The NFC West will be a bloodbath this year

lsheldon

Reaction score
Who would have thought that the terrible 49ers would be the first NFC West team to win a preseason game. Go figure.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Cartire":3f6y6z78 said:
From what I've seen of all three teams this preseason (I know, preseason), none of them look good. In fact, the Rams look like they have regressed, and Foles has no rhythm with his recievers.

If I'm objective, I wouldn't say our first two outings were much to shout about, either, taken on the whole.

There have been some bright spots, no doubt (Clark, Lockett, Graham, O-line improvement from game 1, etc); but the starting offense is missing and the D needs it's starters in to really make a difference.

I still think we can take the West; but it doesn't feel to me as sure-thing as I'd like. Maybe things will feel different after week 1... ? Either way,

Go Hawks!

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
My prediction is that the Rams don't win more than 5 games this year and Fisher will get fired. They are that bad on offense.

Yes they have a great defensive line but after that they are really overrated.

Rob12

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":15xoqxkk said:
Paschtorian":15xoqxkk said:
About the 'Niners,....

.....I believe you are mistaken.

Sorry.

But true.

Based on what? They lost half their defense and pretty much every one those players were the ones who made it good. The Cardinals have a shot, if Palmer stays healthy, and the Rams have a shot if Fisher gets one of his outlier seasons, but the Niners? With Tomsula as the yes-man head coach of a decimated team? Let's be realistic.

But the Niners have gotten rid of a lot of distractions as well, and I think the players are going to ball their asses off for Tomsula. Odds are they are a six to eight win team, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them.

Largent80

Reaction score
Week one @ Rams with their D-Line vs. our O-Line certainly looks (at this point) to be a bloodbath.

After that?...we got this.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Niners aren't suddenly a cakewalk but they definitely regressed. They are going to struggle to even get close to the 0.50 win rate they had last year.

Rams look slightly better but that is mostly because their best unit is up against our worst unit. I doubt they are able to get a lot more than 5-6 wins.

Cards are still a good team but going 12-4 again seems a bit optimistic.

Going something like 5-1 in the division wouldn't be much of a surprise.

themunn

Reaction score
If we're using preseason form as a barometer of how we expect our opponents to play, we might as well pack it in as we've lost both of ours so far too

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
So many negatives for the niners in the last 6 months to even consider them a contender in this division. Which is exactly why they will probably come out swinging and catch some people off guard. Never underestimate an opponent. I think Foles will prove to be a big upgrade over everybody else they have had at the helm of that ship in recent years. Just Hoping that we don't get sucked into any more of Fisher's @#$%ing Gimmick plays! Yet to see how much of an impact Todd Bowles departure will have on the Cards defense. They are probably saying the same thing about us and Richard. It will be a good show for sure.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Pre-season is pre-season.

The only noteworthy thing that has happened in the division in the last two weeks is that for the early goings of the season at least the Cardinals o-line has been decimated by injuries and suspensions.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Good topic.

The Rams scare me the most. They have the best front 7 in football, and we have to go there week 1. Im very afraid of starting 0-1. I saw a ridiculous stat the other day, the last three years seattle is only 1-2 playing in STL, and something like 48-10 (making up this number I forget the actual one) everywhere else. Foles isn't great but he's much better then what they've had in years past.

Cardinals were EXTREMELY lucky last year, and EXTREMELY unlucky, very weird year. I think they regress back to the mean. A healthy palmer helps them, but that D could take a step back....

Niners might have the first overall pick come next years draft. That team has train wreck written all over it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
idk, hard to tell who's going to be good outside of the top 5-7 teams.

I could see both the Cards and Rams on paper being good............but I could also seem them sucking if they don't get good play out of their QB's and RB's.

One thing I'm sure of, the Niners are going to suck.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think Foles is really going to struggle and is a big step back from Bradford....well a healthy Bradford anyway.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well, it might be a bloodbath, but ironically, it could be a bloodbath of teams that are close to each other and not as good as everyone predicted.

