The Legacy of Jake Browning

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

goseahawks2012":1z4q20bp said:
DomeHawk":1z4q20bp said:
Then compare the great pro prospect Justin Herbert to Jake.

Jake: 65% (when taking out his freshman year)

Herbert: 62.7% (three years)

So based upon equal stats for three yrs Jake has a better passing percentage that Minshew and Herbert.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... ert-1.html

You compare Browning stats to Gardner Minshew and Justin Herbert like it's a fair comparison but let me ask you did either of those guys have a number 1 defense or a thousand yard rusher to lean on? All 4 years Browning has been a starter he had had a number 1 defense and a thousand yard rusher. Speaking as a husky fan, that is what frustrates me, all the pieces were there to be a title contender except for the QB position where we got mediocre play. I don't blame Jake, he is what he is, I blame Jonathan Smith and Chris Peterson who whiffed at QB recruiting for 2 years straight which allowed Jake to have no competition and no one to push him.

I compared their passing stats which has absolutely NOTHING to do with defense.

As for rushing, Herbert had a 1000 yd rusher this year, a 1475 rusher last year, and a 1100 yd rusher his first year. The Cougs have the air raid passing attack so there is NO context there.

Jake gets all this criticism but name me one Husky quarterback that was better in the last 15 yrs. In fact, with a career rating of 151 there hasn't been one as good for over 70 years!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W ... arterbacks

sdog1981

Reaction score
It will be a legacy of failure. He played like trash in both Pac-12 title games. Could not pull out the win in close games at Oregon and Stanford in back to back seasons.

He will also be remembered as the guy who let some very talented Husky defenses down.

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
DomeHawk":k1s3oomn said:
goseahawks2012":k1s3oomn said:
DomeHawk":k1s3oomn said:

So based upon equal stats for three yrs Jake has a better passing percentage that Minshew and Herbert.

You compare Browning stats to Gardner Minshew and Justin Herbert like it's a fair comparison but let me ask you did either of those guys have a number 1 defense or a thousand yard rusher to lean on? All 4 years Browning has been a starter he had had a number 1 defense and a thousand yard rusher. Speaking as a husky fan, that is what frustrates me, all the pieces were there to be a title contender except for the QB position where we got mediocre play. I don't blame Jake, he is what he is, I blame Jonathan Smith and Chris Peterson who whiffed at QB recruiting for 2 years straight which allowed Jake to have no competition and no one to push him.

As for rushing, Herbert had a 1000 yd rusher this year, a 1475 rusher last year, and a 1100 yd rusher his first year. The Cougs have the air raid passing attack so there is NO context there.

Jake gets all this criticism but name me one Husky quarterback that was better in the last 15 yrs. In fact, with a career rating of 151 there hasn't been one as good for over 70 years!

You compare the comp % and YPA of Jake Browning to Gardner Minshew and Justin Herbert like it's a fair comparison but you know it's not because both Justin and Gardner had to throw the ball a lot more because neither of them had a 1,000 yard rusher to lean on or a number 1 defense that would give them the ball back. But since you want to compare numbers let's compare Jake Browning Freshman numbers with his Senior numbers:

Comp %: Freshman Year: 63.3 Senior Year: 65%
Yards: Freshman Year: 2995 Senior Year: 2879
TD to INT: Freshman Year: 18 to 10 Senior Year 18 to 10

Jake browning literally regressed back to his freshman year. If you watched him play, you would have thought he was a freshman. Made absolutely the dumbest decision's when under pressure, would constantly throw the ball up when under distress, rarely threw the ball away, never hit WR's in stride, was afraid to make throws if the WR was not wide open and constantly missed WR running open. There is a reason why Coach Pete benched him during the Cal game. Only problem is that UW whiffed in QB recruiting 2 years straight so Jake never had any competition and we were stuck with Jake going out there.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

goseahawks2012":199hfpf8 said:
DomeHawk":199hfpf8 said:
goseahawks2012":199hfpf8 said:
DomeHawk":199hfpf8 said:

You compare the comp % and YPA of Jake Browning to Gardner Minshew and Justin Herbert like it's a fair comparison but you know it's not because both Justin and Gardner had to throw the ball a lot more because neither of them had a 1,000 yard rusher to lean on or a number 1 defense that would give them the ball back. But since you want to compare numbers let's compare Jake Browning Freshman numbers with his Senior numbers:

Jake browning literally regressed back to his freshman year. If you watched him play, you would have thought he was a freshman. Made absolutely the dumbest decision's when under pressure, would constantly throw the ball up when under distress, rarely threw the ball away, never hit WR's in stride, was afraid to make throws if the WR was not wide open and constantly missed WR running open. There is a reason why Coach Pete benched him during the Cal game. Only problem is that UW whiffed in QB recruiting 2 years straight so Jake never had any competition and we were stuck with Jake going out there.

