Terrell Davis' Hall of Fame nod is good news for Marshawn

sdog1981

Reaction score
Those numbers are comparable. So the next step would be what will the PFW think of Alexander? We have seen what they have done to TO. Will they say that TD was robbed by injury and Alexander got paid and quit? The Seattle factor is also a big deal.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sdog1981":1mdcswya said:
Those numbers are comparable. So the next step would be what will the PFW think of Alexander? We have seen what they have done to TO. Will they say that TD was robbed by injury and Alexander got paid and quit? The Seattle factor is also a big deal.

well considering they all know Alexander suffered a big foot injury in 2006 and was never the same that says all it needs to.

Rat

Reaction score
Anthony!":3c4hod98 said:
Sorry but other than 2k yards and the Sb stuff they are very comparable and Alexander has some stuff TD does not have see below

Those are the biggest reasons Davis made the HOF. Two Super Bowl rings and a 2000 yard season are things Alexander can't touch.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Rat":fq27mz22 said:
Anthony!":fq27mz22 said:
Sorry but other than 2k yards and the Sb stuff they are very comparable and Alexander has some stuff TD does not have see below

Those are the biggest reasons Davis made the HOF. Two Super Bowl rings and a 2000 yard season are things Alexander can't touch.

No RB with 100+ rushing TDs and an NFL MVP has not made the HOF that is something TD can't touch. 5 years of 15+ total TDs is something TD can't touch and Alexander was the First RB to do it, and I Can go on as I stated all 3 Rbs have things the others did not do that's why I think Alexander and Lynch get in

sdog1981

Reaction score
Anthony!":2v7usrns said:
Rat":2v7usrns said:
Anthony!":2v7usrns said:

No RB with 100+ rushing TDs and an NFL MVP has not made the HOF that is something TD can't touch. 5 years of 15+ total TDs is something TD can't touch and Alexander was the First RB to do it, and I Can go on as I stated all 3 Rbs have things the others did not do that's why I think Alexander and Lynch get in

The PFWA are pretty dumb. They are keeping TO out for petty reasons.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sdog1981":3dkvcy1l said:
Anthony!":3dkvcy1l said:
Rat":3dkvcy1l said:
Anthony!":3dkvcy1l said:

The PFWA are pretty dumb. They are keeping TO out for petty reasons.

I actually agree with TO, but its hard to look past his numbers and his injuries were well documented.

chris98251

Reaction score
My view is were talking about the HOF for football players, not public relation, not image, go back and look at some of the guys, Jim Brown is about as divisive a person you can think of in many things.

Many of the past QB's in were partiers and abusers.

It just wasn't mainstream and it was considered ok for a guy to go out and have a few and get in a brawl once in a while.

Anthony!

Reaction score
chris98251":39noxcou said:
My view is were talking about the HOF for football players, not public relation, not image, go back and look at some of the guys, Jim Brown is about as divisive a person you can think of in many things.

Many of the past QB's in were partiers and abusers.

It just wasn't mainstream and it was considered ok for a guy to go out and have a few and get in a brawl once in a while.

I agree. The facts and stats speak for themselves with regards to TO, Alexander and Lynch and I am betting they all get in, in time

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Everyone, please take the betting talk to PM's or Email as betting $$$ here is against board policy.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Sorry guys, but Terrell Davis getting in does nothing for Marshawn and Alexander.

Davis didn't get in because of regular season career stat totals. He got in because of a combination of 3 years of being the absolute best back in the NFL bar none, and the fact that he averaged 142 YPC in the playoffs, putting him 6th all time for playoff rushing yards, everyone ahead of him played atleast twice as many games.142 YPG in the playoffs is 30 yards better than the next HOF RB. He got in because he double checks every qualification box for being a HOF RB, except for career stat totals due to longevity.

They might get in, but it won't be because Terrell Davis paved the way for them.

OP
OP
S

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Starting to picture Marshawn Lynch in that HOF jacket

"Allow your imagination to accompany mine a couple years down the road.

It’s a hot early August evening in Canton, Ohio, and there has never been more excitement about a Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Ratings soar and attendance is at record levels because no one — absolutely no one — can predict what is going to happen when Marshawn Lynch is formally inducted.

Will the former Seattle Seahawks running back actually wear that gaudy gold blazer, which makes even the most physically impressive former player look like a realtor or a bowl-game representative?

