The Mariners look to have added Cade Marlowe to the playoff roster

ivotuk

Reaction score
Cade Marlowe is added to the roster, and I feel like we are going to see him a few times for the Mariners this series.

Marlowe is in to replace Sam Haggerty as a speed option with good defense. For those who aren’t that familiar with Marlowe, he has been making waves in the prospect world because of the stats he has put up over the last two seasons.

2021 – .275/.368/.566. 26 HR/24 SB (34 G in A, 71 G in A+, and 1 game in AAA)

2022 – .287/.377/.487. 23 HR/42 SB (120 G in AA, 13 in AAA)

He’s a good bat, a good defender, and has solid, real speed. Those are all things that the Mariners definitely need out of their outfield right now.
Taylor Trammell has been a good prospect for a long time but hasn’t proven much in his limited time up with the Mariners. If Servais doesn’t think that Trammell can do it, Cade Marlowe might be a solid option to play some left field in this series.

Personally, I think it’s actually a solid idea to START Cade Marlowe in LF in game 1 or 2. Frazier hasn’t been good, and neither have Torrens or Toro. I know the latter 2 have come up big lately, but I don’t know that you should trust either of them in this series.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Write-up on Marlowe from mlb.com/prospects:

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 45 | Run: 55 | Arm: 45 | Field: 45 | Overall: 45

Marlowe wowed everyone in the Mariners’ front office -- and even himself -- with a stellar 2021 in which he hit .275/.368/.566 (.935 OPS) with 26 homers, and he was the only Minor Leaguer to drive in more than 100 runs. He also stole 24 bases, making him the first Seattle prospect with a 20-20 season since Jarred Kelenic in 2019. For all those efforts, he was named the Mariners' Ken Griffey Jr. Minor League Hitter of the Year for ‘21.

Marlowe has had as rapid a rise as any player in Seattle's system. He advanced from Low-A Modesto to Triple-A Tacoma last season, just two years after the club selected him in the 20th round out of the University of West Georgia, where he was on a fast track to becoming a doctor after graduating cum laude with a 3.87 GPA from the University of West Georgia. Yet he just kept hitting.

From the left side of the plate, Marlowe has continued to add strength to his 6-foot-1, 210-pound frame, which explains the power spike. He’s still working on translating that athleticism to his glove in the outfield. On the older side, entering his age-24 season, Marlowe’s ceiling is likely a fourth or fifth outfielder in the big leagues, which perhaps could come sooner than later.

sutz

Reaction score
Personally, I haven't heard of him, but if Jerry and Scott think he can help, welcome aboard!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Write-up on Marlowe from mlb.com/prospects:

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 45 | Run: 55 | Arm: 45 | Field: 45 | Overall: 45

Marlowe wowed everyone in the Mariners’ front office -- and even himself -- with a stellar 2021 in which he hit .275/.368/.566 (.935 OPS) with 26 homers, and he was the only Minor Leaguer to drive in more than 100 runs. He also stole 24 bases, making him the first Seattle prospect with a 20-20 season since Jarred Kelenic in 2019. For all those efforts, he was named the Mariners' Ken Griffey Jr. Minor League Hitter of the Year for ‘21.

Marlowe has had as rapid a rise as any player in Seattle's system. He advanced from Low-A Modesto to Triple-A Tacoma last lseason, just two years after the club selected him in the 20th round out of the University of West Georgia, where he was on a fast track to becoming a doctor after graduating cum laude with a 3.87 GPA from the University of West Georgia. Yet he just kept hitting.

From the left side of the plate, Marlowe has continued to add strength to his 6-foot-1, 210-pound frame, which explains the power spike. He’s still working on translating that athleticism to his glove in the outfield. On the older side, entering his age-24 season, Marlowe’s ceiling is likely a fourth or fifth outfielder in the big leagues, which perhaps could come sooner than later.
If he is hitting 25+ home runs a year, their assesment of him being a 4th or 5th outfielder is way too low. 25+ home runs with plus speed and good defense is a starter on just about any team in MLB.

sutz

Reaction score
If he is hitting 25+ home runs a year, their assesment of him being a 4th or 5th outfielder is way too low. 25+ home runs with plus speed and good defense is a starter on just about any team in MLB.
Yabbut, does 25 dingers in AA/AAA equate to 25 in the majors? I don't think so. ;)

Sounds like an intriguing prospect with skills the team could take advantage of, though.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yabbut, does 25 dingers in AA/AAA equate to 25 in the majors? I don't think so. ;)

Sounds like an intriguing prospect with skills the team could take advantage of, though.
Not necessarily, but that matters on the player. Sounds like he’s a late bloomer type, so maybe that 25 Homer mark is more sustainable.