His dumbest decisions under pressure were due to his competitive nature, he was trying to make a play. Russell Wilson does the same thing sometimes.

As for his senior year being the same, if you know anything about football you would know that 65% is just about the threshold for ANY quarterback AND he didn't have the receivers he had in his previous three years.

People don't know about his operation either, it was much more invasive than was let on on. In fact, they had to shave his shoulder bone socket just to get it to work.

But whatever, your need to denigrate what was a very successful college football career belies any real knowledge of what it takes to be a football player. These are human beings, not robots. Try and hold yourself to the same standard you do them, you will fail every single day.

getnasty

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3k8nd7vk said:
goseahawks2012":3k8nd7vk said:
DomeHawk":3k8nd7vk said:
goseahawks2012":3k8nd7vk said:

His dumbest decisions under pressure were due to his competitive nature, he was trying to make a play. Russell Wilson does the same thing sometimes.

As for his senior year being the same, if you know anything about football you would know that 65% is just about the threshold for ANY quarterback AND he didn't have the receivers he had in his previous three years.

People don't know about his operation either, it was much more invasive that was let on on. In fact, they had to shave his shoulder socket just to get it to work.

But whatever, your need to denigrate what was a very successful college football career belies any real knowledge of what it takes to be a football player. These are human beings, not robots. Try and hold yourself to the same standard you do them, you will fail every single day.

Don't take things so personal buddy, it's ok to say he was an average QB that won a lot of games, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Nobody hates the guy, he's just like the 20th best quarterback that ever played at UW.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

getnasty":3offwryy said:
DomeHawk":3offwryy said:
goseahawks2012":3offwryy said:
DomeHawk":3offwryy said:

People don't know about his operation either, it was much more invasive that was let on on. In fact, they had to shave his shoulder socket just to get it to work.

Don't take things so personal buddy, it's ok to say he was an average QB that won a lot of games, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Nobody hates the guy, he's just like the 20th best quarterback that ever played at UW.

And yet he has the highest passing efficiency rating of any Husky QB in the last 70 years, lol.

getnasty

Reaction score
DomeHawk":200yso97 said:
getnasty":200yso97 said:
DomeHawk":200yso97 said:
goseahawks2012":200yso97 said:

And yet he has the highest passing efficiency rating of any Husky QB in the last 70 years, lol.

Where do you rank him in terms of all time husky quarterbacks. Must be number 1 with such a great passing efficiency rating. Watch a game, watch the Pac 12 championship game, watch the WSU game, UW isn't winning because of Jake Browning they won despite him. Even Brownings own mom wouldn't defend him the way you are.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

getnasty":18jugu6r said:
DomeHawk":18jugu6r said:
getnasty":18jugu6r said:
DomeHawk":18jugu6r said:

Where do you rank him in terms of all time husky quarterbacks. Must be number 1 with such a great passing efficiency rating. Watch a game, watch the Pac 12 championship game, watch the WSU game, UW isn't winning because of Jake Browning they won despite him. Even Brownings own mom wouldn't defend him the way you are.

You don't know what you're talking about, I don't play that game rating the QB's, it's stupid and former Husky QB's would tell you so themselves. There was a time where we had several QB's in the NFL but the only one that was really successful was Warren Moon but he wasn't anything really great at UW (49%), he just had the physical tools to go much further. Another thing those QB's would tell you is that Jake had a great career and the criticism directed at him is just more pathetic fan behavior by people that never did a damn thing in sports but feel free to proclaim themselves experts.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Chris Peterson has made a LIVING out of making middle of the pack QBs look great. Browning is well coached. So were Zabransky and K. Moore.

[youtube]h7aaiJ-PH5Y[/youtube]

justafan

Reaction score
People who watched Moon play here know he couldn't play for Peterson.It was a struggle watching him sometimes. People didn't expect much back then so 8-4 or whatever and a Rose Bowl win was special. I still think winning the Rose Bowl is special. It's been a great 4 for Husky fans.

chris98251

Reaction score
Different types of offenses , not as sophisticated route trees and defenders could mug a guy off the line, completion percentages are going to be much lower. It is like walking through a neighborhood, one is Beverly hills and one is in the seedy side of Oakland, where do you think you stand a higher chance of getting mugged? Different environments for both situations so you can't compare them apples to apples.

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
DomeHawk":fhexk4nm said:
goseahawks2012":fhexk4nm said:
DomeHawk":fhexk4nm said:
goseahawks2012":fhexk4nm said:

Did you really just say his dumb decisions are because he tries to hard? So I guess we should just give him a pass and not expect him to learn and improve his decision making because he tries hard. It's clear you are delusional and have this weird hard on for Jake so I will end this pointless conversation

getnasty

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1fawws86 said:
getnasty":1fawws86 said:
DomeHawk":1fawws86 said:
getnasty":1fawws86 said:

You don't know what you're talking about, I don't play that game rating the QB's, it's stupid and former Husky QB's would tell you so themselves. There was a time where we had several QB's in the NFL but the only one that was really successful was Warren Moon but he wasn't anything really great at UW (49%), he just had the physical tools to go much further. Another thing those QB's would tell you is that Jake had a great career and the criticism directed at him is just more pathetic fan behavior by people that never did a damn thing in sports but feel free to proclaim themselves experts.

