Tale of the 'Combine' tape....Colin vs Russell

purpleworld

Reaction score
At their respective combines:

Pretty similar performances....two great athletes!

Colin Kaepernick, 2011 Combine:
6'5" 233lb, 33.5" arm length, 9 1/8" hands.
40 yard dash: 4.53 seconds (and a top performer for QB), Vertical Jump: 32.5", Broad Jump: 115.0", 3 Cone Drill: 6.85 seconds, 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.18 seconds.

Russell Wilson 2012 Combine:
5'11" 204lb, 31" arm length, 10 1/4" hands.
40 yard dash: 4.55 seconds (and a top performer for QB), Vertical Jump: 34", Broad Jump: 118.0", 3 Cone Drill: 6.97 seconds (and a top performer for QB), 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.09 seconds (and a top performer for QB).

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Kaepernick is 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier though. Even at those insane measurments, he still runs faster than RW, almost jumps/broad jumps as high/far, does the cone drill faster, and nearly matches his 20 yard shuttle.

Goes to show smarts matter quite a whole lot, as Russell has outperformed Kaep.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
No offense, but in my opinion that is all 100% meaningless.

There is nothing in any of those numbers that tell me whether either is going to be a great quarterback or a terrible quarterback.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2c9llade said:

There is nothing in any of those numbers that tell me whether either is going to be a great quarterback or a terrible quarterback.

In Kaeps defense, he is quite hard to defend with his speed and strength. Almost Cam-Newton esque, except Newton's just a tad slower but seems to be a lot thicker with way more power.

If Kaep didn't have that breakaway speed, I'd go as far to suggest he never would of wrestled the starting job away from Smith.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
JSeahawks":2ha6mtzf said:

Agreed.

OP
OP
purpleworld

purpleworld

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3cbmxkhg said:

We're just looking at the stats of two amazing football players who are doing great at the QB position....i find the comparative performances interesting!

hawksfan515

Reaction score
purpleworld":2joly54y said:
JSeahawks":2joly54y said:

We're just looking at the stats of two great football players who are doing great at the QB position....i find the comparative performances interesting!

Again... Those performances aren't comparitive at all.... Just look at the massive height and weight difference. Wilson's performance is merely "good". Kaepernicks performance is just outstanding.

sam1313

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3c8s94fk said:
purpleworld":3c8s94fk said:
JSeahawks":3c8s94fk said:

We're just looking at the stats of two great football players who are doing great at the QB position....i find the comparative performances interesting!

Again... Those performances aren't comparitive at all.... Just look at the massive height and weight difference. Wilson's performance is merely "good". Kaepernicks performance is just outstanding.

Bull*&^%! The guy is 6'5" and let's Wilson out broad jump him? Embarrassing. And, I really like Wilson being so compact, with an inch and a quarter bigger hands. Let's see who has the better career and who lasts longer in the NFL.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1llhcsqa said:
purpleworld":1llhcsqa said:
JSeahawks":1llhcsqa said:

How is comparing two things, not comparative?

mikeak

Reaction score
hawksfan515":14itpuk7 said:
Kaepernick is 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier though. Even at those insane measurments, he still runs faster than RW, almost jumps/broad jumps as high/far, does the cone drill faster, and nearly matches his 20 yard shuttle.

How many starts does Kap have? I know they are both rookies but lets remember that one beat out a backup and one beat out a guy that just went a game missing one pass and had taken his team to the NFC championship.

I am not saying that one is better than the other but to say that this shows that RW is smarter because he has outperformed Kap isn't something I can agree with.

We will see but I expect these two to be battling out for the next few years and I think when their careers are done people will remember them for a long time

NorCal

Reaction score
mikeak":3hgmbzwt said:
hawksfan515":3hgmbzwt said:

How many starts does Kap have? I know they are both rookies but lets remember that one beat out a backup and one beat out a guy that just went a game missing one pass and had taken his team to the NFC championship.

I am not saying that one is better than the other but to say that this shows that RW is smarter because he has outperformed Kap isn't something I can agree with.

We will see but I expect these two to be battling out for the next few years and I think when their careers are done people will remember them for a long time

Kap is not a rookie. He has had 1 1/2 years in the system to learn before he started. So to be fair, what RW is doing as a rookie is impressive. Good thing they get to settle it on the field!

mikeak

Reaction score
NorCal":3q37ne6h said:
mikeak":3q37ne6h said:
Kap is not a rookie. He has had 1 1/2 years in the system to learn before he started. So to be fair, what RW is doing as a rookie is impressive. Good thing they get to settle it on the field!

Correct not a rookie - mispoke

I didn't say that what RW is doing isn't impressive it is. I am just saying that to say that he is smarter than Kap and therefore more succesful is not something I think is proven. It may be the case down the road but these guys are at the beginning of their careers lets see how it moves forward

Shaz

Reaction score
I think both Kaep and Wilson are amazing QB's and are running both of their teams perfectly

I think these teams are setting up their styles for the long haul and it's going to be fun to watch who can win the division for years to come

Awesome stuff fellas

hawksfan515

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":36efg330 said:
How is comparing two things, not comparative?

You know what I mean. I just think that Colin Kaepernicks performance at the combine is quite a lot better than Russell Wilsons. None the less, I still think Wilson's a better QB.

And to Sam1313, yes, a big positive for Wilson is his hand size, definitely. Same with how bulky he looks, I do think Russell Wilson won't get injured as much as Kaepernick will, as Kaepernick seems to fight more for extra yards and is a little skinnier. We will see.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2lra89pk said:

His hands are also TINY TINY. Russell's huge hands crush Kaepernicks.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
mikeak":16l3fx22 said:
hawksfan515":16l3fx22 said:

Kap isn't a rookie, he's a 2nd year player. So he's had 1 extra year of development over Russell Wilson.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2s2uqv9e said:
hawksfan515":2s2uqv9e said:

Really?

Kaepernick has 9.5 inch hands, while Wilson has 10.25 inch hands.

I would really like to find how big Dave Kriegs hands are (for comparison, as I know that most people say his fumbling issues were due to his small hands), but I can't find it.... anyone here know?

hawker84

Reaction score
none of these combine stats mean anything to me other than they're both fast and can jump high and long... other than that??? what they both do on the football field is what impresses me... both have strong arms, good pocket presence with the ablility to scramble and pass , or make plays with their legs.. that's comparible to me... could care less how big their hands are, as long as they're bigh enough to palm a football and throw it 60 yrds , i'm good.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
hawksfan515":1jnhsqrr said:
T-Sizzle":1jnhsqrr said:
hawksfan515":1jnhsqrr said:

Really?

Kaepernick has 9.5 inch hands, while Wilson has 10.25 inch hands.

I would really like to find how big Dave Kriegs hands are, but I can't find it.... anyone here know?

You might want to check your math.

Latest posts