Terrell Davis' Hall of Fame nod is good news for Marshawn

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1beg2s8v said:
Anthony!":1beg2s8v said:
While I agree in principle we really don't know how the media view him personally and what affect it will have. As I said I think both he and Alexander get in, in time.

I do on Lynch, but don't on Alexander.

Similar stats, but Lynch is a much more high profile player, and has a ring. Alexander played in Seattle before we were SEATTLE, has no rings and really only had that one monster year, surrounded by 4-5 other good, but not insane type years.

Hmm well Alexander has the MVP the 100 tds and as to seasons From 2001-2005 he had season of 1318, 1175, 1435, 1695, and 1880 so he has more than 1 monster year or great year. Lynchs best year was 1590 which would be 3rd on Alexanders.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Jac":210a4u4j said:
Sgt. Largent":210a4u4j said:
Anthony!":210a4u4j said:
While I agree in principle we really don't know how the media view him personally and what affect it will have. As I said I think both he and Alexander get in, in time.

Similar stats, but Lynch is a much more high profile player, and has a ring. Alexander played in Seattle before we were SEATTLE, has no rings and really only had that one monster year, surrounded by 4-5 other good, but not insane type years.

What's also going to play into this is the perception that Alexander ran behind two HOF'ers (assuming Hutchinson gets in), while Lynch ran behind a perceived abomination.

Agreed and he also played in the west coast pass orientated offense were MH had to write on his clip board to remember to run the ball were as Lynch played on a run fist team. So that will play in Alexander favor. You cold also argue that other than the line Lynch had more talent around him, I mean Hass comped to Wilson, etc etc

As I said I think they both get in.

Tical21

Reaction score
These guys all have more rushing yards than Alexander and Lynch and are not in the HOF. Almost all also have more receiving yards. Most of these guys would have to get in before Shaun and Marshawn get a shot.

Gore
Edge
AP
Taylor
Jackson
Dillon
Dunn
Watters
Lewis
Jones
Barber
George
Anderson
Williams
Portis
Johnson

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Case for Shaun Alexander - I believe there are plenty of running backs in the HOF who benefitted from having a HOF OL in front of them. Thurman Thomas ran behind a terrific OL, Marshall Faulk ran behind a good OL, and John Riggins ran behind the Hogs with Washington Redskins.

Case for Marshawn Lynch - Most probably Lynch would have been the MVP in SB49 had he scored a TD on the final drive. That would have given him 2 TDs for the game and he had 24 carries for 102 yards. Scoring the GW TD would have been the icing on the cake for him (so to speak).

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Anthony!":1nrzo47n said:
Jac":1nrzo47n said:
Sgt. Largent":1nrzo47n said:
Anthony!":1nrzo47n said:

What's also going to play into this is the perception that Alexander ran behind two HOF'ers (assuming Hutchinson gets in), while Lynch ran behind a perceived abomination.

Agreed and he also played in the west coast pass orientated offense were MH had to write on his clip board to remember to run the ball were as Lynch played on a run fist team. So that will play in Alexander favor. You cold also argue that other than the line Lynch had more talent around him, I mean Hass comped to Wilson, etc etc

As I said I think they both get in.

Alexander and Lynch both have very similar attempts, with Alexander actually being slightly ahead of Lynch, so I don't think that will factor in.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":2ggk6y8x said:
These guys all have more rushing yards than Alexander and Lynch and are not in the HOF. Almost all also have more receiving yards. Most of these guys would have to get in before Shaun and Marshawn get a shot.

