The Legacy Died on the Field in SB 49

RiverDog

Reaction score
IndyHawk84":158g1yl4 said:
Gentlemen I am here to say....the special Seahawks we knew. The potential legacy run this team "could of" been. Guys, those Seahawks we knew. The corpse is still lying on the field where SB 49 happened. The head is mounted on the wall in Tom Brady's sports den.

Not a troll post by any means. Just calling it how I see it. Superbowl 49 ended this team mentally, and with it....everything special this run could of been. The wheels are coming off week by week, and we reinsert ourselves in the medicore pack of the NFL.

Damn it

I agree. The only season ending loss that even comes close to SB 49 IMO is the Bills losing to the Giants when Scott Norwood missed what would have been a game winning FG.

After that, there was Russell's contract negotiation, Bennett's threatened holdout, Irvin's crying about not getting his option picked up, and of course, Kam's holdout.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
IndyHawk84":1aulmbya said:
Gentlemen I am here to say....the special Seahawks we knew. The potential legacy run this team "could of" been. Guys, those Seahawks we knew. The corpse is still lying on the field where SB 49 happened. The head is mounted on the wall in Tom Brady's sports den.

Not a troll post by any means. Just calling it how I see it. Superbowl 49 ended this team mentally, and with it....everything special this run could of been. The wheels are coming off week by week, and we reinsert ourselves in the medicore pack of the NFL.

Damn it

We will be a footnote in the lore of the greatest dynasty in professional sports The New England Patriots.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1kasjzl8 said:
IndyHawk84":1kasjzl8 said:

Damn it

We will be a footnote in the lore of the greatest dynasty in professional sports The New England Patriots.
The Patriots aren't even the greatest dynasty in the history of the NFL. The Green Bay Packers of the 60s won 5 championships in 7 seasons, 1961, '62, '65' '66 and '67. And no professional franchise compares to the New York Yankees when it comes to sustained excellence and championships.

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":12vip54o said:
TheRealDTM":12vip54o said:
IndyHawk84":12vip54o said:

Damn it

The Patriots aren't even the greatest dynasty in the history of the NFL. The Green Bay Packers of the 60s won 5 championships in 7 seasons, 1961, '62, '65' '66 and '67. And no professional franchise compares to the New York Yankees when it comes to sustained excellence and championships.

The Celtics had some pretty good runs, too, but they probably don't top the Bronx Bombers.

But if you want to extend the dynasty thing to the collegiate level, UCLA ran off something like 10 out of 12 NCAA basketball championships.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RiverDog":2el4n2jd said:
hawksfansinceday1":2el4n2jd said:
TheRealDTM":2el4n2jd said:
IndyHawk84":2el4n2jd said:

Damn it

The Celtics had some pretty good runs, too, but they probably don't top the Bronx Bombers.

But if you want to extend the dynasty thing to the collegiate level, UCLA ran off something like 10 out of 12 NCAA basketball championships.
10 out of 12 is correct for UCLA hoops. Think the Celts were something like 10 of 13 but would have to look it up. But the Yanks are the all-time dynasty as much as it pains me to say so.

OP
OP
I

IndyHawk84

Reaction score
We could of been a dynasty. We don't blow it in SB 49. Who knows if this team could of won a 3rd superbowl maybe.

It was not to be though. I still heavily appreciate all the amazing work and amazing moments this team has given us over the last 3 years. Truly the most special in all of hawks football.

RiverDog

Reaction score
IndyHawk84":3rig3xsp said:
It was not to be though. I still heavily appreciate all the amazing work and amazing moments this team has given us over the last 3 years. Truly the most special in all of hawks football.

That's part of the dilemma. One part of me feels exactly like you state. This has been the best 3 years of Seahawk football, and we should all be thankful.

But another part of me screams out "what have you done for me lately?!"

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
This team has been on an emotional rollercoaster the last 3 years. They havent lost their heart just emotionally spent. Bye week cant come soon enough.
That said they may be just a center and guard from being contenders.

gcolby

Reaction score
Sadly I have to agree with this post.

The last decent game Hawks played was playoff win against Carolina last year. I've been scratching my head trying to understand why everyone was still talking about the dominant defense when they've been soft in crucial situations ever since. Giving up leads is not a new problem.

And its not just a perplexing inability to cover TEs in obvious situations and blown coverages it extends all the way to poor tackling fundamentals where they get too much false credit for being sound. This really drives me mental because failure to wrap is a choice. Stewart got lots of extra yards yesterday because first man on went for the body check. I think the only guy on D I'd say is consistent on wrapping is Sherman the rest are no better than 50/50 and selfishly going for the hero hit.

Offense...well honestly I have not liked this offense since Pete Carroll got here, even when they were winning. Bill Walsh is credited with West Coast offense and Bevel will go down in history for Bi-Polar offense. Don't even want to go there.

They can do all the positive pressers they want but bottom line is Hawks are middle of the pack NFL team.

OP
OP
I

IndyHawk84

Reaction score
RiverDog":3i5ojou3 said:
IndyHawk84":3i5ojou3 said:

That's part of the dilemma. One part of me feels exactly like you state. This has been the best 3 years of Seahawk football, and we should all be thankful.

But another part of me screams out "what have you done for me lately?!"

I am right there with you buddy. This team has climbed incredible cliffs over the last three seasons. I am trying to focus more on how amazing of a run it has been then to face the reality of where we are today.

Superbowl 49 would of killed any teams run of greatness tbh. It is the anomaly loss that even the most mentally strong cannot get over.

irfuben32

Reaction score
How many of the players wanted Bevell fired?

you can't go to war with a leader you don't believe in

RiverDog

Reaction score
irfuben32":8yp0lvd8 said:

I have no doubt that keeping Bevell hurt the locker room. I called on Pete to fire Bevell the week after the SB. There are some decisions that are so momentous and carry such grave consequences that getting them wrong has to roll heads. I fully understand why Pete didn't fire Bevell, and a part of me greatly admires Pete for standing by his man and taking the blame for him. I wish more people that hold positions of authority would show the degree of trust that Pete has shown in Bevell.

