The #1 WRs in this Draft are...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":myed2e0y said:
Cooper is only 6'1 with a "yucky" 33 inch vertical. He's nothing more than a #5 WR

Please tell me you forgot this :sarcasm_on:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3egf0ubf said:
Hawkfan77":3egf0ubf said:
Cooper is only 6'1 with a "yucky" 33 inch vertical. He's nothing more than a #5 WR

hawksurething":3egf0ubf said:
Norwood only has a 33 inch vertical ! Yuck :(

Norwood has good hands I like,but his 33 inch very negates him being 6'2. He can't win jump balls like dez,Marshall,etc...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108892

Just using the OPs logic

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":bu7mytp9 said:
Hasselbeck":bu7mytp9 said:
Hawkfan77":bu7mytp9 said:

hawksurething":bu7mytp9 said:

Norwood has good hands I like,but his 33 inch very negates him being 6'2. He can't win jump balls like dez,Marshall,etc...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108892

Just using the OPs logic

Oh thank god. :lol:

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":ryf92gra said:
Hasselbeck":ryf92gra said:
Hawkfan77":ryf92gra said:

hawksurething":ryf92gra said:

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108892

Just using the OPs logic

Nope. That logic was only for norwood who has many other weakness. While Cooper is a all pro WR who's other attributes overcome his low vertical & size. That's a the reason he is a top 3 WR by all the draft experts.

You should never go off subject with me. :)

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
hawknation2015":36b0ky4u said:
UK_Seahawk":36b0ky4u said:
WRs that caught the eye for me from watching drills at the combine were (outside of the main ones already mentioned and in no particular order):

Agholor
McBride
Lockette
Montgomery
Strong

I would be happy with any of the above. Waller still intrigues me greatly also.

I agree on Agholor. He's a smooth operator. The one combine measurable with the most statistical significance to a WR's success in the NFL is his 10-yard split. Agholor had the 2nd best 10-yard split (1.53) from this WR class. That's 1/10 better than Amari Cooper's best time. It's too bad Agholor broke his finger and didn't participate in the rest of the drills.

The Jeremy Maclin comparison is looking like a good one for Agholor:
B YCVzlIYAAqw7Z

Yes...you get it...agholor has many attributes in live Gamez that will make him a good slot WR :)

That's why he is on my list. I like your Montgomery pick too ! :)

Thank you for giving us hawks fans some insight & data,instead of just try to sidestep the subject like other people who I won't name like they come at me :)

They just don't want our Hawks to have good WRs for the next Superbowl...for some odd reason ???

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
We would probably get a WR in the 2nd round as Schneider is already trying to trade our 31st selection. Which WR you think would last in the 2nd?

Also the draft players profile don't tell every story. Wilson was graded lower than Brandon Weeden, Ryan Tannehill, Colin Kaepernick, Nick Foles and RG3. In the end some players just ends up being better in the NFL, and the one thing they can't grade is heart and determination.

I would like one that would be contributing right away. One that can play WR and return Punts.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2ywgxvku said:
We would probably get a WR in the 2nd round as Schneider is already trying to trade our 31st selection. Which WR you think would last in the 2nd?

Of that list of 5, McBride is head and shoulders above the rest of them.

Even before the combine, I felt he was a special talent from a pure ball skills perspective. Very natural hands catcher. Frames the ball with his hands incredibly accurately and quickly. Instinctively reaches for balls and catches them away from his frame. Balls don't rattle around in his hands. Loved watching him (and Maxx Williams) catch balls at the combine. They are such smooth ball catchers -- the balls barely make a sound when they hit their hands. Just eerily smooth. Ball hits the hands and just stick like they were thrown in tar.

Outstanding at tracking the ball. Particularly outstanding at recognizing errant balls quickly and aggressively working to the ball. Don't find him giving up on under thrown balls or waiting on balls to come to him. Works back to the ball and high points balls with unnatural fluidity. Wins contested balls. Attacks the ball like it's his own personal property. In this regard, he impresses me as the kind of receiver that QBs will immediately trust to make catches or on bad balls, ensure incompletions. Will make his QB look better than they are.

Looks on tape like he's a big receiver. Stunned really that he's 6 foot flat. Plays much MUCH bigger than that. Physically very well composed. Not long legged, has a very fluid and quick stride with great balance. Carries 210 pounds effortlessly on his frame. Could easily carry more.

His footwork is equally impressive. Very quick feet, with strong ability to stick a foot in the ground and go from either left or right. Should provide a great base from which to develop route running at the next level at an accelerated rate. Has terrific balance and doesn't lose speed out of his cuts. Explodes from cuts squarely. Watching him, he's an ideal candidate for a team that might seek to employ timing routes. Ability to track balls quickly, present a target immediately from cuts, and ability to snare the ball cleanly without double catching the ball. Shows the ability to cleanly catch passes thrown before the break.

From a pure receiving skills standpoint, I see the best receiver in the entire class in McBride. Better than Cooper/White.

The question coming in was his athleticism. He clearly flashed production at a lower competition level. And when he faced BCS schools, he elevated his game to the point of being the best player on the field for either team. But still it was an unknown quantity.

Tre really had a dominant combine. Posted the best 10 yd split of the class -- better than Phillip Dorsett which should impress anyone. Quick feet and acceleration confirmed. Top 5 in the short shuttle. Very good long speed at 4.41. Top 10 explosion numbers (vert/broad).

From a pure measurables standpoint, he's outstanding even if we pool the last 5 drafts together. When coupled with his tools and footwork, and his natural receiving talent -- he strikes me as a transcendent combination that really should conspire to make a pro bowl kind of talent. He should rate very highly in interviews. Well spoken and exhibits great character. His stock really seems overly depressed as a small school talent. The fact that this draft has a large number of high quality BCS receiving talent is also conspiring to push him further down in the draft. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if he goes before 31 and I expect him to rise on draft boards as the draft approaches.

IMO, he's our #1 WR day one.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2m6pcno4 said:
theincrediblesok":2m6pcno4 said:

Even before the combine, I felt he was a special talent from a pure ball skills perspective. Very natural hands catcher. Frames the ball with his hands incredibly accurately and quickly. Instinctively reaches for balls and catches them away from his frame. Balls don't rattle around in his hands. Loved watching him (and Maxx Williams) catch balls at the combine. They are such smooth ball catchers -- the balls barely make a sound when they hit their hands. Just eerily smooth. Ball hits the hands and just stick like they were thrown in tar.

Outstanding at tracking the ball. Particularly outstanding at recognizing errant balls quickly and aggressively working to the ball. Don't find him giving up on under thrown balls or waiting on balls to come to him. Works back to the ball and high points balls with unnatural fluidity. Wins contested balls. Attacks the ball like it's his own personal property. In this regard, he impresses me as the kind of receiver that QBs will immediately trust to make catches or on bad balls, ensure incompletions. Will make his QB look better than they are.

Looks on tape like he's a big receiver. Stunned really that he's 6 foot flat. Plays much MUCH bigger than that. Physically very well composed. Not long legged, has a very fluid and quick stride with great balance. Carries 210 pounds effortlessly on his frame. Could easily carry more.

His footwork is equally impressive. Very quick feet, with strong ability to stick a foot in the ground and go from either left or right. Should provide a great base from which to develop route running at the next level at an accelerated rate. Has terrific balance and doesn't lose speed out of his cuts. Explodes from cuts squarely. Watching him, he's an ideal candidate for a team that might seek to employ timing routes. Ability to track balls quickly, present a target immediately from cuts, and ability to snare the ball cleanly without double catching the ball. Shows the ability to cleanly catch passes thrown before the break.

From a pure receiving skills standpoint, I see the best receiver in the entire class in McBride. Better than Cooper/White.

The question coming in was his athleticism. He clearly flashed production at a lower competition level. And when he faced BCS schools, he elevated his game to the point of being the best player on the field for either team. But still it was an unknown quantity.

Tre really had a dominant combine. Posted the best 10 yd split of the class -- better than Phillip Dorsett which should impress anyone. Quick feet and acceleration confirmed. Top 5 in the short shuttle. Very good long speed at 4.41. Top 10 explosion numbers (vert/broad).

From a pure measurables standpoint, he's outstanding even if we pool the last 5 drafts together. When coupled with his tools and footwork, and his natural receiving talent -- he strikes me as a transcendent combination that really should conspire to make a pro bowl kind of talent. He should rate very highly in interviews. Well spoken and exhibits great character. His stock really seems overly depressed as a small school talent. The fact that this draft has a large number of high quality BCS receiving talent is also conspiring to push him further down in the draft. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if he goes before 31 and I expect him to rise on draft boards as the draft approaches.

I love people who study !
Yes McBride is a amazing catcher...the only thing that remains to be seen is if he gets of the press with ease vs good competition???

