Talk some sense into me!!!: WR edition. Enter at own risk.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Instead of bombing everyones threads about wrs, I wanted to explain my philosophy and see if someone can change my mind on things or if anyone agrees. Majority of what I hear is simple, got to re-sign this guy or that guy. Not saying I have any clue whats going to happen, but I do know that this is a lot more complicated than simply picking a guy cause hes your favorite player.

A)

Lets start with Rice:
I respect our fan base's loyalties, but Rice is absolutely undeserving of ever wearing a seahawk jersey again for the rest of his life. I think its pretty much general consensus he gets cut/restructured. But I have no idea why people would even "want him if he was cheap." This is why-

1. youre assuming he will ever be the same player he once was, which is unlikely.
2. Even if you think im wrong, the fact is hes been hurt like half the season almost his entire career here, thinking he wont get hurt is beyond wishful thinking.
3***. Even if he stays for cheap, you are taking a roster spot away from arguably the best team in the league at developing talent. You are essentially saying Rice is so good, hes worth keeping cause he's that much better than developing anyone else we could get. Would you rather have another DB/Kearse level talent waiting in the wings you could count on or a guy (rice) when/if ever healthy that is marginally better? the answer seems obvious to me. and thats not even counting a possible higher upside, if we drafted a wr higher.

B)

Tate/Baldwin:
To me, its really going to come down to money. Its one or the other, and no matter what people say, I dont really think anyone actually knows what kind of money either of them will get. Even if were talking 4 mill each or something affordable, it makes no sense from a cap stand point to invest into both. Its kind of the money ball system, you got to count on one of them taking the extra slack, and assuming the drop off from a cheaper guy wont be crippling. I think its insane in our offense that is run first, to hear people say we should invest over 20 million in starting wrs. I personally think tate is the guy we should try to re-sign if affordable. DB gives me the vibe he wants to be the best, something he will never be here in seattle from what we can see. You can read into all the he wants to be here statements he makes all you want, im talking about reading in between the lines.

I think we should throw a tender on DB, get a draft pick if we can. and happily send him off to a team like the colts where he can be most happy thriving under a heavier passing attack.

C)

cap philosophy:
So many people are saying were good with the wrs we have, and dont need any, yeah we really dont need any more proof than the superbowl we are good how we are. but no matter how many guys you cut or restructure or say we dont need that will give us money to sign our wrs, the bottom line is at some point, that money we spend on wrs will eventually cut into talent we really need to re-sign its not as simple as addition by subtraction, every decision we make effects EVERY signing at EVERY position for the foreseeable future, i see people saying that stuff a lot, like oh cut clemmons to sign our wrs, its just not that simple. Our team is stacked, even our wrs are better than ive given them credit for, but at the end of the day they are still one of the weakest positions on our roster, thats not as much an insult to db is it is a compliment to our talent level....

keeping that in mind, why would you not save money and let players walk at our weakest position?? i wouldnt be heart broke to see tate walk, draft a wr or 2 and end up watching both tate and db walk in favor of new cheap talent to develop, that is the only possibly way (penny pinching) we ever maintain a legendary D like we currently have.

D)

The draft:
1. With this wr class, we are most likely going to end up looking at wr as one of the positions that is bpa.
2. No matter how much we love tate/DB imo their ceilings are limited, our FO loves finding value like db, but also loves taking risks on guys that they can hit big on.
3. Drafting a 1st round wr, will still save us millions over re-signing DB and or tate. Even if you cant grasp the idea of a 1st round wr being better than db, you cant argue that it will save us millions and every million counts on a team like this.

so maybe its not about drafting a wr cause our wrs suck..maybe its just as much, or more about drafting a wr cause we need to keep our most unused position cheap? something to think about.

and besides all that, i truly dont think our wrs fit RWs playing style well. He throws a lot of jump balls, and we see a ton of catches made in traffic when our wrs are in good position. typically smaller built wrs are great for quicker routes, which we dont use as much. Why not put bigger bodies out there to take advantage of what kind of balls our franchise qb throws?
I think this whole clutch talk is a little over blown, if you put a bigger body out there, some of those tremendously hard catches db makes, all of a sudden dont look so hard, cause a bigger wr will naturally be in better postion to make those catches on the balls rw throws.

