The weekly fire Bevell thread

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The BEST play call of the game (3rd and 6 with the game on the line) . . .
PhonyGraveCavy.gif

Followed immediately by one of the WORST play calls of the game (no Marshawn, throwing on 1st down with Graham blocking in-line) . . .
WatchfulFarflungFulmar.gif

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
On that second video -- if the pass protection doesn't collapse and let two free runners get to Wilson -- Baldwin is wide open. If he gets two more second to step and throw -- it's a big chunk play. Look how open Baldwin is!

No issue with that call. Watch the pass pro and the whiffs.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
We moved the ball pretty well today and were a lot better than the 13 points we put up. That can be said of a few of our wins this year. There were a couple of head scratchers in there, but this is a three score win but for a terrible reversal on McFadden's fumble, a blocked FG and a flukey interception, imo.

I really think Richardson can make a difference on offense after the bye, I'm way more optimistic than most about that.

Mick063

Reaction score
I don't know how folks can still defend Bevell. I guess the Super Bowl is all forgotten.

This offense reeks. It sucks bad. The only thing worse is the national pundits that give the Cowboys defense credit for playing well. Seattle makes any defense look great. ANY defense. Alternatively, for the national pundits, it isn't that the Seattle defense played well, but that the Cowboy offense sucked. In other words, for the pundits, the Cowboy defense stopped a good offense and the Cowboy offense sucked against an average defense.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Maybe the oc can only do so much, and it ultimately comes down to execution of the play by the players? Just saying....

As of this moment, my biggest gripe with bevell is some of the situational/psychological plays he calls. Like he tries to get too cute, too early.

For instance, say we run a play on second down and bring it to third and short. Instead of calling a higher probability for conversion routes (quick slants and such), he tries to catch the defense sleeping with a longer route. Imo we need to establish the quick route conversions first before we get cute like that.

Bevell is not as bad as the casual makes him out to be. Hes a good, psychological chess player. He's had his gaffes lately, but again its psychological, so what can you expect when fans are gathering with their pitchforks every week to castrate him.

penihawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3qorxoco said:
Dilfer said every time Graham was in he knew we were going to pass. I know Dilfer's an idiot but if that's something teams are keying on, isn't it smart to have Jimmy block on a run play now and again? Even if he's not the most effective blocker?

I think Dilfer is right on the money with his breakdown of the Hawks as a playoff/Superbowl contender. We have a championship level D when healthy and a offense that is predictable. A new OC isnt gonna fix the OL or make Wilson a pocket passer but until this team has a major change in how we play offense, we are going nowhere. The facts don't lie folks.

capncrunch

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":37c05d0h said:
We moved the ball pretty well today and were a lot better than the 13 points we put up. That can be said of a few of our wins this year. There were a couple of head scratchers in there, but this is a three score win but for a terrible reversal on McFadden's fumble, a blocked FG and a flukey interception, imo.

I really think Richardson can make a difference on offense after the bye, I'm way more optimistic than most about that.

I think this is an excellent assessment. I will add that I think Dallas is better than people think and still have a lot of talent on their roster. I enjoyed watching the game very much. We're seeing the emergence of Jimmy Graham that everybody was crying about. Lockett's coming along as a receiver. TheO-line is improving. Bevell seems to be adjusting to the poor pass protection with quicker developing routes and a moving pocket. Some would be sacks turned in to nice little gains. We didn't have Russell running too much, but that seems to help elsewhere as they are forced to keep a spy on him. We are using Tukuafu more and keeping Russ under center more. Basically, I was looking for certain things from our offense, which I am now starting to see. I like the trend.

White Devil

Reaction score
It wasn't a horribly called game, but wasn't anything to slap the guy on the back for either.

They managed to score 13 points. Almost despite themselves at times.

I liked the first play in the 2nd half where they ran play action to the left and pulled Jimmy out to the right. 4, maybe even 5 Cowboys all saw the play coming and squashed it for a 1 yard gain.

CJsYWwm.gif

The problem is predictability.

Bevell gets a pass this week because the defense only gave up 12 points. :snack:

*Edited to add the Graham play gif, thanks LaLoosh. I was wrong Jimmy fought and got 3 yards, still very predictable.

mrt144

Reaction score
I wish that I believed in the infallible, inscrutable and unfalsifiable football genius that is Bevell. It must make the game a lot less stressful when you think an OC is perfect and is only ever let down by his players.

randomation

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":33kxy900 said:
seabowl":33kxy900 said:
Fire Pig Vomit Bevell

Would somebody please please fly a plane over the city to say Fire Bevell already. Here in NY the planes overhead and signs in the stadium would be in full force to say Fire Bevell with this O's performance.

Next game will somebody or many at least hold the Fire Bevell signs up. Strength in numbers my friends.
Has that ever worked????

What if Jimmy did it with his plane then it might get listened to :D

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
White Devil":6kyb8k2b said:
It wasn't a horribly called game, but wasn't anything to slap the guy on the back for either.

Some of it's Bevell, but again some of it's execution.

Russell missed Graham on an easy 3rd down conversion, he missed Baldwin on another easy conversion.........he also could have kept the ball and walked into the endzone on a read option, and instead handed it off to Lynch who got stuffed.

Yes the offense as whole has been frustrating to watch this year. But for the 1,000th time, that's on everyone involved.

I did like the line movement to get Russell away from the rush.

White Devil

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3m9cztb8 said:
White Devil":3m9cztb8 said:

Some of it's Bevell, but again some of it's execution.

Russell missed Graham on an easy 3rd down conversion, he missed Baldwin on another easy conversion.........he also could have kept the ball and walked into the endzone on a read option, and instead handed it off to Lynch who got stuffed.

Yes the offense as whole has been frustrating to watch this year. But for the 1,000th time, that's on everyone involved.

I did like the line movement to get Russell away from the rush.

I completely agree that it's not 100% Bevell's fault. The problem is that overall, as a whole, the OC is held accountable for what the offense does with the ball. If this were the Saints, I'd be blaming Payton. If it were the Packers, up until this season I'd hold McCarthy accountable.

This offense, under Bevell has regressed over the past 2 seasons, so I choose to hold the engineer of that offense accountable.

I loved the movement. I loved the play action. I loved the i-formation run game. It's the most we've seen of those plays over 8 games. I see improvement, but it seems like it's happening because it's being forced. This goes against everything Bevell seems to want to do. He's calling the plays more because he feels the heat. If it was up to him, he'd have this team empty backfield, spread 5 wide every single down. That's not what got this team to it's first Lombardi Trophy, or back to back SB appearances.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Adjustments were made at halftime that allowed us to move the chains and chew up the clock. I thought the gameplan was solid and it's a nice win to enjoy.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":197kt6x9 said:
On that second video -- if the pass protection doesn't collapse and let two free runners get to Wilson -- Baldwin is wide open. If he gets two more second to step and throw -- it's a big chunk play. Look how open Baldwin is!

No issue with that call. Watch the pass pro and the whiffs.

I'll post the All-22 when it comes out . . . Baldwin was flanked by two defenders.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawknation2015":aui6pn31 said:
The BEST play call of the game (3rd and 6 with the game on the line) . . .
PhonyGraveCavy.gif

There was a similar play late in the Bengals game where Kearse is the outside WR and goes up and over the inside. It's a different play call to be sure but it's mind boggling we don't see MORE of this kind of play. Same with the seam passes, they work and then the Hawks stop using them.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Interesting discussion with Irvin on dallas radio this morning.
Dallas runs a lot of routes very similar in concept to us. Receivers have to beat their man, and the qb has to recognize it as it happens. And anticipate.

The score was ugly, but yesterday was a huge step forward for this offense from a play calling perspective, simply because we ran so many two man route combos. We were calling pass routes from the stands, no doubt dallas could tell what was coming, but if they want to play man outside they simply can't stop those routes.

Keep it up bevell.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ai5urnm said:
Dallas runs a lot of routes very similar in concept to us. Receivers have to beat their man, and the qb has to recognize it as it happens. And anticipate.

The score was ugly, but yesterday was a huge step forward for this offense from a play calling perspective, simply because we ran so many two man route combos. We were calling pass routes from the stands, no doubt dallas could tell what was coming, but if they want to play man outside they simply can't stop those routes.

Keep it up bevell.

I noticed that too, there were a few key 3rd down pickups late in the game that used route combos and legal picks.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I thought the over all game plan was pretty good. They implemented quicker passes and a moving pocket to stay away from Hardy. I would've liked them to run the ball a bit more in the first half, but Dallas was playing well, way over their talent level.

That said, situational play calling is terrible. Low percentage long sideline throws on 3rd and 4 are never going to make me really happy. Once in a while, fine. Especially if you're in FG range, but 3rd and 4 is makeable, so why throw the play away on a play that good teams make at around 35% of the time ?

End of the game was terrible. Of course, it's in the red zone, where I'm convinced that every play we have is on some sort of cocktail napkin. We run an outside zone stretch and Lynch gets knocked out of bounds. Then, with 2:07 left, we run the ball again. Here is the perfect time to win the game and do something unexpected: pass the damn ball. Here's the deal: line up heavy and go with PA to Matthews on the outside, or Graham lined up inline on a play fake. Just make sure you burn the same 7 seconds you did with the run play, which isn't hard with Wilson. You either throw it quickly on a sure TD, or run around playground style then huck it out of bounds. Hell, Wilson might even get a rush opportunity to punch it in on a scramble, although it's doubtful in a compressed field.

What do we do ? Run it, when the defense KNOWS what's coming. We run a whopping 7 seconds off the clock. Then after the 2 minute warning, we throw the ball, when the defense KNOWS it's coming. We were going to throw the ball anyways, why not do it on the other side of the 2 minute warning ? Then run your running play, kick the FG and give the ball back to the Cowboys with about 30 seconds instead of a minute and a half.

Just one example of play calling a game not to lose it, instead of winning it. Carpenter kicked a 53 yard FG this game that would've been good from 63. The Cowboys were down by 1 point. Go for the freaking TD please.

On the bright side, we still won the game.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Dallas d might be a bunch of jags, but they play with pace and discipline.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":dg3ws5a1 said:
Scottemojo":dg3ws5a1 said:

Keep it up bevell.

I noticed that too, there were a few key 3rd down pickups late in the game that used route combos and legal picks.

I think the picks have always been a staple of our offense. What I noticed more of was the slants and crossers.