The unsung hero of Superbowl 50 is . . .

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
McGruff":3f1o0nip said:
The Superbowl 48 champion Seattle Seahawks.

After going in with the best offense of all time, the Broncos got schooled by a dominating Seattle team featuring a lethal pass rush and lock down secondary. That offseason and the next they completely retooled their roster and philosophy and the result was what you saw today.

They played Seattle Seahawks formula football. They learned it from the best. Now the question is can Seattle retool and respond.
COMPLETELY agree and started a thread about 2 weeks ago on the NFL Forum about begrudgingly respecting Elway for it:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=123234

sc85sis

Reaction score
idahohawk":3uermzqf said:
Surely you aren't comparing the SEA D of 2014 and 2015 with the DEN D. Not even close.

sc85sis":3uermzqf said:
What got me was CBS repeatedly talking about how Cam had never played against a D like that. Really? Um...
Seattle has played the Panthers numerous times in the last several years, including during the Super Bowl winning season. To say Cam had never faced a defense like Denver before is spurious.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
So if the Seahawks win it all a year or two from now with better offensive line and pass rush does that mean that the Broncos are going to be the "unsung hero" ?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
CPHawk":11iqrj5j said:
McGruff":11iqrj5j said:
The Superbowl 48 champion Seattle Seahawks.

After going in with the best offense of all time, the Broncos got schooled by a dominating Seattle team featuring a lethal pass rush and lock down secondary. That offseason and the next they completely retooled their roster and philosophy and the result was what you saw today.

They played Seattle Seahawks formula football. They learned it from the best. Now the question is can Seattle retool and respond.

Our Secondary has also taken a step back since SB 48.
A lot of our units have taken a step back since SB 48, as well as lower-quality depth.

We have been losing more talent than we've gained, meanwhile the Broncos and Panthers have gained more talent than they've lost.

When you're at the top there's nowhere to go but down, and down we've gone.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, and Chris Harris were on the team we beat in SB48. They were injured. But I don't think those three have a 37 point difference and we still win that game going away. It was our year and were not going to be stopped. So to say we had an impact on this super bowl team other than to not let opportunity slip away is reaching.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Wizofwest":272h57mm said:
Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, and Chris Harris were on the team we beat in SB48. They were injured. But I don't think those three have a 37 point difference and we still win that game going away. It was our year and were not going to be stopped. So to say we had an impact on this super bowl team other than to not let opportunity slip away is reaching.

I don't think its reaching at all. The Broncos brass was very transparent after that loss that they needed to re-think their model. They needed to get more talented and aggressive on defense. They looked at us as the model.

A lot of teams did and still do. Shoot, Carolina has as well. The difference is the Broncos implemented it better.

We've got to find a way to get back to the kind of relentless aggression we had in 2013/14. I think it begins up front.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
McGruff":b77sjgyp said:
Wizofwest":b77sjgyp said:

I don't think its reaching at all. The Broncos brass was very transparent after that loss that they needed to re-think their model. They needed to get more talented and aggressive on defense. They looked at us as the model.

A lot of teams did and still do. Shoot, Carolina has as well. The difference is the Broncos implemented it better.

We've got to find a way to get back to the kind of relentless aggression we had in 2013/14. I think it begins up front.
I agree.

Elway immediately signed key defensive players after that loss. Ware and Talib were huge gets. He Improved the pass rush and secondary. That loss changed the focus from having the best offense to having the best defense. The Seahawks dominate win helped the Broncos obtain a better defense and retool their plan. In fact there is an article on seahawks.com. here is a good quote

"John Elway cleaned house and said, ‘You know, what? We have to mimic that model. We have to have some corners who can play man coverage. We have to have some guys who are physical in the back end. We’ve got to create some pass-rushing ability to take advantage of the crowd noise we have in Denver.’”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/02/05 ... owl-xlviii

Can't wait to see the Hawks retool the defense this offseason to improve the pass rush.

idahohawk

Reaction score
I worded it poorly. My own doing. Wasn't trying to be a troll. I should have been more specific to the pass rush aspect. I meant not to sound like a spoiled Hawks fan. I guess seeing Denver take down Ben, Brady, & Cam had me longing for the 2013 DL. (esp the depth)

Optimus25":16a9foup said:
idahohawk":16a9foup said:
Surely you aren't comparing the SEA D of 2014 and 2015 with the DEN D. Not even close.

sc85sis":16a9foup said:
What got me was CBS repeatedly talking about how Cam had never played against a D like that. Really? Um...

Cause i wouldn't believe you were speaking in the negative of the 2014 Seattle defense that held the kelvin Benjamin Panthers to three field goals, cam to 171 yds, and 0 tds with 1 INT.

I know you have no evidence for that statement in the negatory, but i just need clarification so i don't dismiss you as a legitimate sports fan.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
sc85sis":2etn6hz8 said:
idahohawk":2etn6hz8 said:

sc85sis":2etn6hz8 said:
Seattle has played the Panthers numerous times in the last several years, including during the Super Bowl winning season. To say Cam had never faced a defense like Denver before is spurious.

I always took that comment to be in reference to this year alone. And it would be true in that case. Denver was the best Defense that Cam saw this season.

Just like the Seahawks were the best Defense that Peyton Manning saw in 2013.

To say those were the best Defenses those players faced EVER is pretty tough to say and seems fueled by emotion the day after a huge game. I wouldn't read too much into it.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkMeat":24894n3z said:
McGruff":24894n3z said:
Wizofwest":24894n3z said:

I agree.

Elway immediately signed key defensive players after that loss. Ware and Talib were huge gets. He Improved the pass rush and secondary. That loss changed the focus from having the best offense to having the best defense. The Seahawks dominate win helped the Broncos obtain a better defense and retool their plan. In fact there is an article on seahawks.com. here is a good quote

"John Elway cleaned house and said, ‘You know, what? We have to mimic that model. We have to have some corners who can play man coverage. We have to have some guys who are physical in the back end. We’ve got to create some pass-rushing ability to take advantage of the crowd noise we have in Denver.’”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/02/05 ... owl-xlviii

Can't wait to see the Hawks retool the defense this offseason to improve the pass rush.

He was able to convince Manning to re do his contract to sign defenders as well, yeah we made an impression, not just in Denver but across the league, Carolina, Atlanta, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Jets, and more.

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkFan72":pq2yc7z4 said:
sc85sis":pq2yc7z4 said:
idahohawk":pq2yc7z4 said:

sc85sis":pq2yc7z4 said:

I always took that comment to be in reference to this year alone. And it would be true in that case. Denver was the best Defense that Cam saw this season.

To say those were the best Defenses those players faced EVER is pretty tough to say and seems fueled by emotion the day after a huge game. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Yeah, I thought it was solely within the realm of the year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
sc85sis":1rp2l07f said:
idahohawk":1rp2l07f said:

sc85sis":1rp2l07f said:

I think our boys need to conjure up some disrespect cards and go to work next year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
mrt144":1rrzlh1o said:
HawkFan72":1rrzlh1o said:
sc85sis":1rrzlh1o said:
idahohawk":1rrzlh1o said:

sc85sis said:

Yeah, I thought it was solely within the realm of the year.
And I would have no problem with it if they'd said "best D he's faced this season" becaus that's a very factual statement. Instead they said, "ever" and it just was so hyperbolic it bugged me.