The Seahawks elite offense between 2012-2015

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I remember what it's like to be a seahawks fan. We had many seasons of mediocrity. Many seasons that we didn't make the playoffs. Many seasons that we as fans would claim we were better than or record because "if only we had made this play". Many teams can say they are only a few plays that they didn't make from being better.

But... That's not how it works. We are a 500 team because that's the way we've played and our offense is a big reason why.

chris98251

Reaction score
Could not be that the dummied it down for the lineman and allowed Russell to audible and improved the pace by doing so, nah couldn't be that, I heard Bevell walked across Lake Washington the day before the game and is thinking about stopping a speeding bullet with his forehead this week.

Anthony!

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":oh4vzbtx said:
MontanaHawk05":oh4vzbtx said:
ApnaHawk":oh4vzbtx said:
MontanaHawk, Our record is more of an indication of the brutal schedule we have played. We've been playing play-off type of games for majority of the season and this year the ball has just bounced the other teams way. Don't forget that even though we have beat teams such as the Panthers, Arizona, and Green Bay in years past, it was mostly due to the ball bouncing our way in a play our two.

That's part of it. But in each of those games, we've had so much dead space. So many three-and-outs, so many missed opportunities on offense, and any one of those drives could have changed the game. It's agonizing. It's also a pattern at this point. We suck for a half, wake up in the third quarter hastily, rush to score points, but we've just languished too long. It's a battle of attrition by the end, and we lose.

I suppose that's the result we have had to deal with due to the o-line being one of the cheapest if not cheapest unit on our team. Years past we always had Unger who was excellent at line-calls and just a natural center. I think they let him go cause they believed Russel could get our protection right pre-snap but that has not always been the case this year. It's getting a lot better however and we finnaly saw Russel step back, plant his foot and throw a beautiful ball to Lockett.

Which brings me to another point and I apologize if this derails the thread. Let me first say I love Wilson. He's the best qb this franchise has had imho. However, I believe he will continue to struggle as a traditional passer for a bit longer. It took Drew Brees many years before he could drop back and just sling the ball all over the place like he does now with NO. I think this is where the height really hinders Russell ability still. I also think Pete and company have stunted his growth due the constant pressure of protecting the ball. Russell does leave plays on the field. Luckily these are just temporary things and I know he will fix them.

I agree with the protect the ball at all cost thing has slowed things for Wilson. I do not believe he will struggle as a traditional passer as long as he gets the protection, play calls and play design required for a traditional passer. Similar to what we saw against SF. Now can or Will Bevell do it or allow it to happen again.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Anthony!":ahm5qf3x said:
I agree with the protect the ball at all cost thing has slowed things for Wilson. I do not believe he will struggle as a traditional passer as long as he gets the protection, play calls and play design required for a traditional passer. Similar to what we saw against SF. Now can or Will Bevell do it or allow it to happen again.

I think Pete is still in a state of shock at how many times the 'Hawks have won the turnover battle but lost the game. He's mentioned this a couple times in his pressers; it's like an alternate universe to him. In particular,TWO defensive TD's off turnovers vs. Arizona and we still lose. (I count the TD that the offense took the final 5 yards as being essentially a defensive TD)

Hawkblogger had an interesting article on turnover differential as a predictor of wins.
http://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/10/turn ... ed-up.html
Turns out it's less of a predictor of a win than having a higher 3rd down conversion percentage.

It's been painful to watch all the 3rd and 3, 3rd and 4 we've failed on this year, and failed badly. To me, our ineptness on that range of down and distance is #1 reason why we are losing games. IMO, most of that is on the OC.

Seahawks are 0-4 in games in which they won the turnover battle, but 4-1 in the games they lost the turnover battle.

Turnover battle by game: Team, Turnovers Seattle-Opponent, (Score):
@Rams, W 3-1 (L 34-31) **
@GB, L 1-2 (L 27-17)
Chicago, D 0-0 (W 26-0)
Detroit, L 1-3 (W 13-10) **
@Cincinnati W 2-1 (L 24-27) **
Panthers W 2-0 (L 23-27) **
@SF L 2-0 (W 20-3) **
@Cowboys L 0-1 (W 13-12) **
Cardinals W 3-1 (L 39-32) **
SF D 0-0 (W 29-13)

**For Seattle this year, seven out of ten games, 70% of the time, the team that lost the turnover battle has won the game. In fact, throw out the two turnover "Draw" games, and the team that lost the turnover battle has won 7 out of 8 games. I believe this "alternate universe" is causing Pete to revisit and re-evaluate.

Failed 3rd down conversions, or at least a high number of them, amount to turnovers. If it's "all about the ball", as Pete says, I think he'll start focusing more on 3rd down conversions, Seattle making them, and denying them to opponents. Seattle is consistently failing on 3rd and medium (3-5 yards) and it's killing us, just as much as if the offense was giving away turnovers.

In the games we've lost, 3rd down conversion differential has been the key. Our opponents conversions led to successful drives and scores, and our ongoing failures led to giving the ball back without scoring, without flipping field position, and without even running clock to protect a multi-score lead.

I don't offhand know of a stat/metric that speaks to this, but it seems that repeated 3 and outs amount to turnovers. Perhaps every two 3-and-outs* "equal" a turnover. It also seems like drives of 4 plays or less and under 15 net yards are equivalent to a 3-and-out. So a 12-yard completion for a first down on play 1, followed by 3 plays, a holding penalty, and an incomplete pass on 3rd down is pretty similar to a 3-and-out. Maybe I'd call it "Failed Drives" (tm). OK, so I'm probably not the first to think of this.

