The 2017 recruiting thread.

cesame

Reaction score
Oregon needs to get some momentum going.

Coaching changes are just tough. Gonna be a tough finish to the recruiting cycle. Just how it goes.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":2m1fus28 said:
Oregon needs to get some momentum going.

Coaching changes are just tough. Gonna be a tough finish to the recruiting cycle. Just how it goes.

They've got a massive, impressive list of visitors coming in in the next 3 weeks. Its been a dead period since the day after Taggart got hired, which ends wednesday. We'll finish in the 15th to 20th range which is going to be pretty damn impressive considering the damage Helfrich did on the recruiting trail.

We've got 13 kids signed right now and are expected to take 27 or 28 in this class. Its not even half way done. Gonna be a ton of quality additions in the next few weeks (including 2 five stars who have legitimate interest in the Ducks).

cesame

Reaction score
Perhaps if they fill every single available spot they could finish in the 20's

But this late in the game all of the blue chip recruits are already committed. They aren't going to pull any big names this late in the game. A lot 3 star guys and maybe even some 2 star guys.

Next year will be the year to watch. Having a full year to work on recruits makes a HUGE difference. 2 months or less just isn't enough time. Willie hasn't even coached a game at Oregon yet.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":t102s4fi said:

But this late in the game all of the blue chip recruits are already committed. They aren't going to pull any big names this late in the game. A lot 3 star guys and maybe even some 2 star guys.

Next year will be the year to watch. Having a full year to work on recruits makes a HUGE difference. 2 months or less just isn't enough time. Willie hasn't even coached a game at Oregon yet.

There's 3 four stars who are virtual locks to become Ducks. A corner and 2 linebackers. Over a dozen other 4 star or 5 stars with legitimate interest.

Don't worry about guys already being commited, guys flip late all of the time.

I'll be absolutely shocked if we dont finish in the top 20.

Starting next weekend we're going to be getting QUacks all over the place.

We'll see, i know guys like Justin Hopkins, who covers Oregon recruiting for a living, and talks to all the recruits, are extremely confident in how we close.,

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IndyHawk":zz2mvkkd said:
JSeahawks":zz2mvkkd said:
As expected, Foster Sarrell commits to Stanford. Thats their 2nd 5 star tackle in this class.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3258116/foster-sarell
Nobody but them was getting this guy.He had them down as a kid to himself.That Stanford line is looking damn scary

Stanford has 4 of the top 25 players in the class commited to them. Two tackles, a tight end and a QB.

Ohio State has 10 of the top 50.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I know but everything starts on the OL line on offense..As for D well Stanford may be weak there.As for who has highest top players thats Alabama for 7 straight years..Other schools may have higher academic standards and cannot ever match Alabama,OS or even the Ducks..UW I guess may be able to someday but not sure what their standard is compared to a football factory who takes anybody good like Alabama.

cesame

Reaction score
Obviously Foster saw UW's OL get demolished by Alabama and wanted no part of that

cesame

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3ao7b8e6 said:
cesame":3ao7b8e6 said:

There's 3 four stars who are virtual locks to become Ducks. A corner and 2 linebackers. Over a dozen other 4 star or 5 stars with legitimate interest.

Don't worry about guys already being commited, guys flip late all of the time.

I'll be absolutely shocked if we dont finish in the top 20.

Starting next weekend we're going to be getting QUacks all over the place.

We'll see, i know guys like Justin Hopkins, who covers Oregon recruiting for a living, and talks to all the recruits, are extremely confident in how we close.,

But everything has to break perfectly to finish in the top 20

As you said, guys flip late all of the time. Could easily happen to the Ducks. They've already had 2-3 4 stars decommit after Helfrich was fired.

Whatever Willie and crew salvage from this class I'll be fine with. I'll start judging him on the 2018 recruiting class.

cesame

Reaction score
Nice

Sounds like he's open to playing/trying out different positions. Maybe he winds up on defense, who knows.

Or could just be WR or RB

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":1u15ars3 said:
Nice

Sounds like he's open to playing/trying out different positions. Maybe he winds up on defense, who knows.

Or could just be WR or RB

I think he'll be in the Deanthony thomas role. (Not saying he'll be as good as DAT). Spend some time in the backfield, but most of his time in the slot. Ran a 4.39 electrically timed 40. So he can move.

cesame

Reaction score
Sounds like the Ducks are making a run at Braxton Burmeister

Gotta say... not impressed by his tape at all. Can't imagine him ever being the starter at Oregon.

cesame

Reaction score
On another note, sounds like Willie sent a message last night in his meeting with the team.

Posters on another board with sources that were there to witness the meeting had this to say

Yeaterday, Taggart told the team Helf didn't get fired because he was a bad coach, he got fired because "you guys did what you wanted and didn't care enough. That phase of your life is over as of today."

And

I heard it was much more colorful than that. And that he banned everyone from Taylor's since a few guys had some issues there last year. And then said he would love to catch some one there, and he doesn't care who it is, they will be gone.

Willie setting the tone for the team. Desperately needed after the players walked all over Helf and company.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":3chhrw8d said:
Sounds like the Ducks are making a run at Braxton Burmeister

Gotta say... not impressed by his tape at all. Can't imagine him ever being the starter at Oregon.

He's a great athlete, not a great passer yet, actually kind of reminds me of a faster Jake Locker. His senior tape is a LOT better then his junior tape, so it shows he's willing to work. Plus, even if he never starts (which I agree with you on) its good to have depth to avoid another Jeff Lockie situation.

I could imagine him ending up at safety if he doesnt work out at qb.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":2o4jiokl said:
On another note, sounds like Willie sent a message last night in his meeting with the team.

Posters on another board with sources that were there to witness the meeting had this to say

Yeaterday, Taggart told the team Helf didn't get fired because he was a bad coach, he got fired because "you guys did what you wanted and didn't care enough. That phase of your life is over as of today."

And

I heard it was much more colorful than that. And that he banned everyone from Taylor's since a few guys had some issues there last year. And then said he would love to catch some one there, and he doesn't care who it is, they will be gone.

Willie setting the tone for the team. Desperately needed after the players walked all over Helf and company.

Love it. Love Taggart so far.