"The 53" -- Seahawks, Sept 5th 2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2v7ozune said:
hawknation2015":2v7ozune said:
HarmfulWetGrassspider.gif

Butterfingers can't pick up the football, yet still gains six yards because our gunner doesn't know how to wrap up.
And for every one of these snippets, you'll find 10 of him laying the hammer down.

No, as mentioned above, Lockette had a 4-4 ratio of missed tackles to solo tackles last season. He was the lowest rated gunner in the league.

He is fast, and when he actually hits someone going full speed, it is great (if he doesn't draw the flag for helmet to helmet contact). But that's four good plays, in an entire season, weighed against four missed tackles and four penalties.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2julzrxe said:
Siouxhawk":2julzrxe said:
hawknation2015":2julzrxe said:

Butterfingers can't pick up the football, yet still gains six yards because our gunner doesn't know how to wrap up.
And for every one of these snippets, you'll find 10 of him laying the hammer down.

No, as mentioned above, Lockette had a 4-4 ratio of missed tackles to solo tackles last season. He was the lowest rated gunner in the league.

He is fast, and when he actually hits someone going full speed, it is great (if he doesn't draw the flag for helmet to helmet contact). But that's four good plays, in an entire season, weighed against four missed tackles and four penalties.
Is the role of a gunner to make a solo tackle? Or is it to disrupt the rhythm and turn the ballcarrier back into the wave of following tacklers?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1qeuha5x said:
hawknation2015":1qeuha5x said:
Siouxhawk":1qeuha5x said:
hawknation2015":1qeuha5x said:

Is the role of a gunner to make a solo tackle? Or is it to disrupt the rhythm and turn the ballcarrier back into the wave of following tacklers?

The role is not to miss tackles and cause penalties. We looked much better on special teams when we had Kevin Smith, Kasen Williams, and Eric Pinkins in there. Seahawks were ranked 30th in opponent punt returns last season and were a below average 19th in kickoff returns. That's not getting it done.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2zkczivk said:
Fade":2zkczivk said:
Siouxhawk":2zkczivk said:
Fade":2zkczivk said:
-->Here<-- as in this thread. :roll:
Probably for the same reason you are here, as in this thread.

What making up stories about Ricardo Lockette being a consistant blocker? LMAO
Nonono. Not consistent.. Second to none

Techworlds = Captain DOOM

pcbball12

Reaction score
I guess the only real surprise for me was choosing to keep 2 FB's. I personally would have rather seen McGill make the team and one of them go. I get they are both special teams contributors, but keeping 2 FB's to me is a bit much and a waste of a roster spot.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think it's a huge mistake and shows a tremendous anti bias to blame Bevell for Lockette being on the team. The reality is Bevell isn't even first on the offensive coaching depth chart, and he's at no more than the 5th most influential coach on the team overrall.

That being said, lockette on the team instead of Smith or Williams makes no sense. He's a 29 year old journeyman with no upside who is overrated on specials. If he takes the field on offense it will be like Brian Walters all over again.

In general it seems Pete went with experience over talent, and I wonder if it isn't in the back of his mind to win the Superbowl with the same team that lost it. Sometimes Pete gets suckered by a good story line.

McGruff

Reaction score
Of course, my fault is I love upside. I would've picked Smith and Williams over Daniels and Lockette, McGill over King, and Pinkins over Morgan.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
McGruff":1cisw6xo said:
I think it's a huge mistake and shows a tremendous anti bias to blame Bevell for Lockette being on the team. The reality is Bevell isn't even first on the offensive coaching depth chart, and he's at no more than the 5th most influential coach on the team overrall.

That being said, lockette on the team instead of Smith or Williams makes no sense. He's a 29 year old journeyman with no upside who is overrated on specials. If he takes the field on offense it will be like Brian Walters all over again.

In general it seems Pete went with experience over talent, and I wonder if it isn't in the back of his mind to win the Superbowl with the same team that lost it. Sometimes Pete gets suckered by a good story line.

Now, I admit my gut feeling, about keeping Ricardo being a way for Bevell to further dig in his heals, is at least partially a byproduct of my anti-Bevell bias. I view it in essentially the same way as I view Bevell saying recently that he still likes the play call and then calling the same slant pass to Lockette in the first preseason game: stubbornness, delusion, arrogance, the need to prove a point.

Can you please source your claim that our offensive play caller is no greater than the 5th most influential on the "coaching depth chart," whatever that is, in deciding which WIDE RECEIVERS to keep on the roster. Carroll is a defensive guy first who has the ultimate decision over everything, but often defers to his more specialized assistants. Tom Cable is the running and blocking guru. Who is to say that Bevell does not play an important role in deciding which receivers to keep? Favoring (poor) experience and the perverse desire to prove a point, over superior talent and potential, totally contradicts the core philosophy that this team was built on.

McGruff

Reaction score
Just a hunch that Bevell doesn't have much personnel say. He's pretty much the play caller and that's the end of it.

Carroll
Schneider
Seto
Cable

Those four would have more determination in final roster decisions.

Besides, Lockett being on the roster is far more likely a ST'S decision than an offensive choice. At best he's the 5th WR, which is unfortunate becuase he's probably the 8th or 9th in terms of receiving talent.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Keeping Lockette is definitely a Pete Carroll/Brian Schneider (ST coach) decision. Has almost nothing to do with his prowess as a receiver. We should feel bad for Bev that he gets half his WR group bogarted from him to fulfill ST priorities.

Next time someone is projecting the final 53, might as well just watch kick coverage/blocking unit. It's becoming more clear that matters more than the wide receiver tape on this club if you're at the tail end of the roster.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":29ruf15h said:
Keeping Lockette is definitely a Pete Carroll/Brian Schneider (ST coach) decision. Has almost nothing to do with his prowess as a receiver.

Next time you're projecting the final 53, might as well just watch kick coverage/blocking unit. That matters more than the wide receiver tape on this club if you're at the tail end of the roster.

Aside from SIX total plays, Ricardo has done nothing positive in either area.

Next theory.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
That's six more plays than Kasen has ever made and that's all that matters to Pete apparently. And what are you deeming as a "play"? Every time he's actually missiled a punt returner? Six times is actually quite a lot. How many times have our punt returners been speared in the last four years? Like zero? There's obviously more to his role than that too -- forcing fair catches, generally containing returns on both kicks and punts. There are a ton of guys on our ST unit who are considered aces who don't make "plays." It's about being assignment-sound more than anything.

I think pretty much the entire world realizes Lockette's on this team for specials. Don't think it's much of a debated point, so I'm not sure why you're digging your heels in on this to make some odd point about Bevell.

Latest posts