The "emphasis" on illegal contact is going to make us...

ivotuk

Reaction score
Look at how quickly that flag is out though. It enters the screen awfully early. So at what point did the referee make the determination that it was a penalty, then reach for and throw his flag?

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
@DavisHsuSeattle: NFL came back and said Tharold Simon and Phil Adams was NOT a penalty- per Pete Carroll.

Pick-6 gets overturned on a bad call and all the league does is offer up a "whoopsie-daisy." Figures....

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Pete said on Brock and Salk that the Simon play was not a penalty and that the 3rd down Rivers (Where BMax was "dancing" with Allen) was pissed about was.

Sgt. Largent":3p4dbl5s said:
Not sure why people think the new "emphasis" is only going to be bad for us.

We were already the most penalized team in the league last year, and we won the SB. This is bad for the ENTIRE league, not just us.

In fact if any team has the defensive back talent to overcome the new rules, it's us. Is there a team with more emphasis on technique and preparation?

The teams that are going to suffer the most are the teams with weak DB's that need to handcheck and hold more because they're constantly getting beat.

As for this, in an ideal world I would agree with you. But I just can't believe officials are not swayed by preconception. If they are officiating a game where there is no media coverage on the secondary, they will be less inclined to focus on it. Moreover, there probably isn't going to be any media outcry if they don't call PI or illegal contact as much.

But I find it really hard to believe that when Seattle comes to town and the media and coaches are talking about the Legion of Boom and the new rules they aren't going to be more dialed in. And if preseason is anything to go on, it's throw the flag if you are even slightly inclinded to believe the DB held. Pete seemed concerned in his post-game press conference and again this morning on 710 and for good reason. That doesn't mean he won't adapt, but Seattle is going to have to be much more careful than other teams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yxes1122":2t7z1fju said:
But I find it really hard to believe that when Seattle comes to town and the media and coaches are talking about the Legion of Boom and the new rules they aren't going to be more dialed in. And if preseason is anything to go on, it's throw the flag if you are even slightly inclinded to believe the DB held. Pete seemed concerned in his post-game press conference and again this morning on 710 and for good reason. That doesn't mean he won't adapt, but Seattle is going to have to be much more careful than other teams.

Don't buy into the media hype, the refs don't give a crap about preconceived reputations, they care about following the new rules.

Simon did handcheck and disturb the WR's ability to catch the pass, so he was flagged. On the other hand Brandon Flowers didn't do anything to Baldwin, and he got called as well because of contact prior to the ball arriving.

The league office has a decision to make in regards to the new emphasis rule;

1. Do they want to reconsider their hardline stance on handchecking and contact downfield in lieu of doubling penalties per game?

2. Or do they want to go through 1-2 years of uglying up the game FORCING teams and defensive players to not touch receivers which will result in 60-45 games with tons of offense?

My hope is it's the former. Leave the high scoring crazy football to the CFL and the MAC conference, the large majority of football fans like defense, not high scoring TD-fests.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Terry Blount ‏@TerryBlountESPN 52m

Pete Carroll said the league office told him CB Tharold Simon shouldn't have been flagged on the INT and 103-yard TD return.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":30es4mwn said:

So the committee told the officiating department to emphasize two defensive penalties—defensive holding (grabbing jerseys and arms to throw receivers off course) and illegal contact more than five yards beyond the line—the kind of purposeful bumping beyond incidental contact that’s become a regular part of pass defense.

From the same article. I'll reserve judgement until regular season games become flag fests that grind to a near halt. All this seems is what has already been said, no new rules, just enforcement of current rules.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":wlul7ugj said:

We'll see what the league office says when games last 4 1/2 hours because of all the penalties and time stoppage.

