The real reason we aren't rolling over people

HawkWow

Reaction score
pocketprotector":bv4od9m1 said:
Mick063":bv4od9m1 said:
The QB is holding the ball too long.
The QB is afraid to stick it in there with single coverage.
The QB won't throw it unless a receiver is wide open.....a rarity.

Maybe you could point to the specific plays where this happened. Or are you just parroting the nonsense that all the other trolls have been spewing on here?

So if someone has an opinion not shared by you, they are a parroting trolls?

There are times Russ holds the ball too long and typically, he is extremely cautious, either tucking it away or throwing it out of bounds (as most times he should). That doesn't mean he's no good and I don't think this poster said "he's no good". In so many words, he basically said Russ is afraid to turn the ball over.

What was the knock on TJack? "Holds the ball too long". Do you think this is coincidence or do you think Pete might be an absolute freak when it comes to turnovers? Do you actually think Michael has been hurt, or do you think Pete might be an absolute freak when it comes to turnovers?

"Maybe you could point to specific plays where this happened". And maybe you could buy a television so people don't have to hold your hand, pointing out the blatantly obvious.

Signed,
The guy that feels Russ is one of the best players in the league right now, even though he is very cautious and sometimes holds the ball too long.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":jz8t8ah7 said:
-The Glove-":jz8t8ah7 said:
pocketprotector":jz8t8ah7 said:
Mick063":jz8t8ah7 said:
The QB is holding the ball too long.
The QB is afraid to stick it in there with single coverage.
The QB won't throw it unless a receiver is wide open.....a rarity.

Maybe you could point to the specific plays where this happened. Or are you just parroting the nonsense that all the other trolls have been spewing on here?
Sounds like this QB doesn't even belong in the NFL...Seahawks should get rid of him

We should go get the backup QB in Green Bay. That always works.

Yeah, that Hasselbeck guy sure sucked.

If you're going to jump in with pack, Hass, you might want to pick your spots better.

Dayum.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
HawkWow":1jhs5dy7 said:
"Maybe you could point to specific plays where this happened". And maybe you could buy a television so people don't have to hold your hand, pointing out the blatantly obvious.

So you can tell which wrs are open that he is not pulling the trigger on from the television broadcast? Wow, that is quite a trick given the fact that they very rarely show the wrs downfield before the throw.

Please go and purchase nfl game rewind so i don't have to hold your hand on this topic.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Mick063":q76pxf3n said:
Calling it like I see it.

I see helter skelter. It is Lotto passing attack. Sometimes a big play. Most the time not. Nothing consistent to build around.

Most of the time not? Nothing consistent to build around? You realize you are talking about the only qb in the history of the league to start his career with two straight 100+ passer ratings, don't you? Whether a parrot or a troll, your opinion doesn't match with the facts.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I don't disagree with most of (well, some of ) the stuff written above, but for me it is the same thing over and over. It is all about playing mistake free football. And I am not just talking about the players. These guys are playing their butts off, but our own mistakes are what is stopping us from playing at a championship level once again. I lost track of how many times I bitched about the penalties last year. You can't keep spotting team's like Dallas or San Diego a hundred yards of penalties and survive it. A lot of the mistakes we have seen are injury related as well. Kam is playing hurt and it almost looks like Earl has been either hiding an injury or simply not playing with the intensity he had last year. The Loss of Wagner is going to be huge I suspect. So until we get the Secondary healthy it simply means we have to start getting better production out of our Offense. If I were Wilson (Pete, Bevell) I would be dragging my OL(and Receiving corps) into the Film room every damn day at 5AM until they got their "excrement" together! When this team plays mistake free football there is no team in football that can hang with them! The Superbowl was evidence of that.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Ok so after I wrote the above I had to go and check myself and it turns out that I was overstating the 100 yards of penalties! My Bad! I then went and got the numbers for each game this year. I do not have the time or the resources to go back through every game and see which penalties negated large plays, stopped drives, took points off the board etc. But I think its clear that this is one aspect of the game that can and must be cleaned up.

Green Bay- 4 penalties for 69 yards, Win. Time of possession 33:20
San Diego - 8 penalties for 53 yards, loss. Time of possession 17:45
Denver - 7 penalties for 34 yards, Win. Time of possession 38:04
Washington – 13 penalties for 90 yards, Win. Time of possession 34:56
Dallas – 9 penalties for 58 yards, loss. Time of possession 22:21.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2mhs1mzx said:
Green Bay- 4 penalties for 69 yards, Win. Time of possession 33:20
San Diego - 8 penalties for 53 yards, loss. Time of possession 17:45
Denver - 7 penalties for 34 yards, Win. Time of possession 38:04
Washington – 13 penalties for 90 yards, Win. Time of possession 34:56
Dallas – 9 penalties for 58 yards, loss. Time of possession 22:21.
To me the TOP is huge for this team, underside but quick defense an all. Thanks for this. Not sure penalties are relevant or not, but by your table it appears that might be the case.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The real reason is this is the NFL, very rarely do teams roll over anybody, even the great teams.

