The case for Joe Philbin

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":39fefcw8 said:
Hawks46":39fefcw8 said:
Siouxhawk":39fefcw8 said:
Two things -- I have no idea what that link to the Favre/Bevell angle proves. Favre was a meathead who cost the Vikings a chance to go to the Super Bowl because of his poor decision to throw across his body into double coverage. If he would've taken the open man (Bernard Berrian), which was drawn up by Bevell, the Vikes would have been in FG range for the decisive points in the fourth quarter.
Also, I really doubt Philbin would be ready to move on. I believe he had at least another year on his contract with the Fins and you realize those contracts are constructed so that if he takes another NFL job, he forfeits whatever his new contract is from what the Dolphins need to pay him. I think he'd likely rather just sit on the beach, as he's being paid either way.

You do realize that the reason this discussion started is that the Dolphins fired Philbin 3 weeks ago and Campbell has been coaching that team ?
No, he's too busy looking for every post on these boards that is in the least bit negative toward Bevell so he can defend him. Doesn't leave much time for actually knowing anything else about the rest of the NFL.

Chris Collinsworth, Greg Cosell, Brock Huard, Tyrone Mathieu, et. al. are not wrong about Bevell.
You make as many negative posts about Bevell as I make positive, so you must not be too up to date of the ongoings in the NFL either.

Boycie

Reaction score
HawkFan72":148eb7bp said:
Ace_Rimmer":148eb7bp said:
Cable needs to go because he can't develop linemen? I think he has done a pretty good job with what he has been given. Look at what he has had to work with this year. I don't think Cable is the problem. I think the O-line problems are on JS, and PC because they chose to not address those issues in the drftt or free agency. We lost Carp, and Breno, and they were better than what we have there now. I know the cap had something to do with it, but we you can't blame Cable for that.

Cable has a huge hand in hand picking his linemen in the draft. Part of the reason we have all these late round projects is because Cable has said he prefers to take a raw guy and train him up from scratch rather than inherit an established lineman that has bad habits. So part of the problem is Cable's philosophy for building the O-line when he picks his players in the draft.

He's not just handed those guys by Pete and John and told to "work with what we give you." He has the guys he wanted.

Good point, but do we know that he has any choice but to accept later round picks? I can't see Cable in the War Room saying "it's ok boys, leave me with scraps, because I can make anyone into a decent Lineman" I will admit that Cable does need to get some heat here because of some of his picks, but JS, and PC have overlooked the importance of having a serviceable line. This year has been an absolute joke. And from listening to Clayton on 710, this is an epidemic in the league, not just in Seattle.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If a change is made, then it will be made during the offseason. This is not the time to make a change. The Ravens got lucky that they had Jim Caldwell in the fold before firing Cam Cameron. That's not the norm and the Seahawks don't have that luxury with their staff right now. The current Seahawks are a play or two away from each of those losses in winning those games and the record would be 8-1. If one drive per game that resulted in FG would have been a touchdown instead, they would have beaten the Rams, Cincy, and the Panthers. If they wouldn't have made those defensive errors against the Cards, they probably would have won that game too. Hopefully these things are what they are working on this week. There's still opportunity to turn this around and trend upward.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1qdtyfp9 said:
Hawks46":1qdtyfp9 said:
Siouxhawk":1qdtyfp9 said:
Two things -- I have no idea what that link to the Favre/Bevell angle proves. Favre was a meathead who cost the Vikings a chance to go to the Super Bowl because of his poor decision to throw across his body into double coverage. If he would've taken the open man (Bernard Berrian), which was drawn up by Bevell, the Vikes would have been in FG range for the decisive points in the fourth quarter.
Also, I really doubt Philbin would be ready to move on. I believe he had at least another year on his contract with the Fins and you realize those contracts are constructed so that if he takes another NFL job, he forfeits whatever his new contract is from what the Dolphins need to pay him. I think he'd likely rather just sit on the beach, as he's being paid either way.

You do realize that the reason this discussion started is that the Dolphins fired Philbin 3 weeks ago and Campbell has been coaching that team ?
No, he's too busy looking for every post on these boards that is in the least bit negative toward Bevell so he can defend him. Doesn't leave much time for actually knowing anything else about the rest of the NFL.

