The "Hollywood Russ" take

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Come on, folks.

Yes, the loss sucked. Losses suck, especially to a hapless Giants team on their second string. Yes, plenty of stupid decisions were made.

But... maybe we should keep the discussion to those decisions. Dissecting individual performances, scheme, and decisions like the punt in Giants territory.

Going on a limb about things that can scarcely be backed up, like Russ having an off-field life, is just... sophomoric, silly, and does nothing to actually explain his or the teams dip in offensive performance. He had the same off-field life when he was cooking earlier in the season. Why would it suddenly be a problem now? :twocents: :thcoffee:

UPDATE: Of course, this went off the rails. Updated the title to better reflect what I wanted the thread to mainly be focused on.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
But Russell is just a glorified Game Manager, aka Alex Smith! Didn't you get the memo?? Come on man!

:p

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Some other posters have an unrealistic sense of entitlement, they expect the opponents to lay down and give it up for their team.

The Giants may be an underperforming team but they are still a professional football team and their guys get paid like ours do. Their guys showed up yesterday while ours didn't and never got things together all game.

I knew that game was over as soon as the Giants got a lead, the Hawks had no jazz in their tanks all day.

pinksheets

Reaction score
The discourse here, especially after a loss, is so thoughtless and toxic. There used to be really thoughtful analysis here, and now it's threads about Russell being too hollywood or people saying, definitively, that Pete and Russ can't win and that any thought to the contrary means you're one of the sheeple. Did the posting population shift that much over a few years or have so many of us turned that sour? No forum is ever perfect, and I'm certainly glossing over some shit from the past, but damn, it gets ugly as hell here consistently.

Really off-putting.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Unless the reason for the loss was more a function of what happens when Pete is coach and what to expect from this team in the playoffs?

Then it might be relevant to explore.

Most of it is indeed venting because I think at this point even the casual Seahawk fan knows not to expect anything from Pete in the playoffs (outside of the wildcard game) since his SB loss.

I mean, he was literally outcoached in the playoffs by Jason Garrett! So you are right. These losses where a near division leader loses at home to a team with a 2nd string QB with few recent starts...those happen all the time? Right?

Either way, it doesn't matter. We know not to worry about the division lead now and we know probably don't expect anything from this team in the playoffs unless Pete gets real coordinators and lets them do their jobs. Pete will never do that...so maybe just don't expect anything from this team in the playoffs for as long as Pete is the HC.

Losses like this are a harbinger but being shocked that Pete won't change after nearly a half-decade of making the same mistakes? That is more on us than him.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I have an idea. If you're paid at nearly unprecedented levels, keep your damn perfume launches to the off season. Take your pathetic defense of Russ and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Having an off field life means kids, family, etc. NOT MAKING MORE MONEY.

I've left five times for 7 months a pop in defense of this country and believe me when i say it's seven months of all business unless someone dies. You losers defending these pampered millionaires make me sick. They need far more accountability for bs performances like this.

O how i wish i could buy out the nfl and restructure it all to a performance based pay system...

xray

Reaction score
And wins get little action here . Why ? Losing has more reasons to argue . Winning is winning , what's to discuss ?

olyfan63

Reaction score
It's Overreaction Monday and all's fair. It's a fool's errand to try to constrain or "judge" the discussion after a showing like that. We can hold ourselves to higher standards later after purging a bit.

I mean, it was pretty bad, and some people, yours truly included at times, need to vent and generally emotionally process the garbage we wasted hours of our life following on Sunday, before cooler heads and clearer thinking can kick in.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Optimus25":xtj0akqg said:
I have an idea. If you're paid at nearly unprecedented levels, keep your damn perfume launches to the off season. Take your pathetic defense of Russ and shove it where the sun don't shine.

I've left five times for 7 months a pop in defense of this country and believe me when i say it's seven months of all business unless someone dies. You losers defending these pampered millionaires make me sick. They need far more accountability for bs performances like this.

O how i wish i could buy out the nfl and restructure it all to a performance based pay system...

Well, seems like you very obviously have some personal issues to work out, and probably shouldn't project it on everyone else.

I'm not defending Russ. I'm attacking stupidity, like the idea that creating a perfume mainly spearheaded by his wife and that was actually completed during the very early offseason is even slightly relevant when discussing the performance of a quarterback that is still statistically at the top of the league in several categories.

That's stupid. Very, very, very stupid. Your service, and your personal demons that create resentment towards successful people, are similarly irrelevant. You're entitled to jack shit, and the implication that you're free to make stupid accusations without people calling them stupid is silly. So, please, by all means: attack Russell's play with some thoughtful analysis using actual football knowledge. Until then, the contention that a perfume is the cause of his recent dip in performance is stupid, and I'll keep calling it stupid, because it is STUPID.

So, be my guest, go be as sick as you want. I don't care, what you said is stupid.

