The Bears Den -- Week #14 (bye)

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

Bears Den — Week #14 (Bye)

Since this is Bears bye week, I thought I would post a thread that I just started over on the Bears forum. I titled it “The Great Poles Salary Cap Experiment”. I expect to get a lot of crap about it from people over there who think Poles is a genius. Anyway, since you guys can be more objective, I am interested in your comments. Here it is…

“According to Spotrac latest numbers, the Bears will have $117 million cap space in 2023. The average of the next 5 teams is $53 million. That is a difference of $64 million. Historically, that is a phenomenal difference. The average difference between the top team and the next 5 teams in the previous three years was only $14.7 million. So Poles is 435% above the average. He has a cap space — both in constant dollars and relative to other teams in 2023 — that has never been done before. A couple months ago, I looked at it back to year 2000. This “rebuild” (or whatever you want to call it) may be good or bad, but, in any case, its scale is unique in NFL history.”

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
What I’d do with your draft position and the wide needs is go for best available player, then distribute remaining cap across Fas who aren’t expensive…because the more speedy they are, the more they’ll rip you off sooner than later.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
What I’d do with your draft position and the wide needs is go for best available player, then distribute remaining cap across Fas who aren’t expensive…because the more speedy they are, the more they’ll rip you off sooner than later.
Well, a free agent who isn’t very expensive usually isn’t very good player, either. That’s why they are free agents and inexpensive. Poles loaded up the 2022 roster with them, and none have played well. I’m going for the best available linemen — both OL and DL — in free agency and hope to get quality upgrades at 3 positions.

But my larger point is that Poles really decimated the roster to an unprecedented degree to get the $117 million cap space. Is that a wise decision? Or would it have been better to do a more modest rebuild like the Seahawks did trading Wilson and Wagner, creating around $40-50 million cap space like others in the top-5 largest?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It makes no sense to hold onto cap that way, esp given the o line.

Like you said, Justin is running in Part because he doesn’t have one.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
It all depends on Poles plan lots of salary cap room doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing he could be resigning a fair amount of players with expiring contracts but he will be busy. I do agree with signing the tier 2 FAs and not the high priced options. You fill holes with FAs but build the team through the draft.

Is there any ideas on what kind of team Poles wants to build? ( such as team philosophy on offense and defense)

I had heard a rumor that the Bears might be interested in bringing back Vic Fangio as a DC

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It all depends on Poles plan lots of salary cap room doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing he could be resigning a fair amount of players with expiring contracts but he will be busy. I do agree with signing the tier 2 FAs and not the high priced options. You fill holes with FAs but build the team through the draft.

Is there any ideas on what kind of team Poles wants to build? ( such as team philosophy on offense and defense)

I had heard a rumor that the Bears might be interested in bringing back Vic Fangio as a DC
The problem with buying cheap free agents is that most of them just aren’t good football players. They check the box but don’t fill the need. Believe we have a team full of them that Poles brought in this season! He doesn’t have to worry about resigning anybody this year. He has the money to outbid anybody for free agents. I want to buy the best available offensive lineman, defensive lineman, and maybe LB.

With Fields we lead NFL in rushing and will again in 2023. They want big, strong receivers who can block,

Eberflus was DC for Colts before taking head coach job with Bears. He teaches and preaches HITS principle with a lot of focus on conditioning. It’s a big change. He just doesn’t have the horses yet to fully implement it.

Fangio is a good DC. I’d be happy to get him back.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Just think, da Bears are in great position to go get Russell Wilson from the Broncos.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
The problem with buying cheap free agents is that most of them just aren’t good football players. They check the box but don’t fill the need. Believe we have a team full of them that Poles brought in this season! He doesn’t have to worry about resigning anybody this year. He has the money to outbid anybody for free agents. I want to buy the best available offensive lineman, defensive lineman, and maybe LB.

With Fields we lead NFL in rushing and will again in 2023. They want big, strong receivers who can block,

Eberflus was DC for Colts before taking head coach job with Bears. He teaches and preaches HITS principle with a lot of focus on conditioning. It’s a big change. He just doesn’t have the horses yet to fully implement it.

Fangio is a good DC. I’d be happy to get him back.
By 2nd tier free agents I didn’t mean cheap but bypass the high priced ones. I have found when teams let a player go there is a reason and it is common that their ability is decreased the original team knows best. I wish I had a nickel for every tier 1 FA who didn’t live up to expectations. The DT who went from the Titans to the Redskins a while back is a good example

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Don’t be in a mind set to out bid everybody spend money wisely it will go fast especially with that much under the cap there are a lot of spots to fill

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Don’t be in a mind set to out bid everybody spend money wisely it will go fast especially with that much under the cap there are a lot of spots to fill
Bears can’t possibly fill every need in 2023. This is a 3-yr. Project the way Poles is going at it. He burned the roster to the freakin’ ground to get his $117 million cap space. I want to be selective in the players I’d go all-in for in free agency this year, but Payne is one of them and he would be expensive but worth the money. Poles is not going to sit on the cash. I don’t want any more junky free agents. Just try to buy 3-4 solid ones, and hope to get 3-4 guys out of the draft. Realistically, that’s all Bears fans should expect from him in 2023. If you haven’t gotten the impression yet, I believe the Seahawks are rebuilding in a more sensible way than the Bears.

Last edited:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I was looking at the Bears players and cap hits for 2023 they only have 2 players that have cap hits over $10 million Eddy Jackson and Cody Whitehair. How do you feel about those 2 players?

The Seahawks have $56 million in cap space for 2023 but only have 36 players under contract sounds like there will be some changes. Signing Smith to a contract will probably eat up half that space. Big question is do they resign Smith or gamble on Lock/FA/Draft choice at QB and build the rest of the team

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I was looking at the Bears players and cap hits for 2023 they only have 2 players that have cap hits over $10 million Eddy Jackson and Cody Whitehair. How do you feel about those 2 players?

The Seahawks have $56 million in cap space for 2023 but only have 36 players under contract sounds like there will be some changes. Signing Smith to a contract will probably eat up half that space. Big question is do they resign Smith or gamble on Lock/FA/Draft choice at QB and build the rest of the team

I saw a mock draft that had us taking Richardson at 20. They can still do that and get more help in the second round.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I am assuming you mean Anthony Richardson. I have seen most of his games he is great physically but is clueless upstairs. Against Utah he looked great than has games where he looks undraftable such as Florida St where he goes 9 for 27. IMO I wouldn’t draft him before the 3rd round for me he compares to Malik Willis. PC/JS may feel they can fix him and draft him earlier

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

I expect he will keep Whitehair one more year and then get rid of him. Probably the same for Jackson. Poles is ruthless when it comes to cutting veteran players in exchange for cap space, and I don’t think that will ever change.

I hope the Seahawks will sign Smith to a two-year deal, and put as much resource as possible into improving the DL and OL. Both need it.

I agree with you about Richardson. I would be shocked if they draft him. He should only be used like the Saints use Taysom Hill in a wildcat offense.

Last edited: