The record doesn't say it all......

mikeak

Reaction score
We went 9-7 last year.....

We may go 10-6 or 9-7 this year

So according to our record we are about the same team...………

I am guessing most of you would say we are NOTHING like last year's team. This feels like 2012 not 2017

My point is after 2016 season a lot of us were upset because it looked bad. It felt bad, it wasn't fun. Others just kept pointing out our record as a reason why it was a good team...….

To me sports and Seahawks is entertainment. It is giving me joy and happiness and some fun times at the games or watching at home. When the product is bad it is perfectly fine and understandable why people turn despite the record.

So no matter how this season ends, excluding the first two games, it has been FUN!!!! Things have improved and the team has gelled. Now we hope we build on this through the playoffs as we beat some random AFC team for the super bowl, but regardless of outcome I am excited not only for the next game, but for the next season.

I hope everyone has a great Xmas and next time remember the record doesn't say it all no matter what some famous coach said about records...…..

and yes we are talking playoffs!!!!

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Yup. Young and underestimated. Playing with a chip on their shoulder.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Smash-mouth football is back in town.

The way football should be played.

SlickRick

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":1gliy78j said:
Yup. Young and underestimated. Playing with a chip on their shoulder.

Faxx , right on the money Sox n hawks ,young and hungry to prove themselves is when Seattle is at their best. Or aslong as they are all in on the team 1st

kf3339

Reaction score
mikeak":2npb0z68 said:

I am guessing most of you would say we are NOTHING like last year's team. This feels like 2012 not 2017

My point is after 2016 season a lot of us were upset because it looked bad. It felt bad, it wasn't fun. Others just kept pointing out our record as a reason why it was a good team...….

To me sports and Seahawks is entertainment. It is giving me joy and happiness and some fun times at the games or watching at home. When the product is bad it is perfectly fine and understandable why people turn despite the record.

So no matter how this season ends, excluding the first two games, it has been FUN!!!! Things have improved and the team has gelled. Now we hope we build on this through the playoffs as we beat some random AFC team for the super bowl, but regardless of outcome I am excited not only for the next game, but for the next season.

I hope everyone has a great Xmas and next time remember the record doesn't say it all no matter what some famous coach said about records...…..

:ditto: :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
last year with what we had was a failure..
This year it's the opposite.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
mikeak":1ioezmyx said:

I have been thinking about this for weeks now. The question was is 2018 a better team than the 2017 team? I came to the conclusion that the answer is yes about a month or so ago. The 2017 team was arguably a couple of missed Walsh FGs from going 11-5. Even if he hit those FGs, this team at 9-7/10-6 is noticeably better than 2017. The 2018 Seahawks are truly a team. The 2017 Seahawks were a bunch of guys in disarray playing mostly for themselves. There were a few that bought into the team concept but the malcontents made it a dysfunctional group that wasn’t fun to watch. I have enjoyed this season perhaps as much or more than any other season since the 1976 Seahawks. It’s fun it’s exciting it’s competitive and it’s a bunch of guys playing for each other. Thanks Pete, John, and the continuing spirit and guiding influence of the late great Paul Allen. It’s a great time to be a Seattle Seahawks fan!

Steve2222

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":fv4nea9s said:
mikeak":fv4nea9s said:

I have been thinking about this for weeks now. The question was is 2018 a better team than the 2017 team? I came to the conclusion that the answer is yes about a month or so ago. The 2017 team was arguably a couple of missed Walsh FGs from going 11-5. Even if he hit those FGs, this team at 9-7/10-6 is noticeably better than 2017. The 2018 Seahawks are truly a team. The 2017 Seahawks were a bunch of guys in disarray playing mostly for themselves. There were a few that bought into the team concept but the malcontents made it a dysfunctional group that wasn’t fun to watch. I have enjoyed this season perhaps as much or more than any other season since the 1976 Seahawks. It’s fun it’s exciting it’s competitive and it’s a bunch of guys playing for each other. Thanks Pete, John, and the continuing spirit and guiding influence of the late great Paul Allen. It’s a great time to be a Seattle Seahawks fan!

This is the team you’ve enjoyed the most since 1976? lol so you thought 76 was more enjoyable than 05, 12, and 13? That’s really odd.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Steve2222":35gq3brn said:
oldhawkfan":35gq3brn said:
mikeak":35gq3brn said:

This is the team you’ve enjoyed the most since 1976? lol so you thought 76 was more enjoyable than 05, 12, and 13? That’s really odd.

The journey not necessarily the end result. In this Super Bowl years I was way more nervous and anxious about games than this year. Not having lofty expectations helps with the enjoyment of the game. And now with the playoffs locked in, we get bonus Seahawks football. And I said I have “enjoyed it perhaps as much or more”.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
It is an interesting thing.

I keep reading about our huge turnaround....when in reality we havent really turned anything around record wise. This team will finish about the same as last year (even though we will be in the playoffs this year due to the NFC being a bit down)

The difference (besides style of play of course) is mostly in our minds. Because we convinced ourselves that this team was going to be terrible, it FEELS much different to be 9-6 this year unlike the 9-6 we sat at 365 days ago.