If Goodell wants to grow the game, I don't see how this is a good way to do it. Makes no sense to me. Other countries already hate football because of all the time stoppage and commercials.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Quite simply this is the NFL's way of doing all it can to give Peyton Manning one last shot at winning a Superbowl before he retires.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Don't forget, Jeff Fisher is on the Competition Committee and they are the ones that make these rules.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3qbxsodv said:
From the same article. I'll reserve judgement until regular season games become flag fests that grind to a near halt. All this seems is what has already been said, no new rules, just enforcement of current rules.
Actually, a rule was modified. Jersey grabbing/pulling was allowed further than five yards down the field as long as it didn't impede the movement of the receiver or their arms/ability to catch the ball.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":98djfhud said:
OkieHawk":98djfhud said:
Actually, a rule was modified. Jersey grabbing/pulling was allowed further than five yards down the field as long as it didn't impede the movement of the receiver or their arms/ability to catch the ball.

Good to know, thanks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":39pf1xeg said:
OkieHawk":39pf1xeg said:
I haven't really seen us grabbing or pulling jerseys anyway. Who this is really going to hurt are teams with weak secondary's like Kansas City, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Dallas etc.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3q66yz9y said:
RolandDeschain":3q66yz9y said:
OkieHawk":3q66yz9y said:
I haven't really seen us grabbing or pulling jerseys anyway. Who this is really going to hurt are teams with weak secondary's like Kansas City, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Dallas etc.
You haven't?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":288ho3e2 said:
MizzouHawkGal":288ho3e2 said:
RolandDeschain":288ho3e2 said:
OkieHawk":288ho3e2 said:
You haven't?
I see handchecking but not outright pulling of jerseys. Now if they eliminate hand checking everybody is in trouble and the NFL will be nothing but ALF/CFL type football. Problem I'm seeing is that the officials still seem to be allowing hand checking and not calling enough OPI.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3rpkkcrf said:
MizzouHawkGal":3rpkkcrf said:
You haven't?
If she means in the "past the point of what the rules allow" sense, then I agree. I haven't seen much of that from our guys. If she means it in the "pulling or tugging whatsoever even within the rules as they were last year" sense, then she's smokin' crack and needs to lay off that ish because our guys do it a lot and are good at it, and it's probably the single biggest thing that makes the legions of ignorant enemy fans out there think our DBs "cheat" when they simply never knew what was allowed within the rules in the first place. :)

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2ovdqm6l said:
@DavisHsuSeattle: NFL came back and said Tharold Simon and Phil Adams was NOT a penalty- per Pete Carroll.

Pick-6 gets overturned on a bad call and all the league does is offer up a "whoopsie-daisy." Figures....

Prediction: This will happen week after week.

"Oooooops that penalty that disallowed an interception and continued a touchdown drive for the opposition was false.. my bad!"

What a joke. Goodell is ruining the game one year at a time.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1faprk02 said:
Tech Worlds":1faprk02 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1faprk02 said:
You haven't?
If she means in the "past the point of what the rules allow" sense, then I agree. I haven't seen much of that from our guys. If she means it in the "pulling or tugging whatsoever even within the rules as they were last year" sense, then she's smokin' crack and needs to lay off that ish because our guys do it a lot and are good at it, and it's probably the single biggest thing that makes the legions of ignorant enemy fans out there think our DBs "cheat" when they simply never knew what was allowed within the rules in the first place. :)
This would be it. I am not certain what is allowed at this point and I haven't seen us really ramp it up yet. And most the fouls I have seen called (other teams) have been very ticky-tack (nobody really pulling jerseys) or just obvious like not turning your head.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Things could have been worse because Jeff Fisher probably wants his superior DLine to outweigh a superior Defensive Backfield

From March 19:

12. Modify pass interference so that it can be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... proposals/

Members
Chairman: Rich McKay (Atlanta Falcons)
- Jeff Fisher (St. Louis Rams)
- Stephen Jones (Dallas Cowboys)
- Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati Bengals)
- John Mara (New York Giants)
- Mark Murphy (Green Bay Packers)
- Ozzie Newsome (Baltimore Ravens)
- Rick Smith (Houston Texans)
- Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_competition_committee