the Cardinals 12th man

chris98251

Reaction score
Tell me any team with the officials we have these days that are not gifted and or screwed every year now. Throw that argument out the window, does it matter? Yes it does depending on when and who it is against, but you can't pick your officials.

I think that the NFL has to do something soon, the degree of screw ups and the complexity they have added to the rule book confuses everyone.

The only way to over come it is to have a juggernaut of a team that can score and or shut down another team completely.

Or be the Patriots and simply cheat your way thru your schedule :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":359fujk3 said:
Tell me any team with the officials we have these days that are not gifted and or screwed every year now. Throw that argument out the window, does it matter? Yes it does depending on when and who it is against, but you can't pick your officials.

I think that the NFL has to do something soon, the degree of screw ups and the complexity they have added to the rule book confuses everyone.

The only way to over come it is to have a juggernaut of a team that can score and or shut down another team completely.

Or be the Patriots and simply cheat your way thru your schedule :)

Hell...Niners got screwed...but I'm happy. :) Not gonna go anywhere anyway, might as well root for draft position. :)

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Ringless-

I didn't say you suck. No need to jump to hyperbole.

Statistics rarely tell the whole story. Despite AZ winning many of the statistical battles in that game, Seattle still wins a properly officiated game. Deserving or not.

Notice I never said Seattle was WAY better than the Cards. Nor did I discredit AZ in any way. The Cards played well.

I merely noted that I am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to play the game again, especially if we meet in mid to late January :)

BTW: you are now 1 and 5 in offense and defense respectively, while Seattle ranks 8th and 4th.

Both teams top 10 in both categories......not sure I see the dominance that you see.

ringless

Reaction score
I honestly don't believe our defense deserves the credit it has.

YPG to me is one of the most worthless stats out there. The true story is our PPG and we are around middle of the league (not sure on the exact number. But I'd have to assume somewhere between 13-17 which just isn't anything special.

Our defense is statistically better this year but the eye test says otherwise. So it's capabilities are greatly over-stated. I think the DVOA ranking doesn't truly reflect what our defense really is either.

I rarely see the defense take over the game.
And to be honest I am scared of Seattle in the playoffs. They have all the talent in the world and their defense can play at an level that ours can't. Even the offense can be extremely deadly when Wilson acts more like a dual threat.

But really I'm just having fun in the thread for the most part.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2zg7emlr said:
Ringless-

I didn't say you suck. No need to jump to hyperbole.

Statistics rarely tell the whole story. Despite AZ winning many of the statistical battles in that game, Seattle still wins a properly officiated game. Deserving or not.

Notice I never said Seattle was WAY better than the Cards. Nor did I discredit AZ in any way. The Cards played well.

I merely noted that I am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to play the game again, especially if we meet in mid to late January :)

BTW: you are now 1 and 5 in offense and defense respectively, while Seattle ranks 8th and 4th.

Both teams top 10 in both categories......not sure I see the dominance that you see.
Well, they are the Tards and their one fan in the world is a bit overly excited after years of suckage and choking. We should give him a break. His username says it all. Ringless. ;)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":1phd08rj said:
Popeyejones":1phd08rj said:
Overall not a well officiated game but a lot of the things that 9ers fans are citing (e.g. T. Smith on the white and Q Dial's roughing) were totally legitimate calls.

If anything the worst officiating of the game (it taking 10 minutes for the refs to figure out which down it was, and still getting it wrong) hurt the Cardinals and not the 9ers.

:shock:

Wow, Popeye...we are usually pretty aligned in opinion...but not today.

Yeah. :lol:

I dunno. I thought the only totally egregious blown call against the 9ers was the OPI on Vance McDonald.

I totally understand Dial's point on his sack and I agree with him, but that call is unfortunately called correctly as according to how the game is officiated right now. This is nothing like the puddy neck Brees hit by Brooks a couple years back; Dial clearly and unmistakably made helmet to helmet contact despite it really being a textbook tackle.

