The offense.. or lack there of

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3w4oz1vv said:
chris98251":3w4oz1vv said:
Tell me how well our offense works per design.

Then tell me how well it works when Wilson goes improve.

Our big plays and gainers are the improve not what Bevell designed.

That's too difficult to prove. If you follow the right national analysts on Twitter (Andy Benoit is a good one), you'll find Bevell is putting up decent concepts.

But it isn't consistent, and again, it's as if two different playbooks are being used. That's where Wilson struggles, not when he's "not improvising". He's made a lot of plays from the pocket in the last three years when the right options are put in front of him (and when he uses them).

I'm coming to the conclusion that Bevell is a decent OC, but that Wilson needs better than decent.

Or two people managing two different parts of offense?

Maybe?

I mean we have some notion that might be true...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Doug Farrar, Bleacher reports, was on John Clayton's radio show on Saturday. He said emphatically that without Russell Wilson and the improvisations he does play after play, the Seahawks would have no offense. He is the offense. The offense would not exist without RW. He said the Seahawks offense probably wouldn't get 100 yards in a game if they had average QB running it. That says a lot to me. Doug has been around the Seahawks quite a bit. That statement is very telling to me about the lack of offense from coaches to players. http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10024431&sid=1034&n=John+Clayton+Weekends

The statements are around the 41min mark.

cymatica

Reaction score
mrt144":1ri5p01r said:
MontanaHawk05":1ri5p01r said:
chris98251":1ri5p01r said:

That's too difficult to prove. If you follow the right national analysts on Twitter (Andy Benoit is a good one), you'll find Bevell is putting up decent concepts.

But it isn't consistent, and again, it's as if two different playbooks are being used. That's where Wilson struggles, not when he's "not improvising". He's made a lot of plays from the pocket in the last three years when the right options are put in front of him (and when he uses them).

I'm coming to the conclusion that Bevell is a decent OC, but that Wilson needs better than decent.

Or two people managing two different parts of offense?

Maybe?

I mean we have some notion that might be true...

I think that may be part of it. How many teams have a separate run game coordinator. Never heard of that before Cable took that title, could just be me though. Could be Pete's obsession with toxic differential and the big play that also play a part in stearing away from a nickel n dime offense.

The other part, I think, is talent acquisition. Both Graham and Willson don't seem like TE's for a "ball control offense". Harvin never made sense for our style while Tate was a perfect fit. I still am not over Tate and looking back he had every right to resent Harvin's signing.

That being said, our coaches have proven they can win. They just need to stick to their roots

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1kl6zf0o said:
chris98251":1kl6zf0o said:

Now you guys are touching on the true crux of the Offense.
Every Year seems like a tear down & rebuild of our Offensive Line, and because of the constant turnover of players Bevell has to start from ground zero, try and reconfigure player to plays abilities.
He has to make a tie in with Russell Wilson, who is ALSO having to readjust for players that aren't yet coached up.
Nowadays MOST of the Offensive Players coming out of College, don't have even the basics of how to play O-Line in the NFL, so Cable has to dumb it down for them.
This down the road development is not good for the Run Game & Pass Pro in the get-go of the last 3 Seasons, and it's also another reason that Wilson is improving his ass off.
The second half of 2015, the O-Line was starting to Get It, and then in 2016, the O-Line seems to relapse, and doesn't seem to be able to pick up where they left off the Season before, Wilson gets hurt, the Playbook slams shut.
Here we are in 2017, and done with the first half of the relearning process, and hopefully?, Wilson & Co. will go on another tear.

modernman

Reaction score
scutterhawk":20ykgthg said:
cymatica":20ykgthg said:
Siouxhawk":20ykgthg said:
If you just watch football in the surface and need a scapegoat, that's the illogical conclusion one could draw. A closer look would reveal that is rubbish. The mighty Rams are just 1 game in front of us and since we play them again nothing in our division is close to being settled. We also will have the tiebreaker if we beat them again, a home game I believe. So tell your friend that his team has improved, but we still rule the roost and our offense will put more points on the board in head-to-head matchups.

