The Home Mystique. Have we lost it?

mrt144

Reaction score
It is beyond bizarre to have folks in here being all like "The fans aren't as loud thus we don't have home field advantage like we used to" when there was a nearly blinding stimulus to generate that noise, namely dominant defensive football.

For two years the defense hasn't been those guys so asking fans over 16 games to give it their all with their vocal chords and have it not matter much (even perceptively to fans themselves)...why would expect fans to do their rain making dance as the drought continues.

Oh sure, the fan demographics have changed and there's just a bunch of peacoat clad lads who are reading Proust during the game...but cmon, fans, not just Hawks fans, bring it when there is constant validation of their collective fan efforts. That we brought it just that much more when we had an exciting and dominant defense on the field is really cool but to expect that level of unrewarded fervor to continue...cmon.

Unwavering enthusiasm is a great ideal to strive for but it's like the gottdang Seahawks running game - When it doesn't work what else do you have? Not much?

chris98251

Reaction score
Other then Wilson who not on this board knows any of the players ? Lynch, Sherman and Kam made reputations and were in the media a lot. Right now were almost faceless other then Wilson for star power and draw.

knownone

Reaction score
mrt144":9qtwt4dq said:
It is beyond bizarre to have folks in here being all like "The fans aren't as loud thus we don't have home field advantage like we used to" when there was a nearly blinding stimulus to generate that noise, namely dominant defensive football.

For two years the defense hasn't been those guys so asking fans over 16 games to give it their all with their vocal chords and have it not matter much (even perceptively to fans themselves)...why would expect fans to do their rain making dance as the drought continues.

Oh sure, the fan demographics have changed and there's just a bunch of peacoat clad lads who are reading Proust during the game...but cmon, fans, not just Hawks fans, bring it when there is constant validation of their collective fan efforts. That we brought it just that much more when we had an exciting and dominant defense on the field is really cool but to expect that level of unrewarded fervor to continue...cmon.

Unwavering enthusiasm is a great ideal to strive for but it's like the gottdang Seahawks running game - When it doesn't work what else do you have? Not much?
The stadium was loud even before we had a great defense or team. Seriously, we never used to care what our record was or how good the team was because we felt as a fanbase it was our duty to scream our way to 6-8 wins at home every season.

I'm not saying the stadium isn't loud anymore, but it's definitely not what it was from 2003-2014. This is a fan base that set a world record screaming 137.6 decibels in 2013, against the Chargers last week we were struggling to put up 115.

mrt144

Reaction score
knownone":1c3ejiyo said:
mrt144":1c3ejiyo said:

The stadium was loud even before we had a great defense or team. Seriously, we never used to care what our record was or how good the team was because we felt as a fanbase it was our duty to scream our way to 6-8 wins at home every season.

I'm not saying the stadium isn't loud anymore, but it's definitely not what it was from 2003-2014. This is a fan base that set a world record screaming 137.6 decibels in 2013, against the Chargers last week we were struggling to put up 115.

I am very doubtful that the Mora year was that loud.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Can you remember The BeastQuake Run? We fans moved the earth!!! I doubt that the stadium has been that loud this year. There was no doubt that no team in the NFL wanted to play in Seattle that year.
Yes....I see more "seat warmers" every year.....kinda sad, isn't it?

knownone

Reaction score
mrt144":1ex2hvv0 said:
knownone":1ex2hvv0 said:
mrt144":1ex2hvv0 said:

I am very doubtful that the Mora year was that loud.
You'd actually be surprised. A lot of us felt like Holmgren's last year was an injury-plagued fluke of a season and that the team still had the pieces to be a playoff team. I think we blew out the 49ers or Rams in the first game of the season and it was as loud as ever. If I remember correctly that was the year with the neon green jerseys where our fullback busted open his head against his helmet in pregame against the Jags? We blew them out as well and that game was as wild as I can remember any game being... Seriously, I remember walking out of the tunnels thinking that our 3-4 (or whatever) Seahawks had finally turned the corner lol.

Ultimately, Mora's season turned sour and I'm sure the fervor died down a little bit as the blowouts continued to mount. But, that was a bad team that still won 5 games and 4 of those 5 games were at home.

OP
OP
Scorpion05

Scorpion05

Reaction score
With all due respect, did some of you only start watching the Seahawks in 2012? Even from a distance?

