The NFL wants you to believe this is not DPI

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The Smith play was obviously DPI. I thought the Jackson play was a good no-call. Their feet got tangled and the defensive player fell down onto Jackson.

Either way it was a missed call that didn't really affect the game. MIssed calls happen in every game and happen for and against every team. No reason to really complain.

Polaris

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":19pff7qd said:
The Smith play was obviously DPI. I thought the Jackson play was a good no-call. Their feet got tangled and the defensive player fell down onto Jackson.

Either way it was a missed call that didn't really affect the game. MIssed calls happen in every game and happen for and against every team. No reason to really complain.

Normally I'd agree, but the back judge was LOOKING RIGHT AT SMITH. If there was a picture by the rule "This is Defensive Pass Interference", this would be it.

How do you excuse or overlook such egregious incompetence?

Anguish

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":2ot0azej said:
hawknation2015":2ot0azej said:
For the Smith DPI, I think the ref was just following an unwritten rule - Remember that Cleveland had jumped off-sides on that play, so we in essence had a "Free Play" that Russell could throw up without a danger of an interception....well, because it was a "free play." I think that refs don't like to throw DPI flags on these type of plays even when it as as egregious as this one because it in effect can end up overly rewarding the offensive team for a ball that just gets thrown up for grabs.

For the other play where Jackson basically got tackled? Totally should have been DPI.

They sure didn't have a problem calling DPI on the Seahawks during the Green Bay game on "free plays".

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Polaris":1xe1kgic said:
Hawk-Lock":1xe1kgic said:

Normally I'd agree, but the back judge was LOOKING RIGHT AT SMITH. If there was a picture by the rule "This is Defensive Pass Interference", this would be it.

He missed the call. It happens dude. How did the ref miss the illegal bat from KJ Wright against the Lions that should have lost us the game? HE WAS RIGHT THERE!

How did the ref (albeit a replacement ref) miss what should have been an interception but called it a TD for Golden Tate in the Fail Mary game?

Bad calls happen all the time. Refs don't have a vendetta against the Seahawks, it just seems that way because we root for them.

Polaris

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2iyrt127 said:
Polaris":2iyrt127 said:
Hawk-Lock":2iyrt127 said:

He missed the call. It happens dude. How did the ref miss the illegal bat from KJ Wright against the Lions that should have lost us the game? HE WAS RIGHT THERE!

Don't go there. Apples and Oranges. Not only was Wright basically alone in the back of the end zone but that rule was so obscure that NOBODY knew it (whatever facesaving tripe was said afterwards). The officials clearly didn't know it, Pete and the Seahawks didn't know it (and said so), the LIONS DIDN'T KNOW IT.....and neither did the announcers. It took 40 minutes and a retired ref who had a bad glass of gerital and wanted his 15 mins of fame on ESPN for everyone to know. Not at all the same thing.

How did the ref (albeit a replacement ref) miss what should have been an interception but called it a TD for Golden Tate in the Fail Mary game?

WRONG! ESPN has done the world a disservice. If you look frame by frame at the reverse angle (filmed by KCPQ), you find that Tate made initial contact and never LOST contact and thus was in the process of possession. Sure the Green Bay defender was doing the same but unless you say you need two hands to catch (and you don't), that WAS simultaneous possession and it was reviewed not once but TWICE by the real refs and they came to the same conclusion.

So again, Don't. Go. There.

Bad calls happen all the time. Refs don't have a vendetta against the Seahawks, it just seems that way because we root for them.

Did I say vendetta? I said that was a horribly egregious call that should at the very least earn a public reprimand and would for the like of us in our jobs (for a similar failure).

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Polaris":ch46cvpg said:
Hawk-Lock":ch46cvpg said:
Polaris":ch46cvpg said:
Hawk-Lock":ch46cvpg said:

Don't go there. Apples and Oranges. Not only was Wright basically alone in the back of the end zone but that rule was so obscure that NOBODY knew it (whatever facesaving tripe was said afterwards). The officials clearly didn't know it, Pete and the Seahawks didn't know it (and said so), the LIONS DIDN'T KNOW IT.....and neither did the announcers. It took 40 minutes and a retired ref who had a bad glass of gerital and wanted his 15 mins of fame on ESPN for everyone to know. Not at all the same thing.

WRONG! ESPN has done the world a disservice. If you look frame by frame at the reverse angle (filmed by KCPQ), you find that Tate made initial contact and never LOST contact and thus was in the process of possession. Sure the Green Bay defender was doing the same but unless you say you need two hands to catch (and you don't), that WAS simultaneous possession and it was reviewed not once but TWICE by the real refs and they came to the same conclusion.

So again, Don't. Go. There.

Did I say vendetta? I said that was a horribly egregious call that should at the very least earn a public reprimand and would for the like of us in our jobs (for a similar failure).

Well I answered your question in the previous post. The ref missed it. Mistakes happen.

And to add, some refs just aren't that good. To be fair, it's a tough job though.

253hawk

Reaction score
Polaris":2amf60rn said:

Plus Tate's feet are both down while the DB's are still in the air. You can't establish possession in mid-air.

And you have to love the CGI 'MNF moments' re-enactments during the MNF intro now -- they don't even show Tate getting his hand on the ball whatsoever. :roll:

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3s6w40wi said:
253hawk":3s6w40wi said:
hawknation2015":3s6w40wi said:
No wonder the Seahawks have benefited from only two DPI calls the entire season.

And guess who's #1 with 19 benefited...

