LINE PLAY
Close-Line Play is contact that occurs in an area extending between the outside edges of the normal tackle positions and three yards on either side of the line of scrimmage."

It's still considered close line play. I literally posted the link with the definition.
Then the refs and the league dont know the rules because I have seen that called multiple times every season in between the tackles. It always gets called when a runner or a QB would have been tackled. Assuming that play was legal, there are multiple other penalties on that play.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Then the refs and the league dont know the rules because I have seen that called multiple times every season in between the tackles. It always gets called when a runner or a QB would have been tackled. Assuming that play was legal, there are multiple other penalties on that play.

Do you have a video example of this?