That was a touchdown

drdiags

Reaction score
If you call TD because you aren't sure the only drawback is if there is no conclusive evidence one way or the other. Now you basically have awarded the team a TD when your first instinct told you it wasn't a catch. The conclusive evidence to over-turn is the drawback for the "if in doubt for a scoring play, call TD" angle.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
mikeak":3qipfdch said:
You can't argue that the refs should call something to then lean on replay. If they don't have conclusive evidence the ruling stands so they really need to call what they see.

Seahawks should have challenged

I would agree with this if the refs were competent.

253hawk

Reaction score
I think eventually, all goal line and end zone plays will be automatically reviewed instead of just the ones that are initially determined to be TD's by the refs. Games shouldn't be decided late on how a team has to budget its whopping two-challenge-per-game allocation, plus the expense of lost timeouts if there "isn't enough evidence" to overturn even if they were right.

The only reason the challenge system exists in the first place is because the refs can't seem to do their job (white helmet =/= brown football). NBA and NHL refs are fairly young and fit. I'm not sure why the NFL continues to use these old geezers that look like they work at a feed store. If they were just half a step quicker, they'd probably be in better position to catch some of these plays instead of needing a slow-mo HD camera to cover their ass and 50-50 judgment.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Bitter":22pl5mxj said:
hawknation2015":22pl5mxj said:
It looks like he got his left toe down fractions of a second before his left hand and shin hit out of bounds. I don't envy the referees having to make that call in real time, given that it happened instantaneously as he was sandwiched between two defenders. But it was close enough that we should have challenged it.

Actually, should have been called a TD and let the automatic challenge on scoring plays handle it.
Yep. Those refs sucked.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
While Baldwin not getting credit for this is unfortunate it's also equally tragic that Wilson will never get recognition for one of the most insane throws and completions of all time. That scramble and throw is the epitome of what makes Russell Wilson a one of a kind talent.

vtxretro02

Reaction score
YES THAT WAS A TOUCHDOWN... RAY CHARLES COULD HAVE SEEN THAT EVEN IF THE REF'S COULDNT...

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
BlueBlood":1rg5t7m1 said:
While Baldwin not getting credit for this is unfortunate it's also equally tragic that Wilson will never get recognition for one of the most insane throws and completions of all time. That scramble and throw is the epitome of what makes Russell Wilson a one of a kind talent.

There will be more.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":dqk235aa said:
More fuel to the fire.....the browns are going to a slaughterhouse.......in Seattle.

Very little tape on Jonny M. He might give us fits because of that, let alone his mobility.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2sn7wwen said:
Seahawkfan80":2sn7wwen said:
More fuel to the fire.....the browns are going to a slaughterhouse.......in Seattle.

Very little tape on Jonny M. He might give us fits because of that, let alone his mobility.
5 games is plenty.
Vs the Niners, they opened in a spread offense for the first handful of plays, which were timing plays, they want Johnny to get comfortable and into a rhythm. I would expect the same now. The TE, Barnidge, is pretty good. They will be looking to get him between hook zones and down the seam vs cover 3, no doubt that is a weakness they spotted. They will try to get Benjamin over whoever isn't Sherman, Johnny seems to know where his big WR is at all times, a trait he showed with Evans in college.
But I doubt Crowell is going to run like he did last week, and if our current offensive streak continues, and it should, Johnny will have to get one dimensional. Which sucks for him, but will treat to fans to some crazy ass scrambles.

I think there is plenty to see on Johnny. And our D has a bit of insider's knowledge on scrambling QBs.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":zbgajwzb said:
Seems like from the other angle, his toe is actually our of bounds when his right foot comes down there. also, i think his knee might have been down before the left toe taps. Still, the effort was there from both Doug AND Russ, and it was so close to being one of the most spectacular plays I've ever seen.

Disagree...you can clearly see his left foot snap down instinctively before he goes out of bounds and then he drags the toe out. When you snap your foot down like that there's no way your knee hits first. I'm with OP that was clearly a TD.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
DynoHawk":2s8d2osz said:
Only thing you can't see is if he "completed the catch", doesn't show if he bobbled it going to the ground.

You can see in the bottom gif he immediately tucks that ball firmly in his arm and it never moves the whole way down. That's most definitely a catch.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Good article explaining this:
http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/12/19 ... l-explains

“I missed that one,” Carroll said. “I missed it. We looked back, we were sitting on the plane, Doug and I are sitting on the plane, we dig it out, stopping it, and I think he’s in. When I saw it full speed, I didn’t think he was in. I’m just kicking myself in the head. Nobody saw it, and the board didn’t give you many shots at it either, so we didn’t get any support, but I think he was in bounds. That was a phenomenal throw and catch and I wish we could have nailed that one. I don’t know if it would have been conclusive, even with what we saw. From our side we thought it was in.”

Teams usually have one assistant coach in charge of letting the head coach know if the play should be challenged, but that coach—in Seattle’s case, quarterbacks coach Carl Smith—is only going off the same network feed that fans at home are watching on TV.

“(Smith) is kind of using everybody’s information upstairs,” Carroll said. “I’ll click to the defense and see if they have an opinion too. Sometimes, they’re all hollering it, you can hear it through the headsets anyways. It’s kind of a cool moment trying to figure that stuff out. Carl is really the best guy for me to go to, and we have the best background to make sense of stuff. He’s been really instrumental.”

beastalamode

Reaction score
I would say we need a 3rd angle from Baldwins left side to properly determine if he maintained possession going to the ground. Without it I could see them staying with the call on the field.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
beastalamode":20qms61k said:
I would say we need a 3rd angle from Baldwins left side to properly determine if he maintained possession going to the ground. Without it I could see them staying with the call on the field.

The call on the field was that he was out of bounds, not that he failed to secure the catch. I haven't seen anything that would indicate that he failed to secure the catch.

CanineImpoliteGodwit

beastalamode

Reaction score
After seeing that angle I think they would have ruled that a td, thats too bad Pete didn't challenge it. Oh well, we probably got a td on that drive anyways 8)

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
hawknation2015":1jehrj18 said:
Good article explaining this:
http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/12/19 ... l-explains

Teams usually have one assistant coach in charge of letting the head coach know if the play should be challenged, but that coach—in Seattle’s case, quarterbacks coach Carl Smith—is only going off the same network feed that fans at home are watching on TV.

Well, we've found the problem. I expect them to fix it so this doesn't happen in the future.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It wasn't really a problem by the coaching staff though. They never got a replay look that was any better than we had from the live broadcast because it wasn't show on the big board in the stadium. I don't think they ever have more than that. And Pete knows that players often think they got it even when they didn't. He would have had to gamble, and in this case he wasn't willing to do so. Had he gambled and lost the challenge and then later needed that TO...

There's always some guesswork involved.

Latest posts