The Seahawks Have More Cap Space Than You Think in 2020

Tical21

Reaction score
AirStrike":2ehqgprf said:
Tical21":2ehqgprf said:
How many players do we currently have signed through 2020?

If we sign any three of Wilson, Wagner, Frank and Reed, we will be spending more on 3 players than ANY OTHER team spends on their highest 4. There's no way that even with signing 3 of them, that we are going to be cap-rich.

We have 27 guys signed through 2020, second lowest in the league. As of right now we have about 90 million in cap space, assuming you resign Russ at his current rate, that drops to 65 million for 25 players.
Thanks! So Frank, Bobby, and Reed dont count in that either? That leaves like 15 million for 22 players (plus money for injury replacements). I'm sure I'm wrong as always, but that doesn't sound like a lot of cap space.

Jville

Reaction score
That headcount of 27 for 2020 dropped to 26 today with the release of LB Emmanuel Beal. That ties the Raiders for the fewest current contracts for 2020. With the inevitable release of Kam Chancellor prior to 2020, the effective number can be viewed as 25.

The Seahawks are potentially set up to emerge as one of the hungriest teams in the NFL with lots of players on prove it contracts. I like it! :2thumbs:

P.S.The cap cost of the 2019 Seahawks rookie class should be among the more affordable.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread Fade. :2thumbs:
Maybe it will slow down the trade everyone of value for draftpicks mindset a bit.

Tical21

Reaction score
Can we rename the thread "The Seahawks Have Less cap space than you think...."

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wow, totally disagree, with the no cap post.

Reality is that that the team has 32 players on 1 year contracts for 2019 and that is of the 67 signed at present. That will of course present difficulty, but will be able to worked around.

The FO is doing a good job retooling the roster. Keep the faith. At present there are a few BIG contracts that need to be done but they are cap possible and notwithstanding the "cap trolling" worries the true core of the team can be kept.

Next season the team could possibly have 11 draft picks with 4 in the first 3 rounds. If you are paying attention there is a significant transition occurring and that will result in a few tight situations but the money part as the OP has opined is available for the players the team wants to keep.

Wilson, Wagner, and Reed will be kept, Clark will depend on the numbers, but he's doable without a doubt.

Lots of drama here but really would the team let Wilson go??? Wagner?? Reed? They keep Clark for the season, and the question is can they reach a deal that makes sense?

The point of the thread is that the team has the cap available in 2020 to keep all these guys.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
If people want to see both who is signed and how much room the Hawks have in 2020, go to this link and click on the "2020" tab on the top left.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

The shorthand here is that 13 months from now these 26 players will account for about 50% of possible cap space, with the other 50% of possible cap space available to be taken up by (a) Current Seahawks who are not on this list of 26, (b) draft picks, and (c) free agents.

The other way to think about this is that if the Hawks re-sign Wilson at 30, Clark at 20, Wagner at 18, and Reed at 14, that would leave them 18 million dollars left on the cap to fill out 21 total roster spots.

You can adjust big or small, up, down, or around from there.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't see why there is a panic, you can't have a full roster of All Pros and pay them, we will trade, release, restructure, and make it work.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score

UPDATE: AS OF MAY the 9TH

The Seahawks as of today now have 41 players under contract for 2020 (which doesn't account for cheap ERFAs) with $82M + $20M in rollover = 102M in Cap Space for 2020. That is with Russell Wilson being the highest paid player in NFL history.

Ziggy has yet to show up on OTC, but he will count $13M against the cap knocking it down from $33M to $20M in rollover.
He probably won't earn all of his incentives, but they have to account for it. So they could save some additional space.

Mingo could still be cut, or take a massive pay cut (which I would advise they do).

Ed Dickson could get cut for age/salary reasons as well.

KJ has to be dynamite this year or he will be cut next year. BBK and/or Cody Barton will take his job otherwise.

I feel like Justin Britt may be in the same boat as KJ.

I like Jaron Brown, and I don't think he will be cut, but it is a possibility.

The point is they can free up even more space if necessary.

Again like I said in the original OP, the cap numbers this year and next are going to get eaten into, With Wagner & Reed, a couple more vet signings, and typical IR, practice squad, Top 51 converting to 53, etc. But they will have so much leftover space for this year and next, it is bordering on crazy.