It would be interesting to review the Bengals, Panthers, and Cardinals games in particular, and apply this type of metric.
The ballyhooed "Toxic Differential" stat mostly works, but adding "Failed Drives" to the calculation in some way might tell more of the story for the Seahawks this season.

Improving the "Failed Drives" stat on the offensive side is where there's the most upside potential. So that's where I'd expect Pete & co to focus.

Anthony!

Reaction score
olyfan63":114w95so said:
Anthony!":114w95so said:

I think Pete is still in a state of shock at how many times the 'Hawks have won the turnover battle but lost the game. He's mentioned this a couple times in his pressers; it's like an alternate universe to him. In particular,TWO defensive TD's off turnovers vs. Arizona and we still lose. (I count the TD that the offense took the final 5 yards as being essentially a defensive TD)

Hawkblogger had an interesting article on turnover differential as a predictor of wins.
http://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/10/turn ... ed-up.html
Turns out it's less of a predictor of a win than having a higher 3rd down conversion percentage.

It's been painful to watch all the 3rd and 3, 3rd and 4 we've failed on this year, and failed badly. To me, our ineptness on that range of down and distance is #1 reason why we are losing games. IMO, most of that is on the OC.

Seahawks are 0-4 in games in which they won the turnover battle, but 4-1 in the games they lost the turnover battle.

Turnover battle by game: Team, Turnovers Seattle-Opponent, (Score):
@Rams, W 3-1 (L 34-31) **
@GB, L 1-2 (L 27-17)
Chicago, D 0-0 (W 26-0)
Detroit, L 1-3 (W 13-10) **
@Cincinnati W 2-1 (L 24-27) **
Panthers W 2-0 (L 23-27) **
@SF L 2-0 (W 20-3) **
@Cowboys L 0-1 (W 13-12) **
Cardinals W 3-1 (L 39-32) **
SF D 0-0 (W 29-13)

**For Seattle this year, seven out of ten games, 70% of the time, the team that lost the turnover battle has won the game. In fact, throw out the two turnover "Draw" games, and the team that lost the turnover battle has won 7 out of 8 games. I believe this "alternate universe" is causing Pete to revisit and re-evaluate.

Failed 3rd down conversions, or at least a high number of them, amount to turnovers. If it's "all about the ball", as Pete says, I think he'll start focusing more on 3rd down conversions, Seattle making them, and denying them to opponents. Seattle is consistently failing on 3rd and medium (3-5 yards) and it's killing us, just as much as if the offense was giving away turnovers.

In the games we've lost, 3rd down conversion differential has been the key. Our opponents conversions led to successful drives and scores, and our ongoing failures led to giving the ball back without scoring, without flipping field position, and without even running clock to protect a multi-score lead.

I don't offhand know of a stat/metric that speaks to this, but it seems that repeated 3 and outs amount to turnovers. Perhaps every two 3-and-outs* "equal" a turnover. It also seems like drives of 4 plays or less and under 15 net yards are equivalent to a 3-and-out. So a 12-yard completion for a first down on play 1, followed by 3 plays, a holding penalty, and an incomplete pass on 3rd down is pretty similar to a 3-and-out. Maybe I'd call it "Failed Drives" (tm). OK, so I'm probably not the first to think of this.

It would be interesting to review the Bengals, Panthers, and Cardinals games in particular, and apply this type of metric.
The ballyhooed "Toxic Differential" stat mostly works, but adding "Failed Drives" to the calculation in some way might tell more of the story for the Seahawks this season.

Improving the "Failed Drives" stat on the offensive side is where there's the most upside potential. So that's where I'd expect Pete & co to focus.

Interesting thoughts. The only problem I see is given the pathetic pass blocking up until this last game we may never know for sure what the issue has been with 3rd and 3-5 yards. Then of course with regards to 3 and outs there is a matter of penalties. Would also be interesting to see what the effect of our defense giving up a 3rd and long to extend an opponents drive. As I said to me this is an issue for both the offense and defense. The O needs less 3 and outs and the defense needs to get off the field on 3rd and long. If either happens just one time in any game we lost this year we win. So I think this toxic differential needs to include the defense not getting off the field when in a 3rd and long situation.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
With a better offensive coordinator, who actually embodies the spirit of Carroll's offense philosophy (i.e. Tom Cable, Tim Drevno, Todd Haley, Doug Pederson, Mike Shula, etc.), I believe the Seahawks would be in the Top 5 in the league in time of possession and red zone scoring every year.

purpleneer

Reaction score
hawknation2015":16850z60 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":16850z60 said:
Per Jacson Bevens referring to Football Outsiders' DVOA, the Seahawks currently have the #9 ranked offense in the NFL.

Here's the final season ranking for Seattle's offense since 2012:

2012: 4th
2013 7th
2014: 9th

Here's the best combined offensive DVOA since 2012...

1. Patriots 81.5
2. Packers 65.9
3. Broncos 59.6
4. SEAHAWKS 54.2
5. Saints 48.2

So yeah.

People still want to give 70-year-old Norm Chow a call?

This is a reflection one of the weaknesses of DVOA, IMO.

There is no way in hell that a team ranked 16th in scoring and 31st in the red zone should be in the TOP 10 for offense. Is there some terrific offensive talent on this team? Absolutely, but the play calling has been radically inconsistent in utilizing the strengths of this offensive talent in key situations.
Yup, and it's admitted to be a weakness by it's creators. DVOA is all about per-play efficiency, but pretty much anyone who has a clue knows that earning yourself more plays kinda matters. It gives a team more credit for driving based on a big play or two relative to earning it by just stringing together first downs, when it should be the other way around more often than not.
We should be looking a bit more at the rate of "successful plays": 40% of needed yards on first down, (too lazy to research what folks say %) on second, and 100% on third or fourth down. It sure feels like we are lacking in that regard.