The Most Surprising Sophomore Slump

Rat

Reaction score
Damn, what happened to our All-Pro punter? Looked like he could do no wrong a year ago.

rcaido

Reaction score
flowers has been more disappointing...still early though

sutz

Reaction score
Punting from your own endline is never a good thing. We're lucky he got it out of there at all.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
His crap punt out of end zone not entirely his fault. Very short field to punt from. People act like he sucks. He is not doing as well as last year but he is still good. I say keep him.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":x1eu1rdx said:
His crap punt out of end zone not entirely his fault. Very short field to punt from. People act like he sucks. He is not doing as well as last year but he is still good. I say keep him.

It wasn't an ideal situation, but he's paid millions to at least not shank the ball there.

I'm not suggesting we cut him or anything; I'm just surprised. He seemed to be in a class of his own a year ago. Hopefully he pulls himself out of this soon, because he's a helluva weapon when he's on his game.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
sutz":2sxdwy0e said:
Punting from your own endline is never a good thing. We're lucky he got it out of there at all.

I said this same thing in the gameday forum. The run up the middle on 1st into a pile of defense and not getting some short yardage on 3rd (went for the 14 yard pass to metcalf) were the mistakes the hawks made. a one step punt from the back of the endzone is a "just get it out" type of punt. playcalling was the fault in that series.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Anybody else see the gunner trying to get Dickson's attention. Would have been a simple pitch and catch to get the first down.

hawksbydesign

Reaction score
HawkGA":1dxtkrnu said:
Anybody else see the gunner trying to get Dickson's attention. Would have been a simple pitch and catch to get the first down.
Yeah I saw that and was screaming for that simple pass and run. Would have been an easy 1st down.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I thought for sure it was going to happen and was psyched. And then the gunner realized it wasn't and moved in to block. So disappointing.

I hope they go over that in meetings this week and tell Dickson to look for such things and pull the trigger.

chris98251

Reaction score
Post game said that was on Pete, perfect situation to take the safety and he didn't get It in on time. Dickson Shanked it but Pete took the hit for not doing what was the right thing in the situation.

getnasty

Reaction score
chris98251":3m7s94sb said:
Post game said that was on Pete, perfect situation to take the safety and he didn't get It in on time. Dickson Shanked it but Pete took the hit for not doing what was the right thing in the situation.

Not sure if i agree with taking a saftey there. Dickson has a huge leg he just rushed it which is understandable i guess but certainly could have boomed one too.

chris98251

Reaction score
getnasty":1vjwtkrt said:
chris98251":1vjwtkrt said:

Not sure if i agree with taking a saftey there. Dickson has a huge leg he just rushed it which is understandable i guess but certainly could have boomed one too.

Unlikely, only had 11 yards separation, defense was going to add pressure, he could not get his second step for power either. At best he may have got a decent kick up but hardly a boomer.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I thought Ruben was an ok punter but he could shank with the best.

Something to be said about being humbled.

xray

Reaction score
the missed extra pt also ; points to kicking issues all around. don't matter they still won .

mikeak

Reaction score
chris98251":2q6vmx02 said:

Thanks for this post. I texted my buddy that they should take the safety and good to know that PC actually agreed

Look at how close the browns players are on that punt. Even non-shanked would have been horrible result. He needed an incredible amount of loft so he went all out on power which led to the shank

HawkGA

Reaction score
mikeak":3fupvq2d said:
chris98251":3fupvq2d said:

Thanks for this post. I texted my buddy that they should take the safety and good to know that PC actually agreed

Look at how close the browns players are on that punt. Even non-shanked would have been horrible result. He needed an incredible amount of loft so he went all out on power which led to the shank

Really? He didn't address the possibility of throwing it to the gunner? Hopefully he's just keeping that unspoken for if they ever decide to do it.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":24flw5ba said:
I thought Ruben was an ok punter but he could shank with the best.

Something to be said about being humbled.

He had a -3 yard punt iirc? Wasn't blocked, but there was a hellacious wind.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Pete wanted to call a safety TBH. He knew it was problematic. And 2 points and a free kick would have been better than the easy 7 they ended with.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
getnasty":ferb35fy said:
chris98251":ferb35fy said:

At best you get 40 yards on that punt plus they have a return opportunity since everyone stayed in to block.

If you take the safety you're up by 3 in a free kick situation.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
xray":p6mtbd13 said:
the missed extra pt also ; points to kicking issues all around. don't matter they still won .

The missed extra point speaks to the wind. Their kicker missed a PAT too so it's a wash

Latest posts