Gore
Edge
AP
Taylor
Jackson
Dillon
Dunn
Watters
Lewis
Jones
Barber
George
Anderson
Williams
Portis
Johnson

But for Alexander, I believe he'd be the only player with 100+ TDs not in the HOF assuming TO eventually gets in. The more I think about it, I bet Alexander gets in on the seniors committee like Easley. As careers for RBs get shorter and shorter due to the nature of the position, it will become clear that him scoring as many TDs as he did is a rare thing.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seanhawk":17z0jngp said:
Tical21":17z0jngp said:

Gore
Edge
AP
Taylor
Jackson
Dillon
Dunn
Watters
Lewis
Jones
Barber
George
Anderson
Williams
Portis
Johnson

But for Alexander, I believe he'd be the only player with 100+ TDs not in the HOF assuming TO eventually gets in. The more I think about it, I bet Alexander gets in on the seniors committee like Easley. As careers for RBs get shorter and shorter due to the nature of the position, it will become clear that him scoring as many TDs as he did is a rare thing.

Lets not forget Alexander has and NFL MVP those others backs dont

OP
OP
S

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Lynch is literally one of the most popular NFL figures in society. I think the fact that he's become a "Shaq-like" presence puts him over the edge.

I don't doubt he gets in easily, simply because he's super-famous. Marshawn in the NFL was like The Rock in WWE, his star is on the rise since he left the organization that made him initially famous.

Tical21

Reaction score
I mean, I love both of them. Marshawn is probably my favorite all-time Hawk. Love Shaun too. But 310 players in NFL history are in the Hall of Fame. Realistically, neither is even close. There are at minimum 100 guys that get in before them, probably 200. They're in the hall of very good.

Marshawn was one of the top-5 rushers in the NFL once or twice. At least Shaun led the league once and has a MVP. Shaun is like #33 on the rushing list, and almost nobody in the 20's is in. Marshawn is even further. Ring of honor? Yes. Hall of fame? Not even close.

Josea16

Reaction score
Anthony!":ybht21j9 said:
West TX Hawk":ybht21j9 said:
Good write-up. It definitely makes Lynch's chances more promising. Another comparable career as well as running style is Earl Campbell. EC played 8 seasons, racked up over 9000 yards and 74 TD. He never played in a SB but was a human battering ram for years-very similar style to Lynch. I believe Lynch gets in.

Its not just good news for Lynch but also for Alexander, whose stats match very well with TD, Lynch and Cambell.
I hope so but this is why the HOF is meaningless concerning running backs, The requirements are all statistics based without the 5 question golden rule.

1. What

2. When

3. Why

4. Where

5. Who

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":33mk3n87 said:
Tical21":33mk3n87 said:

Gore
Edge
AP
Taylor
Jackson
Dillon
Dunn
Watters
Lewis
Jones
Barber
George
Anderson
Williams
Portis
Johnson

Agreed that it's easy to envision Alexander a senior committee nom down the road. 100 rushing TDs and an MVP are just too hard to ignore.

Regarding Tical's analysis, I'd offer that it's not just about total yardage for the voters anymore. You're seeing more advanced data and criteria used and more importantly it's about did such player dominate their era, even if just for a few years. Lynch did that. His famous runs in addition to his persona are timeless and indelibly cemented in the public's minds. He's one of a kind and that helps. People aren't going to remember very well steady performers like Portis and Dillon but no one will forget the Beast.

Hyak

Reaction score
I think the elections of Davis, Warner, and even Easley show a shift from placing a premium on career length and related accumulated stats to looking a players who maybe had shorter but more dominant careers.

That gives Lynch a chance in my mind given his comparisons to Earl Campbell career wise plus with playoff success somewhat like Davis.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":1jp8wvxb said:
Sgt. Largent":1jp8wvxb said:
Anthony!":1jp8wvxb said:

Hmm well Alexander has the MVP the 100 tds and as to seasons From 2001-2005 he had season of 1318, 1175, 1435, 1695, and 1880 so he has more than 1 monster year or great year. Lynchs best year was 1590 which would be 3rd on Alexanders.

Like I said, similar stats.

Just my opinion, I'm not bagging on Alexander. Just trying to project the national perception of him, good runner with one great year on a pretty good team. Those type of players usually struggle to make the hall.

chris98251

Reaction score
Perception of Alexander, fluid runner never ran physically was soft except inside the 10 and a product of the WCO and a great line.

Lynch a street fighter who you want in a dark alley, carried the team when needed, got yards after contact, took more then one person to bring him down. All around back.

Anthony!

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":14mve8n8 said:
Seanhawk":14mve8n8 said:
Tical21":14mve8n8 said:

Gore
Edge
AP
Taylor
Jackson
Dillon
Dunn
Watters
Lewis
Jones
Barber
George
Anderson
Williams
Portis
Johnson

Agreed that it's easy to envision Alexander a senior committee nom down the road. 100 rushing TDs and an MVP are just too hard to ignore.

Regarding Tical's analysis, I'd offer that it's not just about total yardage for the voters anymore. You're seeing more advanced data and criteria used and more importantly it's about did such player dominate their era, even if just for a few years. Lynch did that. His famous runs in addition to his persona are timeless and indelibly cemented in the public's minds. He's one of a kind and that helps. People aren't going to remember very well steady performers like Portis and Dillon but no one will forget the Beast.

Agreed and Alexander did that as well, and you are correct about advanced analysis, as an example yes Alexander had a great left side but his right side was not very good, and over half his yards came from the right side.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Anthony!":dcjcn5lx said:
sdog1981":dcjcn5lx said:
I don't know. Terell Davis is such a once in a lifetime event. In 4 years he did everything a running back needs to do to be a HOF.

2000 yard season
20 TD season
Pro Bowl
All Pro
League MVP
Superbowl MVP

These points make him just such an anomaly that you really can't compare other players to him or his career.

Okay lets compare

TD career 8 years
7607 yards rushing
60 tds
4.6 ypa
1280 receiving yards
5 tds
2× Super Bowl champion (XXXII, XXXIII)
Super Bowl MVP (XXXII)
3× Pro Bowl (1996–1998)
3× First-team All-Pro (1996–1998)
NFL Most Valuable Player (1998)
2× NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1996, 1998)
AFC Player of the Year (1996)
NFL rushing yards leader (1998)
2× NFL rushing touchdowns leader (1996, 1998)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team

Alexander 9 years
9453 yards rushgin
100 tds
4.3 ypa
1520 recieving yards
12 tds
3× Pro Bowl (2003–2005)
2× First-team All-Pro (2004, 2005)
2x 2nbd team all pro (2001, 2003)
NFL Most Valuable Player (2005)
NFL Offensive Player of the Year (2005)
NFC Offensive Player of the Year (2005)
Bert Bell Award (2005)
NFL rushing yards leader (2005)
2× NFL rushing touchdowns leader (2001, 2005)
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
Seattle Seahawks 35th Anniversary team

Hmm now lets add Lynch 9 years
9112 yards
79 tds
4.3 ypa
1979 receiving yards
9 tds
Super Bowl champion (XLVIII)
5× Pro Bowl (2008, 2011–2014)
First-team All-Pro (2012)
Second-team All-Pro (2014)
2× NFL rushing touchdowns leader (2013, 2014)

So comparing Alexander and Lynch to TD they are all pretty close. The only real difference is 2 SBs and an SB MVP. However SBs are as much about the team as the player and both Lynch and Alexander have some things over TD.

Your not understanding me. Davis only really played for 4 years, the last three years of his career he played 4 games, 5 games 8 games. So you see his numbers in 4 years almost equaled what both of those backs did in 9 years. Davis is a one-time event I don't think we will ever see a player show up and disappear so fast again.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sdog1981":2fagxsmn said:
Anthony!":2fagxsmn said:
sdog1981":2fagxsmn said:
I don't know. Terell Davis is such a once in a lifetime event. In 4 years he did everything a running back needs to do to be a HOF.

2000 yard season
20 TD season
Pro Bowl
All Pro
League MVP
Superbowl MVP

These points make him just such an anomaly that you really can't compare other players to him or his career.

Okay lets compare

TD career 8 years
7607 yards rushing
60 tds
4.6 ypa
1280 receiving yards
5 tds
Super Bowl MVP (XXXII)
3× Pro Bowl (1996–1998)

Alexander 9 years
9453 yards rushgin
100 tds
4.3 ypa
1520 recieving yards
12 tds
3× Pro Bowl (2003–2005)
2x 2nbd team all pro (2001, 2003)
Bert Bell Award (2005)
2× NFL rushing touchdowns leader (2001, 2005)
Seattle Seahawks 35th Anniversary team

Hmm now lets add Lynch 9 years
9112 yards
79 tds
4.3 ypa
1979 receiving yards
9 tds
Super Bowl champion (XLVIII)
5× Pro Bowl (2008, 2011–2014)
First-team All-Pro (2012)
Second-team All-Pro (2014)
2× NFL rushing touchdowns leader (2013, 2014)

So comparing Alexander and Lynch to TD they are all pretty close. The only real difference is 2 SBs and an SB MVP. However SBs are as much about the team as the player and both Lynch and Alexander have some things over TD.

Your not understanding me. Davis only really played for 4 years, the last three years of his career he played 4 games, 5 games 8 games. So you see his numbers in 4 years almost equaled what both of those backs did in 9 years. Davis is a one-time event I don't think we will ever see a player show up and disappear so fast again.

Do you really think Lynch played 16 games all their 8-9 years they did not. That said lets look at it

TD from 95-98
6413 yards, 55tds

Alexander from 2002-2005
6186 yards, 73 tds

hmm pretty close, Tds gets the yards but Alexander the TDs. Also there were a few years that Alexander did not play much as well.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Anthony!":1qlvc932 said:
Do you really think Lynch played 16 games all their 8-9 years they did not.

You know you can look this stuff up? Lynch played less than 13 games only twice. Alexander played less that 16 games only 4 times.

Davis is a fluke

2000 yards in a single season (4th player to ever do it)

20 TD season 3rd player to do it

Super Bowl MVP last running back to win it.

Davis has so many one career milestones and only did it all during his first 4 years in the league. He is a fluke he is a one-time event.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":1kmb7yst said:
Anthony!":1kmb7yst said:

You know you can look this stuff up? Lynch played less than 13 games only twice. Alexander played less that 16 games only 4 times.

Davis is a fluke

Davis has so many one career milestones and only did it all during his first 4 years in the league. He is a fluke he is a one-time event.

Alexander had a 20 TD season...27 rushing TDs to be precise in 2005. And was the first RB in history to have 15+ TDs in 5 consecutive seasons. Awfully hard to ignore.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Alexander

Davis was indeed a monster and should've been elected to the hall years ago.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sdog1981":2rdrswev said:
Anthony!":2rdrswev said:

Davis is a fluke

And yet his "fluke" still leaves Alexander right there again

Alexander was the 3rd player to get 25+ rushing tds in a season something TD never did, he also has the 2nd most rushing TD's in a season ever. 5 years of 15+ total tds something TD did not do, 5 straight years of 14+ rushing tds something Td did not do and fyi TD does not even have 4 straight years of 14+ rushing or 15+ combined tds. Sorry but other than 2k yards and the Sb stuff they are very comparable and Alexander has some stuff TD does not have see below

TD from 95-98
6413 yards, 55tds

Alexander from 2002-2005
6186 yards, 73 tds

during those same time spans

TDs 95-98
Super Bowl MVP (XXXII)
3× Pro Bowl (1996–1998)

Alexander 2002-2005
3× Pro Bowl (2003–2005)
1x 2nd team all pro (2003)
Bert Bell Award (2005)
2× NFL rushing touchdowns leader (2005)

You can continue to try and say that TD is so much better than Alexander or Lynch but the reality is he was not. He was good, very good, but so are Lynch and Alexander and as I showed the facts show they are comparable. In fact you can argue that both Lynch and Alexander did it longer than TD which helps them. FYI Alexander did not start year 1 but did in year 2 and for 5 straight years of great numbers.