That was the #1 DVOA Defense we just killed...

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3t3jqrbe said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":3t3jqrbe said:
IT's so mysterious - our QB and RB are healthy and the line is playing well and suddenly Bevell knows how to be a good offensive coordinator.

We've 800 yards of offense in their last 6 1/2 quarters and counting...

The line is playing pretty average. Glowinski in particular has had a crummy day.

Yea, he's living up to the hype of his above average rookie start in Arizona last year. Hopefully he'll get better as this is his first year (not like Ifedi hasn't had challenges).

It's also nice to see what our line looks like with a couple of RB's that actually fight for yardage and have decent field vision. Amazing what getting that extra couple yards a play does for run game continuity.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Dominated for the most part, I give Bevell kudos, red zone does need some work. Eagles defense is legit. I think PA would have worked very well on a few of the 2nd and short runs he called but that's nit-picking. Doug was getting crazy separation all game.

The one issue I had was the 3 and out late in the game with a run to Boykin, run with Russ, and then FB dive after Philly brought the lead to 9. A first down there most likely ends the game and we just conceded the ball. Burning their timeouts was a must but if they were worried about Rawls' snaps (not sure why they would be, he was the one creating contact all day), very safe pass plays can work the same (Russ just slides if it's not wide open to not stop the clock). In the end, defense stepped up and got the W, but I would have liked to see a 'end them now' mentality. Pete must have been fine trusting the defense with a 9 point lead.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
BigBallsPete":356i5epn said:
If Bevell is so great, how come he doesn't get interviews for HC positions?

Maybe he isn't Head Coach material?

Have people stopped to consider the possibility that a guy can be a good offensive coordinator but not necessarily destined to be a HC?

Plus, we're talking about a league that recycles Mike Mularkey (on his third HC gig). Being a HC or not is no review of your actual talent.

mistaowen

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1uu0dw86 said:
BigBallsPete":1uu0dw86 said:
If Bevell is so great, how come he doesn't get interviews for HC positions?

Maybe he isn't Head Coach material?

Have people stopped to consider the possibility that a guy can be a good offensive coordinator but not necessarily destined to be a HC?

Plus, we're talking about a league that recycles Mike Mularkey (on his third HC gig). Being a HC or not is no review of your actual talent.

Honest question, how much does someone like Bevell make? I'm sure those figures are somewhere. If the salary bump isn't that great to go to a bottom dweller for the next 2-4 years, depending on if your vision is given the time to work by the FO, you have to think staying in a winning organization focusing on one side of the ball would be better. Which is why I'd be surprised if guys like McDaniels go anywhere in the near future even though I'm sure he will field offers.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm not sure everybody wants to be a head coach. I know that flies in the face of our American traditionally Type A personality profile, but maybe Bevell is happy being an OC for a very successful franchise.

;)

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
sutz":93hv18mv said:
I'm not sure everybody wants to be a head coach. I know that flies in the face of our American traditionally Type A personality profile, but maybe Bevell is happy being an OC for a very successful franchise.

;)
Bingo. And contributing to that happiness, it is likely that he is lavishly compensated.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
From the get-go of Sunday's win, I felt confident in our offense and after Jimmy's TD catch, never really felt a threat that Philly would come back to post a win. Bev, in conjunction with Cable, Pete and the entire offensive coaching staff, is fitting our personnel together for a big- strike attack that relies on a smooth rhythm generated by our quarterback.

I don't get the brain makeup of some of these posters who basically say that our success ... and our offensive coordinator's success ... is solely attributed to the talents of our athletes, most notably Russell's. How utterly naive. This is organized football, not a bunch of backyard freelancers. In Bevell's case, he teaches Russell how to best use his great talent to fit within the structure of the offense to make for a dynamic scoring unit that has outpointed its foes 68 percent of the time over the past 4 years and about 80 percent of the time from November on in that same time period. Like all good coaches, he has the Hawks hitting their peak performance level when it matters most.