There are too many question marks and preseason doesn't answer them:

First off, EVERY Qb in our division has questions to answer. Some more than others, but they all need to answer them.

Rams: Great DL, good LBers, still haven't upgraded their secondary sufficiently. The annual question is always about their offense and it's the same this year. Also, no one really knows how good Foles is, which is problematic in an inconsistent offense.

Arizona. Like many have mentioned, they played far above their DVOA ranking last year. Not that I follow them that closely, but they didn't seem to upgrade a lot on their defense (which needed depth and better pass rush). Many of their fans touted how well they've upgraded their OL, yet it looks weaker than ever with injuries and suspensions. That begs the questions "can Carson Palmer stay healthy?" and I thoerize it hangs enough losses on them early that they won't dig their way out of it.

SF. It's well documented the insane amount of talent they lost on their defense this offseason. Other than Torrey Smith, what did they honestly do to upgrade their offense ? Kaepernick is the biggest question mark, as usual, and if he plays up to his potential, he can carry them to an 8-8 or 9-7 season. I don't think they can make the playoffs, but they can cause teams some trouble and hang a couple losses on teams that they weren't anticipating. Their HC has no head coaching experience, and they have a new DC with a lot of newer and younger personnel. That's usually a recipe for a slow start, even if the younger guys are talented.

Seattle: It's going to really be all about the OL. It's looked so bad, I've even wondered if Wilson could last the season, as durable and elusive as he is. Cable should be able to tinker with it, and improve the run blocking, but the OL could cost us some early losses and make the road to the SB that much harder.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The Rams always find a way to give us a run for their money. Their front seven is well-built to contain Russell Wilson. Nick Foles will be a step up, though not their savior. Our DBs won't be like the Raiders DBs, falling down everywhere as Foles throws eight touchdowns against them while sipping a latte. But he'll be better.

Thing is...none of the NFC West defenses have ever had to deal with a legitimate receiving threat in Seattle. We now have at least two. In that sense, it's a new division.

And yeah, the 49ers are going to be historically awful.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
kearly":1qwkyxrg said:
It will be very tough to get by the Rams in week 1, but I think Seattle will probably go 5-0 in the other division games.

We never seem to play well in the 1st game of the year if we are on the road.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I had to double check to make sure this post wasn't from 2013.

Barring injuries .. I can see the Seahawks running away with the division

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
kearly":35vj2c0j said:
Arizona had a negative DVOA last year, so did the Rams. The 49ers will almost certainly have a negative DVOA this year.

I see the Rams rising a bit (Foles and Gurley will probably make that offense respectable), but Arizona almost has to regress to the mean and the 49ers are likely in for a huge fall.

It will be very tough to get by the Rams in week 1, but I think Seattle will probably go 5-0 in the other division games.
Carson Palmer's having a great camp. What if he's healthy all year? Why do you see them getting crappy again?

RedAlice

Reaction score
Paschtorian":1s6k2j8l said:
Believe me, I firmly think our 'Hawks will prevail and win the division. I just don't think these games will be "cakewalks".

The other three defenses look incredibly tough (if you're watching the pre-season). And the other three starting offenses are no joke.

I'm just sayin', it's going to come down to game plan-n-execution.

Seahawks: 14 - 2

Homefield advantage,..............Superbowl.

(Too many periods??????)

You are basing this on pre-season? Did you actually WATCH either of the Rams games? Nothing you say here applies to either of those games.

Melencause

Reaction score
Paschtorian":14eohg9x said:
With the four best defenses in the league.

And the four quality QB's.

And the ground games,......and WR's,......

......I think this is going to be a VERY interesting season.

I'm not counting ANYONE out.

Just sayin'.

Won't be the 4 best defenses in the league... and don;t think it was last year either.

Bills and Broncos will have better D then 49ers at the minimum would expect better than Arizona and LA Rams too.