The Legacy Died on the Field in SB 49

Rob12

Reaction score
For such a simple post, there is so much truth in it.

Bevell's play call fractured this organization. The look on Richard Sherman's face immediately following the pick said it all.

It's had a nasty effect on fans as well. For proof, see FlyingGreg's post. It's affected us all.

The biggest tragedy of that whole thing was that nothing was done. Pete stayed the course, despite the fact that his offensive coordinator would not own up to the mistake. Bevell's first course of action was to throw Ricardo Lockette under the bus. Then, he defended the call by saying it was the right play to run. He claims he regrets nothing, and that he'd call the same play again in the same situation. SI had an article about this, and Bevell's absolute refusal to own up to a play call that will live in sports infamy baffled me, and soured me on him for good. If he would have just said that he called the wrong play, I would have respected that. But he didn't. The players got to two SB's, putting their bodies through 19 grueling NFL games (not counting the preseason), and he undid all of that with one decision that was a terrible one, and he refuses to admit he was wrong. And he still continues to act like the smartest guy in a room in a press conference. His condescension is truly sickening. You'll see it again this week. The Seahawks had four possessions where they gained 16 yards. They gave the ball back to Cam Newton repeatedly, and he methodically made up the ground he needed to make.

My biggest disappointment in Pete Carroll is that he's stayed the course with this offense. It's loaded with weapons, but it is performing like a bottom five unit. And that is truly tragic (from a sports perspective, of course).

Nothing was ironed out in Hawaii. And nothing is ironed out now. The resentment has to be insanely thick in that locker room.

Rob12

Reaction score
And to back this point up a bit.

I was in the south end zone before the game. We had field passes.

Bevell went up to Marshawn before the game to shake his hand. Marshawn didn't shake it. Bevell hits Marshawn on the right shoulder pad, and offers his hand again. Marshawn reluctantly shakes it. Clear as day, he reluctantly shook it. I was right there. And for the proof, here is a pic:

SeahawksBoys zpsrkpsbh1u

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Rob12":q1waeuin said:

Bevell went up to Marshawn before the game to shake his hand. Marshawn didn't shake it. Bevell hits Marshawn on the right shoulder pad, and offers his hand again. Marshawn reluctantly shakes it. Clear as day, he reluctantly shook it. I was right there. And for the proof, here is a pic:

SeahawksBoys zpsrkpsbh1u

I can back you up, because I was on the field pregame too.

OP
OP
I

IndyHawk84

Reaction score
This is affecting the players to the extent that they do not want to be here imo. Remember how we used to lock up core players to contracts a year early? I don't see that being the case any longer. We used to sign big time contributers in free agency cause Seattle was a sought after destination. All of that begins to erode away. Players will start leaving the disfunctional environment as soon as they can. If we had a shot at hanging onto people like Bruce and JR...I think our ability will begin to decrease as this disfunctional locker room moves forward.

This is a really sad reality as we move forward, but this is just what I see transpiring. Who knows how bad it could be. One of our core players could be on the trading block by next season due to under performance and a lack of productivity.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Rob12":1i41srf8 said:

Bevell went up to Marshawn before the game to shake his hand. Marshawn didn't shake it. Bevell hits Marshawn on the right shoulder pad, and offers his hand again. Marshawn reluctantly shakes it. Clear as day, he reluctantly shook it. I was right there. And for the proof, here is a pic

I really believe what Stephen A said on Monday. This team does not trust this coaching staff right now. And now to compound the issue, the defense is hemorrhaging leads late. I would bet money that guys on the defense are sour towards guys on the offense for continually not getting it done when they can put the game away. I would bet money that guys on the offense are sour to the defense for not locking it up. It's a fragile setting right now.

Ultimately it's going to be up to the 53 players on this roster to play with pride and pull this season together, I fear a loss Thursday would send this season off the tracks and leave no choice for some major moves to come in the offseason.

Our season could end in Santa Clara, and it's not in February as we all hoped.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Rob12":5ggrucdn said:
.........Bevell went up to Marshawn before the game to shake his hand. Marshawn didn't shake it. Bevell hits Marshawn on the right shoulder pad, and offers his hand again. Marshawn reluctantly shakes it. Clear as day, he reluctantly shook it..........
Wow, just freakin' WOW!

Hasselbeck":5ggrucdn said:
........Our season could end in Santa Clara, and it's not in February as we all hoped.
Agree 100%, and sadly I think it will if it hasn't ended already. Pray I'm wrong.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
There's some things going on, but I think this thread is mostly unnecessary fan drama. I seem to be in the minority here, but that's alright. I'll stick my neck out. Hopefully what I say isn't insulting and will help some of you get out of your funk.