The problem is that's not how the locker room saw it, or rather is likely to have seen it. The way they look at it, or at least the way people on the lower end of the pecking order sees similar situations, is that if one of them were to make a grievous mistake like Bevell did, they'd ship their arse out of town by the quickest means possible. They see it as, to use my workplace's terminology, one suit covering for another suit.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Stop being a bunch of fannies.

I've never been more pumped for a game. Thursday, bring it on.

This isn't over.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RiverDog":3cse2x67 said:
irfuben32":3cse2x67 said:

I have no doubt that keeping Bevell hurt the locker room. I called on Pete to fire Bevell the week after the SB. There are some decisions that are so momentous and carry such grave consequences that getting them wrong has to roll heads. I fully understand why Pete didn't fire Bevell, and a part of me greatly admires Pete for standing by his man and taking the blame for him. I wish more people that hold positions of authority would show the degree of trust that Pete has shown in Bevell.

The problem is that's not how the locker room saw it, or rather is likely to have seen it. The way they look at it, or at least the way people on the lower end of the pecking order sees similar situations, is that if one of them were to make a grievous mistake like Bevell did, they'd ship their arse out of town by the quickest means possible. They see it as, to use my workplace's terminology, one suit covering for another suit.
Myself and Scottmojo are two others that said Bev had to go for the sake of the locker room. I remember you doing so as well now that you mention it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":ri6dwzdv said:
RiverDog":ri6dwzdv said:
irfuben32":ri6dwzdv said:

Myself and Scottmojo are two others that said Bev had to go for the sake of the locker room. I remember you doing so as well now that you mention it.

Thanks for remembering. Sometimes I get the feeling that there's so much traffic in here that my comments get lost in the crowd. Your comment has sustained me! :D

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
IndyHawk84":37kmldvh said:
Gentlemen I am here to say....the special Seahawks we knew. The potential legacy run this team "could have" been. Guys, those Seahawks we knew. The corpse is still lying on the field where SB 49 happened. The head is mounted on the wall in Tom Brady's sports den.

Not a troll post by any means. Just calling it how I see it. Superbowl 49 ended this team mentally, and with it....everything special this run could have been. The wheels are coming off week by week, and we reinsert ourselves in the medicore pack of the NFL.

Damn it

This is stupid and it is not how football works at the pro level. There are ups and downs in the NFL. Just the way it is.

OP
OP
I

IndyHawk84

Reaction score
HawkNuts":582xremk said:
IndyHawk84":582xremk said:
Gentlemen I am here to say....the special Seahawks we knew. The potential legacy run this team "could have" been. Guys, those Seahawks we knew. The corpse is still lying on the field where SB 49 happened. The head is mounted on the wall in Tom Brady's sports den.

Not a troll post by any means. Just calling it how I see it. Superbowl 49 ended this team mentally, and with it....everything special this run could have been. The wheels are coming off week by week, and we reinsert ourselves in the medicore pack of the NFL.

Damn it

This is stupid and it is not how football works at the pro level. There are ups and downs in the NFL. Just the way it is.

Just for clarification I don't want this to be the case. However I am going to call it like I see it. You say this is "stupid, and not how football works."

Ok you have a different view, thats cool...that is what makes this board interesting. All I ask is tell me why this isn't the case. I will happily back up my point.

The Core leadership of this team is in disgust to a certain level with this team. Bennett basically made himself report to camp he stated. Kam only reported out of guilt of not playing with his teammates. There are legit issues with this crew that a simple butt slap or bro hug is going to hash out.

The Seahawks have to prove to themselves and this fanbase that the special form they can play in isn't a corpse on the field where the SB took place. This team has shown nothing, but time after time that they are not mentally strong enough to close out big games this season. This is the norm and the reality as it stands.

Again for clarification, I want to be wrong about this. Let the Seahawks prove me wrong. Until then, this is the reality.

seattlesportsfan24

Reaction score
My question is: why does every game need to be looked at as a part of some master plan? Why does it matter what kind of legacy we leave? and why do we care how a few frustrating losses to talented teams affect the 'legacy'?

Recall the 2010 season. Who here cared that we finished 7-9 and were the laughingstock of the playoffs? I sure didn't. I didn't care that we were an untalented team that had no shot at the Super Bowl. I just loved watching us clinch a playoff spot in week 17 and get to play a bonus football game with a home playoff atmosphere.

Emotions to wins and losses are very relative. With a crappy team the wins are thrilling and the losses are expected. When a team is good and used to winning the losses sting more and the wins are far less magical (recall this website's reaction after shutting out Chicago).

I don't mind the legacy dying because now we can be an underdog again. Maybe y'all disagree, but I think that's the most fun mentality to have

Maybe the LOB is dead. Maybe Lynch's career is effectively over. Maybe we will finish 5-11 this year.

But maybe the Legion will return someday with a ferocity never seen before. Maybe Lynch will struggle this year, causing many to write him off, but in the playoffs will turn in one of the greatest runs ever seen to win us a game. Maybe we miss the playoffs but next year's rookie class reignites the fire beneath this team in 2016.

The greatest storylines are those you never see coming, and lately we've been expecting the stories of past years to continue. This team will continue to dismay us, and to amaze us as long as they exist. All we can do is appreciate and remember the joyous moments they bring us and look forward to the next ones, whenever they may come.

HawkerD

Reaction score
IndyHawk84":2g78sqja said:

Damn it
100% agreed