The Fickleness of the NFL Playoffs.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2vxvl3nm said:
Lefthandsmoke posted this another thread...

Amazing stat

---
@FieldGulls
Since 2012, NE has allowed 2nd-fewest points. 302 pts separate them from 21st-fewest pts allowed. Seahawks have allowed 303 pts LESS than NE
---

And someone else (was it Largent?) posted the opinion that if the Hawks D can lead the league in PPG for a FIFTH STRAIGHT YEAR then that is plenty enough to be thrilled about. Having chewed on it, that tastes good to me too and I wholeheartedly agree with posts above that consistently achieving SB's is WAY unrealistic.

Can anyone post team stats for most Division Championships since 2012? That's a decent show of consistent program excellence, whoever those top teams are.

edit: The Hawks look on track to win the NFC West for the 3rd time in the past 5 seasons.

'12 9ers
'13 Hawks
'14 Hawks
'15 Cards
'16 Go Hawks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":16wn7rjz said:

Amazing stat

---
@FieldGulls
Since 2012, NE has allowed 2nd-fewest points. 302 pts separate them from 21st-fewest pts allowed. Seahawks have allowed 303 pts LESS than NE
---

Right, and I'd venture to guess our offense has scored 300 pts less than the Patriot's offense in the same time frame.

Damn you Bevell!!!

SeaChat

Reaction score
What is being discussed in this thread today is why I shake my head in disbelief when I hear people calling for coaches heads, and players resignations, when we have a bad day on either the defense or the offense, or both for that matter.

I have been a die hard fan of the Seahawks, since before they even had a name picked out for them. If you think the play that we have witnessed on any given game day over the past 5 years, no matter how terrible you think we might have performed. I can think of 35 years of games, where those were there were a lot worse and a lot more often than most might imagine.

It wasn't easy being a Seahawk fan, year after year of frustration and disappointments. I think that we have gotten really spoiled the past five years, making it to the playoffs is almost a given, so is making it to the Divisional Championships, and we are almost ready to fire everyone if we don't make it to the Super Bowl.

Hell I was in tears the first time we made it to the Super Bowl and won, I, honest to God, thought I was going to go to my grave, never having see the Seattle Seahawks win a Super Bowl, much less ever make it again.

I have never been happier than I have been with Pete Carol and his band of coaches. It has really been something to see the Seahawks do as well as they have, and as they continue to do under this guidance.

I hate to even imagine the prospect of Pete retiring, I think he has football in his blood and is happiest out on the field with his boys. Unless that changes, and his health allows, I don't think he will be going anywhere for a long time to come. We do keep loosing his coaches, because he does such a great job of mentoring them up under his tutelage and other teams keep offerning them ungodly amounts of money to leave us and bring the magic they do with our players to their teams.

When I hear people screaming for Bevell's head I don't know that they think we are going to find that is any better, and worse yet, I don't want to think about trying to figure out how to beat whatever team he signed with, and you can bet your last dollar the list of teams waiting for that mistake to be made is long.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pacific101":1pqappwx said:
When I hear people screaming for Bevell's head I don't know that they think we are going to find that is any better, and worse yet, I don't want to think about trying to figure out how to beat whatever team he signed with, and you can bet your last dollar the list of teams waiting for that mistake to be made is long.

Fans react simplistically and emotionally, that's why Bevell's the forum's favorite whipping boy.

There's a reason not one media person or football analyst locally or nationally agrees with the "fire Bevell" hate. Because they're smart and use logic and reason to dissect our offensive issues when we lose. RB issues, Russell's injuries, horrible O-line play, etc.

But that requires a separation from emotion. Much easier to rage on Bevell and simplify it as poor playcalling.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11vv1wz6 said:
pacific101":11vv1wz6 said:

Fans react simplistically and emotionally, that's why Bevell's the forum's favorite whipping boy.

There's a reason not one media person or football analyst locally or nationally agrees with the "fire Bevell" hate. Because they're smart and use logic and reason to dissect our offensive issues when we lose. RB issues, Russell's injuries, horrible O-line play, etc.

But that requires a separation from emotion. Much easier to rage on Bevell and simplify it as poor playcalling.

That is awfully dismissive of other people's opinion. Media pundits that watch highlights and parts of games may have a different perspective than those that watch every Seahawks game and replay them.

I think we all agree that PC knows a LOT more about football than most of us. Doesn't mean he was right when they cut Pope and kept AC. Most people here were surprised and disagreed. So were they wrong just because those smarter about football made the decision or did they happen to be right and yet know less?

There is no way anyone will ever be able to justify the formation to end the superbowl. There is no way anyone will ever be able to defend the gameplan against the Panthers to end last season. After changing how we played for the second half we went back to a failed gameplan hoping to have ball control. It was a very bad mistake.

Doesn't mean Bevell isn't good but he is a part of some really bad decision making. Question is what would replace him

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":yc4nom8z said:
Sgt. Largent":yc4nom8z said:
pacific101":yc4nom8z said:

That is awfully dismissive of other people's opinion. Media pundits that watch highlights and parts of games may have a different perspective than those that watch every Seahawks game and replay them.