How is it the packers figured out our offense a few years ago and nothing changed? I haven't seen any offense(from a decent team) struggle so much against st such an average defense, and average is a compliment. Capers figured out Bevell and nothing ever changed since 2014 to adjust.

It goes beyond just matchups, the personel on teams has changed, the coordinators and results haven't
The Seahawks Coaching a win over the All Mighty Bill Billicheck's Patriots last Year?...In THEIR BACK YARD NO LESS?? :stirthepot:

Sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while...... But seriously this is exactly the example of whats so frustrating watching this team= hero to zero in a single game. We count on lucky break and right calls to keep us in games when we have the talent to blow out.
I question if we even watch game film anymore...no real reason to....., same issues, same problem. We call the same plays game after game like clockwork. the natitive is to point fingers at the Line or the RB's or this or that...and yet like the Washington game, teams come in with band-aids, bailing wire and duct tape and completely drill us in our house...it like a flashback to 1965 NFL at 2017 Prices. Completely amazing. So much unrealized potential

mrt144

Reaction score
scutterhawk":28ioh7aq said:
MontanaHawk05":28ioh7aq said:
chris98251":28ioh7aq said:

Every Year seems like a tear down & rebuild of our Offensive Line, and because of the constant turnover of players Bevell has to start from ground zero, try and reconfigure player to plays abilities.
He has to make a tie in with Russell Wilson, who is ALSO having to readjust for players that aren't yet coached up.
Nowadays MOST of the Offensive Players coming out of College, don't have even the basics of how to play O-Line in the NFL, so Cable has to dumb it down for them.
This down the road development is not good for the Run Game & Pass Pro in the get-go of the last 3 Seasons, and it's also another reason that Wilson is improving his ass off.
The second half of 2015, the O-Line was starting to Get It, and then in 2016, the O-Line seems to relapse, and doesn't seem to be able to pick up where they left off the Season before, Wilson gets hurt, the Playbook slams shut.
Here we are in 2017, and done with the first half of the relearning process, and hopefully?, Wilson & Co. will go on another tear.

So this leads to another quesiton:

Is an NFL coach worth his salt if he can't adapt to talent influx issues that make his job harder than the previous experiences he's had in his NFL tenure?

Everything tossed around on the subject suggests to me that Cable especially is out of his element on what to do and look for in a talent crunch and is haplessly trying to navigate a brave new world. I would love for the team to give a college OL coach with pro experience a shot. Someone at a college like...Michigan...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
As an example, Bevell's former team - The Vikings have an average QB running their offense. They are much improved offense. Mike Zimmer is a defensive minded head coach too. The team strength is defense but they do enough on offense as well. They have had OL problems too. Last year they were in flux with the OL. They don't have that great of OL this year either but they are getting by. Here's an article from earlier this season - https://www.foxsports.com/north/sto...ffensive-line-sam-bradford-dalvin-cook-091217.

The Vikes also lost their #1 rb too and have for the most part using RBBC. Yet they are more productive running the ball than the Seahawks. Also they had 4 new starters on the OL this season. Just one person starting is back from last year. So all new guys and they are using ZBS. They are being coached better. They are working as a conducive unit together. That's coaching. Cable is terrible at his job. The game has passed him by.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Just a note on the numbers: ESPN has us at 211 points for 23.4 ppg, but if you subtract defensive scores we actually have 186 offensive points for 20.7 ppg, which is almost a FG less per game than it really looks to be. I can't be asked to calculate where that would rank us if we took away defensive scores from all teams, but it's worth acknowledging.