As for T. Smith, Boone suggested that Smith got flagged not for making contact with the ref along the sideline but for something he said. I think that's pretty plausible as the contact seemed to be incredibly minimal (if present at all), but again, T. Smith isn't allowed to be standing on the white there with the play happening. It's annoying and it hurt but it was correctly called.

The other marginal call I remember was that the play clock had expired before the snap on Palmer's back foot bomb down to the one yard line. I can't get that worked up about it though, as pretty regularly in the NFL teams get an extra quarter or half second after the clock hits zero to get the snap off. Hawks fans were complaining about this in their game against the Cardinals (IIRC) but I thought they were wrong too; again, that quarter second window after zero is pretty standard in NFL officiating.

Maybe I'm missing some calls, or do we just disagree on these ones?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
b8rtm8nn":1mrpnl2c said:
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/671699157158072320

Apparently, the NFL also agrees that the officiating was poor for this game.

...Which still doesn't mean it affected the outcome of the game.

Dollars to donuts the refs got pulled because they had to stop the game for 10 minutes to figure out what down it was (and still got it wrong!), which just a total mess that was embarrassing as heck.

I know it's weird for a 9ers fan to be arguing for the refs getting right the few calls that 9ers fans are insisting they got wrong, but seriously IMO, the only major officiating embarrassment in this game hurt the Cardinals, not the 9ers.

TBF the OPI on McDonald hurt the 9ers and was a really ridiculous phantom call, but blown calls happen in every game. Not knowing which down it is IMO is a whole other animal.

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2o66uo3t said:
...Which still doesn't mean it affected the outcome of the game.

Dollars to donuts the refs got pulled because they had to stop the game for 10 minutes to figure out what down it was (and still got it wrong!), which just a total mess that was embarrassing as heck.

I know it's weird for a 9ers fan to be arguing for the refs getting right the few calls that 9ers fans are insisting they got wrong, but seriously IMO, the only major officiating embarrassment in this game hurt the Cardinals, not the 9ers.

TBF the OPI on McDonald hurt the 9ers and was a really ridiculous phantom call, but blown calls happen in every game. Not knowing which down it is IMO is a whole other animal.

I actually agree with you about pretty much everything, although I didn't like the roughing the passer penalty (more personal preference than a blown call). I think I stated elsewhere that the initial botched call unintentionally set the tone for the game, meaning not leaving a lot of confidence in the officiating (regardless of how it went past that point).

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, totally agreed about the roughing call and personal preferences too. I prefer a version of the NFL in which that doesn't get called, but in the NFL that we all watch, that's gonna get called every time.

To be totally honest about it (and I ABSOLUTELY don't think Palmer was doing this), I think we're less than 12 months off from QBs starting to duck into sacks in order to force helmet to helmet contact to get roughing calls.

Like flopping in soccer or the NBA, there's just too much incentive to not do it.

{insert doing it being a "heady play" pun here}

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ringless":2589r83a said:
The poor Cardinals lost a down on a 49ers penalty. They were pretty bad.

The irony of complaining about refs from a team that commit's PI play after play on purpose because they no it wont get called on every play is pretty funny. And the team that benefited in the Detroit game, and the fail mary game etc. It really doesnt matter. Sometimes you get the benefit. Sometimes you don't. Nobody was complaining on this board when Arizona got hosed in Pittsburgh except one or two posters that said it was very lopsided due to them being a legacy team.

The true reason of the complaints from Seattle fans is because Arizona is relevant and a threat right now. So I'll take it as a good thing.

“They look at it and say, ‘We may get called for one but not 10,'” FOX’s Mike Pereira, a former V.P. of officiating, told Clark and Clegg.

“They just seem to not care about the rules,” Giants receiver Louis Murphy said.

“If you think they’re going to be called and expect that to be the solution to the problem, you’re going to be sadly mistaken,” former Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride told Clark and Clegg. “They’ve perfected the art.”