So much illogical analysis in here. "We're not as good as we used to be!" Well duh. "What about quality of competition??" Well duh again. That's not what's being debated here

Even in our 2010 7-9 season, the Seahawks had a 5-3 record at home, "Qwest Field" as it was called back then. We had some bad losses in the 3 we dropped, but it was still immensely difficult to play here.

Do I have an answer for why our home-field advantage has dropped? No. Demographic changes maybe? Fans who are loud but not rabid, more blue collar, and passionate? Again I don't know, but SOMETHING has changed. Stop talking about the talent on our team when coming to Seattle for over a decade was considered to be a dreadful road game by MOST teams. The noise was unbearable. It's still loud, the energy is still good enough. But it's no longer at an amazing level.

mrt144

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1ffhmbam said:
With all due respect, did some of you only start watching the Seahawks in 2012? Even from a distance?

So much illogical analysis in here. "We're not as good as we used to be!" Well duh. "What about quality of competition??" Well duh again. That's not what's being debated here

Even in our 2010 7-9 season, the Seahawks had a 5-3 record at home, "Qwest Field" as it was called back then. We had some bad losses in the 3 we dropped, but it was still immensely difficult to play here.

Do I have an answer for why our home-field advantage has dropped? No. Demographic changes maybe? Fans who are loud but not rabid, more blue collar, and passionate? Again I don't know, but SOMETHING has changed. Stop talking about the talent on our team when coming to Seattle for over a decade was considered to be a dreadful road game by MOST teams. The noise was unbearable. It's still loud, the energy is still good enough. But it's no longer at an amazing level.

Maybe Hawks fans have a longer refractory period? ;)

RCATES

Reaction score
Absolutely. I've been a season ticket holder since 2009. The crowd really started making a noticeable difference around 2010-2011. I sell about a third of my tickets every year because I simply can't go to every game and this past two years has been brutal. The last 6 games I've personally been to the team is 1-5. 5 in a row going currently. Absolutely brutal what has happened to this teams Home field advantage.

mrt144

Reaction score
Now that I think about this more, this seems to lay bare the conceit of Hawks fans thinking they were a huge reason for the home record.

Ed2

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Seymour":2it0vmac said:
pittpnthrs":2it0vmac said:
Seymour":2it0vmac said:
pittpnthrs":2it0vmac said:
So whats the answer? Other teams arent making mistakes anymore? That couldnt be due to the teams regression could it? Teams come in and punch us in the mouth because they are better. That never used to happen.

Then why do we win at a far better rate when we are away from home over that time period?

You haven't answered anything with that statement.

Yeah, i'm not sure. Guess theres no reason for it. We must have gotten lucky before. Pure coincidence.

Well I don't have the answer either, but something is different right now. My best guess? An old saying says "there is comfort in the familiar". Maybe we are getting too comfortable at home "knowing we have that 12th man" to pull us through?

I use too much A.B.C logic at times. I took the route that the team has been regressing the past 4 or so years and losing all pro talent at every turn thus adding to the reason of us becoming worse. Of course there are many other factors I didn't look at. Agreeing with you, not sure exactly what it is, but there is something.

Jville

Reaction score
Scorpion05":j98qlahd said:
We've been a better road team than home team in recent years. We're 5-7 in our last 12 home games, 9-5 on the road. We've weirdly become a better road team.

In the past, no matter how great the opponent was, playing in Seattle was scary. But even when including the Texans game last year(which we miraculously won), it seems teams aren't afraid to play in Seattle anymore. What's changed? Is it the energy by players? Fans? Different philosophy from the coaching staff?

The crazy thing is, I'm more confident in a possible road victory against the Rams compared to say, our home game against the Vikings.

Visiting teams have changed and adjusted their preparations. Teams are better focused and geared up to deal with the 12th man. Phillip Rivers spoke to their special attention in preparing for a game at Century Link in his post game comments. IIRC, other visiting competitors have also noted special preparations in recent matchups. They are having success with their heighten focus. We are how enjoying sharper focus and execution from visiting teams than what we once saw ...... and what is typically seen at other venues.

Go Hawks!

D

DomeHawk

Aros":ncq164af said:
stang233":ncq164af said:
Yeah it's just not loud like it used to be. Now it's just like every other stadium.

That simply is not true. I am a season ticket holder and have been since 1997 and I have been around the NFL including the Super Dome in New Orleans and no other stadium even comes close. Now admittedly, I have never been to a game in Kansas City but otherwise, not even close.

^^^^Agreed, don't know where the poster gets that info.