I dismiss it because I trust the smart people. I don't know anymore about football than you or anyone else on this forum.

That's why I watch and listen to an unhealthy amount of analysis about the sport, and particularly the Hawks.

Of course everyone's entitled to their opinions, but when literally NO ONE SMART ABOUT FOOTBALL agrees with the Bevell haters, I dismiss...........and so should you.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkGA":l6av9vbk said:
ivotuk":l6av9vbk said:
And on the verge of being the #1 Scoring Defense for a FIFTH straight year! I don't think people realize how Epic that is, but we will look back at this as the Golden Era of the Seahawks.

And from here on out, every defense will be compared to "The Seahawks Defense of the 201x decade."

I'll have to admit, early on I was sceptical, but Pete really is capable of "Winning Forever" (within reason).

Honestly I cheer for that about as much as I cheer for the actual win.

Same. I want this so they can be looked at as the best defense ever.

You can make statistical claims for other squads for individual years, but not over this span of time.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3e2pjr0r said:
Uncle Si":3e2pjr0r said:

Amazing stat

---
@FieldGulls
---

Right, and I'd venture to guess our offense has scored 300 pts less than the Patriot's offense in the same time frame.

Damn you Bevell!!!

http://pfref.com/tiny/O5stJ

343 to be exact.

If you use the "compare" field in that search form, you can do some interesting comparisons. For example, that NE offense is 2nd in 1st downs by penalty whereas Seattle is 30th or 31st. Wonder how many points came off of those. Or, Seattle is top 5 in scoring since 2012 after 2 and 3 quarters but 12th in the 1st quarter; NWE is 2nd, 1st and 1st. I wonder where we'd bee in that overall points category if we scored in the 1st quarter like we do in the other three.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Laloosh":1nz08i7v said:
Sgt. Largent":1nz08i7v said:
Uncle Si":1nz08i7v said:

Amazing stat

---
@FieldGulls
---

Damn you Bevell!!!

343 to be exact.

If you use the "compare" field in that search form, you can do some interesting comparisons. For example, that NE offense is 2nd in 1st downs by penalty whereas Seattle is 30th or 31st. Wonder how many points came off of those. Or, Seattle is top 5 in scoring since 2012 after 2 and 3 quarters but 12th in the 1st quarter; NWE is 2nd, 1st and 1st. I wonder where we'd bee in that overall points category if we scored in the 1st quarter like we do in the other three.
'Amazing' stats, good one. The 'by penalty' one is more like 'Astounding.'

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
sutz":1usks9xe said:
Sgt. Largent":1usks9xe said:
Maulbert":1usks9xe said:
This is why I don't get angry and scream that heads should roll if we struggle a little. I would have killed for this kind of consistency in the AFC West days. We're on the verge of our second 5 year streak of playoff appearances, both in the last 14 years. God, it's a great time to be a Hawks fan!

Pete Caroll has spoiled us.

I remember those days in the 80's and 90's looking at the standings with my dad going "OMG IF WE CAN JUST WIN OUT AND THE 4-10 BUNGLES BEAT THE 13-1 STEELERS WE MIGHT FINISH 9-7 AND GET A WILDCARD SPOT, HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE!!"
FIFY ;)

So much this. Or going the last quarter of the season hoping for an improbable win and rooting for about half a dozen other improbable wins just to keep postseason hopes alive.

Someone with more time on their hands should really try to track down some of those season highlight or recap videos, post them here, and really show some perspective.

Consistent winning records? Perennial playoff favorites? Hall of Fame caliber players at multiple positions? Up three games in the division with a handful left to play this year? We have it GOOD, folks!

Optimus25

Reaction score
I was just thinking of how awesome the last 5 years have been. But that doesn't stop me from getting irritated when we do things like run on critical short yardage situations with tukuafu, or have a gifted series at the opponent ten yd Line and not even remotely target Jimmy. Sometimes i just feel our successes are either harder than they should have been or our potential not fully realized, and it's usually related to common sense stuff. I mean Sean peyton has got to be rolling on the floor laughing every time we bunch Jimmy or put him at the end of the line and then post game talk about how we were trying to target him in the RZ but they were doubling. If getting someone isolated near the end zone were that difficult gronks stat line the past five years would not be so insane. Same with Jimmys in NO.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sometimes it is good to take a step back and realize how lucky we are. There are two things that I am very thankful for with this team:

1. We have a franchise QB. Do you know how frustrating it is for teams and fan bases who are searching for a franchise QB. Can you imagine being a fan of a team led by Jay Cutler or Ryan Tannehill? You basically know your season is over before it even starts. We had to go through Tavaris Jackson for one year. Can you imagine going through that for multiple years?

2. We have a great defense. It's so hard to play defense in today's game, not to mention excel at it. We have had the best defense for the past few years. As a fan, there is nothing more frustrating than a really bad defense.

cymatica

Reaction score
Laloosh":2fpnepnm said:
Sgt. Largent":2fpnepnm said:
Uncle Si":2fpnepnm said:

Amazing stat

---
@FieldGulls
---

Damn you Bevell!!!

343 to be exact.