Yeah, Marshawn probably hates most everyone - perhaps mostly Bevell. Lol. But, you don't try to shake the hand of a beast that's about to eat.

To me, the narrative that is being propagated started at the end of the Super Bowl and seems like some fans actually bought it. So, now a couple of losses in a row when the team looked like they should have won those games has everyone questioning reality. It's football. Those things happen and this team is not immune from getting punched in the mouth if they don't take their opponents more seriously. Wins are not going to be handed to them. I don't care who you are.

Every team deals with some of the issues that the Seahawks have. Somehow we fans think it's unique to this team. Have we convinced ourselves that there was a time when there was no problems? The heart of a Champion is developed by overcoming adversity. It's always present to some degree. That 43-8 was a beautiful thing precisely because of overcoming adversity not because they expected to win.

This team is still young and talented. Existing problems will get worked out - one way or the other. Hopefully soon. If not, then there's a core group here that could rebound quickly with higher picks in the draft.

But, there's no reason to feed the trolls and mediots with "sky is falling" narrative coming from those who may have had their expectations too high. Because we've seen great performances, we somehow get the idea that the Seahawks are immune from adversity?

I definitely had high expecations going into the season (before Kam held out) with all the talk coming out of camp that it might be the most talented roster yet. I just thought they would be hungrier this season with all that's happened and could see them getting through what even looked like a tough schedule.

They're still in every game. This team is and will continue to be relevant and one that cannot or should not be dismissed.

Largent80

Reaction score
In EACH of the games we lost so far we were simply one play away from winning all of them except green bay.

If you buy the into the op, I've got a skyscraper in Kansas to sell you.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":3f3m54bn said:
In EACH of the games we lost so far we were simply one play away from winning all of them except green bay.

So you think there were absolutely no ramifications from that play call in February? Nothing that can spill over if we start 2-5? Nothing that has spilled over now?

That's a lot more naive than what the OP said.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3nku9ijn said:
Largent80":3nku9ijn said:

So you think there were absolutely no ramifications from that play call in February? Nothing that can spill over if we start 2-5? Nothing that has spilled over now?

I'm 100% with Largent80. He's being a voice of reason rather than building on some mystical force at play.

The Seahawks have not lost by double digits since November 6, 2011. This team continues to battle in every game this season. They obviously haven't come out on top more than we'd like. Let's see how they respond to this adversity. Losing one game like that to the Bengals happens. Two in a row gives the media a feeding frenzy. Fans are all too quick to buy what they're selling.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I also chime in that this thread is goofy.
There is no locker room "fracture" that lingers from the Super Bowl. No secret agendas. Just a few plays away from being 5-1, with the losses coming to teams with a record of 19-3 proves we are still a competitive, solid squad. Getting consistent blocking on the line and tightening up the cohesion in the secondary will get us back to the playoffs, where anything can happen.
And it's ridiculous to read anything into non-verbal reactions from Marshawn. He's a different cat. Remember last year when he refused to shake Baldwin's hand after he had scored a touchdown? Everyone who's anyone in the organization know that about him.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3b4f66gk said:
There is no locker room "fracture" that lingers from the Super Bowl. No secret agendas. Just a few plays away from being 5-1, with the losses coming to teams with a record of 19-3 proves we are still a competitive, solid squad. Getting consistent blocking on the line and tightening up the cohesion in the secondary will get us back to the playoffs, where anything can happen.
And it's ridiculous to read anything into non-verbal reactions from Marshawn. He's a different cat. Remember last year when he refused to shake Baldwin's hand after he had scored a touchdown? Everyone who's anyone in the organization know that about him.
Hear, hear! :th2thumbs:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":8ybxebf4 said:

Goofy? The clear majority of posters in this thread, of which contain some very good football minds, agree with the OP. That's not my definition of 'goofy.'

Who knows what's going on in the locker room. I sure don't, and neither do you. But it's undeniable that something about this team has changed, and it's only natural to speculate as to the cause. I've never been in an NFL locker room, but I have been in a lot of organizations where things weren't going according to expectations and experienced similar adverse situations, so I think the possible scenarios being thrown out in this thread are all very plausible. The way the first part of this season has gone constitutes some very compelling evidence.