More stats: we are 13th in yards per drive, but 19th in points per drive, which makes sense because our redzone percentage (50%) ranks 22nd in the league. We are a respectable 13th in 3rd down percentage. FO has us at 14th in offensive DVOA. These stats paint us to be decent to mediocre on offense. It looks like our redzone woes are holding us back. Then there's the film/eye test, which to me says that we look lost for a good portion of most games and then look amazing for some parts. There is little consistency and nothing close to dominance.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
scutterhawk":5wdv3t5h said:

For the most part, I don't agree with this. The biggest glaring issue that Bevell has is comprehending players abilities and personnel adjustments. We run the same offense regardless of who's in there it seems. Its no secret we have had a horrendous line for a few years now and its still the same long developing pass plays being called.

Cable dumbing it down for them? Are you kidding me? Plenty of lineman that were drafted as rookies this season are playing well and past lineman that were with us have gone on to other teams and excelled. Its the ZBS scheme we run. We don't have the player talent for it, but yet we still do it. I'm convinced the Oline would be better if we scrapped the ZBS entirely. Honestly, what good is it doing us anyways? Running the ball with this team is a lesson in futility. Even if it does start to work (last game), we abandon it for some reason anyways.

The second half od 2015 we started running an up tempo offense that opened up the run for Rawls. 2016 Pete came out with the same old Lynch infused offense again for some unknown reason and we didn't have the horses to do so. Wilson ended up getting hurt (they still called the read option half the time with the other team knowing he wasn't going to run) and the rest is history. Its a coaching issue, not a Wilson issue. This years offense will go only as far as Wilson can take it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1yhi0tsb said:
As an example, Bevell's former team - The Vikings have an average QB running their offense. They are much improved offense. Mike Zimmer is a defensive minded head coach too. The team strength is defense but they do enough on offense as well. They have had OL problems too. Last year they were in flux with the OL. They don't have that great of OL this year either but they are getting by. Here's an article from earlier this season - https://www.foxsports.com/north/sto...ffensive-line-sam-bradford-dalvin-cook-091217.

The Vikes also lost their #1 rb too and have for the most part using RBBC. Yet they are more productive running the ball than the Seahawks. Also they had 4 new starters on the OL this season. Just one person starting is back from last year. So all new guys and they are using ZBS. They are being coached better. They are working as a conducive unit together. That's coaching. Cable is terrible at his job. The game has passed him by.
Hard to argue with your take on Cable, so I'm not going to even try.
As I see it, Bevell is somewhat being made the scapegoat......It's Cable that is responsible for Coaching up O-Line players for Bevell to use in his playbook schemes, to enhance & intermesh with Quarterback Russell Wilson,
Because of the O-Line quandary, Wilson has been taking a plethora of blown up plays, and Improvising his ever lovin' ass off....That's why some have coined him "A One Man Army".
It's fair to say, that we can tie the success of the Seahawks Offense to Russell Wilson :irishdrinkers:

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1m9bnlay said:
hawkfan68":1m9bnlay said:

As I see it, Bevell is somewhat being made the scapegoat......It's Cable that is responsible for Coaching up O-Line players for Bevell to use in his playbook schemes, to enhance & intermesh with Quarterback Russell Wilson,
Because of the O-Line quandary, Wilson has been taking a plethora of blown up plays, and Improvising his ever lovin' ass off....That's why some have coined him "A One Man Army".
It's fair to say, that we can tie the success of the Seahawks Offense to Russell Wilson :irishdrinkers:

They aren't inclusive issues, it's more complex which means fixing it is essentially harder to do.

Bevell has good days and then he has periods during a game when he's very bad, I also think running those scripted plays hurts the team as well.

Beyond that, zone blocking isn't particularly effective with this group, either be it because of rules or the style of players we have it's not efficient.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1ihx7j9a said:
hawkfan68":1ihx7j9a said:

Definitely on Russell Wilson :irishdrinkers:

I believe Cable is the bigger problem but Bevell also factors into this somewhat too. It's a combination of both. I'm not sure if you read the link that I posted but further in the article it spoke to how Pat Shurmur, Vikes OC, designed a plan to work around some of the deficiencies of the Vikes OL and offense. In the game he designed plays that created favorable matchups for the QB - Sam Bradford to get into rhythm with his players, primarily WRs - Diggs and Thielen. Getting this helped them to gradually open the attack with some laser like tosses down the field.

