The "Reasons To Keep Marshawn" Thread

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Whatever happens, happens. I noticed early in the season he seemed to check himself out once in
a while, just so Rawls could get some playing time. At least that's what I intimated, from my fan pov.
I think he was getting Rawls ready to take over.

Whether its Beast getting tired of the pounding his body is taking, personal/personnel issues going on
behind closed doors, or maybe things 'just got weird', who knows. I hope we find out for sure some day.
Would definitely be interesting to know.

It boils down to two things:
1. Does ML want to be here?
2. Does PC/JS want him to be here?

I doubt he stays.

Zorn76

Reaction score
It just feels like he's done.

Either way - and even with Rawls likely making a full recovery - we need to draft another solid RB this spring in the draft. This offense still needs a runner that is more than just plug-and-play material to compliment Rawls. Good ones can be found in later rounds anyway, so might as well use a pick on one.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
chris98251":3oy153j7 said:
timmat":3oy153j7 said:
This is not intended to be a debate thread. There have been many good points made in other threads regarding why Marshawn should be done in Seattle. So if you're inclined to make a post from that perspective, there are other "Thanks But See Ya Later" type threads available to you.

But let's see some reasons why the Hawks should consider bringing him back. Here are a few of mine:

Health - With less pounding this year and a longer off-season, Marshawn could be really fresh for next year (with the big assumption he fully heels from the surgery).

Performance - Beast still looked fierce to me. The O line was terrible at the beginning of the year when he got most of his touches. Not much any RB (or QB) can do when they are greeted in the backfield by multiple defenders as soon as you receive the ball. O line wasn't great in SB years either, but the beginning of this year took it to a new low.

Financial - Beast counts $5 mil or so against the cap next year, even if we cut him. So for a net addition of $6 mil or so, you can have Marshawn Lynch. If you cut Lynch and bring in another veteran to round out the RB corps, anyone decent will be at least $4 mill. If another veteran RB worth a salt is a consideration, it makes no sense to cut him.

Rawls - Love him. Love his attitude, nature, playing style, and of course, the results we saw. However, Lynch pounded his body for years and years before his first major injury. Rawls sustained a season-ending injury after just a handful of games. Now it would be unfair to claim that Rawls is not durable. Might have just been an unlucky situation. But Beast has come out of a zillion pileups without brakes or injury. Point is we're still not sure how durable Rawls is. We're a better team with both of them.

Play calling and Philosophy - Even during Wilson's amazing stretch of games, our run/pass splits remained consistent. If our play callers could wrap their heads around calling a game in that more open fashion even WITH Beast playing, it would be sweet. You can spread things out a bit more AND play Marshawn. Plus with more WRs ( no blocking TE) you need a stud RB pass protector. Marshawn is just that. This point requires flexibility by the OC though, so who knows there.

Kicking Butt For Another NFC Team - Do we really want to be on the hook for a $5 mill Beast cap hit AND watch him tear it up for Dallas, Arizona, SF, etc?

So, what are other good reasons to keep Beastmode?

His in depth interviews :)

He helps the other RB's out a lot and is a great team mate, others have said that on this team, he is not the easiest guy to associate with though and seems a bit anti establishment, I don't think Bevell likes him at all and there is a problem there, especially after what Bevell said Sunday.

Somewhat amazingly, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell acknowledged that same concept in pregame comments to Britt McHenry of ESPN. “You never know,” Bevell said regarding whether Lynch will play. “He can change his mind pregame.”

That's a shot from Bevell, all the games here if Lynch could play he played, got treatment and came in, and played never wanted to be on the sidelines if he was on the field. This is just like Bevells comments on Lockette. Just makes me want Bevell gone all the more. Siouxhawk I am sure will say that Bevell had to be miss quoted or was talking off the record or some other lame excuse. Really in my mind tells me the kind of person Bevell is for the second time in a year.

Oh and here is the Link in case I am accused of making it up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/17/marshawn-lynch-will-play-but-how-much/

Oh, good god the spins!

