OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1pjbf9wb said:
massari":1pjbf9wb said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheBucsWire/status/958434426039410689[/tweet]
3rd from the Bucs for Bennett would be perfect. May even settle for a 4th if a certain guy is still on the board.
Finally a decent trade proposal. I’d trade Bennett for a 3rd.

I suggested Bennett for a 3rd in the original post :?

Albeit to New England.

massari

Reaction score
original poster":25i5diuq said:
Sports Hernia":25i5diuq said:
massari":25i5diuq said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheBucsWire/status/958434426039410689[/tweet]
3rd from the Bucs for Bennett would be perfect. May even settle for a 4th if a certain guy is still on the board.
Finally a decent trade proposal. I’d trade Bennett for a 3rd.

I suggested Bennett for a 3rd in the original post :?

Albeit to New England.
He meant finally a decent trade proposal from me....which I got from you. ;)

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Here's a much tamer version.

Seahawks cut the following players -

Cliff Avril
Michael Bennett
Jeremy Lane
Jon Ryan

From those cuts, the Seahawks would have $30,173,861 in cap room.

With the current draft picks, that'll eat $5,995,471, plus keeping, say $5M for in season signings due to injury, you could expect Seattle to have around $19,178,390 in cap space to sign free agents.

With the cuts the roster sits at 42 players. However, assuming that 5 of the 8 drafted players make the team, that puts the roster up to 47. Add in 2 UDFA's and you're up to 49. That leaves 4 players needed for the 53 man roster. Ala free agency.

I expect them to draft 2 RB's (one early and one late) as they only have 3 on the roster currently. Worringly they only have 2 DE's as well, however I expect some of the RFA's to be back as well as at least 1 draft choice and 1 free agency signing.

Some points of note -

Frank Clark could well be in for an extension this off season, they're allowed to extend him as of a couple of weeks ago. That will hurt the cap as his current 2018 number is $1,187,527.

Sheldon Richardson is 100% gone unless the team makes some jaw dropping cuts or trades. Same applies to Jimmy Graham and Paul Richardson.

If Earl does get an extension, I cannot figure a way to make his cap hit not go up by at least $2M (making the contract realistic, anyway). His current 2018 number is $10,400,000.

The kicker situation can be very cheaply resolved via a late round draft pick or an undrafted free agent.

If Jon Ryan does get cut, again the position can be managed via a late rounder or UDFA, very cheaply.

The current roster has glaring holes at RB, TE, DE, G and OLB.

I think it's unrealistic (unless drastic personnel changes are made) to expect the team to address all the needs effectively given the cap numbers available to them and their draft capital.

I can absolutely imagine, if they play this relatively conservatively, that it is a two year plan to get back on track and they will, ultimately, have to accept glaring holes at one or two positions next season as they're not in a position to be able to address every problem.

Either way, they absolutely need to hit on several draft picks this April to stay competitive.

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":ov77xpn5 said:

Cliff Avril
Michael Bennett
Jeremy Lane
Jon Ryan

From those cuts, the Seahawks would have $30,173,861 in cap room..........

From those cuts, or AFTER those cuts? No way just those 4 players add up to that.

It makes no sense to cut Bennett and only save $3M in cap, when you can cut Sherman and save $11M coming of a major injury.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
original poster":ebvj23lg said:

Cliff Avril
Michael Bennett
Jeremy Lane
Jon Ryan

With the current draft picks, that'll eat $5,995,471, plus keeping, say $5M for in season signings due to injury, you could expect Seattle to have around $19,178,390 in cap space to sign free agents.

With the cuts the roster sits at 42 players. However, assuming that 5 of the 8 drafted players make the team, that puts the roster up to 47. Add in 2 UDFA's and you're up to 49. That leaves 4 players needed for the 53 man roster. Ala free agency.