The 2013 Hawks team was one of the most talented teams in the history of the NFL, and we lost three games, and had another 6 games including the playoffs that were decided by 7 pts or less, and came down to a late series or overtime.

Those six games could have gone either way. What's happening this year is some of these games ARE going the other way.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The real reason is we aren't as good as we were last year and we aren't going to be as good as we were last year.

Doesn't mean we can't win it all, just means it will be even harder.

Threedee

Reaction score
Actually, the SB 48 blowout looked more like the 2012 team than the 2013 team, if we are going with comparisons.

kearly

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3sq3aag7 said:
We had lots of games last year that we didn't just "roll over" people. Where this idea that we blow everyone out came from I don't know.

It's made up in your minds.

Sure, Seattle plays in close games every year, but in the previous seasons they also are good for a huge blowout win every third week. So far in 2014, Seattle's point differential per game is much smaller than 2013's or 2012's. Even the back end of 2011 had a ton of blowout wins.

To the OP. I think if Seattle wants to get back to rolling people over, they need to activate Michael and make this offense 100% about dominating on the ground. We may not be able to play the bully on defense anymore because of the 2014 rules emphasis, but we can bully teams on the offensive side still. I think that's where the focus of this team needs to be.

It's hardly a coincidence that the two games where Seattle abandoned the run were the two games Seattle got beat and got beat badly. On the flipside, Lynch can make 3.4 yards per carry feel like 5.0 yards a carry in certain games, Denver being one of them. Seattle fed Lynch the ball and though he only got Seattle 88 rushing yards, his performance was crucial in a Seahawks win against an elite team.

Mick063

Reaction score
pocketprotector":1g1hs34c said:
HawkWow":1g1hs34c said:

So you can tell which wrs are open that he is not pulling the trigger on from the television broadcast? Wow, that is quite a trick given the fact that they very rarely show the wrs downfield before the throw.

Please go and purchase nfl game rewind so i don't have to hold your hand on this topic.

With Lynch in the backfield and at least three receivers in pattern, there will always, always be a receiver not doubled up in man coverage. Every quarterback worth his salt will give his receiver a chance to make a play if he is singled up. Every time a quarterback reads the coverage, he is looking for a receiver singled up. Every time a quarterback looks off a safety, he is attempting to put a receiver in single coverage. I don't need NFL rewind or all 22 to review the receivers that I can't see from a television broadcast. I know, without a doubt, that at least one of them is singled up. The truth is Russ doesn't throw to them. He tucks the ball and attempts to scramble drill them to be wide open instead. These are the football facts of life.

I wouldn't let you hold my hand if you were Miss Universe.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Mick063":18cdq0c6 said:
Every quarterback worth his salt will give his receiver a chance to make a play if he is singled up. Every time a quarterback reads the coverage, he is looking for a receiver singled up. Every time a quarterback looks off a safety, he is attempting to put a receiver in single coverage.
I agree that we want those one on one situations but it's a lot more complicated than you make it sound. Do you think Austin Davis is going to be throwing at Quick every time Sherman is in solo coverage on him, regardless of how open Quick is? Of course not.

Consider some of those QB-receiver combos where you know the QB is going to be pulling the trigger a lot if he sees that receiver in single coverage. They tend to either be receivers who create separation with speed/length to give the QB an opportunity to put the ball where only they can catch it ('12 Sidney Rice), or they tend to be physical receivers who will come down with the ball in traffic even if the defender gets his hand on it ('13 Golden Tate).

Who is that receiver for us? Percy Harvin if we send him on a route eventually. Beyond that, RW probably shouldn't be throwing to receivers if they aren't open, and "open" is a nebulous concept. Our receivers had a chance to make a handful of contested catches vs. the Cowboys and they came down with none of them, so it isn't at all clear that we just need to increase the attempts.

Mick063

Reaction score
AgentDib":yaqptzok said:
Mick063":yaqptzok said:
Every quarterback worth his salt will give his receiver a chance to make a play if he is singled up. Every time a quarterback reads the coverage, he is looking for a receiver singled up. Every time a quarterback looks off a safety, he is attempting to put a receiver in single coverage.
I agree that we want those one on one situations but it's a lot more complicated than you make it sound. Do you think Austin Davis is going to be throwing at Quick every time Sherman is in solo coverage on him, regardless of how open Quick is? Of course not.

Consider some of those QB-receiver combos where you know the QB is going to be pulling the trigger a lot if he sees that receiver in single coverage. They tend to either be receivers who create separation with speed/length to give the QB an opportunity to put the ball where only they can catch it ('12 Sidney Rice), or they tend to be physical receivers who will come down with the ball in traffic even if the defender gets his hand on it ('13 Golden Tate).

Who is that receiver for us? Percy Harvin if we send him on a route eventually. Beyond that, RW probably shouldn't be throwing to receivers if they aren't open, and "open" is a nebulous concept. Our receivers had a chance to make a handful of contested catches vs. the Cowboys and they came down with none of them, so it isn't at all clear that we just need to increase the attempts.