That was not 'a shot' at Lynch! GAME TIME DECISION means just that.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
el capitan":1i6x1vbd said:
At this point in time I don't think it's good for him to be on the team, from what it appears when he's around the players are divided between him and Wilson. There's been reports of this dating back to when he almost didn't get on the plane to St Louis last year after PCJS traded Harvin. Notice how much better the whole team played, especially the offense, when Marshawn went California to rehab after his operation. And as soon as he returns to the team we revert back to the shitty team that started the season 2-4. I honestly think him being here is actually detrimental to the team right now.

Yes, he was pretty 'detrimental' while throwing some damn nice blocks for Russ during the second-half comeback. Inexcusable that he didn't do more with the 6 whole carries after we went in the hole 14pts in a span of 5 minutes.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Anthony!":2n3qycr0 said:
Since you do not want anything but positive why we should keep him stuff I will refrain form saying anything.

If he wanted something positive, he shoulda asked about Russ. Am I riiiiiiiight, Anthony?! :lol: :stirthepot:

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
There is NO logical reason to bring him back. NONE.

He was paid about 4 times what he was worth to us this year.
He will be really expensive next year.
He is now old for a RB.

To the person/people saying he will have fresh legs, there are RBs who haven't taken a hit in several years and have fresh legs, that doesn't mean they can still play at a high level.

He doesn't go along with the program. He does his own thing and anyone who has ever worked with someone who just does their own thing will probably agree that it causes problems.

We played poorly when he was healthy, played great when he was hurt, and then played poorly again when he came back.

When you add everything up, Lynch in 2016 is more likely to look like the 2015 Lynch than the Lynch of previous years, with a big salary and cap hit and difficult personality to work with.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Imo, the team sustained too many distractions during the off-season that bled into the regular season.

My preference is they take a decisive step with Marshawn.

I love him but at this point, he's another distraction that erodes this team's commitment and focus.

I hate lingering issues like extended contract negotiations and players constantly grousing about their contracts.

My preference today is they cut him after June 1st.

We need the cap space to take care of our UFAs like Mebane, Lane, Rubin, Kearse, and Sweezy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I was against the added money last time and would be heavily against it here for obvious reasons. But since you asked for a reasons the one way I would approve(and it won't happen) is a reduced salary and he becomes our third down back with Rawls as our early down back. He would have to take a big paycut and not sure I can see that happening or if its even possible.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
The thing that separates good front offices from great front offices is being able to separate the emotions that come from your heart and the logic that comes from your brain.

Our front office is great.

Marshawn Lynch will not be playing in Seattle next year but I am so grateful for everything he's done. We don't have this string of success without him, but this is Russ' team now.

bighawk

Reaction score
There is no reason to keep Marshawn he has become too big of a distraction with the team and Rawls is better and cheaper. Michaels has finally got the message that u must work hard and focus on your craft to make it in the league. So I hate saying this but Lynch must go.

cHawkPhan

Reaction score
38th in YPC among runners with at least 100 touches; Rawls was 1st

2016 Record (including playoffs)with Marshawn - 3-5
Record without Marshawn Lynch - 8-2

Players careers all must come to an end, but we fans will always remember 'BeastQuake'. A play that will remain in Seahawks lore forever.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3gt9b824 said:
seahawks08":3gt9b824 said:
I wouldn't do anything to him, I will wait until training camp or later and see how he is health wise. .

If Pete/JC wait til' camp to figure out a next move, they fail. A decision needs to be made pre-draft & FA.

You don't have to wait to make moves. They know what everyone else knows, and that is that with or without Lynch this season, Rawls is our "next man up". Having Rawls means that Lynch is expendable, but it also means we can wait on the decision without it negatively affecting the team. What we need to decide is on Michael. I believe he's a RFA this year which means we could tender him or not. If we do, then I'd look for us to grab an undrafted guy. If we let Michael go, then we would likely go after someone in the draft to be the 2/3 guy. Either way, we have time to make a decision with Lynch.

