The O-Line

Vesuve

Reaction score
SeaHawk blogger on O-line trade possibilities.

Is this realistic?

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 6, 2015

Let's Make A Deal: Offensive Line Trade Possibilities

Brian Nemhauser

The Seahawks offensive line is doing a better job of blocking this team's path back to the Super Bowl than they are opposing defensive lineman. It is time to start looking for ways to upgrade the unit and hope a mid-season patch job can be good enough to allow the offense to operate. John Schneider has been one of the most aggressive GMs in football when it comes to executing trades, and I think he will explore that same option here. Let's take a look at some of the possibilities.

Criteria

Consider this a first pass list. These are players who caught my eye due to their performance so far this season or because they have played well in the past. The hardest part of making a deal, especially for offensive lineman, is finding a willing trade partner. I immediately screened out any player on a good team. Another problem is finding a player the Seahawks can afford to take on. Good lineman cost lots of cash. Seattle does not have cap space. I chose to keep expensive lineman on the list since teams can choose to cover so much of the cost.

I only looked at guards and centers for this go around because that appears to be where the primary issues are.

List of possible players in link:
http://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/10/lets ... e-seahawks

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
I can't wait until next year when Russell Okung leaves in the FA to become some team's right tackle if not left tackle, and then we draft some DL in round 6 to become our LT.

chiltech500

Reaction score
Problem with the O-line emanates from lack of production at the wide receiver position. Because our receivers can be covered one on one, with the exception of Tyler Lockette at times, there isn't any deep threat that puts fear into the mind set of the defensive

Excuses excuses, nothing but on this website, like the all other OL's are screwed too post. Bad decisions by GM and coach, trade for Harvin, trade for Graham, cheap out on linemen. What about those realities.

I* love this team but decisions have been bad.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":28bi5lkb said:
I can't wait until next year when Russell Okung leaves in the FA to become some team's right tackle if not left tackle, and then we draft some DL in round 6 to become our LT.

OK! Whatever makes you happy.

The round a player is picked truly has zero actual 1 to 1 correlation to how good the player will be. Recall if you will the rounds Sherman and Chancellor were picked in as proof.

I frankly wonder if the team will truly miss the many false starts and holding penalties that Okung takes. His protection of Wilson in the first half of the Lions game was atrocious and simply awful for a very early 1st rd. pick. But then again the round a player is taken in doesn't ensure the player will turn out to be be actually, well, good.

The team will need to carefully assess the price Okung wants before renewing him, all in all he hasn't been truly worth the early pick spent on him, or his early first round contract.

I do agree the whole OLine is offensive and will continue to be until they can develop some cohesiveness. Even then it appears that the experiment of attempting to remake Linemen from DTs is suffering some developmental pains for everyone involved. To me this year's Oline is simply awful.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2cl1q6ne said:
SeahawksFanForever":2cl1q6ne said:

OK! Whatever makes you happy.

The round a player is picked truly has zero actual 1 to 1 correlation to how good the player will be. Recall if you will the rounds Sherman and Chancellor were picked in as proof.

I frankly wonder if the team will truly miss the many false starts and holding penalties that Okung takes. His protection of Wilson in the first half of the Lions game was atrocious and simply awful for a very early 1st rd. pick. But then again the round a player is taken in doesn't ensure the player will turn out to be be actually, well, good.

The team will need to carefully assess the price Okung wants before renewing him, all in all he hasn't been truly worth the early pick spent on him, or his early first round contract.

I do agree the whole OLine is offensive and will continue to be until they can develop some cohesiveness. Even then it appears that the experiment of attempting to remake Linemen from DTs is suffering some developmental pains for everyone involved. To me this year's Oline is simply awful.

I wasn't talking about Okung's play when I made that comment. I could care less if he left in the FA because he will be overpaid. He is our best OL though but that's not saying much.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
There are number of college football teams that have a better OL than the Seahawks. That's a sad thought. Reality bites!!!

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
RW92":2pw4lo7w said:
chris98251":2pw4lo7w said:
RW92":2pw4lo7w said:
Problem with the O-line emanates from lack of production at the wide receiver position. Because our receivers can be covered one on one, with the exception of Tyler Lockette at times, there isn't any deep threat that puts fear into the mind set of the defensive backs. As a result the opposing teams just man up, and either corner blitz or safety blitz all game, knowing that they aren't going to get beat over the top. This places enormous pressure on an ever evolving offensive line that just can't handle the constant blitz. Thus you see sack after sack. Teams have figured this out, and if you watch they all are starting to play with the same defensive package, regardless of personal. We're stuck right now, and we better figure how to get open and create separation. Otherwise the future doesn't bode well for our team.

How do you get production when it's one two three sack because we can't have a QB set and make reads and throw from a protected pocket.

Let me tell ya, that is the question of the day. How do we get production? I look at the roster and ask myself is it the personnel, offensive coordinator, play calling, or all of the above. Bottom line is they can't go 12 more games like this. I just can't see it happening. They have to establish some type of deep threat or at least try and get Graham open in the middle seams. Rus is doing everything he can.

Do you believe Russell would have time to allow that play to develop on a consistent basis? How do you know some of those sacks weren't born from this line of thinking?

marko358

Reaction score
Is there anything in the rule book that says we can't just use this instead of 5 actual people? Russell should get a good 2.6 seconds behind this thing before the defense gets to him. That would be a vast improvement.

Orange tackling dummies 6401076

Latest posts