The Seahawks are drowning in cap space at this point. They blew up the roster, and it appears they have rebuilt it on the fly while still remaining contenders.

They have 11 Draft Picks for 2020. I would like to see John Schneider trade down a few times and draft 16 players next year just for the lolz.

Pretty impressive stuff. What he and Carroll have pulled off this off-season.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Way too early look at UFA targets in 2020:

1. Grady Jarrett. Currently on franchise tag. Unlikely to be tagged a second year
2. Leonard Williams.
3. Jack Conklin. 5th year option was surprisingly denied by Tennessee.
4. Chris Jones.
5. Reggie Ragland (was a VMAC visit in draft year).
6. Javon Hargrave

Not a ton of top shelf (and young) talent next year. Most of these will be resigned. Didn't even bother to list Michael Thomas. Saints will be hard strapped for cash but still he wouldn't end up here.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Fade":22x22n89 said:
They have 11 Draft Picks for 2020. I would like to see John Schneider trade down a few times and draft 16 players next year just for the lolz.
I have us at 10 picks for next year.

Explanation... we have our original top 5, having trading away our 6th to J'ville to draft John Ursua this year and our 7th to NE for TE Jacob Hollister, albeit a conditional pick, terms not specified. Add in the 2nd we get from KC for the Frank Clark trade and also add in our expected four compensatory picks in the 3rd, the 4th, the 6th and 7th rounds... makes a total of 10 picks next year... for the time being.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1kitietk said:
Explanation... we have our original top 5, having trading away our 6th to J'ville to draft John Ursua this year and our 7th to NE for TE Jacob Hollister, albeit a conditional pick, terms not specified. Add in the 2nd we get from KC for the Frank Clark trade and also add in our expected four compensatory picks in the 3rd, the 4th, the 6th and 7th rounds... makes a total of 10 picks next year... for the time being.

Yeah, I forgot about the TE trade. So it is 10.

41 players as of 2020 doesn't even account for 1st rd Pick L.J. Collier yet as well.

But I think I've done a good enough job ramming home the point that Seattle has managed their salary cap extremely well.

And the trolls concerned about Seattle's cap space have disappeared. :D

Jville

Reaction score
Fade":1b8y5lqg said:
onanygivensunday":1b8y5lqg said:

41 players as of 2020 doesn't even account for 1st rd Pick L.J. Collier yet as well.

But I think I've done a good enough job ramming home the point that Seattle has managed their salary cap extremely well.

And the xxxxxx concerned about Seattle's cap space have disappeared. :D

I'd give your effort and contribution on this subject five out of five stars. :2thumbs: Carry on!

Ruminator

Reaction score
While we all know this would be highly uncharacteristic of Seahawks' FO, the greater cap flexibility makes me wonder if there's a chance they might trade up in the first or second round to land a certain coveted player in the 2020 draft. Especially considering the team's playoffs/SB window of opportunity. "When pigs fly," I know, especially knowing there's no guarantee a certain player will succeed in the NFL. I'd of course be surprised if they did, but still fun to consider the possibilities.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Ruminator":2e6oo9p8 said:
While we all know this would be highly uncharacteristic of Seahawks' FO, the greater cap flexibility makes me wonder if there's a chance they might trade up in the first or second round to land a certain coveted player in the 2020 draft. Especially considering the team's playoffs/SB window of opportunity. "When pigs fly," I know, especially knowing there's no guarantee a certain player will succeed in the NFL. I'd of course be surprised if they did, but still fun to consider the possibilities.

Trading up has happened (see Tyler Lockett), but in rounds 1-2, it's rare for JS to do so since the draft capital means leaving many players off his board.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The core argument here is great. The FO has handled this off-season very well and we do have plenty of flexibility going forwards despite Russ's contract.

That being said, I've never liked this idea of comparing cap space across teams and cap space itself isn't always good. Praising a team for having cap space is a lot like praising a sports car for being light before you've noticed that it's still missing several dozen parts. The reason why our cap space looks so low is that we have 18-20 players who should be playing key roles on Sundays but are slated to be UFA's after this season. We would be much better off if we had less cap room in 2020 but some of those players were extended at reasonable rates.

The solution is to continue throwing young players at the roster and for enough of them to work out to keep things rolling. We'd love to have Ifedi, Iupati and Fant play their way to bigger contracts elsewhere next year provided younger linemen like Simmons, Haynes and Jones are ready to take their spots. Perhaps we won't need Ansah, Marsh or Jefferson due to the growth from Rasheem Green, Jake Martin and LJ Collier. Travis Homer looks like a good candidate to replace McKissic and/or Prosise. If we could have a few of the young receivers make a 2019 impact that would smooth the transition next off-season there as well.

The rest of our team around the QB is going to keep getting very young over the next couple of seasons, with our 11 picks next year and almost certainly another four additional comp picks in 2021.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Fade":13y27r8b said:
onanygivensunday":13y27r8b said:

I suppose i'm among those because I didn't want Clark to get his and RW to get over
$30 million a year :177692:
Don't conviently forget Bwags is getting paid and since he is the best MLB in game
I can live with that.
The fact you label anyone who doesn't see your spin on cap matters a "troll" is lame.
I will state my opinion on anything to agree or disagree so piss off.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1gxninss said:
Fade":1gxninss said:
onanygivensunday":1gxninss said:

I suppose i'm among those because I didn't want Clark to get his and RW to get over
Don't conviently forget Bwags is getting paid and since he is the best MLB in game
I can live with that.
The fact you label anyone who doesn't see your spin on cap matters a "troll" is lame.

The only ones concerned about Seattle's cap space, were the trolls, or the ill informed who do not study how the salary cap actually works. Which ever category you want to place yourself in is fine by me, all I know is the mind numbingly dumb posts about Seattle's cap space have stopped.

Seattle's cap situation was fine even with Clark. KC just made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Seattle is currently on track to have the most cap space in 2020. They have too much space at this point. We'll just have to wait and see on Wagner & Reed, but cap hits in year 1 are usually are pretty low.

The Seawhawks have more cap space than you think in 2020.

knownone

Reaction score
Fade":1a871w72 said:
IndyHawk":1a871w72 said:
Fade":1a871w72 said:
onanygivensunday":1a871w72 said:

I can live with that.

The only ones concerned about Seattle's cap space, were the trolls, or the ill informed who do not study how the salary cap actually works. Which ever category you want to place yourself in is fine by me, all I know is the mind numbingly dumb posts about Seattle's cap space have stopped.

Seattle's cap situation was fine even with Clark. KC just made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Seattle is currently on track to have the most cap space in 2020. They have too much space at this point. We'll just have to wait and see on Wagner & Reed, but cap hits in year 1 are usually are pretty low.

The Seawhawks have more cap space than you think in 2020.
This is an exceptionally silly take. Not everyone concerned with cap space is a troll, and just because they disagreed with your perception of our cap situation doesn't mean that you know more about the cap than they do.

Guess what? People stopped talking about the cap because we traded Frank. That's the only reason. If you added Frank's contract to this team, we'd still be having that conversation.

Jville

Reaction score
knownone":2hl4yovy said:
Guess what? People stopped talking about the cap because we traded Frank. That's the only reason. If you added Frank's contract to this team, we'd still be having that conversation.

Why not do the math?

Because even if the Seahawks signed Frank to those high Kansas City contract numbers, the resulting 2020 effective cap space would still have been upwards of around $55 million last time I checked. With or without Frank Clark, there was and still is plenty of cap space ...... more cap space than many thought.

knownone

Reaction score
Jville":1hb6z6fl said:
knownone":1hb6z6fl said:

Why not do the math?

Because even if the Seahawks signed Frank to those high Kansas City contract numbers, the resulting 2020 effective cap space would still have been upwards of around $55 million last time I checked. With or without Frank Clark, there was and still is plenty of cap space ...... more cap space than many thought.
Looking at cap space and doing basic arithmetic is not doing math. Math in this situation would ask; what is your talent level relative to your cap space? That is the question some people seem to be missing. No one argued that Seattle couldn't create cap space. They argued whether Seattle could maintain a deep roster while giving a large percentage of their cap space to a handful of players. Make sense?