With all that said, we may not even get a say in it. He may well call it a career and retire. I think he came back for one more shot at the ring, and whether that means he wanted to play one season to see what happens or that he wanted to play a few more (or until we made another super bowl), is something only he and maybe the team knows.

For those saying Lynch doesn't have the heart to play, he could have easily hung it up and gone on IR when he had the surgery, but instead, he worked his butt off and came back to play. That's not a guy without heart. Anyone who questions Lynch's heart, truly has no clue.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rawl's health and durability is the ONLY reason I could see keeping Marshawn................at a greatly reduced salary.

But that ain't gonna happen, Lynch isn't the kind of player that would accept making 4-5M a year, he'll just retire.

We all love our Beast Mode, and IMO he deserves to be in the ring of honor, but it's time to move on. We now know what we didn't know last year, that life without Marshawn isn't the franchise crippling blow we all thought it was.

samwize77

Reaction score
I believe ML has another couple years in him. He might not be the old beast but he'll still be a beast if he wishes to give it all his last couple years.
However, having said that. I believe if Pete is leaning toward a different scheme on offensive, I think its time to move on.
$ vs scheme = no more Beast. And if that's the case.......
Thank you Beast for all the thrills and chills, for all the effort and all the wackiness that makes you special. You are in that group of players that actually did make a difference.

hawkfan51

Reaction score
This may sound simplistic and naive in NFL terms BUT how about the fact that the Seattle Seahawks and Marshawn Lynch agreed and signed a two year contract for him to play football. In most any other "contractual situations" one party or the other cannot just tear it up and pretend it never existed. I understand there may be other terms in there contract but how about both sides just honoring the "main" reason there was a contract in the first place and that is for BEASTMODE to play football for the Seattle Seahawks till the contract expires? I for one would hate to see ML no longer be a Seahawk !
GO HAWKS !!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan51":qbnigeqh said:
This may sound simplistic and naive in NFL terms BUT how about the fact that the Seattle Seahawks and Marshawn Lynch agreed and signed a two year contract for him to play football. In most any other "contractual situations" one party or the other cannot just tear it up and pretend it never existed. I understand there may be other terms in there contract but how about both sides just honoring the "main" reason there was a contract in the first place and that is for BEASTMODE to play football for the Seattle Seahawks till the contract expires? I for one would hate to see ML no longer be a Seahawk !
GO HAWKS !!

If this was the case no player would ever ask for more money or holdout.......and no team would ever cut a player regardless of salary.

So yes, it's naive.

If you do not perform to the level of your contract, you are asked to take a pay cut, or you're cut entirely. Sounds harsh, but IMO this dynamic is why the NFL is the fantastic parity super competitive league that it is. If all these contracts were guaranteed, then it'd be like baseball or basketball where teams are strapped and stink for decades.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's not even about the contract. Marshawn may even have a couple good years left.

It's just time. For the team, for him. It's time.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised there are 35 responses to this thread. I cannot think of 1 except to protect Rawls. The cost and his distractions clearly are not worth that since we have too many other priorities in the draft.

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2xqcr6an said:
Anthony!":2xqcr6an said:
Since you do not want anything but positive why we should keep him stuff I will refrain form saying anything.

If he wanted something positive, he shoulda asked about Russ. Am I riiiiiiiight, Anthony?! :lol: :stirthepot:

Actually no your not, and I can say somethings nice about lynch its just I do not believe we should keep him. Example he ran the wrong route in the last game, while he did throw some nice blocks I have seen rawls, and CM do that. I like his toughness but feel this is Wilsons team and the spread works best for us and Lynch is not a spread back. He is not quick enough. HE is a smash mouth back and we right now cannot run that well enough. Mind you just because we run the spread does not mean we will not run. Also his cap hit is way to high, and with him here there will always be some confusion as to whose team this. In the first half we tried to run our old Lynch style offense and did nothing, in the 2nd half we ran the spread and moved the ball. Lynch is not suited for the spread.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawkfan51":nxjcetdh said:
GO HAWKS !!

yes perhaps but then player should not threaten hold out or to retire for more money like he did.

Latest posts