If he can do that then he is the sleeper in the draft. If he can't ? Then all the other amazing attributes won't make him a WR that must be double covered.

Thank you for your detailed insight :)

Go Hawks !

chris98251

Reaction score
I want the Largent, Rice, Reed, John Taylor of this draft, no speed, questionable ability, but champion attitude and the steal of the draft, every year there is one.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The top two guys after White, Cooper, Parker, and DGB that I think make an impact is Agholor and Strong. Of the two, Agholor has the higher floor but Strong the higher ceiling. Both pretty different players. Both I really like.

After I got a chance to dig into some games of Agholor and I came away surprised how high I was on him. He's got quickness and is physical blocking and with the ball in his hands. I thought his focus catching the ball in tight coverage was superb. Where a guy like Strong is at his best in the vertical game, making tough catches high pointing the ball over a cornerback, Agholor is better over the middle which gives him a lateral part of his game that Strong doesn't excel in. He made a number of catches in tight coverage that I wish i could make some gif's to show some examples of that. He's also experienced in a route tree. USC did well to showcase him a number of different way.

Watching his games, he come across as a emotional guy. Someone who would stand up into Sherman's face and talk trash and then back it up. Not sure what he's like off the field. From what I've seen of him play, he's offers versatile as as an nside or outside receiver which I think Pete would like. He was also a dynamite punt returner and adds the ability to make some YAC plays that we lost with Tate. I think he's one of the most elusive receivers in the draft. His combine 40 time 4.42 with a 1.53 sec 10-yard split helps confirms that. Keep an eye on his pro day numbers for the rest cause I think they'll be big numbers in every category.

I don't really care that he doesn't have "elite" #1 traits. I'm a big fan of giving Wilson a big target, but I prefer a complete receiver at 6' than a tall receiver with flaws in his game. NFL teams, especially Seattle, doesn't need #1 receiver to have a dangerous passing attack, just a group of great players. Agholor would fit into this system of never knowing who the main guy will be in any given week. Maybe some fans don't like that formula but I think that makes for a tough offense for defenses to plan for.

I've seen 3rd and 4th rd projections which IMO is way to low. I like Agholor better than I did Paul Richardson who went mid-2nd among a great class, so you can guess where I view him.

Edit: I had my moments where i thought Funchess could be an impact player. I thought as a moveable piece he could be a threat but I was also in doubt if he really could play outside. His 4.70 40 time kind of shot down that thought. Mostly I haven't seen to many receivers at his size that it makes it really hard to project the guy.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":28lt8lu1 said:
The top two guys after White, Cooper, Parker, and DGB that I think make an impact is Agholor and Strong. Of the two, Agholor has the higher floor but Strong the higher ceiling. Both pretty different players. Both I really like.

After I got a chance to dig into some games of Agholor and I came away surprised how high I was on him. He's got quickness and is physical blocking and with the ball in his hands. I thought his focus catching the ball in tight coverage was superb. Where a guy like Strong is at his best in the vertical game, making tough catches high pointing the ball over a cornerback, Agholor is better over the middle which gives him a lateral part of his game that Strong doesn't excel in. He made a number of catches in tight coverage that I wish i could make some gif's to show some examples of that. He's also experienced in a route tree. USC did well to showcase him a number of different way.

Watching his games, he come across as a emotional guy. Someone who would stand up into Sherman's face and talk trash and then back it up. Not sure what he's like off the field. From what I've seen of him play, he's offers versatile as as an nside or outside receiver which I think Pete would like. He was also a dynamite punt returner and adds the ability to make some YAC plays that we lost with Tate. I think he's one of the most elusive receivers in the draft. His combine 40 time 4.42 with a 1.53 sec 10-yard split helps confirms that. Keep an eye on his pro day numbers for the rest cause I think they'll be big numbers in every category.

I don't really care that he doesn't have "elite" #1 traits. I'm a big fan of giving Wilson a big target, but I prefer a complete receiver at 6' than a tall receiver with flaws in his game. NFL teams, especially Seattle, doesn't need #1 receiver to have a dangerous passing attack, just a group of great players. Agholor would fit into this system of never knowing who the main guy will be in any given week. Maybe some fans don't like that formula but I think that makes for a tough offense for defenses to plan for.

I've seen 3rd and 4th rd projections which IMO is way to low. I like Agholor better than I did Paul Richardson who went mid-2nd among a great class, so you can guess where I view him.