I expect them to draft 2 RB's (one early and one late) as they only have 3 on the roster currently. Worringly they only have 2 DE's as well, however I expect some of the RFA's to be back as well as at least 1 draft choice and 1 free agency signing.

Some points of note -

Frank Clark could well be in for an extension this off season, they're allowed to extend him as of a couple of weeks ago. That will hurt the cap as his current 2018 number is $1,187,527.

Sheldon Richardson is 100% gone unless the team makes some jaw dropping cuts or trades. Same applies to Jimmy Graham and Paul Richardson.

If Earl does get an extension, I cannot figure a way to make his cap hit not go up by at least $2M (making the contract realistic, anyway). His current 2018 number is $10,400,000.

The kicker situation can be very cheaply resolved via a late round draft pick or an undrafted free agent.

If Jon Ryan does get cut, again the position can be managed via a late rounder or UDFA, very cheaply.

I think it's unrealistic (unless drastic personnel changes are made) to expect the team to address all the needs effectively given the cap numbers available to them and their draft capital.

I can absolutely imagine, if they play this relatively conservatively, that it is a two year plan to get back on track and they will, ultimately, have to accept glaring holes at one or two positions next season as they're not in a position to be able to address every problem.

Either way, they absolutely need to hit on several draft picks this April to stay competitive.

In other words, there's a good chance 2018 is a down year for Seattle.

I'm not being passive-aggressive or facetious. Your post is one of the few that acknowledges the actual DAMAGE that cutting all these players will inflict to the team's talent level.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Seymour":2fneq8r9 said:
original poster":2fneq8r9 said:

Cliff Avril
Michael Bennett
Jeremy Lane
Jon Ryan

From those cuts, or AFTER those cuts? No way just those 4 players add up to that.

It makes no sense to cut Bennett and only save $3M in cap, when you can cut Sherman and save $11M coming of a major injury.

After those cuts, including the cap space already in place.

I know it's 'only' $3M, but the benefits really come into play in 2019. If they wait until 2019 to cut him than the cap situation is about the same, minimal gain in 2019 but big gains in 2020. No point in delaying it IMO.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1spk5x3x said:
original poster":1spk5x3x said:

Cliff Avril
Michael Bennett
Jeremy Lane
Jon Ryan

Some points of note -

I'm not being passive-aggressive or facetious. Your post is one of the few that acknowledges the actual DAMAGE that cutting all these players will inflict to the team's talent level.

I don't believe for a second that they can't replace the talent that will inevitably be leaving the team, though. Never say never.

A lot of things are going to be different in Seattle next season, thats for certain. To what extent and whether it'll make them better or worse in the immediate future is yet to be seen.

You unearth new core players in these types of situations. Guys that have been in the background the past year+, learning their craft then just grab the opportunity in front of them with both hands and excel themselves. I have no doubt at least 2 players are going to emerge, the question mark is who it'll be.

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":1kir50j3 said:
Seymour":1kir50j3 said:
original poster":1kir50j3 said:

Cliff Avril
Michael Bennett
Jeremy Lane
Jon Ryan

After those cuts, including the cap space already in place.

I know it's 'only' $3M, but the benefits really come into play in 2019. If they wait until 2019 to cut him than the cap situation is about the same, minimal gain in 2019 but big gains in 2020. No point in delaying it IMO.

Ya, if you have caved into the 2 year plan that makes sense. And you may be right in the fact that next year is going to be very difficult to compete for a title with what they have in place here now. :(

Trading Bennett and Sherman (or even cutting Sherm) would make more sense to me still, even if we end up with little draft value out of them.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Seymour":2ssbhtf9 said:
original poster":2ssbhtf9 said:

Cliff Avril
Michael Bennett
Jeremy Lane
Jon Ryan

Just to address the Sherman comments.

With my face against the wall, I'd say he is on the team next season. Provided they don't want to be ultra aggressive in free agency they can address at least some of their needs with the cap space they (will) have as well as the (limited) draft picks, provided a few things go their way, at least.