Gilbride added that the Seahawks engage in pass interference on nearly every passing play.

Pereira said aggressive pass-coverage teams like Seattle "test" referees early in the game with a few potentially obvious pass-interference infractions. "They want to see what kind of tone the officials are going to set," he said, adding that he expects to see a couple of penalties called but also the usual brand of Seahawks grabbing.
Bringing "Baghdad Mike" into you're argument loses any credibility it may have otherwise had.

Dude, I complained when the cards were playing the stealers in the Super Bowl, it was "XL* lite".
Imho you are getting a wee bit sensitive about the cards getting breaks from the zebras, shrug it off and move on, enjoy the ride your team is on. :)

Rex

Reaction score
Dude needs to lighten up with his team firmly in the drivers seat for this division. Unless deep down his spidey sense knows......dreads......the inevitable. As GW burns the midnight oil..... 'Ol Wobbly Jowls tosses and turns.......and what remains of the Rams D line prepares to leave their mark on the 2015 season. :3:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1r10e3gc said:
^^^ Yeah, totally agreed about the roughing call and personal preferences too. I prefer a version of the NFL in which that doesn't get called, but in the NFL that we all watch, that's gonna get called every time.

To be totally honest about it (and I ABSOLUTELY don't think Palmer was doing this), I think we're less than 12 months off from QBs starting to duck into sacks in order to force helmet to helmet contact to get roughing calls.

Like flopping in soccer or the NBA, there's just too much incentive to not do it.

you think an NFL QB is going to stick his head into a sack to try and gain a penalty?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ax7fu8u said:
Popeyejones":3ax7fu8u said:

you think an NFL QB is going to stick his head into a sack to try and gain a penalty?
If he has been drinking his nanobubbles, then yes.

Rex

Reaction score
Uncle Si":19v3wwl3 said:
Popeyejones":19v3wwl3 said:

I wouldn't discount it. The rules involving the QB are ridiculously one sided.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ynep62x said:
Popeyejones":2ynep62x said:

Um, yes.

Absolutely.

There's simply too much incentive to not do it.

Think of it as the NFL equivalent of intentionally stepping into the lane to take a charge in the NBA, which is what, probably 80% of all charges?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think the incentive is to not put your head into very large men trying to rip it off...QBs make millions, and I dont think a 15 yard penalty is worth the risk.

Now.. i could see QBs mimicking getting hit why whirling their heads around or actual flopping.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2up05dyq said:
Uncle Si":2up05dyq said:
Popeyejones":2up05dyq said:

Um, yes.

Absolutely.

There's simply too much incentive to not do it.

Think of it as the NFL equivalent of intentionally stepping into the lane to take a charge in the NBA, which is what, probably 80% of all charges?

A lot of guys in the NBA don't do that anymore, i.e. the most highly paid, because of the risk of injury from taking a charge. Lowering the head is similar but with an even heightened risk of debilitating injury to the head, neck, and spine. That is why hitting the QB in the head is illegal in the first place. I can't imagine any NFL QB making that risk-reward decision.

Seattle49er

Reaction score
I'm not saying the officiating would have changed the outcome of this game or any of the other controversial games this season. I do feel it would have been nice to see the outcome without the zebra screw ups.

The SF vs AZ game was really close all game, our D held AZ a lot better than I expected, but you can only do so much. I mean whether legit or not, when you're given what, 9 tries from the 5 yrd line, c'mon they basically got walked AZ into the endzone. On the long scoring drive, how many first downs did they get based on penalties? 13 Penalties and 81 yrds I say it changed the outcome of this game. And now the officiating crew is being disciplined, makes you wonder.

I think its time for full time refs, refs that train year round, are penalized just like players for screw ups. I think if being a ref is your only job and you could possibly lose it with no job to fall back on, like most of us I think they'd be more likely to do a better job and make it a priority.

Just my .02

Latest posts