E)

Random idea:

package DB/random player/1st rounder to move up a couple spots to secure a wr if we feel like a guy like kelvin benj will be gone before our pick... i know thats probably very unlikely and no one will like that idea, but just saying.

F)

off season plan:

-flat out release and say bye to rice.
-if tate or DB dont stay for great home town discounts, you let tate walk. tender DB for a pick.
-if we get a pick for DB we draft a couple wrs, a first and anywhere from 2-5 depending on talent available. and sign a vet to a one year deal.
-if db stays another year we dont sign anyone major from the outside and still hammer the draft at wr and walk on try outs.

Please withold as much homerism as you can as id love to get some real opinions on whatever sections you care to comment on other than all these (no offense) million i want db cause i said so conversations. Trying to think outside the box a bit. maybe im a fool for not locking up one of these guys, but keep in mind i think we could find a cheap serviceable vet while we develop our young guys.

thanks for any feedback i know its a bit long

to spark the imagination, KB catching RW signature jump balls :th2thumbs:
USATSI 7658070 220956 lowres

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what you said. I think Rice is gone. I also think Tate is going to command too much money and he will be gone too. Tender Baldwin for $2.5m and draft a WR early. I like Jordan Matthews and Brandon Coleman. I could also see them trying something like Austin Sefarin Jenkins in the 1st and a WR in the 2nd, trying to shore up the pass catchers.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Rice is gone, he'll get more money somewhere else as he is still young.

I'm just not a fan of KB. I think he'll get beat up in the NFL.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
^Doug Baldwin gets beat up quite a bit yet everyone still wants to lock him up... A lot of people don't prefer tate yet he's one of the most durable guys on the roster. .. just saying.

Throwdown":4ak2zspb said:
KB would drop the hell outta most of RW's high pointed throws...

Meh, that's a little pessimistic imo, dude will be coached by some of the best in the business once he hits the pros. Kearse looked like he couldn't catch a ball if he had super glue on his hands when he first got here. The point isn't just getting kb in specific just one example, but replacing or wr core with big bodies is more what I'm looking for.

EverydayImRusselin":4ak2zspb said:
I agree with a lot of what you said. I think Rice is gone. I also think Tate is going to command too much money and he will be gone too. Tender Baldwin for $2.5m and draft a WR early. I like Jordan Matthews and Brandon Coleman. I could also see them trying something like Austin Sefarin Jenkins in the 1st and a WR in the 2nd, trying to shore up the pass catchers.

Yeah I liked your mock you did. If they felt a big te was dynamic enough to take id be all for it, you can't pass on talent upgrades no matter how solid Zach is, then pick up a guy like coleman in the second id still be pleased.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'm definitely hoping we go for a big wide receiver as well. We have to let some of these guys walk (Rice is gone for sure imo) and I think Tate or DB will be gone after this year. Hoping we are able to resign Bennet and still get Earl and Sherman on long term deals. Won't be an easy task.

Edit: Jermaine Kearse has really made an impressive jump this year. So that would leave us with either DB/Tate. Kearse, Harvin, Lockette(if he even makes the team which I doubt) and hopefully we manage to get a big bodied tall target in the first or second round for Russ.

chris98251

Reaction score
So get rid of everyone except for Kearse and Harvin and roll the dice and hope we strike it rich. Nah I will try to work them in, we have time, Rice knows he damaged goods and doubt he garners a decent contrace better then here. Tate is the Wild Card and may go back East, DB is money he isn't small just isn't big, he is money and he is tough and he is Wilsons go to guy. He is a RFA and he is Shermans best bud. His next contract will be a substantial increase over his UFDA one. He isn't dumb either he knows this place is special.

Rolling the dice has brought in a string of WR's from all walks of life, I say keep what you have and do it intelligently, if they don't want to be realistic yeah then say thanks and good luck. But T.O., Winslow, Williams, Big Mike, and a string of unknowns and cast offs as well as draft picks that can't play in traffic and make catches made this message board almost blow up on game days.

You don't dump the proven until you have the next guy in the wings.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
ADB isn't going anywhere unless we screw up the tender we give him.

Re-signing Tate would be a miracle seeing as how the priorities should be Bennett and extensions for Thomas and Sherman.