Seahawks game plan is exactly the opposite, IMO. They throw deep and hope to get a big play from the get go rather than gradually work their way to that. Maybe they can take some lessons from the Vikes strategy. Sounds like that is the type of offense that PC prefers. A controlled offense with explosive plays.

Smellyman

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3ltxo7pc said:
Ambrose83":3ltxo7pc said:
scutterhawk":3ltxo7pc said:
scrummymustard":3ltxo7pc said:
Come on man, it’s hilarious that you can’t even have an open discussion on the topic. All of his points were not “rubbish”. The Rams made a coaching change, signed a few players and went from last in the league in ppg (14ppg in 2016) to 1st (32.9 ppg in 2017) in less than a year. Imagine if this team even gained a 7ppg increase? The hawks would be extremely tough to beat.

At the end of the day, it’s Pete’s system, but man, I get why a lot of people on here have you muted and I’m not even on the side of firing your guy. I do, like most, want a philosophy change though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, so if Sioux doesn't AGREE with Bevell bashers, he should be "Muted"?
If the Seahawks are HEALTHY across the board, they not only compete with ANY TEAM, but have BEATEN all of them.
I'm not saying that we couldn't do better with a few changes in Coaching, but most here are letting their bias against Darrell Bevell, Tom Cable, and Pete Carroll, for sticking with the guys that helped him formulate the winningest Seahawks team EVER, and now Y'all want "Change".
Now, COULD they maybe improve with a couple of Coaching changes?, no argument, BUT, they've already proven that, even on a Road Game, a healthy Seahawks can be Coached up by Carroll, Bevell, Cable & Richards, to beat a healthy Rams.
The Rams are HEALTHIER, than most the Teams in the NFC at this juncture, so that gives them the advantage FOR NOW, it might just be me, but I sure as hell wouldn't be so quick to dismiss what Pete Carroll & his Coaches can dial up.

They were healthy last year, never were better then 7-9 with fisher... yet year 1 with Mcvay and they are 7-2 And have already scored more pts then they did last season... and you think it's not coaching ?
You damned straight, it most certainly IS Coaching, but it IS NOT JUST COACHING.
Both Bevell & Cable were the Coaches that HELPED Carroll & Co WIN the Seahawks FIRST EVER Super Bowl, and were also THERE when they went a SECOND TIME the following Year.
I've already said that a change in Coaching MIGHT help them rejuvenate Coaching philosophy, but that change ALONE is not a given for success, AND, even though you don't believe that the Seahawks Coaching are getting the most, or best of play out of the players, you're ignoring the fact that they have been IN the thick of competition, Year after Year, and going to the playoffs on a REGULAR BASIS.
Oh and, the Seahawks vaunted LOB (minus Browner) Secondary were ALL playing INJURED in our second Super Bowl appearance, and I believe that THAT was the reason Brady was able to recoup the 10 point deficit.....You could tell by Bill Billicheck & Tom Brady's shocked expressions, that they were LUCKY to have won that game.
Bevell made ONE CONTROVERSIAL call in that game, how many mistakes did our 'D' Coaches make with our high dollar, high octane Defense in that contest.
We lose some games to some very good Coached Teams, but we also WIN some games from some of those SAME good Coached Teams......"On Any Given Sunday"

Constantly going to all caps IS DRIVING ME INSANE.