Remember too that Pete cherishes ball security above all else, so yeah, we might be a little more risk adverse than the typical team in the red zone. But I'm OK with this because I've seen the pattern and realize that the few on here who are bellyaching about it don't really understand the Seahawk way of winning and are likely point-obsessed MADDEN players or fantasy football zealots whose skew on their expectations for this team in the red zone are influenced by their past time pursuits. In reality, though, suggesting that this team score 40 points a game is such an absurd statement that it has to be arbitrarily dismissed.

As I've said elsewhere, field goals also figure more into our winning equation than the typical team since we surrender fewer points than any other team. The New Orleans Saints couldn't afford being so risk-adverse in the red zone as us because their defense is a sieve and yields umpteen points. But that's the opposite of how we're built and it perplexes me that some on here haven't grasped that yet. We've only been employing that tactic -- successfully by the way -- for nearly 5 years now.

BigBallsPete

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":lks9ykl6 said:
sutz":lks9ykl6 said:

;)
Bingo. And contributing to that happiness, it is likely that he is lavishly compensated.

31 NFL teams are speaking LOUD and CLEAR w/ how they feel about Bevell, so you don't have to believe the folks on this board who don't like him:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...eahawks-darrell-bevell-coaching-nfl/22550721/

"After the 2012 season, he interviewed with the Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals and Jacksonville Jaguars. Prior to Seattle's run to last year's Super Bowl, Bevell was considered for jobs with Washington and Minnesota. This year, he's juggled Super Bowl prep along with interviews with the Buffalo Bills and Oakland Raiders.

All went other directions, but Bevell is staying patient.

"I wouldn't say (it's) frustrating," Bevell said. "It's been a great experience. I'm excited for those opportunities. When it happens, it's going to happen."

HawkerD

Reaction score
sutz":4j38ldjt said:
HawkerD":4j38ldjt said:
sutz":4j38ldjt said:
Simple answer. It's November. Time to start cranking things up again. :laugh:

I swear, this has happened like this every year of Pete's tenure. They play so-so in Sept/Oct, then turn it on late in the year. I don't even know how, but I'm starting to suspect they might be playing with the injury reports. It always seems we get some key player back on Nov 1 that helps turn the team around.

Haters gonna hate, whiners gonna whine. Three weeks ago, folks were clutching their pearls and chewing their knuckles about this horrendous stretch of the season, and we went 3-0. I'm gonna just relax and enjoy the ride.

:)
Does anyone really thing Bevel is a great or even an above average offensive mind? We scored when a RB broke one, on a trick play and on a scramble drill where RW and JG both made a great play. Yes we moved up and down the field but when it came time for play calls to put it in the end zone we failed. I could go through the play calls but we all watched it.

Bevel is an OC who is willing to let PC dictate a low volume offense. As long as the offense doesn't turn the ball over he is a god in PC's eyes
Funny, but that's exactly how we lost SB40*. ;)

Last I heard, it's about winning games, not syle points or Fantasy Football scores. I don't do FF, and I don't bet on the games, so frankly, IDC if we win by 1 or by 100. If we win I'm happy. Y'all have fun, though. :snack:

I don't play FF. The point is opponents are staying in the game long after they should be put away. If the opponent gets a break all of a sudden you are in jeopardy of losing the game. Bottom line is SB teams put up 6 in the RZ and put away teams when they are down. And now that our kicker is not quite automatic it becomes even more important.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3vlwleck said:
Love the win today, but this hardly exonerates Bevell of all charges. He made some boneheaded calls today that would be surprising if they weren't so routine by now. You've got to wonder if a better OC would have made TDs out of those FGs.

Yes -- let's employ the offensive coordinator who guarantees touchdowns in the red zone.

Let's go get that guy.

He's probably unemployed and just waiting for the call.

:roll:

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":10remcky said:
WindCityHawk":10remcky said:
Love the win today, but this hardly exonerates Bevell of all charges. He made some boneheaded calls today that would be surprising if they weren't so routine by now. You've got to wonder if a better OC would have made TDs out of those FGs.

Yes -- let's employ the offensive coordinator who guarantees touchdowns in the red zone.