Edit: I had my moments where i thought Funchess could be an impact player. I thought as a moveable piece he could be a threat but I was also in doubt if he really could play outside. His 4.70 40 time kind of shot down chat thought. Mostly I haven't seen to many receivers at his size that it makes it really hard to project the guy.

Hawks get both Strong & agholor in the draft to fix the horrible passing game :)

Strong for Wilson's deep balls & redzone. & agholor at the #2 spot for the middle stuff,with Baldwin in the slot.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Jaelen Strong is Jordan Matthews for me. I didn't like Matthews last year, he struggled to get separation on a consistent basis and I was willing to ignore a lot of the other stuff because of it. Like Strong he came to the combine with very little expectation but put up some really solid numbers.

Matthews landed in the perfect situation to succeed this year, I don't think he'd have put up a better season on any other team. That Eagles offense finds ways to best utilize their pass catchers and they did a really nice job getting Matthews open. Like Matthews I think Strong can have success on the right team. Out of those who'll be looking at receivers in his range I think New England would be a nice fit, and maybe the Colts if they wait on a running back.

Not crazy about his fit with the Hawks. I think he kinda falls in between our needs of a big guy who can dominate the redline/redzone and a diminutive receiving/return threat ala Lockett/Dorsett

In agreement with Attyla about McBride, can't believe he only measured in at 6ft, he plays so much bigger and can do it all. He'll have that small school chip on his shoulder too. Could develop into a great player though I'm not taking him on day one. He's there at the end of the 2nd and might even be had in the 3rd.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":ej7p5i36 said:
Jaelen Strong is Jordan Matthews for me. I didn't like Matthews last year, he struggled to get separation on a consistent basis and I was willing to ignore a lot of the other stuff because of it. Like Strong he came to the combine with very little expectation but put up some really solid numbers.

Matthews landed in the perfect situation to succeed this year, I don't think he'd have put up a better season on any other team. That Eagles offense finds ways to best utilize their pass catchers and they did a really nice job getting Matthews open. Like Matthews I think Strong can have success on the right team. Out of those who'll be looking at receivers in his range I think New England would be a nice fit, and maybe the Colts if they wait on a running back.

Not crazy about his fit with the Hawks. I think he kinda falls in between our needs of a big guy who can dominate the redline/redzone and a diminutive receiving/return threat ala Lockett/Dorsett

In agreement with Attyla about McBride, can't believe he only measured in at 6ft, he plays so much bigger and can do it all. He'll have that small school chip on his shoulder too. Could develop into a great player though I'm not taking him on day one. He's there at the end of the 2nd and might even be had in the 3rd.

Jordan and most 6'2 WRs don't separate or run good routes..they are tall. Tall WRs put up the huge stats & TDs because they Are open even with DBs hanging all over them.

5'11 WRs are quick so they separate & run good routes...if you can find a short WR that can win jump balls over 6'4 CBs? ...then you have found a rare #1 WR. Like Beckham,Steve smith,& who else ?

6'0 to 6'1 is that all around WR normally,but not many win in the red zone a lot. Antonio brown is the exception lately.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
One thing that I like about Strong is that he seems like he's all about football. Knows the game, loves the game and studies the game. Seems like a hard worker to be good and get better at the game. Seems like he and RW could eat, sleep and drink football together.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":yidkqjd2 said:
theincrediblesok":yidkqjd2 said:

From a pure measurable standpoint, he's outstanding even if we pool the last 5 drafts together. When coupled with his tools and footwork, and his natural receiving talent -- he strikes me as a transcendent combination that really should conspire to make a pro bowl kind of talent. He should rate very highly in interviews. Well spoken and exhibits great character. His stock really seems overly depressed as a small school talent. The fact that this draft has a large number of high quality BCS receiving talent is also conspiring to push him further down in the draft. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if he goes before 31 and I expect him to rise on draft boards as the draft approaches.

Good write-up. I hope you're right. The more top WR prospects the better.

What games of McBride's have you watched? I've been reading lots of people falling in love with this guy but I have no idea how the are coming up with a solid opinion because all I can find is vs West Virgina 2013 and vs Richmond 2014. Granted he looked great both games, but I don't think even WVU has a draftable DB let alone anyone from the CAA conference.

I've been caught over-valuing D1-AA players because of athleticism and lessor competition. Not saying you're way off from saying he could be a first round pick but I'm more skeptical of guys who dominate at the the lower levels unless I see enough tape.

Latest posts