:tardssmall:

Yeah, disgusting, Arizona has had only two DPIs called against them all season long, yet they are #1 in the league, by a wide margin, in DPIs called against their opponents.

Arizona is also #1 in fewest holding calls and #6 in most calls against their opponents. :34853_doh:

The league average is 19.9. Arizona has only been called for nine, total, which has to be some kind of record.

Arizona treatment is getting stupid.

Also if that guy doesn't interfere. Wilson gets td #4.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I really don't see how you can know he stumbled on purpose. That really seems extremely improbable given have fast the play happened. It looked like he was about to put his arm up to defend the ball, at the same time look for the ball and as soon as he did he tripped and fell on the WR. All three things happened in a split second. That's one hell of a fake and at the very most it was a close call.

The second one is definitely a DPI and a bs no call.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":1v9or610 said:
The play involving Smith was blatant. I ranted at the TV for 10 minutes on that one. Just no excuse for not throwing a flag there.

Not sure that the Jackson play was much less blatant. Maybe slightly and you have the defender looking at the ball a bit more but it still looks a lot more like PI than anything else.

Shove, as you are turning your head back toward where the ball should be coming from. A well rehearsed move for a below-average CB.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":3qr7knhu said:
hawknation2015":3qr7knhu said:
For the Smith DPI, I think the ref was just following an unwritten rule - Remember that Cleveland had jumped off-sides on that play, so we in essence had a "Free Play" that Russell could throw up without a danger of an interception....well, because it was a "free play." I think that refs don't like to throw DPI flags on these type of plays even when it as as egregious as this one because it in effect can end up overly rewarding the offensive team for a ball that just gets thrown up for grabs.

For the other play where Jackson basically got tackled? Totally should have been DPI.

Sherm, Packers game. Nuff said. (and the refs blew that one too, the Tackle responded to the offsides, should have killed the play)

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Being a referee is one of the hardest job in the world. Because everyone could make a better call, after watching the replay 100 times from 1000 different angles.
Having been a referee myself, I try to stay away from referee criticism. I used to referee high school soccer. Every parent sitting in the stands was always right ... and I was always wrong.

rcaido

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1hqwhjbi said:
Being a referee is one of the hardest job in the world. Because everyone could make a better call, after watching the replay 100 times from 1000 different angles.
Having been a referee myself, I try to stay away from referee criticism. I used to referee high school soccer. Every parent sitting in the stands was always right ... and I was always wrong.

You were wrong about Russell Wilson too! :lol:

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
hawknation2015":123kwoky said:
HighHelpfulHammerkop

ElatedNimbleFrigatebird

Apparently, pretending to stumble into a receiver, in order to materially restrict him from catching the ball, is now considered an exception to the rule against defensive pass interference. Traditionally, the "tangled feet" exception only applied when both players were actually fighting for the ball. Now, it appears the referees are allowing defenders to get away with falling onto (and tackling) receivers before the ball has arrived.

No wonder the Seahawks have benefited from only two DPI calls the entire season.

"Look into the light."
Mib neuralyzer
I was really pissed about that play and kept trying to explain to the ppl around me that feet getting tangled up is one thing but this guy basically just fell into him.

This play doesn't look much different than a defender straight-up tackling the WR before the ball gets there.

I am a fair and balanced person, i dont side with the Hawks just because they're "my team". That play was one of the worst DPI misses i have ever seen.

After seeing so many ticky tacky PI calls over the years it is incredible that such an obvious PI was not called.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
I was rooting around the internet and found this, related to last year's game against the Chiefs. I had never seen that the NFL owned up to this blunder. I remember when it happened, just being totally torqued off about how bad the PI non call was. I mean, it was just so obvious.

Vice president of officiating Dean Blandino informed Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on Thursday that Bill Leavy's crew should have called pass interference against Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Sean Smith for shoving receiver Doug Baldwin off his bid to catch a 2-yard touchdown pass with 6:33 left in Seattle's 24-20 loss last Sunday.

seahawks08

Reaction score
There is something called working the referees, established players work the referees all the time, so that more often then not, they get calls that favor them. When you are a new player, you normally don't get that benefit of doubt. Officiating is done mostly by humans, they look at each game and match ups and has a certain mindset during the game. What I mean is Cleveland had such a horrid season, does a Pass interference make a change to the overall outcome of the game, no. Thats why they are more giving benefit of a doubt to the weaker team, this happens all the time, whether it is in school, in games and everything. Officiating has become such a tough business and so does the rule book and then there is the third set of eyes from New York... really just play the game and keep it simple. The moment you add timeouts, replays, TV timeouts and all of that stuff, what gets played in an hour will take 4 to 5 hours to complete. I don't think we will have patience sitting in stadiums for that long. We need to simplify the rules, implement technology so that the game is played in a more neutral ground.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1uqd75dh said:
I was saying this during the game too.

Note to DBs: Commit all the DPI you want. Just pretend to stumble and you will get away with it every time.

Like the game clinching "accidental contact" in the superbowl against the pats. Had they called DPI we prob win :(

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3r3jvh0r said:
HawkFan72":3r3jvh0r said:
I was saying this during the game too.

Note to DBs: Commit all the DPI you want. Just pretend to stumble and you will get away with it every time.

Like the game clinching "accidental contact" in the superbowl against the pats. Had they called DPI we prob win :(

Do you mean the Browner clinch / hold at the end?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Both were horrible calls. Both were blatant DPI. Simply just more NFL refereeing rubbish.

Latest posts