Seymour

Reaction score
We don't need to guess if the crowd noise is down or not. Anyone with a smartphone can download a sound meter app and check each game. I have dbMeter for Iphone I used to check sound deadening I did on my car and it works awesome.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Mad Dog":204190if said:
OpHawk":204190if said:
. Take a look around you next game and note all the people gabbing to each other during critical parts of the game, or with their faces locked into their device and paying little attention to what's happening on the field. This is particularly true in the club sections.

Couple that with a team that simply is not that good. Yeah, tough to win at home in a highly competitive league.

Club sections have never stood and yelled. Noise has always come from the cheap seats and the lunch bucket crews that populate them. Has been that way forever.

What drives me crazy is the the folks that start Sea... Hawks! chants when we are driving on offense. That has certainly got worse since the Holmgren era.
I reside in Charter 133. We are always on our feet and vocal. You have to stand because everyone in front of you stands and I am in row 22.
12's have been known for their volume since the 70's in the Kingdome.
We still rock the joint. Teams ebb and flow. We remain.

lukerguy

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3igabpdr said:
Scorpion05":3igabpdr said:
In the past, no matter how great the opponent was, playing in Seattle was scary. But even when including the Texans game last year(which we miraculously won), it seems teams aren't afraid to play in Seattle anymore. What's changed? Is it the energy by players?

The team just isnt as good anymore. Pretty simple to me.

Yeah, but in past when the team still wasn't that good the Hawks would win 6 or 7 at home and lose 5-6 on the road.

SEAHAWKBLITZ

Reaction score
I have been to many games over the years, first attended when I was a kid at the kingdome. The difference in noise isn't all about volume to me. At times the stadium is still just as loud as it used to be. The difference between now and several years ago is sustained noise. I still believe the loudest game ever was our first NFC Championship against the Panthers, we blew them off the field during warmups. The fans were at full volume the entire time the defense was on the field, they can't communicate to get to the huddle, to call a play, snap count, anything. Today, it is pretty quiet until they break the huddle and approach the line of scrimmage, gets very loud when they are trying to get the play off, then it's quiet again once the ball is snapped up until they line up to run the next play. Not sure exactly how much that really matters, but that's the biggest thing I have noticed having been to the games from all era's. Also Blitz doesn't hold a candle to Bill the Beer Man.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
SEAHAWKBLITZ":1p5enehw said:
I have been to many games over the years, first attended when I was a kid at the kingdome. The difference in noise isn't all about volume to me. At times the stadium is still just as loud as it used to be. The difference between now and several years ago is sustained noise. I still believe the loudest game ever was our first NFC Championship against the Panthers, we blew them off the field during warmups. The fans were at full volume the entire time the defense was on the field, they can't communicate to get to the huddle, to call a play, snap count, anything. Today, it is pretty quiet until they break the huddle and approach the line of scrimmage, gets very loud when they are trying to get the play off, then it's quiet again once the ball is snapped up until they line up to run the next play. Not sure exactly how much that really matters, but that's the biggest thing I have noticed having been to the games from all era's. Also Blitz doesn't hold a candle to Bill the Beer Man.

That's been the case forever. Big games you'll see that the noise is earlier and more sustained. Comparing a non-conference mid season Sunday afternoon game to an NFC Championship game is apples to oranges.

Especially when the team isn't playing well. Fans get discouraged and if the team does nothing to get the team excited for most of the game, that noise will suffer accordingly. But this is nothing new. I remember a game against TB in 2013 where the fan noise really dropped before the furious comeback in the second half. We looked terrible and the fans got discouraged and its hard to summon all your internal venom when it seems to be only hurting your team.

Anyway, I don't think home volume has anything to do with the team losing at home. Crappy offence has been the issue every time. Penalties, untimely sacks, way too many 3rd and longs has killed the team at home the last 2 years. That needs to change. Execute on offence and the noise will follow. Put on a crap show for 3 quarters, you won't get the same level of noise.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think you guys are deep diving way too far into this question.

IMO it's as simple as technology and teams just being better and smarter at combatting crowd noise. Between the QB's helmet mic talking directly to his coach and coordinator, teams have perfected hand signals and silent counts where the guards and tackles no longer need to hear the QB.

Now the guard taps the center telling him to hike the ball, now the QB has silent alerts and hand signals to tell his WR's that he's changing the play.................good teams do all these things seamlessly, as we saw Rivers do on Sunday.