I look forward to former Husky quarterbacks telling me things, and it's funny how I've never done a damn thing in sports so I can't be critical but you who have also never done a damn thing can pull random numbers out of your ass and your an expert. It's ok for someone to disagree with you, there's people that think Russell Wilson sucks so I can tell you there are a ton of people that think Jake Browning is as middle of the road as they come.

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
getnasty":mqu0j4q0 said:
DomeHawk":mqu0j4q0 said:
getnasty":mqu0j4q0 said:
DomeHawk":mqu0j4q0 said:

I look forward to former Husky quarterbacks telling me things, and it's funny how I've never done a damn thing in sports so I can't be critical but you who have also never done a damn thing can pull random numbers out of your ass and your an expert. It's ok for someone to disagree with you, there's people that think Russell Wilson sucks so I can tell you there are a ton of people that think Jake Browning is as middle of the road as they come.

What's funny is that Huge Millen who is a former husky criticized Browning and said he wasn't playing well. He also said that is what frustrates a lot of former husky players that he knows because they have a number defense and a great running game but the QB position is what is holding them back from being a title contender.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

goseahawks2012":38kazpgt said:
getnasty":38kazpgt said:
DomeHawk":38kazpgt said:
getnasty":38kazpgt said:

What's funny is that Huge Millen who is a former husky criticized Browning and said he wasn't playing well. He also said that is what frustrates a lot of former husky players that he knows because they have a number defense and a great running game but the QB position is what is holding them back from being a title contender.

The great Hugh Millen? Now that's funny. This is the same guy who also said that Russell Wilson will never be anything but a backup in the NFL when he was drafted.

And you don't seem to know a damn thing about Husky history. Some of the better quarterbacks we have had have had historically great defenses and great running back but their numbers don't compare to Jake's. How is that?

Or maybe you haven't heard of: Corey Dillon, Napoleon Kaufman, Chris Polk, Greg Lewis, Rashaan Shehee, Louis Rankin, Willie Hurst, just to name a few.

Too funny.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

getnasty":21fm8ds2 said:
DomeHawk":21fm8ds2 said:
getnasty":21fm8ds2 said:
DomeHawk":21fm8ds2 said:

The stats are published stats, not pulled out of anyone's ass. Passing efficiency stats are objective unlike your "opinion" which is completely subjective AND yes you have a right to disagree no matter how completely ridiculous that opinion. And yes again, there are a "ton of people" whose opinion is just as ridiculous as yours is. Congratulations.

BTW, I have done a "damn" thing.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

goseahawks2012":2zsy70rg said:
. but the QB position is what is holding them back from being a title contender.

That's just ridiculous. What is holding UW and about 110 of the country's college team from being title contenders is talent. UW is just climbing out of the depths and is only recently getting good recruiting classes and to date, no top-10 classes.

When we played Alabama we had the 24th ranked talent composite, Alabama had the #1 ranked talent composite.

This year we have the 20th ranked talent composite and Ohio St. has the #1 ranked talent composite.

They simply are able to recruit better, bigger, and faster players than anyone else.

Until you are able to have consistent top-10 recruiting classes, and probably top-5 classes, you have very little chance at being a title contender and that is proven by statistics.

The east coast teams will always have an advantage because there's just way more population there. The only team on the west coast that seems to have a real chance is USC with the greater LA area having upwards of 25 million people.

But go ahead and spin this into some other ridiculous argument, I can't wait.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

chris98251":3l1mwb7e said:
Different types of offenses , not as sophisticated route trees and defenders could mug a guy off the line, completion percentages are going to be much lower. It is like walking through a neighborhood, one is Beverly hills and one is in the seedy side of Oakland, where do you think you stand a higher chance of getting mugged? Different environments for both situations so you can't compare them apples to apples.

Your reputation for making bad analogies seems to have no bounds, lol.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Something that you whack jobs seem to forget, I am not saying that Jake was the greatest UW quarterback but he does have the highest passing efficiency rating of any UW quarterback.

What I am saying though, is that he had a great college career and that while there is some justifiable criticism, most of the criticism is completely over the top.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2ahsz78k said:
Something that you whack jobs seem to forget, I am not saying that Jake was the greatest UW quarterback but he does have the highest passing efficiency rating of any UW quarterback.

What I am saying though, is that he had a great college career and that while there is some justifiable criticism, most of the criticism is completely over the top.

He’s another Coach P product. I don’t see him being competitive at the next level.

Latest posts