The Jamal Adams trade in retrospect

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
His cap hit was north of $20M the last few years, so it wouldn't make sense to cut him. In 2024 it finally drops to $14M and he'll be 29. This is the end of his prime and if he doesn't ball out this year, you can pretty much guarantee he'll be a cap casualty or re-negotiated to a much more reasonable number.
I'm painfully aware but at this point I don't care he's useless and blocking us from actually trying to improve our one glaring weakness.

Also why not even try to restructure now? It's doubtful he actually plays again it literally makes no sense. Football players rarely if ever come back from his injury. It's like they think they are playing with monopoly money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Look when he’s in there he’s a force. He’s a very intense guy and brings a ton of energy. However, his inability to stay healthy is what has made this trait a complete bust so far.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Look when he’s in there he’s a force. He’s a very intense guy and brings a ton of energy. However, his inability to stay healthy is what has made this trait a complete bust so far.
I get it. But I don't care anymore I prefer guys that are actually AVAILABLE

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
It's why I want change. Jody obviously doesn't care and Pete needs to be reined in. Hurtt as DC really!?
This is a Seahawks forum. Not sure why you post when you don’t like ANYTHING about the team??? Maybe you like the hope that the team will fire everyone and form the team in your liking?

Adams just came off the PUP. He will play again. At what level remains to be seen but why not hope that he can earn his paycheck on the field unless you just want him to lose to prove you right?

sc85sis

Reaction score
What does predicting his injuries have to do with it being a bad trade or not? It's only a bad trade if we knew the dude sucked before the trade?

That's how you determine bad trades, in hindsight.........and in hindsight it was a bad trade. Loss of picks + enormous contract with almost 40M guaranteed + missing way too many games in a Hawk's uniform = bad trade. Really bad trade.
Because at the time the trade was made, no one could have known he’d end up frequently injured. Trades are decided based on what’s known at the time.

Jamal played lights out the first season he was here. He not only got a ton of sacks, he was a presence that the offense constantly had to account for on the field. Had he stayed healthy and continued to play at that level, no one would be complaining right now. So no, the trade itself wasn’t bad, the unfortunate injury history is what’s bad.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
This is a Seahawks forum. Not sure why you post when you don’t like ANYTHING about the team??? Maybe you like the hope that the team will fire everyone and form the team in your liking?

Adams just came off the PUP. He will play again. At what level remains to be seen but why not hope that he can earn his paycheck on the field unless you just want him to lose to prove you right?
I have EVERY right to hate stupid trades for players we never needed and proceed to overpay said useless player that doesn't fit our system at 2x as we should have at worst.

Rat

Reaction score
He hasn't really even been a difference maker when he's been out there. His coverage has regressed since his time with the Jets. People point to his sacks, but that doesn't mean much in a vacuum if we don't also know how many times we gave up a big play because we sent our safety after the QB. It's not like he's the only safety in the league capable of posting sacks, but other teams rarely scheme for that the way we do because it makes the defense vulnerable in the secondary if the blitz gets picked up.

In fairness to Jamal, it's not his fault we got fleeced on the compensation. I loved him in NY and was excited to get him, but he was going to have to be our Troy Polamalu to justify the cost, and few safteys are Troy Polamalu. I hope someday Joe Douglas details the trade negotiations. I imagine it like that scene in "How I Met Your Mother" where Marshall and Lily get hosed on an apartment because Marshall panicked when the realtor claimed another couple was very interested in it.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I have EVERY right to hate stupid trades for players we never needed and proceed to overpay said useless player that doesn't fit our system at 2x as we should have at worst.
You have every right to hate the player, coaches, owner, and everyone else on the team. Just not sure why you root for them? Hate away.

Rat

Reaction score
You have every right to hate the player, coaches, owner, and everyone else on the team. Just not sure why you root for them? Hate away.
Because some people enjoy the analysis and watch for reasons other than strictly and blindly being a cheerleader. I hope our front office critically analyzes the moves they make too. We don't want to make this mistake again.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Because some people enjoy the analysis and watch for reasons other than strictly and blindly being a cheerleader. I hope our front office critically analyzes the moves they make too. We don't want to make this mistake again.
Please do Shanahan just did. Personally I live in KCMO and noticed we are paying 17 million for a safety. One that doesn't fit our scheme and never needed in the first place yeah. And wait for it...we refused to pay ET 12-14 you better believe the hate is real and growing. Both are serious overpays but ET might have been worth it Jamal never was or will be it's almost as bad as Trevor. It's flat ridiculous that SF actually could trade him but this should tell JS needs to get off his ass and start drafting real quarterbacks any chance he gets.

Last edited:

BASF

Reaction score
Please do Shanahan just did. Personally I live in KCMO and noticed we are paying 17 million for a safety. One that doesn't fit our scheme and never needed in the first place yeah.
I take it you missed the Bradley McDougald/Tedric Thompson season which is what precipitated the trade to bring in a better safety.

And wait for it...we refused to pay ET 12-14 you better believe the hate is real and growing. Both are serious overpays but ET might have been worth it Jamal never was or will be it's almost as bad as Trevor. It's flat ridiculous that SF actually could trade him but this should tell JS needs to get off his ass and start drafting real quarterbacks any chance he gets.
I think that Thomas' mental problems were wearing thin with the Seahawks front office. Also, the fact that he told the Cowboys to come get him in 2017 while still under contract with us.

getnasty

Reaction score
I always thought the price was steep but I also believe JA is a first ballot HOF'er if not for injuries so I had zero problem with the trade.

I also don't agree with JA being a malcontent. I actually believe he is well liked and wanted out of NY because they were a dumpster fire and wanted to win. The fact that Diggs takes up for him says it all.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I take it you missed the Bradley McDougald/Tedric Thompson season which is what precipitated the trade to bring in a better safety.

I think that Thomas' mental problems were wearing thin with the Seahawks front office. Also, the fact that he told the Cowboys to come get him in 2017 while still under contract with us.
Possible but still a bargain v Jamal the pure hate is just growing each day that he isn't a Seahawk.

chrispy

Reaction score
Personally, I'm interested in seeing how it plays out. JAdams still has opportunity to make it all worthwhile. I'm happy to concede that's not a probable outcome. However, there's also not really anything anyone can do to change the past. ...so I'm hoping it turns out well in the end.
Here's a question: What would he have to do this season for you to be OK with the trade?