The Running Game

TypeSly

Reaction score
We have a star-calibre feature back who is hardly on the field. I wonder... would it have anything to do with the fact that Seattle seems to have deleted the FB position? It's also hard to judge our other tailbacks by the numbers, when other backs in the league get to run behind 245 lb trucks, AND have a decent O-line.

Polk738

Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch the game but from what I could see it looked like DJ Dallas was doing pretty well, why he was abandoned in those short yardage situations was confusing as hell to me, anybody have any insight?

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
He started out really well, until he got hit by a late H2H non-call on one of his runs. He had to leave for a concussion protocol, and wasn't the same after.

Still we got all the small-framed youngin' tailbacks running with no FB. So with this scheme, all of our backs are going to take extra punishment, for less yards this season. This fact makes one appreciate HOW good Chris Carson really is.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Uhhhh what? It's not 1995 anymore. The Bills rushed for 34 yards, with 32 minutes of TOP, and put up 44 points. The running game was worthless once the score was 24-7. If the Seahawks could run the ball they would have only lost 34-20 so I guess that would be been cool.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
sdog1981":3vt5xucr said:
Uhhhh what? It's not 1995 anymore. The Bills rushed for 34 yards, with 32 minutes of TOP, and put up 44 points. The running game was worthless once the score was 24-7. If the Seahawks could run the ball they would have only lost 34-20 so I guess that would be been cool.

I didn't mean today. I mean this whole season. What happened to our Fullbacks??

sdog1981

Reaction score
TypeSly":d2jei5te said:
sdog1981":d2jei5te said:

The game changed. I could ask what happened to split ends? The game changed and they are called receivers now.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
sdog1981":1iine33w said:
TypeSly":1iine33w said:
sdog1981":1iine33w said:

The game changed. I could ask what happened to split ends? The game changed and they are called receivers now.

I know, the "named" position is dying out, but some teams have them on, at least on the roster. Other teams that don't, substitute a TE in for important running plays or disguises. And if we're not going to do that, we shouldn't expect our tiny scatbacks to pick up any meaningful amounts of yards.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
If the FB position is going the way of the dinosaur, then to hell with all these lilttle scatbacks. We need horses back there!

John63

Reaction score
You dont need an FB to run, but you do need a power back or serious horses up front. Today we had neither.

vonstout

Reaction score
The game changed when Homer got stuffed and Russ there the INT on 4th down. If we had Carson, Hyde , or Penny, I think we would have run it and likely converted on third down and would have run again on 4th down. The 4th down call wasn’t good. If I remember correctly, Russ rolled out on the short side of the field and there was nothing he could have done.

jkp28

Reaction score
John Clayton referenced considering getting Marshawn on the PS to add depth, esp if Carson is going to be out. Why not call him and see if he’d be open to suiting up again (if he’s in shape). He’d potentially be helpful for these goal line and 3rd down runs.
We’ve got a lot to figure out this week, beyond the RB situation, but this seems like it could help (unless good chance Chris or Hyde will be back this week). Pushing players back too early doesn’t help. Game next Sunday and then a quick turn around for Thursday, both divisional games. These are make or break games for this season...

Latest posts