Also: performance-based pay system? You mean like free agency, where a market is established for players based on their perceived caliber of play? Wow, how innovative. You should run for President.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I understand the emotional reaction. But as I just saw on TV, Washington just beat the vaunted Steelers. Winning is hard in the NFL, and you can't always predict how a match-up will turn out. Not that there aren't reasons for concern.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pinksheets":3hcadq73 said:
The discourse here, especially after a loss, is so thoughtless and toxic. There used to be really thoughtful analysis here, and now it's threads about Russell being too hollywood or people saying, definitively, that Pete and Russ can't win and that any thought to the contrary means you're one of the sheeple. Did the posting population shift that much over a few years or have so many of us turned that sour? No forum is ever perfect, and I'm certainly glossing over some shit from the past, but damn, it gets ugly as hell here consistently.

Really off-putting.

It becomes more and more like the Facebook Seahawks page comment section daily. Just a constant stream of diarrhea pouring through keyboards. The real football minds have left, and what we're left with resembles the cartoonish baseball scouts in Moneyball, that evaluate the attractiveness of a guys girlfriend to determine how good of a player he'll be.

It's horrendous. I guess Russell was also distracted during the beginning of the season, when we saw him start hotter than any quarterback in the history of the league... which was also after the perfume everyone is talking about as the prime example of his distraction had been developed.

I guess it's just the way of the world, with everyone under stress in these unprecedented times. Sad to see it manifest so strongly on a football message board, but ah well.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
pinksheets":1ageg5al said:
The discourse here, especially after a loss, is so thoughtless and toxic. There used to be really thoughtful analysis here, and now it's threads about Russell being too hollywood or people saying, definitively, that Pete and Russ can't win and that any thought to the contrary means you're one of the sheeple. Did the posting population shift that much over a few years or have so many of us turned that sour? No forum is ever perfect, and I'm certainly glossing over some $h!t from the past, but damn, it gets ugly as hell here consistently.

Really off-putting.

Now were's my Like button?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The complaining over the losses are because this is an ongoing trend. Different year, same garbage. Pete Carroll refuses to adapt, poor clock management, foolish offensive schemes same result, an early exit from the playoffs. Thus far we're following the same path as we have since 2015. We're wasting our QBs prime with Carroll.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Optimus25":3qaf5v9z said:

Wow....an individual living in a free country is not allowed to make money in every possible legal way? Only one source of income is permissible? Is this only for the NFL or every single CITIZEN of this country?

Should Russ report to you directly when he needs to account for his play?

The NFL makes owners Billions, how much less than the 47% of revenue would you like to give your servants...I mean players in this dream scenario of yours?

I will take my opinion of the best QB to ever wear a Seahawks uniform and put it at your house.....obviously the sun never shines there.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3c3mwxba said:
The complaining over the losses are because this is an ongoing trend. Different year, same garbage. Pete Carroll refuses to adapt, poor clock management, foolish offensive schemes same result, an early exit from the playoffs. Thus far we're following the same path as we have since 2015. We're wasting our QBs prime with Carroll.

Apparently he's wasting his own prime by not focusing on football.

BandWagon11Hawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":clvpoxha said:
I'm not defending Russ. I'm attacking stupidity, like the idea that creating a perfume mainly spearheaded by his wife and that was actually completed during the very early offseason is even slightly relevant when discussing the performance of a quarterback that is still statistically at the top of the league in several categories.

That's stupid. Very, very, very stupid. Your service, and your personal demons that create resentment towards successful people, are similarly irrelevant. You're entitled to jack $h!t,

It's also pretty stupid to care so much what is discussed on a football forum, and you're not entitled either to anything on a football forum.

You could lead by example instead of tiresome tirades such as this entire thread.

Bloviating is what sports fans do. We are not coaches analyzing film and then getting off track. We can bloviate all day. It's the online version of moronic bar talk. It's fine.

Bloviate on good 12's, bloviate on.

Rat

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1yhw2zim said:
He had the same off-field life when he was cooking earlier in the season.

Can you please forward me the off-field camera set on him? I didn't know that was a thing.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
Nobody likes to lose when you are favored by double digits. Jason Garrett out coached us. His defenses were well disguised. Russ made some bad decisions which also did not help. Our starting offensive line was decimated which did not help either. Wheeler was getting pushed all over the field. Our receivers were not getting much separation. They played two deep safeties and were determined not to let us get the long ball. When DK went out long they bracketed him. Our defense was better and continues to improve. We do not have as easiest road ahead of us as we had planned. Washington is coming on beating Pittsburg today. The Jets gave Oakland all they could handle. The the Rams and the Niners will be no cake walk. The key is to get our line healthy on both sides of the ball. Russ needs to get rid of the ball faster even it is to a RB coming out of the back or TE across the middle on quick slants. It seems to me he is trying too hard and has made some bad decisions. On several occasions he had guys open and did not see them. This is very unlike him.

ducks41468

Reaction score
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to be concerned about this team. Perfume launches and podcasts don't fall under that category.