The Roger Goodell thread

hawk45

Reaction score
Jiggy":3mjio5iv said:
This may be Goodells death blow:

MAJOR NFL Sponsor Frustrated With Goodell

Money talks

How stupid would you have to be to cut ties with the NFL, come on. Not happening in a million trillion years. Cutting ties with an athlete is one thing, if that athlete screws up the brand is tainted. This is a blip on the screen for the NFL.

What I love also is, it's not the wife-beating or drugs mentioned in the article that would cause the sponsor to jump ship, no, it's the (cue evil music) inconsistencies of Goodell. I have seen some idiotic things around this event but this takes the cake.

On the Jon Stewart front, ouch, that has to hurt. Even Goodell watching that has to feel the body blow and be like....damn...nothing presented there was false really and boy do I look terrible.

nanomoz

Reaction score
People speaking on behalf of sentiments like "why didn't we complain like this when Leonard Little . . . " are really missing the big picture.

Many of us were. And the new emphasis on personal conduct of NFL employees are because of these complaints. These changes and newly emphasized conduct policies didn't occur in a vacuum.

People that want change seize opportunities.

I was moaning just as loud when the first Ray Rice footage came out. But I'm aware that people are lazy and written accounts of his wife's injuries just aren't as impactful to our lazy-as-hell, Twitter-fed populace.

So, when the elevator footage came out, those of us that have been bothered all along saw an opportunity to make more noise, knowing more people would watch a short video than read a criminal report (or a summation of that report).

Main theme: these changes and new emphasis aren't as simple as some politically correct, feigned outrage. For some, sure, it is.

But plenty of people have been blowing these horns for years, and it was exactly that noise that helped us get to where we are now. If you don't like it, my bad.

A

Anonymous

nanomoz":3hk9ftk2 said:
People speaking on behalf of sentiments like "why didn't we complain like this when Leonard Little . . . " are really missing the big picture.

Many of us were. And the new emphasis on personal conduct of NFL employees are because of these complaints. These changes and newly emphasized conduct policies didn't occur in a vacuum.

People that want change seize opportunities.

I was moaning just as loud when the first Ray Rice footage came out. But I'm aware that people are lazy and written accounts of his wife's injuries just aren't as impactful to our lazy-as-hell, Twitter-fed populace.

So, when the elevator footage came out, those of us that have been bothered all along saw an opportunity to make more noise, knowing more people would watch a short video than read a criminal report (or a summation of that report).

Main theme: these changes and new emphasis aren't as simple as some politically correct, feigned outrage. For some, sure, it is.

But plenty of people have been blowing these horns for years, and it was exactly that noise that helped us get to where we are now. If you don't like it, my bad.

Good post.

Video, especially unedited raw footage, hitting the airwaves almost immediately, and bypassing the media and law enforcement, is changing a whole lot of things.

This is game-changing stuff that will prove to be a very effective rat poison.

chris98251

Reaction score
People need to learn, the hills have eyes, the walls have ears, and everything and anything you do that has a public setting or even in semi private can be traced and heard or viewed. Phones, Computers, and soon two way Television communication, yeah soon they will be able to see you thru your TV or the facsimile there of.

Things that people did, said or got away with 5, 10, 20, 50 years ago are not going to be able to be hushed or hidden going forward, we are all exposed in one way shape or form.

Behaviors will have to adjust to a new form of society, you can't just jail everyone, then again you can't have everyone be a bunch of lemmings either. Well I guess you can, that would make the elitist very happy being able to herd the populace around.

nanomoz

Reaction score
And Roland wins the thread. Whoda thunk it?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2hzymnnq said:
............................not to mention that his time as an NFL executive and eventual commissioner saw the league attempt to discredit research done into CTE in NFL alumni and fight against the concussion lawsuit before finally settling when the science became too overwhelming to refute.
Possibly the worst thing he and the NFL have ever done and it was done solely in the name of money. Total bullshit.

Thanks for reminding us of this Volsung. It's something no fan of pro football should ever forget.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is a huge fumblerooskie by Goodell.

He goofs on the initial penalty, even if his denial of seeing the tape is believed, his response was inadequate.

He sets a new policy, but then fails to follow it.

He responds to public pressure when faced with reality by ignoring the CBA formula for punishments in case of illegal behaviour. He creates a situation that leads to justifiable incredulity about the initial decision while responding in a knee jerk fashion to quell public pressure. All this points to a justifiable assessment that he is either stupid or dishonest.

Does anyone think that Ray Rice hasn't got claim against the league for this ham handed indefinite suspension?

The league will be better off without him than with him, and the NFL players union needs a new leader too because that have been remarkable in their silence on all this nonsense.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
In my opinion, there are three main issues with Goodell at this point. His lack of consistency, his lack of transparency, and his lack of trustworthiness. For someone who is supposed to be "the public steward of the NFL" those three things are inexcusable.