The offense.. or lack there of

Exittium

Reaction score
1st off Love this thread, so much info and so many opinions but all within respect.

BUT the biggest issue I see is, someone asked earlier or said something like “it’s as if Russell has to go off two playbooks” and “cable being charge of running plays or the run game itself”

Even in this thread WE ARE CONFUSED on who to really blame or where to pin point the issues. Imagine how Russ feels?
I remember during our playoff game against the Panthers, we just got back Lynch and our run game sucked. 2nd half we come up and started shredding apart the Panthers, sadly it was too little too late BUT I remember a very liked/missed/loved FB named Mike Rob saying on twitter, Cable has taken over offensive play calling in the 2nd half. Actually it took a bit but here.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RealMikeRob/status/688836117546831872[/tweet]

And here’s another good one

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RealMikeRob/status/691975951073308672[/tweet]

So I’d say Bevell is the issue NOT Cable.

Seymour

Reaction score
Exittium":xlwb06jw said:
1st off Love this thread, so much info and so many opinions but all within respect.

BUT the biggest issue I see is, someone asked earlier or said something like “it’s as if Russell has to go off two playbooks” and “cable being charge of running plays or the run game itself”

Even in this thread WE ARE CONFUSED on who to really blame or where to pin point the issues. Imagine how Russ feels?
I remember during our playoff game against the Panthers, we just got back Lynch and our run game sucked. 2nd half we come up and started shredding apart the Panthers, sadly it was too little too late BUT I remember a very liked/missed/loved FB named Mike Rob saying on twitter, Cable has taken over offensive play calling in the 2nd half. Actually it took a bit but here.

And here’s another good one

So I’d say Bevell is the issue NOT Cable.

Does Bevell draft, train, and scheme for the oline (our clear #1 problem on offense)?

They BOTH are "the problem". With a crappy line, Bevell's (shitty) playcalling has even less of a chance.

seedhawk

Reaction score
We actually don't lack offense. We lack utilization. Consistent utilization. Two weeks ago (if I remember correctly) was RW's 100th start. In 100 starts, he has already collected 24 4th qtr or over time game winning drives. Amazing. Also, how many games in a row with RW at Qb was the game decided by 1 score or less?

Year 1 6 total losses
Year 2 3 total losses
Year 3 5 total losses
Year 4 6 total losses
Year 5 6 total losses
Year 6 3 losses (so far)

29 total losses vs 24 game winning drives in 5 +years. So, the question in my mind is, if RW and our so called pathetic offense can generate 71 wins in 5+ years, and damn near all our losses are by a single score or less, is it actually an offense problem, or is it a philosophical problem starting with PC and how he wants games to play out?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk said:
Scutter, you've made some great points, but I don't completely buy the last one. Why would a coach anticipate that he has to work around a deficiency? The idea should be that everyone will do their job and the play will work because the entire unit succeeds. It would be handcuffing your abilities and somewhat admitting defeat from the get-go to take that philosophy.

In a perfect world there are no players on our O-Line with deficiencies, and that when one of your guys goes down with an injury, a player of equal abilities get's plugged in and no one on the Line misses a beat,
As it stands now, there are too many Offensive Linemen that are whiffing on blocks, and even well designed plays get blown up.
It's not admitting defeat to admit that there are some player limitations, and are oft times missing on their blocking assignments, or like Ifedi, keeps False Starting in nearly every game, and now a third & 3 now becomes 3rd, or 4th & long.
Bevell/Cable have to take some of those limitations into account, and adapt accordingly, as neither of them can assume that every play will go off without a hitch.
It use to be that Marshawn Lynch & Russell Wilson would mask a lot of the O-Line deficiencies with the RO plays, and now, with the near nonexistent Run Game, it's all on Russell Wilson to read and react when plays get busted up, AND, Judging by how often Someone or someone(S), are missing on their blocks, RW more frequently has to ad lib on play after busted play.
The lack of Run/Pass Blocking got him injured last Season, and even though it didn't stop him from making some remarkable plays, it most certainly did slow him down.