I wonder how many of those 1st downs by penalty resulted from touching Brady

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Just for perspective, not only is being #1 scoring defense 4 years in a row (and possibly 5) an absolutely amazing achievement in NFL history, but this is the first time ever the Seahawks have been #1 in scoring defense. Closest we ever got previously was #5 in the Patera and Knox days.

Carroll's first year here was the team's 3rd year in a row at #25 scoring defense. The very next year, we were #7. Since then? #1. With 3 different defensive coordinators.

Carroll is severely underrated as an NFL coach.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1w622qud said:
Maulbert":1w622qud said:
This is why I don't get angry and scream that heads should roll if we struggle a little. I would have killed for this kind of consistency in the AFC West days. We're on the verge of our second 5 year streak of playoff appearances, both in the last 14 years. God, it's a great time to be a Hawks fan!

Pete Caroll has spoiled us.

I remember those days in the 80's and 90's looking at the standings with my dad going "OMG IF WE CAN JUST WIN OUT WE MIGHT FINISH 9-7 AND GET A WILDCARD SPOT, HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE!!"

I remember looking at 10+ win teams in those days and wondering how they managed it. 10 wins? Out of the question. The season isn't long enough. Once you've lost to Denver twice and probably the Chiefs twice, the Raiders will always take one game off you and that's before you get out of the division.

Also, I can distinctly remember Madden commentating on a Reggie White-era Eagles game, saying "If these guys don't want you to run on them, you're not gonna run" It stuck with me as I dreamed for a Seahawks D to be that effective.

5 years straight. Unbelievable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Laloosh":3fsue07y said:
Sgt. Largent":3fsue07y said:
Uncle Si":3fsue07y said:

Amazing stat

---
@FieldGulls
---

Damn you Bevell!!!

343 to be exact.

Pete's always been a feel coach, he wants to see how the game is unfolding before taking risks. Hard to argue his philosophy, it's led to playoffs and SB's.

That's my point, in the NFL you pick your strengths. NE HAS to score 30-40 points every game because they've dedicated the majority of their resources to that side of the ball.

On the flip side, in our defense we trust to keep the score low, pound the rock and let Russell make explosive plays.

Also why it's such a head scratcher to disrupt that continuity on offense by firing coordinators. When healthy, Pete, Russell, Bevell and the offense is as dangerous as any offense in the league, and plays right into the protect the ball and trust our D philosophy of Pete.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":20o7pvq5 said:
Just for perspective, not only is being #1 scoring defense 4 years in a row (and possibly 5) an absolutely amazing achievement in NFL history, but this is the first time ever the Seahawks have been #1 in scoring defense. Closest we ever got previously was #5 in the Patera and Knox days.

Carroll's first year here was the team's 3rd year in a row at #25 scoring defense. The very next year, we were #7. Since then? #1. With 3 different defensive coordinators.

I wouldn't say Carroll is underrated. Not anymore, anyway. When we hired him, absolutely. But only 3 weeks ago, this article ran on SI.com:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/11/14/nfl-week-10-seahawks-patriots-rivalry-bill-belichick-pete-carroll

And this is no faint praise:

When it comes to today’s NFL, Carroll-Belichick is like a lush oasis after slogging miles through the dry desert that is the rest of the NFL slate on any given Sunday (just try watching one game in the AFC South). Unlike previous decades of the NFL, when coaches like Shula, Landry, Noll, Parcells, Walsh, Gibbs and Grant often matched wits, Belichick and Carroll are unmatched among their peers.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":2qbxuinb said:
KiwiHawk":2qbxuinb said:

I wouldn't say Carroll is underrated. Not anymore, anyway. When we hired him, absolutely. But only 3 weeks ago, this article ran on SI.com:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/11/14/nfl-week-10-seahawks-patriots-rivalry-bill-belichick-pete-carroll

And this is no faint praise:

When it comes to today’s NFL, Carroll-Belichick is like a lush oasis after slogging miles through the dry desert that is the rest of the NFL slate on any given Sunday (just try watching one game in the AFC South). Unlike previous decades of the NFL, when coaches like Shula, Landry, Noll, Parcells, Walsh, Gibbs and Grant often matched wits, Belichick and Carroll are unmatched among their peers.

And yet in the Carroll era, Belichick got his 3rd Coach of the Year, Ron Rivera got it twice, Bruce Arians got it twice with two different teams, and even Jim Harbaugh got one.

Surely somewhere along the time, it's Pete's turn?

Laloosh

Reaction score
^^ New England has the 2nd fewest points allowed over that stretch.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":h1vj4hte said:
mikeak":h1vj4hte said:
Sgt. Largent":h1vj4hte said:
pacific101":h1vj4hte said:

I dismiss it because I trust the smart people. I don't know anymore about football than you or anyone else on this forum.

That's why I watch and listen to an unhealthy amount of analysis about the sport, and particularly the Hawks.

Of course everyone's entitled to their opinions, but when literally NO ONE SMART ABOUT FOOTBALL agrees with the Bevell haters, I dismiss...........and so should you.

Have you lived under a rock ? Plenty of experts have been very critical of bevell....

Latest posts