OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":bv7ha0zs said:
original poster":bv7ha0zs said:
MontanaHawk05":bv7ha0zs said:
original poster":bv7ha0zs said:
Teams are built through the draft, but you already know that.

Teams are built through early picks. Are you not going to acknowledge that this is a difficult year to pull that off?

No, I think we will be just fine on the DL without Bennett or Cliff.

How do you figure that?

Because if they want to add an expensive piece to the DL (Sheldon or someone else) they can make it happen.

Malik may well be here for his first year.

Dion Jordan and others are likely back.

Naz Jones looked superb as a rookie.

Reed is incredibly underrated.

Frank is in a contract year (as it stands).

They will draft at the position early (as I’ve said numerous times over the last week, I firmly believe their draft board will look different come April).

They may even go DL with the 18th pick If someone like Vita Vea drops.

I’m concerned about the running back situation and the offensive line, the DL isn’t a position of concern IMO.

massari

Reaction score
jammerhawk":unv9zyop said:
Hard to replace Bennett easily, just giving him away is a foolish move.
The only reason Bennett may not have trade value is because of his distractions on and off the field.

Maybe the Seahawks feel his toxicity is just too much to keep around...

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I land on the side of the camp of lets shed some aging stars but with the understanding that it will drastically hurt the 2018 season.

PCJS bet big on 2017 and failed. Had we gone through with some trades last year we could've gotten solid value for some of our aging core that will be hard to come by this offseason. Seattle could've had an extra first for Sherm last year, but they wanted Revis level value and didn't get it. Now Sherm is coming off an Achilles injury. Even if we wanted to trade him we would not receive anything close to that value. This extends to several other players like Kam, Cliff, Jimmy and Bennett. Had we made these moves last year I think 2017 would've been worse but the outlook of 2018 would look a little less bleak.

I know I'm speaking with hindsight and I don't really begrudge some of the moves, but this is the reality in the NFL. I'm of the philosophy that if there is a problem looming, deal with it now and not later. Seattle kicked the can down the road and now our 2018 season looks pretty bleak when compared to previous seasons. I think this is the year you shed the old core, and you take the lumps up front next year. Pete is a builder, not a caretaker. He proved that at SC and he proved that here. Lets tear it down so we can go through a real transition of talent.

I know I'm being pessimistic, but I just don't believe this team, as currently constructed, can compete for a championship next year. And I don't think we have the money or draft capital to turn it into one. We will get worse initially but I believe with game reps a younger core can improve. I just don't think Pete and John forgot how to build a team. I do think they got too attached to the one they had and once they cut the ties, they can get back to building something great again.

massari

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3h1deol8 said:
massari":3h1deol8 said:
Might possibly trade Bennett post June 1st (for a 2019 pick) since there would be more cap savings/less dead money.

Wonder if the Raiders can afford Sherman under the cap for the 11th pick in the 3rd round? Seems like a good match for Sherman to play opposite of Gareon Conley in his home town. Don't think I'd trade him for anything less than that and wait to see how he looks in training camp before making the decision whether to cut him or not.

Earl Thomas to the Cowboys for pick #19 seems perfect.

Trade:

Sherman
Thomas
Bennett
Britt

Release:

Lane
Avril
Ryan

Retire:

Kam :pray:
LOL.
Are you trying to turn them into a last place team???? I’m glad you are not the GM.
With all the uncertainty surrounding Sherman, Kam, Thomas, Avril ect, I'd like 2018 to be a rebuild year to get younger/hungrier and create more future cap room.

They can even have a slight rebuild while being highly competitive in 2018 if they're able to get some good FA's to come sign discounted deals/prove it types or have a draft like the Saints last year.

That said, I'd only trade those guys for decent returns unless the coaches think it's best for the team chemistry to get rid of them.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
Well we can get some contracts re-negotiated and cut some dead weight.

That will free up some cap space.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
AF_BASS_MAN":2m0w4hl1 said:
Well we can get some contracts re-negotiated and cut some dead weight.

That will free up some cap space.
Beat me to it. No need to destroy this team’s core just to say we are younger and cheaper (which will lead to suckier for the next few years) but hey, we rosterbated and the oragasm was great for the minute it lasted.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":tes2n18e said:
Just my own prediction, but I think they trade down out of the 1st and gain a 2nd and 3rd.

For sure.

Going by the much talked about draft trade value chart.

The 18th pick is worth 900 points.

For example, Clevelands 33rd overall pick and 65th overall pick (both the first picks in each respective round) are worth a combined 845. Add in a 5th rounder at around 43 points in value and you have a pretty fair trade.

Provided nobody very high on their board drops I'd be on board with that trade.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And they'll pick some guy that nobody has heard of, people will act like the world has come to an end etc. :lol:

Latest posts