RussB

Reaction score
I really dont think the team is just going to roll over after that loss. They should get hot and go on a run , too good of a team. If not this year then next year

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
As I stated, the evidence (close losses) are attributed to inconsistent offensive line play and lack of cohesion in the secondary. Get those 2 factors back up to snuff and we're a powerhouse again. If you want Soap Operas, watch Young and the Restless (which, ironically is a good way to describe many of our hipster bandwagon fans).

indyhawk1984

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":6s3zz0n8 said:
There's some things going on, but I think this thread is mostly unnecessary fan drama. I seem to be in the minority here, but that's alright. I'll stick my neck out. Hopefully what I say isn't insulting and will help some of you get out of your funk.

Yeah, Marshawn probably hates most everyone - perhaps mostly Bevell. Lol. But, you don't try to shake the hand of a beast that's about to eat.

To me, the narrative that is being propagated started at the end of the Super Bowl and seems like some fans actually bought it. So, now a couple of losses in a row when the team looked like they should have won those games has everyone questioning reality. It's football. Those things happen and this team is not immune from getting punched in the mouth if they don't take their opponents more seriously. Wins are not going to be handed to them. I don't care who you are.

Every team deals with some of the issues that the Seahawks have. Somehow we fans think it's unique to this team. Have we convinced ourselves that there was a time when there was no problems? The heart of a Champion is developed by overcoming adversity. It's always present to some degree. That 43-8 was a beautiful thing precisely because of overcoming adversity not because they expected to win.

This team is still young and talented. Existing problems will get worked out - one way or the other. Hopefully soon. If not, then there's a core group here that could rebound quickly with higher picks in the draft.

But, there's no reason to feed the trolls and mediots with "sky is falling" narrative coming from those who may have had their expectations too high. Because we've seen great performances, we somehow get the idea that the Seahawks are immune from adversity?

I definitely had high expecations going into the season (before Kam held out) with all the talk coming out of camp that it might be the most talented roster yet. I just thought they would be hungrier this season with all that's happened and could see them getting through what even looked like a tough schedule.

They're still in every game. This team is and will continue to be relevant and one that cannot or should not be dismissed.

As the OP I will gladly chime back in here.

First off I appreciate you sticking your neck out as you put to represent the other side of the fence per se. For those that are still optimistic that this team will right the ship. Mad props and respect to you for hanging tough with a positive approach.

However, human nature and mental toughness is a very real thing that goes into someone's performance in anything. It is an immeasurable wildcard factor in how someone does at anything. I am not building up some big mystical force here with the claims that this team is in shambles. We all know that Seahawk form. The form we saw in 2012 after the Bears game. The form that won a SB in 2013. The form that came to the surface after the KC game last season. That form of domination. A will that this team put forth that they dictated the pace of games.

This isn't a mystical force, it was very real and we all saw it with our own eyes for a huge part of the last 3 years. My opinion is that the issues that are internal with this club is not something a simple pat of the rear end or a bro hug is going to hash out. This team has trust issues with management and coaching staff. Wouldn't be too much of a stretch to possibly say there is some infighting. Some silent resentment within the players as a whole.

While many teams have their issues, the size and severity in scale varies. To think that a group of proud men with egos the size of the titanic are just going to shrug off what many perceive the worst call in SB history after they laid their bodies on the line to close out the season on an amazing run is insane.

Kudos to the team for fighting hard and being in games. However this team just mentally collapses in the fourth quarter time after time after time. I count Detroit as well. Props to Kam for saving the day there. The mental collapses are mounting week after week and in my opinion the evidence is right there on the film for us all to see.

I will say I want to be wrong about this. If the Seahawks turn it around and go on a mega run, I will be the first dude to respost here that I was wrong as hell. However, given the rare circumstances our boys have had to endure since the end of SB 49. The speculation in this thread and those that agree.....we have a foundation to stand on and relevant points have been made.

bighawk

Reaction score
I think that our team is more Hollywood and are more about themselves than playing as a team. I have never seen so many commericals with our star players. Now I do begrudge anyone making money but this team unity "we all we got we all we need mantra is slowly slipping away.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":4ilt6wbh said:
Largent80":4ilt6wbh said:

Maybe to many they do have some sort of stupid hangover that they languish over, but I find it ridiculous to hold onto those thoughts. I'm sure the players don't even think about it.

indyhawk1984

Reaction score
Revisiting the old thread....what is going on is embarrassing. This team is folding faster than a lawn chair with a 400 pounder on it. This team has showed little to no mental toughness this whole year. The 2015 Seahawks are a different breed of Seahawks than we know.

They collaspe, they fold in big moments...the special guys are gone and it angers me to no end. If they come back from this I will be right back here eating my crow. Promised