The Trade (Unger & Anthony for Jimmy & Lockett)

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The trade wasn't exactly Unger and a 1st for Jimmy... it was Unger and a 1st for Jimmy and a 4th, which Seattle used to move up in the 3rd round from #95 overall to #69 overall to draft WR/KR/PR Tyler Lockett.

So when we're comparing how Unger, Stephone Anthony and Jimmy do for their respective new teams, let's not forget that we should also be looking at Lockett to a degree as well.

Alexander

Reaction score
Dougula":31ibt8z0 said:
Alexander":31ibt8z0 said:
ctrcat":31ibt8z0 said:
The most puzzling thing to me however was not that JS viewed a late first as equal value to a 2nd rounder (understandable), but that he will have never have taken advantage of the new-CBA 5th year option for first rounders that can be such an advantageous tool in future years.

There is some speculation that GM John Schneider dislikes the 5th-year option because it makes it more difficult to structure contract extensions the way he likes. If you look at the the way the Seahawks have done extensions the last couple of offseasons, it's clear the priority is future cap flexibility rather than minimizing APY or maximizing the number of years of club control. It's possible the 5th-year option just doesn't appeal to them for non-QBs.

That all makes sense to me.

However there is another angle I think we might be missing here, exactly who have our first rounders been since the new CBA came along? Irvin, & Carpenter.....

True, but part of the reason we've only made 2 first-round selections under the new CBA is because JS keeps trading them away. Of course, the talent in the late 1st isn't much different than in the early 2nd, but if JS really valued the 5th-year option (arguably the only real difference between a late 1st and an early 2nd), I think you'd expect him to value first-rounders more than he does.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's not the round it's the player, the round dictates the contract size and options etc, higher the pic the less options and more money we spend. JS has been doing a great job managing the picks and getting value and need without selling the farm for high priced players that are not necessarily better then what we have picked by falling back in the draft and getting better picks or trading for established players.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm so glad that John "Trading out of the 1st Round" Schneider is our GM.

I love the strategy.

RynoHawk

Reaction score
just to clarify the "TRADE" - it was a First round pick for Jimmy, while we traded Unger for a 4th - sorry, it was not Unger and our 1st for # 88...

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3tk4ytzh said:
The trade wasn't exactly Unger and a 1st for Jimmy... it was Unger and a 1st for Jimmy and a 4th, which Seattle used to move up in the 3rd round from #95 overall to #69 overall to draft WR/KR/PR Tyler Lockett.

So when we're comparing how Unger, Stephone Anthony and Jimmy do for their respective new teams, let's not forget that we should also be looking at Lockett to a degree as well.

You're right, I did forget to consider whom you used the 4th rounder on, Lockett looked very explosive on your ST's in the Broncos game. Unlike Harvin, hopefully Lockett remains in all of your games.

Seafan

Reaction score
If the trade didn't happen I would not be surprised if the Hawks used the 31st pick on Clark and then used the 2nd round pick on Lockett. As it is to get those guys and Jimmy is really cool.

OP
OP
E

El Caliente

Reaction score
I have updated the title to reflect that the trade was Unger and Stephone Anthony for Graham and Lockett.

The interesting thing is, even though Unger is just a center, his impact will be just as noticable as the other 3 players due to the fact that our (Saints) oline was so bad up the middle.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":r613i94b said:
onanygivensunday":r613i94b said:

You're right, I did forget to consider whom you used the 4th rounder on, Lockett looked very explosive on your ST's in the Broncos game. Unlike Harvin, hopefully Lockett remains in all of your games.

They used multiple pics to trade up for Lockett .... So u are somewhat incorrect

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
El Caliente":hd3rvpeo said:
I think Jimmy in your system will be great, and for that I will draft him at his usual (fantasy football) spot. He will be Seattle's #1 receiving option (like he was for Brees), and I think he will only give RW more credibility.

I also like what Unger looks to bring to our run game. If Thursday is any indication, the Saints oline will be night and day different from last season. Who knows, we might even meet each other again in the playoffs thanks to Unger's impact.

No doubt Graham is now our most amazing receiving option, by a LOT. If he and Wilson were paired up on a no-pass-rush flag football team, they're the most fearsome duo out there. But with our combination of long-developing routes, biding time until the big gain is available, and underwhelming pass protection, I'm wary of big fantasy expectations.

Graham's catches and yards will take a big hit, IMO. He might make up for it in the red zone though. I could see something around 60 catches, 700 yards, 10-15 TDs.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":g85ejhlq said:
El Caliente":g85ejhlq said:
I think Jimmy in your system will be great, and for that I will draft him at his usual (fantasy football) spot. He will be Seattle's #1 receiving option (like he was for Brees), and I think he will only give RW more credibility.

I also like what Unger looks to bring to our run game. If Thursday is any indication, the Saints oline will be night and day different from last season. Who knows, we might even meet each other again in the playoffs thanks to Unger's impact.

No doubt Graham is now our most amazing receiving option, by a LOT. If he and Wilson were paired up on a no-pass-rush flag football team, they're the most fearsome duo out there. But with our combination of long-developing routes, biding time until the big gain is available, and underwhelming pass protection, I'm wary of big fantasy expectations.

Graham's catches and yards will take a big hit, IMO. He might make up for it in the red zone though. I could see something around 60 catches, 700 yards, 10-15 TDs.
Traditionally, Pete Carroll's Seahawks teams have sucked for Fantasy stats among receivers and even Wilson. Wilson's running ability raises his fantasy stock some, but really, our only reliable fantasy player in the skills group is Marshawn. Our D will probably go high in fantasy drafts, but WR and TE I think would drop a couple of rounds just because of our style of play.

mikeak

Reaction score
OP - were there any shotgun snaps and if so how did Unger do? Just wondering if it was a player thing or coaching thing...