Chris Collinsworth, Greg Cosell, Brock Huard, Tyrone Mathieu, et. al. are not wrong about Bevell.
Yeah, I'll chose to believe a member of our own wide receiving corps that Bevell is not to blame and there are "plays open all over the field." --- Doug Baldwin.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":35ee2vmt said:
If you watched that Saints/Vikes game I don't know how you didn't see Favre was lucky to even be playing by the fourth quarter.I never saw a QB survive so many brutal late hits and the zebras let it happen.That pass you mention,he couldn't plant his foot to throw normal.That ankle was already a mess by then.It took all that to kill the "Ironman" off.To the topic at hand.I want no part of anyone whos coached the Dolphins.There has to be better out there.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":z6u744p4 said:
HawkFan72":z6u744p4 said:
Ace_Rimmer":z6u744p4 said:
Cable needs to go because he can't develop linemen? I think he has done a pretty good job with what he has been given. Look at what he has had to work with this year. I don't think Cable is the problem. I think the O-line problems are on JS, and PC because they chose to not address those issues in the drftt or free agency. We lost Carp, and Breno, and they were better than what we have there now. I know the cap had something to do with it, but we you can't blame Cable for that.

Cable has a huge hand in hand picking his linemen in the draft. Part of the reason we have all these late round projects is because Cable has said he prefers to take a raw guy and train him up from scratch rather than inherit an established lineman that has bad habits. So part of the problem is Cable's philosophy for building the O-line when he picks his players in the draft.

He's not just handed those guys by Pete and John and told to "work with what we give you." He has the guys he wanted.

Good point, but do we know that he has any choice but to accept later round picks? I can't see Cable in the War Room saying "it's ok boys, leave me with scraps, because I can make anyone into a decent Lineman" I will admit that Cable does need to get some heat here because of some of his picks, but JS, and PC have overlooked the importance of having a serviceable line. This year has been an absolute joke. And from listening to Clayton on 710, this is an epidemic in the league, not just in Seattle.

The beat reporters have hinted that Cable, as with any position coach, is banging the table trying to get the players he likes early. It's circumstances that lead to the late rd conversion projects. I find it entirely believable that he likes the athletic d-lineman in the later rds, but wouldn't fool myself that he would take top talent early rd d-lineman and convert them.

I think draft failures of O-Lineman early (Carpenter, Moffitt), coaching up serviceable vets (McQuiston, Giacomini), and conversion projects (Sweezy) are the foundation of our current O-Line's makeup. But right now we are seeing what happens when that approach doesn't work out.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":54m5p51r said:
hawksfansinceday1":54m5p51r said:
Hawks46":54m5p51r said:
Siouxhawk":54m5p51r said:

Yeah, I'll chose to believe a member of our own wide receiving corps that Bevell is not to blame and there are "plays open all over the field." --- Doug Baldwin.

I am by no means a fan of Bevell. But i think it's absurd to expect much production with so many offensive penalties and sub-par O-Line play.

Seymour

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2ehlgwtk said:

Yes we do know he has a say.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-...72/seahawks-run-game-pass-pro-sacks-tom-cable

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seymour":30htxmqw said:
Ace_Rimmer":30htxmqw said:

Yes we do know he has a say.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-...72/seahawks-run-game-pass-pro-sacks-tom-cable

Thanks for sharing the link. I believe Cable gets way too much credit for Seattle's run game success. Yes, he's part of it but Lynch and Wilson are most of it. He felt Mike Person wasn't a fit here and so they let him go. He's the starting center on the Falcons. Devonte Freeman is having a great year running behind the Falcon OL. Person is the guy making the line calls there. Another one of Cable's misses....have too many of those haunting the Seahawks.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1770hjz9 said:
And if fans from the stands can see that Bevell is forgetting to install hot routes in his 3rd and long formations, then yes, I think someone else can do a better job.

Not Philbin, though.

Thanks for responding. I check out your 17 power blog to see if you post new stuff. What are your thoughts on Philbin?

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
IndyHawk":34dtjljg said:
To the topic at hand.I want no part of anyone whos coached the Dolphins.There has to be better out there.

The Philbin is more of a Green Bay man then a Miami man. Don't get me wrong he is not the type of guy who controls a room when he walks in. But a coach that is up in the booth watching every thing and adjusting and coaching up linemen? Philbin I think could fix many things.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Basis4day":1qutvfmu said:
So you don't think Tannehill switching O-Coordinators, playbooks, and his best statistical season in his third year had anything to do with Bill Lazor?

Yes I do. I think Philbin identified a problem and was quick to fix it.