Kearse has demonstrated a large catch radius. He goes after the ball at the high point very well.

Seattle has time invested in a speedy tight end. Perhaps he isn't up to snuff?

Harvin is too busy catching passes at the line of scrimmage, in Bevel's obsessed pursuit of YAC plays, for us to truly know if he can consistently beat single coverage downfield. Personally, I believe if DJax or Hilton can do it, then so can Percy.

There is an ultra quick rookie receiver that is largely inactive. At the very least, he could be drawing a safety deep to clear room for Baldwin underneath.

So this isn't all on Russell. He isn't put into the best situation to succeed. Regardless, he isn't challenging the coverage nearly as much as he should. The rules are designed to let it rip. He isn't doing it. At the very least, Seattle could get 1-3 more interference calls a game for first downs. Such is the modern NFL as demonstrated lately by the best secondary in football.

This isn't black or white. It isn't all or nothing. There are many times when Russell correctly doesn't pull the trigger. There are many other times when he should pull the trigger and does not. Earlier in the season, before the Dallas debacle, Kurt Warner spelled it out rather convincingly, showing video of Russell declining to pull the trigger when the play was there, instead tucking the ball and running (albeit for acceptable yardage I will concede). Perhaps the constant practicing against the Seattle secondary on "Turnover Thursday" has him gun shy. Perhaps his own secondary has made him lose confidence in his receivers to make a play.

All I know is that a NFL quarterback can't make a living waiting for receivers to get wide open. It just doesn't happen enough. It is why Aaron Rogers throws the back shoulder fade, a play designed for covered receivers, and a staple of his passing diet. It is why Bret Farve threw a few interceptions....all the way to the Hall of Fame. The best of the best know there is risk involved, but they are good enough, and confident enough to stick the ball in there. They trust their receivers can get the job done.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkWow":31mq6ke1 said:
Hasselbeck":31mq6ke1 said:
We should go get the backup QB in Green Bay. That always works.

Yeah, that Hasselbeck guy sure sucked.

If you're going to jump in with pack, Hass, you might want to pick your spots better.

Dayum.

attachment.php

Basis4day

Reaction score
I don't recall is rolling over everyone last year as many seem to pretend.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":2u14e5w9 said:
..........I think if Seattle wants to get back to rolling people over, they need to activate Michael and make this offense 100% about dominating on the ground. We may not be able to play the bully on defense anymore because of the 2014 rules emphasis, but we can bully teams on the offensive side still. I think that's where the focus of this team needs to be......
Agree with this. TOP is big for this team as it keeps the undersized but quick defense off the field and fresh. I would love to see Beast and Michael rotating for freshness and 35 rush attempts per game. Watch those occasional deep strikes be a lot more effective too.

Largent80

Reaction score
Actually, there are so many reasons that everything is different this year.

#1.) The schedule. We start on a Thursday, play a great game then have to wait 11 days for the next game. The next game was vs. San Diego. It was well over 100 degrees and the Chargers not only had the perfect game plan to keep our D on the field but Rivers and Gates had career days. When we scored, we scored too fast and the D was right back on the field.

Next up, Denver the following Sunday with revenge on their minds and us licking our wounds. We actually played very well but it came down to overtime. THEN, we get the bye week....14 days off again, so that is at least 25 days of no football in that one stretch. We play a game on Monday night with 13 penalties and 3 TD's taken off the board.

Next? Dallas, they are playing very well and come in with that good O-line and even though they spotted us at least one TD, the combination of our mistakes and injuries (practice squad nickel with one day of practice...losing Wagner) and abysmal playcalling ended up with a big fat loss.

2.) Injuries. We are down to jack squat at cornerback with Maxwell out. Simon and Lane-out....Wagner is out. Okung has been playing injured yet again. Zach Miller is out, Unger out. Get the picture?

3.) Teams we have played and lost to are both 5-1.

4.) Offensive continuity....play calling and execution.

5.) overall depth.

6.) Loss of 3 DL players

This list could just keep going but the good news is we will be getting Simon and Lane back soon, Maxwell is not injured as bad as first feared. Miller should be back soon. The next few teams we face are winnable games for this team if we can get some continuity which I believe has never gotten going because of our weird early schedule.

The NFL is set up for parity and some of the teams that have had high draft picks for years are starting to play well (Dallas). Just a few of my thoughts.

XOXO

John Robinson

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
kearly":2ai5atkc said:
I think if Seattle wants to get back to rolling people over, they need to activate Michael and make this offense 100% about dominating on the ground. We may not be able to play the bully on defense anymore because of the 2014 rules emphasis, but we can bully teams on the offensive side still. I think that's where the focus of this team needs to be.

Sadly I am beginning to wonder if this will ever happen. Everyone seems to think it is Michaels lack of Blocking Prowess that he has been benched. After the last game I think that argument is out the frigging window because... surprise nobody can block! Get that kid the rock and lets see what happens!
:snack: