The massively underappreciated Brian Schottenheimer

John63

Reaction score
Jville":1mlhol6e said:
By way of observation, these are among the same words and phrases we saw during the Chuck Knox era.

"A stubborn headed refusal to ...............

" ....... you have to have an imaginative modern offense that isn't ..........

" ...........and that's by having a boneheaded offensive philosophy .............

"It is beyond obvious, the offense has to get more creative ..............

" ......... but with the offense on a tight leash......................

" .......... performing with one arm tied behind their backs ......

Many find a run 1st philosophy intolerable because they are not entertained. Instead, they are all in on a pass first offense because of individual preference. Personal preferences drive much of what is posted here.

not for me Winning is what drives my posts. We got lucky once, it has happened only 2 time sin the modern era, we will not again unless we open up the offense, adn stop being predictable and utilize our best weapon, which is our QB.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
In my non-expert opinion, I think that we were light in offensive personnel, not enough receiving targets for Wilson to get into a "Just Sling It" mode, and I believe Pete + Schotty + Solari knew that, and that is why they got hot & heavy in the Draft at bringing in all those Receivers, and bolstered the O-Line.
I don't think that Pete is distrustful of Wilson's capabilities, quite the contrary, I just think he knows that Russ needs more targets to throw to.
When your targets are having a problem getting freed up, your options are limited, so, like it or not, you have to pound the rock, to set up the pass.....IF you want "Balance", you have to build it.

Tical21

Reaction score
our passing game produced negative 20 yards in the first quarter. Yet our running game was averaging 4 YPC. Carson only had six carries in the first half. The offense was abysmal. Russ couldn't convert a 3rd down (granted, we weren't giving him many 3rd and 2 situations). We barely ran any plays. And you all wanted to abandon Chris Carson after 6 carries? Scrap the gameplan that had been working all year and got us the lead on the road in a playoff game. Let's just scrap everything and open up the offense?

Everybody says they would have opened up the offense in the playoff game. When? At what point? I've asked this over and over again and nobody has supplied an answers. It sounds like a great theory until you actually look at the game and have to figure out what you actually would have changed.

We had the lead on the road in the playoff game in the fourth quarter. There wasn't a single player outside of maybe some receivers that were saying "man, we need to change our philosophy and open this game up." There wasn't a single coach. Every coach and almost every player on that time were fully confident that our style was going to win, we were going to figure out how to get a few yards in the running game, and if needed, Russ would use one of his come from behind victory moments. That's our recipe, and it has worked to immense success, both in the regular and postseason. So shit off.

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":10i28h7b said:
our passing game produced negative 20 yards in the first quarter. Yet our running game was averaging 4 YPC. Carson only had six carries in the first half. The offense was abysmal. Russ couldn't convert a 3rd down (granted, we weren't giving him many 3rd and 2 situations). We barely ran any plays. And you all wanted to abandon Chris Carson after 6 carries? Scrap the gameplan that had been working all year and got us the lead on the road in a playoff game. Let's just scrap everything and open up the offense?

Everybody says they would have opened up the offense in the playoff game. When? At what point? I've asked this over and over again and nobody has supplied an answers. It sounds like a great theory until you actually look at the game and have to figure out what you actually would have changed.

We had the lead on the road in the playoff game in the fourth quarter. There wasn't a single player outside of maybe some receivers that were saying "man, we need to change our philosophy and open this game up." There wasn't a single coach. Every coach and almost every player on that time were fully confident that our style was going to win, we were going to figure out how to get a few yards in the running game, and if needed, Russ would use one of his come from behind victory moments. That's our recipe, and it has worked to immense success, both in the regular and postseason. So shit off.

so a few things:

1 and yet PC himself said he should have started throwing sooner.
2 a lead that we did not get till the 3rd qtr
3 you mention carson, and yet he avg 1.7 ypc in that game
4 you argument Carson only got 6 carries in the 1st half forgets the carries the others got and the fact he had more than 6, he had 8.
5 that negative 20 yards passing in the 1st qtr was bolstered by a loss of 8 yards by Carson
6 Wilson only through 2 passes in the 1st Qtr 1 incomplete and 1 to Carson for a loss of 8 so not sure were the negative 20 is coming from unless you are counting sacks and even with that it was 15 not 20.
7 we avg 3.33 ypc in 1st qtr not 4

I can go on but I think that makes the point that being most of you facts are not correct

and FYI I love Carson, but please lets not act like the run game was getting us anyplace it was not.

Tical21

Reaction score
Ok, 3.33 and 8 carries, whatever. The point is, neither was the passing game. You fail to mention the sacks and penalties.

When would you have abandoned the game plan and opened it up? Don’t worry, I’ll wait.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Tical21":2dycej4v said:
Ok, 3.33 and 8 carries, whatever. The point is, neither was the passing game. You fail to mention the sacks and penalties.

When would you have abandoned the game plan and opened it up? Don’t worry, I’ll wait.

You act like it’s a binary situation. Either you pass or run exclusively. Nobody has suggested that. Our offense is easily scoutable and basically doesn’t even try to be creative and score in the first half. The Wilson heroics you mention earlier have more to do with a failure to score early. The team acts like it’s a boxing match feeling out the opponent in the early rounds instead of knocking them on their tails early. Why don’t we try that for a change? Let’s not let poor teams like the Cardinals hang around and gain confidence and hope. Let’s take that away early so they go through the motions down 2-3 scores in the second half instead of us playing from behind. This is an offense issue that is far from fixed.

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":yc7ynhyj said:

Don't need to wait I would have done it the same time PC said he should have 2nd qtr. FYI I am not saying give up the run, I am saying pass more and change the pattern. You complain about the limited carries Carson got 8, Well Wilson had 2 passes in the 1st qtr. FYI big difference between 4ypc and 3.3. ypc, 4 ypc can get you a first down with 3 downs, 3.3 can't. I don't need to mention the sacks or penalties this was your post that had the incorrect information. If you wanted to include that you should have. Or we can also mention the loss yards runs, or no yard runs, again Carson avg 1.5 ypc

Since you want to play that game, You failed to mention in every drive in the 1st qtr we ran 2 of 3 times, and in all but 1 it was run, run pass. Or that our first 2 scoring drive started with a pass, or that 3 of our 4 scoring drives started with a pass. You see I can play that game too. But none of that had anything to do with your post with all of its mis information.

John63

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":c2ez0x9a said:
Tical21":c2ez0x9a said:

You act like it’s a binary situation. Either you pass or run exclusively. Nobody has suggested that. Our offense is easily scoutable and basically doesn’t even try to be creative and score in the first half. The Wilson heroics you mention earlier have more to do with a failure to score early. The team acts like it’s a boxing match feeling out the opponent in the early rounds instead of knocking them on their tails early. Why don’t we try that for a change? Let’s not let poor teams like the Cardinals hang around and gain confidence and hope. Let’s take that away early so they go through the motions down 2-3 scores in the second half instead of us playing from behind. This is an offense issue that is far from fixed.

exactly we went run, run, pass more than any team in the league, between 65-75%. That is to predictable, especially when you have a QB the caliber of Wilson.

Seymour

Reaction score
John63":3bkx1ue2 said:
Tical21":3bkx1ue2 said:

so a few things:

1 and yet PC himself said he should have started throwing sooner.
2 a lead that we did not get till the 3rd qtr
3 you mention carson, and yet he avg 1.7 ypc in that game
4 you argument Carson only got 6 carries in the 1st half forgets the carries the others got and the fact he had more than 6, he had 8.
5 that negative 20 yards passing in the 1st qtr was bolstered by a loss of 8 yards by Carson
6 Wilson only through 2 passes in the 1st Qtr 1 incomplete and 1 to Carson for a loss of 8 so not sure were the negative 20 is coming from unless you are counting sacks and even with that it was 15 not 20.
7 we avg 3.33 ypc in 1st qtr not 4

I can go on but I think that makes the point that being most of you facts are not correct

and FYI I love Carson, but please lets not act like the run game was getting us anyplace it was not.

LOL great post!
Funny how Tical and all his incorrect "facts" are all leaned to his side of the debate. That is not by chance either. :roll:

xray

Reaction score
Tical21":2fshemm1 said:
John63":2fshemm1 said:
this is simple

70% of the time we went run, run, pass. enough said. That has to change. We led the league in 3rd and long and this was the reason why.
Why the heck would you change? Tired of success?

As shown in last years playoff game with Dallas ; if the offense can't or won't evolve during the course of a game , they cost themselves losses . IMO...if the Hawks roll out the same offense this season , their opponents will be waiting for it and they probably won't see the post season . One big reason that Belichick and the Patriots have been so successful is that they play every opponent differently every week . Never being predictable . So what would I change this season ?
I hope the Hawks don't telegraph their offensive game plan every week by being so predictable .

Tical21

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":5i8fnizj said:
Tical21":5i8fnizj said:

We have a conservative gameplan, which we have used incredibly effectively. If our hurt offense didn't play a crap game on the road against a good opponent, this is a foolish conversation.

Tical21

Reaction score
John63":1d1x5v6w said:
Tical21":1d1x5v6w said:

Don't need to wait I would have done it the same time PC said he should have 2nd qtr. FYI I am not saying give up the run, I am saying pass more and change the pattern. You complain about the limited carries Carson got 8, Well Wilson had 2 passes in the 1st qtr. FYI big difference between 4ypc and 3.3. ypc, 4 ypc can get you a first down with 3 downs, 3.3 can't. I don't need to mention the sacks or penalties this was your post that had the incorrect information. If you wanted to include that you should have. Or we can also mention the loss yards runs, or no yard runs, again Carson avg 1.5 ypc

Since you want to play that game, You failed to mention in every drive in the 1st qtr we ran 2 of 3 times, and in all but 1 it was run, run pass. Or that our first 2 scoring drive started with a pass, or that 3 of our 4 scoring drives started with a pass. You see I can play that game too. But none of that had anything to do with your post with all of its mis information.
Don't bring coach speak into this.

So, in the second quarter, when our passing game has done nothing, given us zero third down completions and Chris Carson had gotten like 5 carries, you would have abandoned the gameplan that gave us success all year? I can guarantee you there wasn't a player or coach on that sideline that would have agreed with you, outside of maybe some wide receivers. I'll try to track down the stats, but there was a great breakdown by Seahawks Run!. Do you think there is maybe a reason that there were some successful first down passes? Any correlation?

We open our gameplan up, bad shit happens. Repeatedly. It's nothing I am ever interested in seeing again. We found our winning formula. I'm sorry that we had a banged up o-line and were up against a good defense, but opening up the offense is not, ever, for this team, the right answer.

Tical21

Reaction score
John63":2wgtwlnm said:
JayhawkMike":2wgtwlnm said:
Tical21":2wgtwlnm said:

exactly we went run, run, pass more than any team in the league, between 65-75%. That is to predictable, especially when you have a QB the caliber of Wilson.
Why is that too predictable? You don't like success? You don't like Russell having the most efficient season of his career?

olyfan63

Reaction score
scutterhawk":10whyalz said:
In my non-expert opinion, I think that we were light in offensive personnel, not enough receiving targets for Wilson to get into a "Just Sling It" mode, and I believe Pete + Schotty + Solari knew that, and that is why they got hot & heavy in the Draft at bringing in all those Receivers, and bolstered the O-Line.
I don't think that Pete is distrustful of Wilson's capabilities, quite the contrary, I just think he knows that Russ needs more targets to throw to.
When your targets are having a problem getting freed up, your options are limited, so, like it or not, you have to pound the rock, to set up the pass.....IF you want "Balance", you have to build it.

I've somewhat forgotten the injury specifics, but Sweezy and Fluker were both gimpy for that game and we'd had no Jordan Simmons for several weeks. So our inside running guard play wasn't getting the needed push to create holes and have more yards before contact for the RBs. On one hand, this scenario is foreseeable during the preceding week for Schottenheimer, and a ready-to-go Plan B would have been in order. On the other hand, what offensive scheme CAN you run successfully with a gimpy OL? They're gonna suck in Pass Pro also. All that was also Mr. DBevell's problem here for years, except Bevell had a crap OL more than an injured OL and sometimes both. Well, about the only thing that's ever worked in those conditions is to put the ball in Russell's hands and let him figure out how to avoid unblocked pass rushers and do his Houdini act, and change that up by handing the ball to Marshawn Lynch every other play or so and let him drag tacklers for a few yards. That was when Russell was younger and a little faster, enough to mix in some Read-Option, and somehow that offense got us to two Super Bowls in a row. Oh yeah, that, and our #1 historic defense.

Carson couldn't quite replicate playoff Lynch in that game, gimpy OL and all, and throwing on 3rd down was failing miserably.

Receiving targets?
Baldwin and Lockett were the only two Seahawks receivers the few seasons that could create separation consistently, even against teams with good DBs... DMoore and JBrown, not so much as Baldwin and Lockett. Kinda like Jermaine Kearse had to get schemed open, didn't get a lot of separation on his own. And we know Russell is very reluctant to sling it to a target who isn't clearly open, with limited exceptions for some types of deep throws with single coverage. But we did have both Baldwin and Lockett available. The Cowboys wildcard game scenario is where a DK Metcalf could have been a game-changer.

To me the real issue was that the offense gave the defense so little rest that the defense was worn out from late 3rd quarter on. That was when our offense needed to produce, get some yards, get the D some rest. The Cowboys OL and Zeke took over the game from that point on, with a couple long drives, against our gassed defense.

Pete, John, and Brian clearly took the lessons from the playoff loss to the Cowboys into the draft and free agency. Their off-season moves seem like the kind that will turn a L like the Wildcard game to a W. G Phil Haynes? Great pick! Mike Iupati? Hope he's got something left in the tank. Don't forget our road-grader man Jordan Simmons. Can't wait to see what DK Metcalf can do in this offense. But he only runs 3 routes!! Who cares, those 3 routes will terrorize opposing defenses. We'll see what Gary Jennings and maybe even John Ursua can do. More targets who can get separation? Yes please!!

Really, the problem was the Seahawks just weren't good enough overall, deep enough overall, offense and defense*, to beat a decent Cowboys team on the road, much less beat the Rams at all. Looks like Pete and John, no doubt with input from Schotty, are doing their best to fix the offense AND the defense, and build quality depth across the board like our SB48-49 years. OL depth cost us that game, and possibly DL and LB depth, and relative lack of pass rush when it mattered.

Think about it... our two Super Bowl L's were heavily influenced by DB depth issues. Etric Pruitt? (2005); Tharald Simon? (2014), plus losing Cliff Avril to concussion. A couple better players available to step in, and we are discussing our 3-rings-so-far tradition. Front office matters so much. Carroll leaving Marcus Burley off the SB49 game-day actives list, in favor of Simon? Insanity, after Jeremy Lane went down.

Our offensive game plan, our scheme, overall was good enough to win that road Wildcard Playoff game. Our available healthy players weren't good enough. Our defense wasn't good enough when it mattered. Even so, we had a 4th quarter lead on the road. One stop, one drive. Really, 2 plays away from a W. Pete and John, with input from Schotty and Norton, have already given us their answer by what they've done in the draft and free agency.

Can we just get started with training camp already??!!

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":1m2id7ea said:
JayhawkMike":1m2id7ea said:
Tical21":1m2id7ea said:

We have a conservative gameplan, which we have used incredibly effectively. If our hurt offense didn't play a crap game on the road against a good opponent, this is a foolish conversation.

Yeah thats it forget the HC said something different, forget every expert out there said something different has to be that. Oh wait the fact show it was not that.

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":36r8ynlr said:
John63":36r8ynlr said:
Tical21":36r8ynlr said:

Don't bring coach speak into this.

So, in the second quarter, when our passing game has done nothing, given us zero third down completions and Chris Carson had gotten like 5 carries, you would have abandoned the gameplan that gave us success all year? I can guarantee you there wasn't a player or coach on that sideline that would have agreed with you, outside of maybe some wide receivers. I'll try to track down the stats, but there was a great breakdown by Seahawks Run!. Do you think there is maybe a reason that there were some successful first down passes? Any correlation?