Now yes the team is hungry, chip on shoulder, young guys yadda yadda. All true. All great! I love this team and their passion and it has been fun. But we havent turned it around as much as re-energized while maintaining our winning ways.

Pretty cool.

mrt144

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1a143lqz said:
mikeak":1a143lqz said:

Most games last year felt like a huge struggle. Some of them were fun but a lot fell into the same pattern and it felt like drowning and just barely getting above the water to catch your breath.

This feels like actual swimming.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Steve2222":2nudewrm said:
oldhawkfan":2nudewrm said:
mikeak":2nudewrm said:

For some reason, looking back, that 05 team is one of the most forgettable Seahawk teams for me. I can name more players from the Zorn era than the 05 team. Something about that team I never trusted. Might have something to do with Alexander being my least favorite Hawk of all time and that's including players all that have ever put on the jersey.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawkpower":hunsaace said:
It is an interesting thing.

I keep reading about our huge turnaround....when in reality we havent really turned anything around record wise. This team will finish about the same as last year (even though we will be in the playoffs this year due to the NFC being a bit down)

The difference (besides style of play of course) is mostly in our minds. Because we convinced ourselves that this team was going to be terrible, it FEELS much different to be 9-6 this year unlike the 9-6 we sat at 365 days ago.

Now yes the team is hungry, chip on shoulder, young guys yadda yadda. All true. All great! I love this team and their passion and it has been fun. But we havent turned it around as much as re-energized while maintaining our winning ways.

Pretty cool.

I agree about hungry, chip on shoulder etc BUT I disagree on your thinking we haven't turned around. Why is two reasons

1) We did churn the roster and while we weren't bad for a season we actually are younger, have cap room and are ready to get back on trajectory getting better instead of stagnant / getting worse

2) What isn't in my mind is that both the 2016 and 2017 season were NOT entertaining to me. That is for the majority of games. Sure there were great moments but despite a good record in 2016 it wasn't fun. The O-line stunk so bad and the playcalling was horrendous. I don't care (and stated it) that we were winning it wasn't fun to watch. It is why the first two games of the season were so depressing to me because I thought we changed coaches and ended up in the same place

3) PC acknowledged giving more free reins after game 2 and that is what we are seeing. Different philosophy - more fun football which is not a change in our mind. It is a change in the product. Is the team BETTER overall - maybe not, but it is more entertaining regardless of our expectations

sutz

Reaction score
It's fairly simple to me. At 9-7, last year's team had no future. At (currently) 9-6, this year's team has a future so bright we're gonna need shades.

:0190l:

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I enjoyed 2015 because Russ tore it up

I enjoyed 2016 because we made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs despite Russ having a pectoral tear and knee injury

I enjoyed 2017 because we almost overcame a terrible kicker and zero running game to make it to the playoffs

Every Seahawks year has been a story of resilience and growth. I have no complaints because 90% of fans in the league would KILL to have the last 7 years for their team. Too many ungrateful Hawks fans in my opinion

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Scorpion05":ct4p4y3c said:

I enjoyed 2016 because we made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs despite Russ having a pectoral tear and knee injury

I enjoyed 2017 because we almost overcame a terrible kicker and zero running game to make it to the playoffs

Every Seahawks year has been a story of resilience and growth. I have no complaints because 90% of fans in the league would KILL to have the last 7 years for their team. Too many ungrateful Hawks fans in my opinion

Umm we didn't make the playoffs in 2017. But you were right about the bad kicker and zero running game. We at least fixed one of those problems.

2017 was awful because we started every game with atrocious gamelans and execution and basically waited to the 4th quarter to unleash desperation Russ in hopes he could carry a crap offence to victory.

We lost games be larger margins than we had in years under Pete. We saw the disintegration of the LOB. It was a Greek tragedy on display.

2018 saw a renewal. Young hungry players at every level. Re-investment in the running game. Back to the dominant wins and close losses, being in every game to the bitter end. Back to being the toughest dudes on the block.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This team is FUN! They are loaded with fun players and personalities. This new era, post LOB era is exciting watching the new pups find their way and become bona-fide bad asses in the league. I smell another Championship window opening up again. More fun times to come!

sc85sis

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3jnfxx7w said:
Scorpion05":3jnfxx7w said:

Umm we didn't make the playoffs in 2017.

I think thats why he wrote that we “almost overcame...to make it.” [emoji6]

chris98251

Reaction score
People say we are not that much different then last year really have not paid attention, the record says one thing at first glance, look beneath that and you see a completely different team and philosophy on the offense line and how we design and implement plays, you have a almost total overhaul on defense with new coaches at DC,OC,OL and I am missing one somewhere.

To turn us around and make it so obscure to the casual eye is a testament to how huge this turnaround has been to all those that are really paying attention. Remember we were written off as a team at the start of the season as losers and a 4 and 12 team.