Or will he have a hoodie on underneath, his eyes hidden by sunglasses?

Will he step up to the mic and say “I’m only here for the jacket”?

Will he pound on a native hand drum? Will he scatter Skittles among the patrons?

When he’s finished, will he grab a big handful of himself and dive backward into the crowd?

The limitless possibilities played out in my mind soon after I saw the list of 2017 Hall inductees announced last week.

The first thought was of relief for former Seahawks safety Kenny Easley. He should have gotten in on the regular ballot years ago. He was so far ahead of his time in the mid-80s that his injury-shortened time of service should have been irrelevant.

But admission as a senior at least partially compensated for the oversight.

The second thought was that when Denver Bronco back Terrell Davis was voted in, it seemed that the door opened wide for Seahawk back Marshawn Lynch.

And, man, do I want to watch his acceptance speech.

In a general sense, the Hall’s movement with Easley and Davis seems a recognition that truly great players shouldn’t be punished for injury-shortened careers, and a player’s impact on the game can tip the scales against less impressive total career statistics.

Backs like Gale Sayers and Earl Campbell were fairly rare exceptions whose excellence warranted induction even if their career numbers were below the typical statistical thresholds.

Since Lynch’s retirement, his Hall worthiness was fair debate. He finished with 9,112 yards in nine seasons, with 74 rushing touchdowns and five Pro Bowl appearances. A good number of backs had bigger totals and will go nowhere near Canton.

Davis’ rushing total of 7,607 yards ranks a lowly 55th all time as he had just four healthy seasons before a knee injury killed his career. But he rushed for more than 2,000 yards in one of those seasons, and he won both an MVP and a Super Bowl MVP.

In some ways, former Seahawk Shaun Alexander might have better grounds for induction than Davis; he’s 33rd in all-time rushing and rushed for 100 touchdowns — setting the NFL record of 27 in his NFL MVP season of 2005.

So the numbers game can be tricky.

But Davis makes it easier on Lynch. His voting proves that committee members weigh the intangibles.

Perhaps when they look at Alexander (who was one of 13 running backs nominated for Hall consideration this year) they see somebody who had a stellar career, but who benefited from running behind All-Pros Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson.

But Lynch, well, he was different. He made holes where none existed. The effort shown in some of his 2-yard gains would be on other backs’ career highlight reels.

And when he really broke away on one, the result was unforgettable. Every player in the NFL watched his Beast Quake run against New Orleans and screamed in awe.

How many years into the future will that run be shown on highlights? Or the one against Arizona in 2014, or the time he powered out of a cluster of the entire Eagle defense, or the cut that dropped Ray Lewis flat on his face, or the sweep against the Giants that left players flattened or grasping at air?

There truly were dozens of times when Marshawn Lynch caused witnesses to question whether they really saw what they thought they saw. Did that just happen? Did he just do that?

That’s what gets somebody in the Hall of Fame.

And that’s why Lynch will be there, because it’s not just a haven for the great, but for the truly extraordinary.

You never knew what he would do next.

And that will go for his induction as well."

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/sp ... 58134.html

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I see a lot of posts that mention that SA ran behind a great OL. He did, not a disagreement there but that shouldn't minimize any totals he amassed.

Terrell Davis was inducted into the HOF, he ran behind a terrific OL too. His OL guys were - Mark Schlereth, Tom Nalen, Gary Zimmerman, and Brian Habib. Zimmerman is a HOF inducted in 2008. A lot of great RBs had solid OL in front of them. Many of them are in HOF. SA has just as good as numbers as all those guys.

I think where TD has an upper hand is he is still involved with NFL (NFL Network, etc) while SA's involvement since he retired has been relatively minimal. That may go against him.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3agn4jbi said:
I see a lot of posts that mention that SA ran behind a great OL. He did, not a disagreement there but that shouldn't minimize any totals he amassed.

Terrell Davis was inducted into the HOF, he ran behind a terrific OL too. His OL guys were - Mark Schlereth, Tom Nalen, Gary Zimmerman, and Brian Habib. Zimmerman is a HOF inducted in 2008. A lot of great RBs had solid OL in front of them. Many of them are in HOF. SA has just as good as numbers as all those guys.

I think where TD has an upper hand is he is still involved with NFL (NFL Network, etc) while SA's involvement since he retired has been relatively minimal. That may go against him.

pg-3329_1z.jpg

Cant get past this.