Next year I'm anticipating Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, 1st/2nd round pick, Lockett?(or who knows, maybe a late round or UDFA instead)

I would love to see RW with a taller WR and I'm about 99% sure Pete and John make that a priority this offseason.

Exittium

Reaction score
but Rice is absolutely undeserving of ever wearing a seahawk jersey again for the rest of his life.

Thats about as stupid of a statement as one can make. He's be Wilsons go to guy up until he go injured and the same with ADB, tate seems to be missing a lot of times now when we need him.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I'd keep Baldwin over Tate in a heart beat. Baldwin's been nothing but the epitome of consistency when it comes to our receivers. He makes the big catches, for a guy of his size, is pretty god damn good at the leaping and high point catches, his attitude is wonderful as well, he is a Seattle Seahawk through and through, I don't think Doug leaves unless the FO kicks him out the door.

Tate on the other hand... I'm pretty negative on, dude might have the worst situational awareness like ever. Harvin is practically Tate with the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gears. He's the one guy I could see being able to walk.

Rice I believe is gone, Kearse will probably make the team as the 4/5 guy again and Lockette will probably battle it out with a UDFA for the last spot, I think we take one pretty early in the draft in May.

JKent82

Reaction score
Yeah I essentially agree with you, though I'd probably have hemmed and hawed and been nicer. So good work being blunt about it.

Sidney is gone at his current rate, a run will be made at Tate but I doubt he's overpaid by us, and Baldwin is probably only here for another year and somebody might trade for him.

Perfect scenario for me is getting Tate at a reasonable rate (I kind of doubt this considering what mediocre receivers get in FA over the last few years (Laurent Robinson, Pierre Garcon, Brian Hartline), resigning Doug or trading if someone ponies up, and giving it another shot of developing a 3rd or later receiver (Maybe a second depending on how they view Kearse). If nothing pans out then draft one higher in 2015.

drrew

Reaction score
Golden Tate was the offense in both games against the Rams. If he doesn't go for 80 yards in St Louis, and no other WR on this team makes that play, this team doesn't have home field advantage, and we very well may have been watching another team beat up Denver yesterday.

The what have you done for me lately mentality by some is extremely short sighted.

Doesn't mean I sign Tate at all costs. And I don't sign Baldwin at all costs, but one of them will definitely be back, and I hope it's both.

Drafting a WR early and hoping for any sort of production in year one is fools gold. DeAndre Hopkins and Cordarelle Patterson were great late 1st round WR picks last year, but that was an anomaly. Previous picks in that range include Brian Quick, AJ Jenkins, Jonathan Baldwin...guys who aren't beating out Ricardo Lockette for playing time.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
Why wouldn't we keep Lockette next year? He's been amazing on special teams ever since we picked him up, and it's not like he costs anything

Largent80

Reaction score
Who really gives a shit today?

Can we just love what we accomplished and let John S. sort all this out?

I guess not. We have people here that think they pay and coach not only players but coaches and scouts.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Exittium":3m8687n0 said:
but Rice is absolutely undeserving of ever wearing a seahawk jersey again for the rest of his life.

Thats about as stupid of a statement as one can make. He's be Wilsons go to guy up until he go injured and the same with ADB, tate seems to be missing a lot of times now when we need him.

Cmon now, at least rip apart my points about why I said that if your going to trash it. I can assure you there's no wr that goes missing more than rice. You're saying a guy who plays half a season year in and year out is doing anything to build chemistry? Imagine how hard roster cuts will be this year, a guy that's almost a lock to play 8 Games is stupid not to keep? Maybe rw just likes bigger targets, which we can Draft and rw can develop chemistry with.

chris98251":3m8687n0 said:
So get rid of everyone except for Kearse and Harvin and roll the dice and hope we strike it rich. Nah I will try to work them in, we have time, Rice knows he damaged goods and doubt he garners a decent contrace better then here. Tate is the Wild Card and may go back East, DB is money he isn't small just isn't big, he is money and he is tough and he is Wilsons go to guy. He is a RFA and he is Shermans best bud. His next contract will be a substantial increase over his UFDA one. He isn't dumb either he knows this place is special.

Rolling the dice has brought in a string of WR's from all walks of life, I say keep what you have and do it intelligently, if they don't want to be realistic yeah then say thanks and good luck. But T.O., Winslow, Williams, Big Mike, and a string of unknowns and cast offs as well as draft picks that can't play in traffic and make catches made this message board almost blow up on game days.