Let's go get that guy.

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."

Bevell could be much better at his job.

Many coordinators are better at their jobs.

To praise Bevell--and his empty backfields on 3rd and short, his insistence on bubble screens which have never worked, or his baffling use of Jimmy Graham--as an asset rather than a hindrance is willfully delusional. You cannot tell me, with a straight face, that our offensive load is carried by Bevell's strategic game-planning rather than Wilson's (and for a while, Marshawn's) transcendent talent.

There's no way Bevell said to Wilson yesterday, "Flee to your left, hope Graham breaks right, flip it desperately his way, and hope he breaks a tackle for a touchdown." That was pure improvisation by great players to make the best of a bad situation.

(Not to overlook our offensive line most days, but to my point:) Bevell is a bad situation.

I can't make my case any clearer than this.

tl;dr: Marshawn Lynch doesn't flip you off when you're making smart calls.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":t0qv02ev said:
theENGLISHseahawk":t0qv02ev said:
WindCityHawk":t0qv02ev said:

Let's go get that guy.

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."

Bevell could be much better at his job.

Many coordinators are better at their jobs.

To praise Bevell--and his empty backfields on 3rd and short, his insistence on bubble screens which have never worked, or his baffling use of Jimmy Graham--as an asset rather than a hindrance is willfully delusional. You cannot tell me, with a straight face, that our offensive load is carried by Bevell's strategic game-planning rather than Wilson's (and for a while, Marshawn's) transcendent talent.

There's no way Bevell said to Wilson yesterday, "Flee to your left, hope Graham breaks right, flip it desperately his way, and hope he breaks a tackle for a touchdown." That was pure improvisation by great players to make the best of a bad situation.

(Not to overlook our offensive line most days, but to my point:) Bevell is a bad situation.

I can't make my case any clearer than this.

tl;dr: Marshawn Lynch doesn't flip you off when you're making smart calls.

And Phil Jackson was just an average NBA coach; he was just "lucky" to win 11 NBA titles because he had Michael and Shaq.

I totally disagree with your assertion. Might as well call Pete an incompetent coach by your logic, as well. Heck, by your standards, all we need is Schneider to bring in superstars every year, pull a guy off the street to stand on the sidelines and we'll be 12-time Super Bowl champs before you know it.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Some of the anti Bevell brigade don't half talk some rubbish on this subject.

7-2-1

Go Hawks

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
BigBallsPete":2aydblli said:
LeftHandSmoke":2aydblli said:
sutz":2aydblli said:

;)

31 NFL teams are speaking LOUD and CLEAR w/ how they feel about Bevell, so you don't have to believe the folks on this board who don't like him:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...eahawks-darrell-bevell-coaching-nfl/22550721/

"After the 2012 season, he interviewed with the Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals and Jacksonville Jaguars. Prior to Seattle's run to last year's Super Bowl, Bevell was considered for jobs with Washington and Minnesota. This year, he's juggled Super Bowl prep along with interviews with the Buffalo Bills and Oakland Raiders.

"I wouldn't say (it's) frustrating," Bevell said. "It's been a great experience. I'm excited for those opportunities. When it happens, it's going to happen."
And if he got offers you know what he likely did with them: Present them to JS, asking "Are you willing to match?"

That is possible, it's not as if we have the stingiest owner in the NFL..

HawkerD

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3chikt3b said:
BigBallsPete":3chikt3b said:
LeftHandSmoke":3chikt3b said:
sutz":3chikt3b said:

;)

And if he got offers you know what he likely did with them: Present them to JS, asking "Are you willing to match?"

That is possible, it's not as if we have the stingiest owner in the NFL..

Wait...I see something on the grassy knoll!

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
^ Funny! But c'mon, shopping around for value numbers is a common practice - have seen it in my profession too, have also seen some stay because overall they are happier without the hassle of switching.

I have no doubt whatsoever that PC can keep almost anyone that he wants to keep happy, within reason.

edit, that's not even to point out how much interest there has been - in the article quoted.