TooAnnoying;dr

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Smellyman":38se0624 said:
scutterhawk":38se0624 said:
Ambrose83":38se0624 said:
scutterhawk":38se0624 said:
If the Seahawks are HEALTHY across the board, they not only compete with ANY TEAM, but have BEATEN all of them.
I'm not saying that we couldn't do better with a few changes in Coaching, but most here are letting their bias against Darrell Bevell, Tom Cable, and Pete Carroll, for sticking with the guys that helped him formulate the winningest Seahawks team EVER, and now Y'all want "Change".
Now, COULD they maybe improve with a couple of Coaching changes?, no argument, BUT, they've already proven that, even on a Road Game, a healthy Seahawks can be Coached up by Carroll, Bevell, Cable & Richards, to beat a healthy Rams.
The Rams are HEALTHIER, than most the Teams in the NFC at this juncture, so that gives them the advantage FOR NOW, it might just be me, but I sure as hell wouldn't be so quick to dismiss what Pete Carroll & his Coaches can dial up.

They were healthy last year, never were better then 7-9 with fisher... yet year 1 with Mcvay and they are 7-2 And have already scored more pts then they did last season... and you think it's not coaching ?
You damned straight, it most certainly IS Coaching, but it IS NOT JUST COACHING.
Both Bevell & Cable were the Coaches that HELPED Carroll & Co WIN the Seahawks FIRST EVER Super Bowl, and were also THERE when they went a SECOND TIME the following Year.
I've already said that a change in Coaching MIGHT help them rejuvenate Coaching philosophy, but that change ALONE is not a given for success, AND, even though you don't believe that the Seahawks Coaching are getting the most, or best of play out of the players, you're ignoring the fact that they have been IN the thick of competition, Year after Year, and going to the playoffs on a REGULAR BASIS.
Oh and, the Seahawks vaunted LOB (minus Browner) Secondary were ALL playing INJURED in our second Super Bowl appearance, and I believe that THAT was the reason Brady was able to recoup the 10 point deficit.....You could tell by Bill Billicheck & Tom Brady's shocked expressions, that they were LUCKY to have won that game.
Bevell made ONE CONTROVERSIAL call in that game, how many mistakes did our 'D' Coaches make with our high dollar, high octane Defense in that contest.
We lose some games to some very good Coached Teams, but we also WIN some games from some of those SAME good Coached Teams......"On Any Given Sunday"

TooAnnoying;dr

ALL CAPS HELPS GET YOUR point AcRoSs! :lol:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":1yb5geem said:
scutterhawk":1yb5geem said:
Ambrose83":1yb5geem said:
scutterhawk":1yb5geem said:

TooAnnoying;dr
WHAT?!?!, WHY?!?
It's for emphatic EMPHASIS :stirthepot:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
scutterhawk":301dsna4 said:
MontanaHawk05":301dsna4 said:
chris98251":301dsna4 said:

Every Year seems like a tear down & rebuild of our Offensive L-

No, that's not what I said. At all. Just stop.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":rxyayl0w said:
scutterhawk":rxyayl0w said:
hawkfan68":rxyayl0w said:

Definitely on Russell Wilson :irishdrinkers:

I believe Cable is the bigger problem but Bevell also factors into this somewhat too. It's a combination of both. I'm not sure if you read the link that I posted but further in the article it spoke to how Pat Shurmur, Vikes OC, designed a plan to work around some of the deficiencies of the Vikes OL and offense. In the game he designed plays that created favorable matchups for the QB - Sam Bradford to get into rhythm with his players, primarily WRs - Diggs and Thielen. Getting this helped them to gradually open the attack with some laser like tosses down the field.

Seahawks game plan is exactly the opposite, IMO. They throw deep and hope to get a big play from the get go rather than gradually work their way to that. Maybe they can take some lessons from the Vikes strategy. Sounds like that is the type of offense that PC prefers. A controlled offense with explosive plays.
Oh for sure Bevell has to carry some of the blame for not understanding that some of the plays that he dials up can't be executed as designed with the 'Can't Get'er Done' misfiring O-Line....Cable has his limitations as to how much Coaching those guys can absorb....Sometimes it clicks in the head, but doesn't translate from the neck down.
Bevell has to recognize their limitations, and design plays accordingly.
Also, maybe Duane Brown can impart some wisdom to some of the youngsters down line. eh?