You don't dump the proven until you have the next guy in the wings.

Not Get rid of everyone you got the most explosive wr in the game and kearse who's proven he can play last time I checked. Yeah dude I'm saying you don't prioritize signings so your 3rd and 4th string wrs are great on a run first team. I actually said you keep one or the other as long as you can do it affordable.

IF both wrs left then your assuming you get to play the Seattle is awesome card and sign A vet. Ideally if they both walked obviously it wouldn't be the same year, they'd see how their Draft picks panned out. I really don't care what sherm thinks, we've essentially built the best secondary ever out of late round picks, he could be replaced.

Every wr you listed are nobodys, all your essentially saying by listing all those nobody's is that we haven't tried to upgrade our wr core till Percy, so yeah when people get mad that we signed a 65 year old TO, it's cause it's pretty obvious we were just trying to get bye and no one else wanted to come here.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Really? Dissing Rice after the plays he made last year? Did you watch the Bears game? How about the Arizona Thursday night game? That was 34 points on the 2nd best defense in the league AT their house. As I recall, Seattle didn't score that many against AZ at home, and that's got a lot to do with Rice not being on the field.

Seriously, did you SEE the offense after he went out? Just because he didn't post 1300 yard seasons doesn't mean his value was zero. He opened things up for the other receivers and Seattle fans missed out on potential greatness because both he and Harvin were off the field. No one would have talked about Russell's slump.

The Super Bowl would have been 63-8 with Rice on the field.

godawg

Reaction score
I would put a 1st round tender on DB ($2.8 mill), who is money and only gets better. I would let Tate walk, though I like his play (and the 3d down sideline catch he made). With PH on the field, Tate has almost disappeared. I'd keep Kearse and Lockette, and draft ASJ, who would give us another big-bodied receiver and red zone target. If Miller doesn't restructure, he'll have to walk.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
JKent82":13mawqt8 said:
Yeah I essentially agree with you, though I'd probably have hemmed and hawed and been nicer. So good work being blunt about it.

Sidney is gone at his current rate, a run will be made at Tate but I doubt he's overpaid by us, and Baldwin is probably only here for another year and somebody might trade for him.

Perfect scenario for me is getting Tate at a reasonable rate (I kind of doubt this considering what mediocre receivers get in FA over the last few years (Laurent Robinson, Pierre Garcon, Brian Hartline), resigning Doug or trading if someone ponies up, and giving it another shot of developing a 3rd or later receiver (Maybe a second depending on how they view Kearse). If nothing pans out then draft one higher in 2015.

Exactly what I'm saying, not trying to act like I want tate and db gone, I'm just giving a possible scenario out there. Very likely some of our players get over paid, we don't get to pick who that ends up being. I just get the impression db wants more attention, that's not a knock on him, just saying I'd be open to get something for him if that were the case. I think if you can get a guy like Coleman in the 2nd that's not a bad place to start.

Throwdown":13mawqt8 said:
I'd keep Baldwin over Tate in a heart beat. Baldwin's been nothing but the epitome of consistency when it comes to our receivers. He makes the big catches, for a guy of his size, is pretty god damn good at the leaping and high point catches, his attitude is wonderful as well, he is a Seattle Seahawk through and through, I don't think Doug leaves unless the FO kicks him out the door.

Tate on the other hand... I'm pretty negative on, dude might have the worst situational awareness like ever. Harvin is practically Tate with the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gears. He's the one guy I could see being able to walk.

Rice I believe is gone, Kearse will probably make the team as the 4/5 guy again and Lockette will probably battle it out with a UDFA for the last spot, I think we take one pretty early in the draft in May.

I agree, I just think there may be more factors than the fo kicking him out, he just strikes me as a guy who wants more touches even if he's a great dude and doesn't say it. I just think Tate could end up staying for cheap, he's a guy that may never be great but will consistently improve.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Largent80":n277k4lu said:
Who really gives a shit today?

Can we just love what we accomplished and let John S. sort all this out?

I guess not. We have people here that think they pay and coach not only players but coaches and scouts.

Did someone stay up too late on the superbowl? I even put a disclaimer in my thread title what more do you want?

How dare me talk about seahawks on a seahawk forum, will you forgive me?

Latest posts