It's all a bit up in the air at the moment, I'm not convinced he has much trade value although at the same time I wouldn't be that shocked if a team gave up a 3rd for him (in which case, you jump on it).

Seattle is in cap heaven as of 2019 so they don't need to worry about future savings from getting rid of Sherm as his contract expires after this coming season.

In reality, the only situations that he's not on the team in the 2018 season -

- They decide to blow the team up and get rid of all ageing vets that have question marks over their head
- They receive an offer they can't refuse
- They really want to resign Sheldon Richardson
- They really want to sign an expensive free agent

If none of those 4 situations are the direction they want to go, he will be on the team next year and in all likelihood, will continue playing at (or very close to) the shutdown corner we've grown to know and love. Hell, if he performs well in 2018 I'd be on board with extending him after the season, he is exactly the type of player that will age well. His game has never relied on his speed, it's relied on his intelligence and awareness to what is going on.

Seymour

Reaction score
On Sherman I would also say he relies on quickness, length and jumping ability also. 2 of those could easily diminish after having both feet operated on. He already had some issues with quicker guys and double moves at times, and I see that as getting worse personally. That and whatever friction caused the trade talks last off season could spell a not so secure position for him IMO. We will see. I don't think they keep both Thomas and Sherman for 2018, and Thomas I think is in a better position to hold his value personally.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
I don't think any move this off season is going to shock me in honesty.

I can see both of them on the team in 2018, one of them or none of them.

A dull off season, it will not be!

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Cyoplasm/status/961259208871051265[/tweet]

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
original poster":1uqbutqp said:
Does this mean he has no trade value on his current contract?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Clayton is frequently wrong as his crystal ball malfunctions from time to time.

That said, there will be some surprising moves made by the team this offseason as the team is re-shaped.

I frankly have difficulty in seeing the team cutting Bennett, but could see a trade if another team steps up.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
original poster":3pvl1rrj said:
MontanaHawk05":3pvl1rrj said:
original poster":3pvl1rrj said:

Cliff Avril
Michael Bennett
Jeremy Lane
Jon Ryan

Some points of note -

I don't believe for a second that they can't replace the talent that will inevitably be leaving the team, though. Never say never.

A lot of things are going to be different in Seattle next season, thats for certain. To what extent and whether it'll make them better or worse in the immediate future is yet to be seen.

You unearth new core players in these types of situations. Guys that have been in the background the past year+, learning their craft then just grab the opportunity in front of them with both hands and excel themselves. I have no doubt at least 2 players are going to emerge, the question mark is who it'll be.

Losing Avril, Richardson, AND Bennett in a year we lack a second- and third-round pick is almost a surefire way to put a limit on our defense's potency for 2018. Teams' seasons rise and fall with the DL.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":1nb4w3o8 said:
original poster":1nb4w3o8 said:
Does this mean he has no trade value on his current contract?

If that is the case with Bennett, it has nothing to do with football on why they would just release him. He has football value, and that value is likely diminished some with his other issues.
I'm no huge Bennett fan anymore, but I think this is a bad move personally.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Forget cutting him, trade him at least. Unless there is some big guarantee that they are trying to avoid etc.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2i8vpjrx said:
original poster":2i8vpjrx said:
MontanaHawk05":2i8vpjrx said:
original poster":2i8vpjrx said:

Cliff Avril
Michael Bennett
Jeremy Lane
Jon Ryan

Some points of note -

Losing Avril, Richardson, AND Bennett in a year we lack a second- and third-round pick is almost a surefire way to put a limit on our defense's potency for 2018. Teams' seasons rise and fall with the DL.

Unless they're replaced with equal, or even better players, obviously.

Seahawkville

Reaction score
mrt144":1efgdx5f said:
I know this is probably unpopular but what could we get for KJ Wright?

Don't even ask. And why would you want to trade him?

He is still very vital and basically uninjured his whole career.

Latest posts