We open our gameplan up, bad shit happens. Repeatedly. It's nothing I am ever interested in seeing again. We found our winning formula. I'm sorry that we had a banged up o-line and were up against a good defense, but opening up the offense is not, ever, for this team, the right answer.

Dont bring coach speak? well dont bring you biased BS then it goes both ways, and FY don't forget I brought real facts not the made up proven wrong ones you tried. As to the rest of your post more fact less biased speech no facts so nothing to read adn a waste of time.

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":3l5mwrpc said:
John63":3l5mwrpc said:
JayhawkMike":3l5mwrpc said:
Tical21":3l5mwrpc said:

Why is that too predictable? You don't like success? You don't like Russell having the most efficient season of his career?

You can't be that naive, can you? Did it get us the the SB? Did it get us out of the first round? NO.

FYI guess what let me help you

his stats last year
3448 yards, 8.2 ypa, 65.6 compt%, 35 tds, 7 ints, 110.9 QB rating and 376 rushing o tds.

Now another year
4024 yards,8.3 ypa, 68.1 complt%, 34 tds, 8 int, 110.1 Qb rating, 553 yards rushing, and 4 tds

Sorry to tell you, you can make a case season 2 2015 was his best. More yards, higher complt %, more rushing yards more total tds, virtual identical Qb ratings.

The difference more passing attempts, and we made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, and we ran a more pass friendly offense while still maintaining a top 3 run game and having a top 5 offense. Would have gone farther if we did not revert to our run at all cost offense.

ONCE again the FACTS will set you free, well maybe not you but anyone else.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":3gae7t1i said:
Tical21":3gae7t1i said:
John63":3gae7t1i said:
JayhawkMike":3gae7t1i said:

You can't be that naive, can you? Did it get us the the SB? Did it get us out of the first round? NO.

his stats last year
3448 yards, 8.2 ypa, 65.6 compt%, 35 tds, 7 ints, 110.9 QB rating and 376 rushing o tds.

Now another year
4024 yards,8.3 ypa, 68.1 complt%, 34 tds, 8 int, 110.1 Qb rating, 553 yards rushing, and 4 tds

Sorry to tell you, you can make a case season 2 2015 was his best. More yards, higher complt %, more rushing yards more total tds, virtual identical Qb ratings.

The difference more passing attempts, and we made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, and we ran a more pass friendly offense while still maintaining a top 3 run game and having a top 5 offense. Would have gone farther if we did not revert to our run at all cost offense.

One fact nobody wants to incorporate is was the offense balanced, was a lot of those yards in prevent defense coming from behind versus playing with a lead, was his receivers healthy or were they using bench players it can go on, why stats are not the catch all in everything.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":ekmcymqy said:
John63":ekmcymqy said:
Tical21":ekmcymqy said:
John63":ekmcymqy said:

his stats last year

Now another year

One fact nobody wants to incorporate is was the offense balanced, was a lot of those yards in prevent defense coming from behind versus playing with a lead, was his receivers healthy or were they using bench players it can go on, why stats are not the catch all in everything.

Perhaps but they are a lot better than an obviously biased stance by someone who also makes stats up. Not to mention the stats above were to show he was once again wrong about the best season. One thing I do know people trying to make you ignore, over look or minimize facts and stats know the facts are not on their side.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":202nbw46 said:
chris98251":202nbw46 said:
John63":202nbw46 said:
Tical21":202nbw46 said:

his stats last year

Now another year

Perhaps but they are a lot better than an obviously biased stance by someone who also makes stats up. Not to mention the stats above were to show he was once again wrong about the best season. One thing I do know people trying to make you ignore, over look or minimize facts and stats know the facts are not on their side.

It is harder to rate a QB when they don't have some relative consistency, such as the same OC, WR, O Line, and RB or coach. They say QB but really it's about everyone around him and how he performs with that group.

Now take him out of that constant aspect and can he adapt and make a lesser or different group function better then the last guy no matter his stats.

Kurt Warner is a good example of a QB that made a offense work in LA, could not in New York but did again in Arizona.

Latest posts