The "emphasis" on illegal contact is going to make us...

warden

Reaction score
The pussification of the game continues

Next will be a defender can't be with in 5 yards of the WR because he might prevent that WR from catching the ball and screw up someones fantasy football team

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I've been watching several preseason games these first few weeks and these absurdly soft ticky-tack calls have been called in every game. Simon's was probably the worst of the bunch though. I'm not the only one that noticed..

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/500495759201300480[/tweet]

The NFL better pull in the reins on these calls or you're going to see a HUGE uproar about it.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Eh, it'll just allow refs to call the ticky-tack calls against our DBs and still make the claim they're legitimate calls, while not calling them at times when a "real" team really needs them not to and be applauded for "making the right non-call."

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
How ironic would it be though if the Seahawks beat the Packers opening night, after extending a last second drive thanks to a phantom illegal contact call?

Aaron Rodgers could very well spontaneously combust if that happened.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2n2rg5v1 said:
How ironic would it be though if the Seahawks beat the Packers opening night, after extending a last second drive thanks to a phantom illegal contact call?

Aaron Rodgers could very well spontaneously combust if that happened.

That would be delightful, but the game is never going to be in doubt. :twisted:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
tooshort":2kw8ze4n said:
I sit in section 124 fourth row (right behind where this happened) and it was correctly called.

From my vantage point it was an obvious grab and hold at the waist for a split second allowing a transfer of weight to the left shoulder and the subsequent pick.

As much as most 12s in the area hated to say it, we begrudgingly saw it the refs way.. :pukeface:
I am a 124 guy myself, but back a ways from you in LL.. love that corner man. Seahawks side, Tunnel...best seat in the house for "The Tip".

For as much as everyone thinks the penalty will hurt the Hawks, I think they are adjusting well and even benefitting from it on our own side.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2gmtsryf said:
They will realize how dumb this all is and come regular season it's not getting called as much.
I hope so. I think it's going to take the perception of one of the "Legacy teams" losing a game because of these new bogus flags to end it. Much like the perception of the "wail Mary" screwed over GB because of replacement officials.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3sqgpbro said:
SeatownJay":3sqgpbro said:
What it's going to lead to is coaches telling their wide receivers to run into the DBs to cause contact and draw a flag.

You mean just like Baldwin did on his Illegal contact penalty in the end zone?
Yes, that was a bogus flag for Seattle, there should have been no flag on that play.

nanomoz

Reaction score
LOS was the 6.5 yard line, maybe even 7 yard line.

Tical21

Reaction score
I still think this impacts us less than it does everybody else. Our DB's have already been watched with a really close eye every minute of every game because the opposing coaches complain about our technique so much. Now, everybody else's will be too. Just levels the playing field.

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":2hseqcmn said:
Obviously we need a wider shot, but I am thinking that Simon doesn't even lay a hand on the guy until the ball is in the air. Two thoughts. First, it just looks like it shouldn't be legal. The interpretation of the rule could certainly support the argument that it is a bad call. But it just doesn't look right.

Second, and this is usually a downfield PI argument, but Simon doesn't need to do it. If he never touches the guy, that ball gets thrown into Simon's lap for a touchdown. Is that what the refs are going for?

The way I see it, it was within five yards or at least close enough to be given the benefit of the doubt. I never played WR but I did play OL, and I can tell you that lineman know they can go about 2-3 yards downfield before they get called for illegal man downfield. Can you imagine if they called that penalty to the letter of the law? You'd have an illegal man downfield every third or fourth pass. Some lineman would whiff on a cut block and be a foot past the LoS, or the DL would chuck him past the line, etc. The refs afford a "cushion" on rules like that for a reason.

I assume the 5 yard rule is the same way. 5 yards probably means more like 7 yards in terms of actual enforcement so as to avoid bad calls. At least until now.

Regarding the contact, I didn't see a hold and I didn't see the WR appear to be diverted. Simon just kind of put his hand up to keep his bearings. Like you said, Simon is watching the QB, and you can't watch the WR and the QB at the same time hence the hand to "feel" where the WR is going. If they make basic "touching" illegal I would say that is incredibly unfair to DBs.

Not really sure what Simon can learn there. If he doesn't have a hand on the WR but still wants to spy the QB, he risks losing track of the WR and giving up a TD. He's basically just using his sense of sight and sense of touch in tandem to track two players simultaneously. Nothing illegal about it, IMO.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Horrific call. Pretty soon they will not allow contact at all, even w/in 5 yards. That was a damn good play, and a flat out pick 6. I guarantee the coaches told him to not change a thing.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":96xvuxnb said:
........ I never played WR but I did play OL, and I can tell you that lineman know they can go about 2-3 yards downfield before they get called for illegal man downfield..............
Unless you play for the Stealers in XL* and then you can be 8 yards downfield and still not get called.

Considering the outcry over the ticky tacky nature of the calls thus far on this "point of emphasis", we will see them begin to curtail this coming weekend and won't have to wait for the regular season for the calls to be more typical.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Fans of other teams were howling about how the Cheathawks were getting away with mugging receivers. Many were applauding the new emphasis on IC and PI until they discovered that their own team's DBs were also using their hands beyond five yards and their team is going to get penalized too. Now they're crying about all the flags.

Screw 'em. I think the Hawks' defenders will adapt quicker than most to the officiating.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure why people think the new "emphasis" is only going to be bad for us.

We were already the most penalized team in the league last year, and we won the SB. This is bad for the ENTIRE league, not just us.

In fact if any team has the defensive back talent to overcome the new rules, it's us. Is there a team with more emphasis on technique and preparation?

The teams that are going to suffer the most are the teams with weak DB's that need to handcheck and hold more because they're constantly getting beat.